M & S staff unable to speak basic Arabic........seriously.. | ExpatWoman.com

M & S staff unable to speak basic Arabic........seriously..

Latest post on 08 October 2013 - 22:33

I watched as a man and his wife asked the cashier in M&S how much a bottle of water was. The sales lady kept on saying 3 and a half dirhams, but the couple looked clueless. In the end I told them in a Arabic, but how can the sales staff not know how to count to 3 in Arabic?
Dubai has gone to the dogs.

Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 15:26
Its not about the cashier speaking basic Arabic words, as much as its about customer service! I mean, If i am at the cashier, and I didn't understand the language spoken by a customer, the least i would do is call some one who can help and speak the customer's language! That's basic customer service. Why make the customer feel embarrassed over finding out how much the bottle cost? AND, M&S is living off the Gulf nation! especially Saudis! so M&S need to accommodate more to their audience by hiring staff who can at least speak some Arabic words, or train them to do so! In Paris, in the Chanel store, they have Chinese sales assistance more than french LOL When i asked why, she looked at me in a strange look and said, look around you, and you can know why! How about this ? M and S hire locals ? Ummmmmm.................... There are many locals working at M&S....what's your point exactly?? but you said in YOUR post that " AND, M&S is living off the Gulf nation! especially Saudis! so M&S need to accommodate more to their audience by hiring staff who can at least speak some Arabic words, or train them to do so!" and i asked why they didn't? and now you come back and say "There are many locals working at M&S....what's your point exactly??" so which is it? They do employ them already OR they don't?
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 10:40
I found the sales staff in M&S were dreadful. It took me half an hour to return some of DH's trousers and exchange for the next size up - then they tried to fob me off with a pair that had a hole in, and then put them back on the shop floor when I rejected them. I said NO - someone else will pick them up, they need to go in the discount bin. And don't get me started on their bra fitting - not a clue. Ive never been measured round my waist then up by the n!pple for a bra. Apparently I am 1 back size bigger and 2 cup sizes larger than my actual size. Jesus wept. Sorry but the bra fitting story made me howl!
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 10:06
I think she meant as sales staff yes, as sales staff. as staff on the ground, helping customers, including my self, in getting sizes, fitting rooms, cashier... Thats good, so as you said it is a customer service issue; cashier needed to get someone or at least use sign language or calculator
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 10:03
This has been the most entertaining thread since I can't remember. Go to it, ladies. You're doing 'us' proud. And I didn't even need popcorn to enjoy it.
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 10:03
I think she meant as sales staff yes, as sales staff. as staff on the ground, helping customers, including my self, in getting sizes, fitting rooms, cashier...
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 10:01
I think she meant as sales staff
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 09:59
Its not about the cashier speaking basic Arabic words, as much as its about customer service! I mean, If i am at the cashier, and I didn't understand the language spoken by a customer, the least i would do is call some one who can help and speak the customer's language! That's basic customer service. Why make the customer feel embarrassed over finding out how much the bottle cost? AND, M&S is living off the Gulf nation! especially Saudis! so M&S need to accommodate more to their audience by hiring staff who can at least speak some Arabic words, or train them to do so! In Paris, in the Chanel store, they have Chinese sales assistance more than french LOL When i asked why, she looked at me in a strange look and said, look around you, and you can know why! How about this ? M and S hire locals ? Ummmmmm.................... There are many locals working at M&S....what's your point exactly??
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 08:26
Hilarious! [i'>"...he 26-year-old has been casually dropping words such as ‘shukran’ and ‘halas’ into conversations as if by accident.[/i'>"
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 08:21
or at least learn how to say Shukran, Khalas and Yalla [url=http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wordpress/returning-expat-wows-hometown-with-fluent-grasp-of-about-three-arabic-words/'>link[/url'> ;) I giggled at the comment "Another story heard in Egypt. A missionary returned to the US from his work in Egypt and at church the congregation asked him to say a prayer in Arabic. He didn’t know any but he had learned how to count. So he began, wahid, tnayn, tlati and a voice from the back joined in, arb`a…"
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 08:15
[b'>Just on a side.... do people not think its a little rude to move to a county and not learn the basics of the local language.... [/b'> One of the first things that i did when i moved to the region was to enroll myself in an Arabic course... My Arabic is still awful mid, but i can read, write and understand basic conversations. or at least learn how to say Shukran, Khalas and Yalla [url=http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wordpress/returning-expat-wows-hometown-with-fluent-grasp-of-about-three-arabic-words/'>link[/url'> ;) Lol I went to my local library, got a book on Dubai and sat there learning words. The first time I heard one in use was in the bus on the way to uni, on the radio I heard 'Asalam wa alaikum', and all I could think was 'that is it! That is the saying in the book!" As I'd pronounced it much differently. But I'm very shy to speak it.
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 08:10
I think Dubai, much more than the other Emirate, gave everyone the luxury to not need to know as tourism is their main priority, and English is an accommodating language. Even though Chinese and French are widely spoken, most countries teach English as well as their native tongue. I'm still trying to learn. Everyone told me not to as they were trying to learn English off me. So anything I learnt I had to teach myself and get DD to teach me. For the parents - do you ever get your school going kids to speak or read Arabic for you? There's a whole youth learning Arabic in school, do you use that?
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 08:02
[b'>Just on a side.... do people not think its a little rude to move to a county and not learn the basics of the local language.... [/b'> One of the first things that i did when i moved to the region was to enroll myself in an Arabic course... My Arabic is still awful mid, but i can read, write and understand basic conversations. or at least learn how to say Shukran, Khalas and Yalla [url=http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wordpress/returning-expat-wows-hometown-with-fluent-grasp-of-about-three-arabic-words/'>link[/url'> ;)
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 07:53
Just on a side.... do people not think its a little rude to move to a county and not learn the basics of the local language.... One of the first things that i did when i moved to the region was to enroll myself in an Arabic course... My Arabic is still awful mid, but i can read, write and understand basic conversations.
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 07:46
Very true, nomad. Most locals I know don't care if you speak Arabic or not. When I tried to learn I often got told not to worry as they wanted to learn English. But there's a difference between someone saying 'sorry, I don't understand', and someone saying 'no, I do not want to learn, everyone speaks my language'. But again, this to me is a pure customer service issue. Not a language one. If I were in that position, and I saw a quite unwell woman, I'd write the number 4 on a piece of paper, or show 4 fingers, or look around and ask someone - I think many people actually do know 1-10 (even look at a promotional ad - they've normally got 4 in Arabic for phone numbers, or look at a five dirham note and draw the five. I mean the list is endless on how this needn't have been a situation. Common sense. The guy obviously managed to convey that he wanted to know the price, not that he wanted to know if this was all they had, what other bottle sizes they have etc. Customer service has gone to the dogs. But hey,mi bet some people who read this went and learnt how to count to ten in Arabic last night :)
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 22:54
If the hits on this thread were currency, OP would have made five grand out of 3 dirhams! Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 22:20
Most shops I have been have Arab speaking staff working there. But honestly, WHAT is the issue here?
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 21:26
Just an observation here not wanting to get in the middle of anything..... When I first came to the Gulf many years back most of the shop assistants spoke a smattering of Arabic in fact it really impressed the heck out of me. BUT it was a very different place to what it is now,smaller less flashy. Personally I think DXB as it is now is a victim of its own success,the small considerate things are being pushed aside to accommodate growth and chase that $. <em>edited by Nomad on 09/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 21:09
We all cope when we go to foreign countries. If the woman was so desperate for water why didnt the man just give her 10 dirhams and wait for the change? I'm still sure that everything in M&S is marked with a price; certainly all the items in the fridges, from where the water probably came, have signs displaying the price. edited by A Rancher on 09/10/2013 They had a couple of coins and the rest were large Saudi Bills, Can everyone on here read Arabic numbers? STOP making excuses for this. Just out of interest, what did he do? Did he have enough coins or did he use one of the big Saudi bills (most shops accept Gulf currencies) or had he a small UAE note or did he not buy it or bid you give him coins? You raised the issue and people are entitled to give a different perspective to yours.
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 19:49
We all cope when we go to foreign countries. If the woman was so desperate for water why didnt the man just give her 10 dirhams and wait for the change? I'm still sure that everything in M&S is marked with a price; certainly all the items in the fridges, from where the water probably came, have signs displaying the price. edited by A Rancher on 09/10/2013 They had a couple of coins and the rest were large Saudi Bills, Can everyone on here read Arabic numbers? STOP making excuses for this. He will have problems all over Dubai and the rest of the world. Why are you so irate over this man and his bottle of water? I assume he must be used to not communicating with others if he cant speak a word of English.
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 19:42
I visited a local bank yesterday, a trainee girl in her abaya was giving away tokens. I know how to speak basic Arabic, but to my surprise she didn't even bother to attempt to speak her language (I am presuming here). She asked me what I need in broken English and it took her time to understand what I wanted.. Tell me how to respond to OP's post... To be honest the whole of Dubai has been built as a carbon copy of the West. Whether people accept here or not but I have witnessed here how everyone tries to imitates European life and the accent they try to copy (oh God!). As for the salesgirl, (I stated this earlier) knowing Arabic must not have been a prerequisite. Let's not crucify the girl, it's the recruiter and the store owners. Yes, being polite and sensible is her responsibility.
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 19:38
We all cope when we go to foreign countries. If the woman was so desperate for water why didnt the man just give her 10 dirhams and wait for the change? I'm still sure that everything in M&S is marked with a price; certainly all the items in the fridges, from where the water probably came, have signs displaying the price. edited by A Rancher on 09/10/2013 They had a couple of coins and the rest were large Saudi Bills, Can everyone on here read Arabic numbers? STOP making excuses for this.
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 19:23
Just to clarify, the man had money in his hand and was asking in Arabic, his request was clear, even if he did not speak. All I am saying is 1-10 would be enough for a cashier. Not if it's three dirhams FIFTY :D
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 19:12
May I ask... What is the vendetta so many have against locals? They're used as the pun in the joke, eyes rolled at them, scoffed off against... What did they, as a whole, actually do to victimise you? I've had some run ins, but I've had run ins with people from my country but I don't have smart Alec remarks about the whole culture because of it. Ok, so you'd never see locals at MS, but I've seen them working counters at Spinneys and Co-OP. Not all locals are loaded. Some, especially from the older generation, did not go to uni, do not speak English as, surprise surprise, they were not taught at school, unlike you who then luckily landed in a place that accommodated your inability to communicate. Bit these ones would not put their applications in as preceding them is a presumption that they are incapable or too expensive. So those with the local vendetta, get the chip off your shoulder. Your perception is made by yourself and not in an educated manner. I think you are the one with the chip on your shoulder - who is scoffing ? I said in a serious manner why are there not locals in M and S on the shopfloor ? Is it a management thing ? <em>edited by QueenL on 09/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 18:40
We all cope when we go to foreign countries. If the woman was so desperate for water why didnt the man just give her 10 dirhams and wait for the change?[/quot This is so sensible! Whenever I'm in a foreign country & unsure of the price, I make a reasonable guess then round up to the nearest note. It's not like you're going to get ripped off over a bottle of water in M&S . The cashier could have held up 4 fingers, but any finger gestures here can be misconstrued. Common sense works both ways, so the customer could have held out a palmful of change or a small note to the cashier to pay and then received his change. I'm still sure that everything in M&S is marked with a price; certainly all the items in the fridges, from where the water probably came, have signs displaying the price. <em>edited by A Rancher on 09/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 18:26
May I ask... What is the vendetta so many have against locals? They're used as the pun in the joke, eyes rolled at them, scoffed off against... What did they, as a whole, actually do to victimise you? I've had some run ins, but I've had run ins with people from my country but I don't have smart Alec remarks about the whole culture because of it. Ok, so you'd never see locals at MS, but I've seen them working counters at Spinneys and Co-OP. Not all locals are loaded. Some, especially from the older generation, did not go to uni, do not speak English as, surprise surprise, they were not taught at school, unlike you who then luckily landed in a place that accommodated your inability to communicate. Bit these ones would not put their applications in as preceding them is a presumption that they are incapable or too expensive. So those with the local vendetta, get the chip off your shoulder. Your perception is made by yourself and not in an educated manner.
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 18:25
We all cope when we go to foreign countries. If the woman was so desperate for water why didnt the man just give her 10 dirhams and wait for the change?
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 17:17
Its not about the cashier speaking basic Arabic words, as much as its about customer service! I mean, If i am at the cashier, and I didn't understand the language spoken by a customer, the least i would do is call some one who can help and speak the customer's language! That's basic customer service. Why make the customer feel embarrassed over finding out how much the bottle cost? AND, M&S is living off the Gulf nation! especially Saudis! so M&S need to accommodate more to their audience by hiring staff who can at least speak some Arabic words, or train them to do so! In Paris, in the Chanel store, they have Chinese sales assistance more than french LOL When i asked why, she looked at me in a strange look and said, look around you, and you can know why! How about this ? M and S hire locals ? Ummmmmm....................
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 15:38
Another one to add to Dubai Tragedies http://thatguynoman-blog.com/2013/05/13/dubai-tragedies-based-on-real-life-accounts is this the same one you posted on the other thread ?? sorry but in my opinion it's an inappropriate use of the word tragedy - it's been done before, and better, anyway !! It's the same one but I didn't post it, just read it and it made me smile. Not sure what you mean by inappropriate use of the word. For me it's tragic just what annoys folk over here. sorry, my mistake... The original was called Expat problems or something - a tragedy for me usually involves a death or horrible accident...not breaking a nail...just my opinion. WOW! It's just a word. Sadly more linked to death but so are a lot of other words. I'll consider myself well and truly told off. Good day lol - I did apologise...
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 15:32
Another one to add to Dubai Tragedies http://thatguynoman-blog.com/2013/05/13/dubai-tragedies-based-on-real-life-accounts is this the same one you posted on the other thread ?? sorry but in my opinion it's an inappropriate use of the word tragedy - it's been done before, and better, anyway !! It's the same one but I didn't post it, just read it and it made me smile. Not sure what you mean by inappropriate use of the word. For me it's tragic just what annoys folk over here. sorry, my mistake... The original was called Expat problems or something - a tragedy for me usually involves a death or horrible accident...not breaking a nail...just my opinion. WOW! It's just a word. Sadly more linked to death but so are a lot of other words. I'll consider myself well and truly told off. Good day
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 15:21
Another one to add to Dubai Tragedies http://thatguynoman-blog.com/2013/05/13/dubai-tragedies-based-on-real-life-accounts is this the same one you posted on the other thread ?? sorry but in my opinion it's an inappropriate use of the word tragedy - it's been done before, and better, anyway !! It's the same one but I didn't post it, just read it and it made me smile. Not sure what you mean by inappropriate use of the word. For me it's tragic just what annoys folk over here. sorry, my mistake... The original was called Expat problems or something - a tragedy for me usually involves a death or horrible accident...not breaking a nail...just my opinion.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY