This is driving me mad.... | ExpatWoman.com

This is driving me mad....

Latest post on 05 October 2013 - 10:15
Well ladies, thanks for all you kind words of advice & experiences. Last night I think we finally cracked it!! I got home at about 2pm after being out & heard nothing!! I was hoping that she had got home before me & gone to bed. BUT at 6 am she comes home (I think I am going to have to get to know this girl as she seems to know how to party) a very very short amount of footsteps heard and then nothing!!!!! I think she actually took her shoes off!!! I don't want to say success toooo early but Succ.....
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 19:43
I well understand how the OP must feel but I have to admit that at 55 I really do wish the inconsiderate neighbour all the high heels and middle of the night antics she can get. You get to an age where you spend most of the night summoning up the energy to do what you previously spent all night doing. Those were the days. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 04/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 12:26
Now that's what I call hinting outside of the box. I'm going to find out who lives above her ;-)
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 12:14
Make friends with the unit above hers. Get clod hoppers of your own. Enjoy an early morning game Oone a PS dance mat.
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 12:09
I can save a little poop present from my dog for you to leave at her front door if you want!!! Would make her clomping shoes a mess!!!! edited by littleone on 04/10/2013 Or we EWers could form a vigilante mob, get behind you with torches and things ...
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 11:38
May even help to muffle down the stomping noise!
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 10:36
I can save a little poop present from my dog for you to leave at her front door if you want!!! Would make her clomping shoes a mess!!!! <em>edited by littleone on 04/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 10:29
Actually, when I get back from my travel I will go to security and ask the to have word with her. I'm just too tired to deal with the hassle now. The first note was a polite one, the second still polite but a little more obvious. I'm just glad that I am out of my apartment until next week, which I know is a sad thing to say but it's true. And yes she is being inconsiderate.
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 10:20
Sadly SH12, you are dealing with a selfish person who does not give a sh*t about you or anyone else! The only way to make these people learn, is to be an inconvenience to them! You've gone down the polite route, where did it get you? Nowhere, she deliberately went ahead and disturbed you - that's the kind of mentality you are dealing with. On your next note, state clearly that this is the second chance you're giving her to act like a considerate human-being, if she continues, the next complaint will go to security, then to building management, then to her landlord! Don't be a pushover.
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 10:19
I would have gone to see her before writing, sounds like she might have taken offence and is making more noise out of spite. Go down to security and tell them to have a word with her.
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 10:15
Have thought about that but: a) my ceilings are big & I don't really want to be balancing on stuff b) it would mark my ceiling & then I would have to get it painted c) two wrongs don't make a right But I have thought about recording the noise and if & when I do get face to face with my neighbor I could play it back to her.
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 10:12
SH12, when she's home and has finished prancing about and has obviously gone to bed, why not bash on the ceiling with a broom? Give her a taste of her own medicine. If you have an audio recorder,record the racket she's making.
Latest post on 04 October 2013 - 08:03
Well what a surprise... NOT At 2am this morning she is back to stomping around her bedroom in her heels. So after being woken up again I get up at 7am and write another note explaining that the last one was obviously not blunt enough. STOP wearing your heels around your bedroom at night as it is waking me up!!! Went upstairs to stick it her door and well, the other note is still on the door. I can tell its been read. She's obviously read it and thought sod you and continued to prance about her bedroom. So once again I am knackered!!! Thankfully I am traveling now until the end of next week but if this continues I can see me knocking in her door (which I probably should have done first) and being a little short with her!!! Happy weekend everyone!!!
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 17:32
Ditto to the chair-pad things, and just the request face to face. We've had a few neighbours over the years though who have just refused. Or loved to wear clogs at 3am ;) And as for living in some apartments in Bur Dubai, where there is 'the sound' of a cricket bat being battered off the floor upstairs - yet you go up to speak to the neighbours and all is calm and serene in their house - just odd but apparently very common in these apartments?! Used to drive me round the bend. I've also been on the other side of the fence with a very bouncy child, but it's a good opportunity to teach them what are indoor noises and what are outdoor noises. I had the same issue as OP however not in DXB and many years back. In an old apartment building the lady above had 3 and 5 yr oldthat never got to play outside.They both ran up and down with moms high heels on. Went up to speak to her and introduce myself and got told off for my trouble. This went on for two years I bit my tongue feeling sorry for the kids, until the day I came out of hospital where I had spent2 weeks on a drip after nearly miscarrying due to severe morning sickness. I was just too ill to trek upstairs and ask her to PLEASE quiet her kids down and took the broom handle and kept on banging it on the roof. Well that evening when her OH got home ( my DH was away ) he came down stairs and proceeded to knock down my front door.I immediately phoned the police but luckily my neighbour on the other side heard the commotion and stopped him before he managed to break the door down. Once the police arrived and took him away it transpired that he was high and drunk and faced serious charges. I was rushed back into hospital and nearly miscarried again,luckily he is now a 6'2 dad himself. Consideration is the key and yes it is very difficult with little ones in an apartment but as TB said a good chance to remind kids of inside behaviour and outside behaviour. edited by Nomad on 03/10/2013 <em>edited by Nomad on 03/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 15:23
Ditto to the chair-pad things, and just the request face to face. We've had a few neighbours over the years though who have just refused. Or loved to wear clogs at 3am ;) And as for living in some apartments in Bur Dubai, where there is 'the sound' of a cricket bat being battered off the floor upstairs - yet you go up to speak to the neighbours and all is calm and serene in their house - just odd but apparently very common in these apartments?! Used to drive me round the bend. I've also been on the other side of the fence with a very bouncy child, but it's a good opportunity to teach them what are indoor noises and what are outdoor noises.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 15:19
Go to Daiso and buy some of those little pads things you can stick to the bottom of chair legs, they work like a dream to stop the dragging sound. Take them upstairs and ask her nicely to put them on the chairs. When I first lived in an apartment I really didn't realise how loud I was being when I was getting ready for a night out, clattering back and forth in heels, until my neighbour came and asked me to stop. I was MORTIFIED and have been super conscious of it ever since. Give her the benefit of the doubt, she may genuinely not realise how much she disturbs you be polite and reasonable and try and offer solutions (eg the chair pad thingys, would it be possible to take heels off at the door?) not just a problem. Good luck OP.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 13:44
When I come home from a night out I go up to their apartment at 1am or 2am and I stand there ringing the door bell for ages, just so it wakes their whole family up. . if you did that to me, i would call the police and tell them a drunk woman was banging on my door. i can't believe that you think that this is acceptable behaviour. So would I. I don't think being drunk is an acceptable excuse for such appalling and juvenile behaviour but it's the only excuse I can think of (other than being a complete sociopath) so im a racist and a sociopath now? Cant wait for what you will brand me next week...... I can think of a few things :D
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 13:42
jeez, what happened to women's solidarity??? stop being such witches to each other, seriously! i agree with the OP, there is nothign more wearing and soul-destroying than inconsiderate neighbours - no matter what the cause. trikes, etc should not be ridden inside. kids running up and down the landings/hallways in apartments is a no-no. and nobody should have to wear ear plugs in their own home, as a result, surely? try talking to her, send her a note - and when all else fails, call the police. i have done it, it works. we are all entitled to some peace and quiet in our own homes. I couldn't agree more. You know it is such a shame. Just becuse I got woken up early this morning by the above apt, I then post on here and as direct resut women are now insulting or making mass assumptions about and against each other. I wonder if my neighbours late night sh@g was really worth all this stress!!?? I just hope you did not send her the snippy little note someone suggested implying that her behavior is illegal...if you have not met her it is entirely possible she is a married woman. having late nights, wearing high heels and the odd **** does not rule out that possibility - even though you be hard pressed to believe it reading this thread. Having lived in apartments for years now I take a live and live approach.. There is a reasonable amount of noise you can expect at certain times.. in does not include children rampaging through the halls all day or late night hammering and loud parties.. All those living with children in apartments are not automatically to be excused just as all single woman are not all party loving, drunk, sluts. The best solution is always the kindest approach first.. speak to them before sending snippy notes implying they are breaking the law or calling the police. I made no mention of breaking the law or calling the police. Just said hi I'm your neighbour, welcome to the building.... would you mind taking off your shoes if you get home late as the noise travels down and wakes me up....please take this as a kind note.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 13:39
jeez, what happened to women's solidarity??? stop being such witches to each other, seriously! i agree with the OP, there is nothign more wearing and soul-destroying than inconsiderate neighbours - no matter what the cause. trikes, etc should not be ridden inside. kids running up and down the landings/hallways in apartments is a no-no. and nobody should have to wear ear plugs in their own home, as a result, surely? try talking to her, send her a note - and when all else fails, call the police. i have done it, it works. we are all entitled to some peace and quiet in our own homes. I couldn't agree more. You know it is such a shame. Just becuse I got woken up early this morning by the above apt, I then post on here and as direct resut women are now insulting or making mass assumptions about and against each other. I wonder if my neighbours late night sh@g was really worth all this stress!!?? I just hope you did not send her the snippy little note someone suggested implying that her behavior is illegal...if you have not met her it is entirely possible she is a married woman. having late nights, wearing high heels and the odd **** does not rule out that possibility - even though you be hard pressed to believe it reading this thread. Having lived in apartments for years now I take a live and live approach.. There is a reasonable amount of noise you can expect at certain times.. in does not include children rampaging through the halls all day or late night hammering and loud parties.. All those living with children in apartments are not automatically to be excused just as all single woman are not all party loving, drunk, sluts. The best solution is always the kindest approach first.. speak to them before sending snippy notes implying they are breaking the law or calling the police.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 13:27
jeez, what happened to women's solidarity??? stop being such witches to each other, seriously! i agree with the OP, there is nothign more wearing and soul-destroying than inconsiderate neighbours - no matter what the cause. trikes, etc should not be ridden inside. kids running up and down the landings/hallways in apartments is a no-no. and nobody should have to wear ear plugs in their own home, as a result, surely? try talking to her, send her a note - and when all else fails, call the police. i have done it, it works. we are all entitled to some peace and quiet in our own homes. I couldn't agree more. You know it is such a shame. Just becuse I got woken up early this morning by the above apt, I then post on here and as direct resut women are now insulting or making mass assumptions about and against each other. I wonder if my neighbours late night sh@g was really worth all this stress!!??
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 13:10
Getting someone back by ringing on their doorbell is hardly mature behavior though is it? Two wrongs all that? this isnt about being mature or not. I dont find it funny or amusing by the way... I guess if you live day in, day out with the constant noise and you suffering from sleep deprivation, are unable to enjoy your days at home etc then after a while it makes you do irrational things. If you have exhausted all the other options then the only way you can make them understand the misery they are putting on you is to do it back to them. Unfortunately, you're running against the tide arguing kids. It really is not going to end in your favour. Unless you unlock a secret to making children act and think like adults, and then you'll be so wealthy you'll never share a building again :) If it is highly disturbing, I'd consider moving. That is simply the nature of children. And to the poster who said to take them outside - have you gone out of your air conditioner for an hour today? Apartment living is sacrifice. If it is two competing adults, that is negotiable. If it is against a pre-teen, if the mother is doing her best but they are still making noise, then your frustration is moot. <em>edited by EmmaRitz on 03/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:58
Surely most people living in these poorly made apartment blocks would expect to hear noise especially when they all have marble flooring.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:57
Getting someone back by ringing on their doorbell is hardly mature behavior though is it? Two wrongs all that? this isnt about being mature or not. I dont find it funny or amusing by the way... I guess if you live day in, day out with the constant noise and you suffering from sleep deprivation, are unable to enjoy your days at home etc then after a while it makes you do irrational things. If you have exhausted all the other options then the only way you can make them understand the misery they are putting on you is to do it back to them.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:50
Getting someone back by ringing on their doorbell is hardly mature behavior though is it? Two wrongs all that?
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:49
jeez, what happened to women's solidarity??? stop being such witches to each other, seriously! i agree with the OP, there is nothign more wearing and soul-destroying than inconsiderate neighbours - no matter what the cause. trikes, etc should not be ridden inside. kids running up and down the landings/hallways in apartments is a no-no. and nobody should have to wear ear plugs in their own home, as a result, surely? try talking to her, send her a note - and when all else fails, call the police. i have done it, it works. we are all entitled to some peace and quiet in our own homes. *like
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:46
jeez, what happened to women's solidarity??? stop being such witches to each other, seriously! i agree with the OP, there is nothign more wearing and soul-destroying than inconsiderate neighbours - no matter what the cause. trikes, etc should not be ridden inside. kids running up and down the landings/hallways in apartments is a no-no. and nobody should have to wear ear plugs in their own home, as a result, surely? try talking to her, send her a note - and when all else fails, call the police. i have done it, it works. we are all entitled to some peace and quiet in our own homes.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:40
When I come home from a night out I go up to their apartment at 1am or 2am and I stand there ringing the door bell for ages, just so it wakes their whole family up. . if you did that to me, i would call the police and tell them a drunk woman was banging on my door. i can't believe that you think that this is acceptable behaviour. So would I. I don't think being drunk is an acceptable excuse for such appalling and juvenile behaviour but it's the only excuse I can think of (other than being a complete sociopath) so im a racist and a sociopath now? Cant wait for what you will brand me next week......
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:25
When I come home from a night out I go up to their apartment at 1am or 2am and I stand there ringing the door bell for ages, just so it wakes their whole family up. . if you did that to me, i would call the police and tell them a drunk woman was banging on my door. i can't believe that you think that this is acceptable behaviour. So would I. I don't think being drunk is an acceptable excuse for such appalling and juvenile behaviour but it's the only excuse I can think of (other than being a complete sociopath)
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:10
During the day I couldn't give two hoots ( Excuse the pun) On weekends wack a pair of earplugs in We can't really complain about kids running around during the day? Not everyone can afford a villa and if you were banging on my door at 1am to get me back for my kids making noise during the day, well that is better left unsaid.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 12:09
When I come home from a night out I go up to their apartment at 1am or 2am and I stand there ringing the door bell for ages, just so it wakes their whole family up. . if you did that to me, i would call the police and tell them a drunk woman was banging on my door. i can't believe that you think that this is acceptable behaviour. Who are you to assume I am drunk? I wouldn't expect a sober person to ring my doorbell like that at that time in the morning !! lol

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY