Pruning bougainvillea | ExpatWoman.com

Pruning bougainvillea

Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 21:39
Ah, I think ours are getting watered every day. Will have to knock that on the head then. What you describe re the bottom part of the plant is consistent with our neighbours plants, so will persevere and leave them in that position for a while. They look so lovely once they tumble over the front walls of villas, and that's where the sun is.
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 18:04
It is recommended that even in a very warm climate to water at most twice a week. With regards the flowers you may find that without sunshine the bottom part of the plant will be a bit bare until it hits a point above the shade and then you may get it to flower .I had a few that were in the shade with straggely bottoms and a reasonable umbrella of leaves and flowers.
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 10:23
We can try cutting down on the watering first, perhaps every other day. Otherwise it may well be the position we have planted them in. It's a courtyard which is shady for much of the day. Strangely though, our next door neighbour has them in the same place and they are flowery. They are well established though and have grown to the top of the wall and into the sunshine. Perhaps once ours reach the sun they will get blooms all over, even on the parts of the plant that are in shade?
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 23:42
Am going to sack him, again! Sacked him once for not doing enough, now he is doing more but clearly not properly. He's a general compound maintenance chap rather than a trained gardener. Whilst on the subject of bougainvillea, our red ones, planted a few months ago, now have no flowers. I've read it could be overwatering, insufficient sun or possibly just not yet established. Our white flowered bougainvillea meanwhile are covered in blooms (different variety, not just in colour). Any gardeners out there know which explanation is most likely? It could be overwatering they really don't like it esp. if in a pot. Some do get a bit of shock when trans planted , they do really like sun between 6 and 8 hrs a day.A good fertilizer when first planted is a 0:10:10 mix they can be deficient in minerals, but generally do very well in DXB as they like a more salty soil. <em>edited by Nomad on 22/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 21:39
He did OK cutting back some plants with me. Its just the method he used that I object to. But in future I'll have to agree what he' s to do and also how. I'm not convinced many of the 'gardeners' here are proper trained gardeners as we'd know them either. But IM sure most wouldn't do what he did today.
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 19:51
I've got the secateurs out and done precisely what you suggest NOmad. So plants (found 3 that have been butchered) should hopefully be fine. Do I need to tell gardener not to do that again? He told our maid it was fine when she picked him up on it. Honestly speaking in all my years gardening in the ME I rarely came across a 'gardener' who had really good gardening knowledge. Many are just brought in and given a job as a gardener. What I would do was physically go outside and work alongside said gardener and show him what I wanted done with a real threat of termination if he acted with asking me first. One guy many years back raised my secret garden at the bottom of the garden ,that had taken almost 10 years to grow in, to the ground. I just sobbed but he thought he was doing me a big favour by cleaning up !!! I know many don't have the time or inclination to go gardening but it is very much a hit or miss. Tell him under no circumstances to touch anything unless he gets the go ahead from you with ANYTHING in the garden,this worked for me. Hopefully your bougainvillea will come back healthy and happy and no worse of for having his head shaved.....;)
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 19:49
Am going to sack him, again! Sacked him once for not doing enough, now he is doing more but clearly not properly. He's a general compound maintenance chap rather than a trained gardener. Whilst on the subject of bougainvillea, our red ones, planted a few months ago, now have no flowers. I've read it could be overwatering, insufficient sun or possibly just not yet established. Our white flowered bougainvillea meanwhile are covered in blooms (different variety, not just in colour). Any gardeners out there know which explanation is most likely?
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 19:33
Personally would sack gardener - this plant is pretty indigenous to the region and if he doesn't have the knowledge / care to look after it correctly then i wouldn't trust him with my more expensive / precious plants.
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 19:28
I've got the secateurs out and done precisely what you suggest NOmad. So plants (found 3 that have been butchered) should hopefully be fine. Do I need to tell gardener not to do that again? He told our maid it was fine when she picked him up on it.
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 18:20
Buy yourself a good pair of long handled clippers and recut the branches where they have been torn off. This helps seal the cut properly. Good job they grow like billy oh and should bounce back really well in fact. <em>edited by Nomad on 22/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 15:05
Yes, that's how I was taught Polly. No he didn't use large shears- he used his hands and twisted the branches! He is one of our cOmpound gardener/maintenance guys. Will ask him not to do that again. Perhaps they don't have proper gardening tools though.
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 13:55
Yeah aren't you suppose to cut the branches at angles like you cut roses, so to not damage the re-growth, but I'm no greenfingers either! The grow like weeds, ivy - so I am sure it will be fine
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 13:54
NO! It is not normal and very bad for the plant as exposes to disease and all sorts. DId your gardener use large shears? this sometimes happens. I would make sure you ask him to use proper equipment and get him to show you what he is using, if you don't like then change garden companies.
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 13:49
i would think so but I am no Capability Brown
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 13:39
Is it normal here to 'cut' back bougainvillea (or any other plant for that matter) by hand ie by tearing off the branches. One of my bougainvilleas looks in a sorry state as a result! We were taught how, where and when to prune in the UK using proper tools. Will this hand method damage the plant?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY