New canal project | ExpatWoman.com

New canal project

Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 14:14
Looks fab !! why do people always moan about these things.... ?? and i wonder when was the last time that those moaning actually went to Safa park? January. But we live nowhere near Safa Park. We visit one of Dubai's too few public parks at least every other weekend and often every week. Will do so more now that the weather is cooling off. Few? I'd say that there are a lot of big and small public parks here, especially for a desert city! So you've invested 3AED in your campaign to save Safa :)
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 13:43
Well it would be lovely if they actually finished all the other 'under construction' projects first before launching new ones. Still waiting - 7 years on, for the other Canal to be finished in Sport City! Dubai is a constant construction site - do you really think tourists want to come and be stuck in traffic jams for hours on end and 'try' to get to places? No, people want to come somewhere with good infrastructure, that is 'easy' - Dubai is far from 'easy' at the moment. In terms of road infrastructure, Dubai is just about perfect now, or would be near perfect with the completion of Umm Suqeim Expressway. Once the 3 roads have construction started, it all depends on what barriers are put and whether any lanes are closed or not that will decide the congestion. Any lane closure on Wasl Road or SZR will cause a lot of problems
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 13:40
Looks fab !! why do people always moan about these things.... ?? Maybe because they will be the ones stuck for 4 hours in a car everyday ? :)
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 13:33
Looks fab !! why do people always moan about these things.... ?? and i wonder when was the last time that those moaning actually went to Safa park? January. But we live nowhere near Safa Park. We visit one of Dubai's too few public parks at least every other weekend and often every week. Will do so more now that the weather is cooling off. Few? I'd say that there are a lot of big and small public parks here, especially for a desert city!
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 13:31
Well it would be lovely if they actually finished all the other 'under construction' projects first before launching new ones. Still waiting - 7 years on, for the other Canal to be finished in Sport City! Dubai is a constant construction site - do you really think tourists want to come and be stuck in traffic jams for hours on end and 'try' to get to places? No, people want to come somewhere with good infrastructure, that is 'easy' - Dubai is far from 'easy' at the moment.
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 13:27
Looks fab !! why do people always moan about these things.... ?? and i wonder when was the last time that those moaning actually went to Safa park? January. But we live nowhere near Safa Park. We visit one of Dubai's too few public parks at least every other weekend and often every week. Will do so more now that the weather is cooling off.
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 13:14
Looks fab !! why do people always moan about these things.... ?? and i wonder when was the last time that those moaning actually went to Safa park?
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 13:12
Looks fab !! why do people always moan about these things.... ??
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 10:45
Zabeel Park has lots of kids and families playing in the good weather. But when time is of the essence and you have more to do than just kids things, a mall stop can streamline the itinerary...
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 10:41
This really makes me sad. I wish the powers that be would recognise just how important places like Safa Park are to many many people here. We dont need another shopping mall, we dont need another 'integrated leisure destination', we really really dont need more man made water bodies. we need more large open green spaces. Anyone else find the advertisement on the radio for the new children's play area at Wafi maddening? They bill it as a play area designed to be just like a park. It's cooler in Dubai now. Take your kids to the gosh darn park not an indoor play area designed to look like one! (Oh wait, that would mean you'd actually have to stay with them at the park and couldn't drop them off unsupervised--or "supervised" by an unimpowered nanny--and do your shopping.) Lots of parents leave heir children with nannies at the park, though...
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 10:40
The world of the future we were told of as children :) Thneadville :) <em>edited by EmmaRitz on 06/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 10:31
This really makes me sad. I wish the powers that be would recognise just how important places like Safa Park are to many many people here. We dont need another shopping mall, we dont need another 'integrated leisure destination', we really really dont need more man made water bodies. we need more large open green spaces. Anyone else find the advertisement on the radio for the new children's play area at Wafi maddening? They bill it as a play area designed to be just like a park. It's cooler in Dubai now. Take your kids to the gosh darn park not an indoor play area designed to look like one! (Oh wait, that would mean you'd actually have to stay with them at the park and couldn't drop them off unsupervised--or "supervised" by an unimpowered nanny--and do your shopping.)
Latest post on 06 October 2013 - 10:25
www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/dubai-to-get-100-storey-plus-megatall-tower-2013-10-06-1.523524 Another tower on SZR. Those wanting Dubai to keep the old things should prepare to get frustrated a lot. Dubai will convert to a full, fast nobing, Singapore style city.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 19:26
But... Tourists are the cash cows, not residents. How many tourists say 'oh, I can't wait to visit Dubai! Safa Park is at its' best this time of year!" Not many. And Zabeel Park was built to troubleshoot resident woes. Most Safa park visitors don't enter, they just do the running track on the outer. And that is free. But tourists will spend to take a boat ride along a Venice-esque $$ canal around the picturesque Burj K, Downtown area, taking memorable Instagrams of the SZR skyline, $$ central to the Manhattan style Dubai Island that is home to all of the palaces. A coffee in the fresh $$ winter on a canal restaurant, a walk along the promenade, stopping at overpriced boutique $$ specialty stores... It also separates old Dubai from new Dubai. Distinguishing the elite, high spending tourists from the beach loving, casual or party loving tourists. Satwa is another cash cow, though. I wouldn't think that would go in the next decade, it is a moneyville. <em>edited by EmmaRitz on 03/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 18:05
Malls and canals :)
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 17:59
I was so hoping that the original plans would be scrapped. So much of Old Dubai has gone, yes tourists come to see all the 'new' bigger ,better and taller buildings but there is still room to keep a gem like Safa Park .What DXB really needs is a NEW ZOO a really bigger and better one than the excuse they have now.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 17:45
This really makes me sad. I wish the powers that be would recognise just how important places like Safa Park are to many many people here. We dont need another shopping mall, we dont need another 'integrated leisure destination', we really really dont need more man made water bodies. we need more large open green spaces.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 17:22
If they don't go forward and just focus on perfecting what is already here, Dubai will lose some of its charm, as a lot of tourists come to see what's new. Strategy. edited by EmmaRitz on 03/10/2013 There is plenty of space to build new stuff, and that is what is being done with the Zoo, Dubailand etc.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 17:20
Remember the plan to demolish Satwa with one comment still lingering in my head, something on the lines of "you cannot afford to have such unglamorous areas so close to Burj Dubai" My personal opinion is that unless managed brilliantly, this Canal project will cause extreme traffic problems. That part of Dubai is one of the efficient ones, with heavy traffic flow, but all is reasonably smooth and in a sort of unstable equilibrium. I
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 17:19
I'm sure when many of us heard that the villas/jetty were to be destroyed to build the Burj Al Arab we thought noooo! But that was the correct decision for Dubai. And remember the first pictures of Burj Khalifa on the Billboard near where it was to be built?! But all the decisions made so far have been right. :) (Would like my creek to stay how it is though...... :D )
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 17:12
If they don't go forward and just focus on perfecting what is already here, Dubai will lose some of its charm, as a lot of tourists come to see what's new. More money is made off tourists than off tight residents who've learnt to not spend. But it speaks volumes of society today. We can have anything we want these days. If I want brown eyes, I'll buy them, if I want bigger boobs, I'll buy them, longer hair, blonde hair, browner skin, longer eye lashes, bigger lips, a 20 year younger face... All at the tip of my purse. Why wouldn't a country known for aesthetic ambiance do more and more to further poise (:D) that reputation? Dubai is a cash dusted tourist top destination. This means money. Photo ops. Strategy. <em>edited by EmmaRitz on 03/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 16:05
Why can't they focus on improving the current infrastructure (i.e. basic roadworks) instead of taking on new projects like this? A simple, tiny little park in TECOM would be well received. Seems to be the new hot spot for families as it's one of the only affordable places left in New Dubai. Sadly, the kids are left to play in the building lobby as there's nowhere nearby for them to play.
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 15:42
I thought this, sadly, summed it up nicely: http://fakeplasticsouks.blogspot.ae/2013/10/the-dubai-canal-is-archive-doomed.html
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 15:37
as i was pulling into Safa last night i saw 2 Mercedes G class leaving - i wondered which Sheikh it was .... then i saw a million local men and no parking.... i wondered what had gone on.... Now i know. I hope this wont change Safa park too much - i love that place
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 15:33
I wonder how this will affect resident of certain areas and the traffic https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.7daysindubai.com%2FPHOTOS-Images-released-impressions-Dubai-Water%2Fstory-19875436-detail%2Fstory.html&h=EAQEmrJDe&s=1 http://www.7daysindubai.com/PHOTOS-Images-released-impressions-Dubai-Water/story-19875436-detail/story.html I dread to think - it is already a nightmare coming into Business Bay in the mornings, the new hotel (old Metropolitan site) has asked people to stop using the construction road, which we have all ignored, or SZR is going to become a constant pileup!!
Latest post on 03 October 2013 - 15:30
I wonder how this will affect resident of certain areas and the traffic https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.7daysindubai.com%2FPHOTOS-Images-released-impressions-Dubai-Water%2Fstory-19875436-detail%2Fstory.html&h=EAQEmrJDe&s=1

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY