Expo2020 - The countdown!!! | ExpatWoman.com

Expo2020 - The countdown!!!

Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 15:15

36 days people!!!!

Absolutely loving how the city is coming together to support this - LOVE the signs over SZR, one from Mashreq Bank saying "anything is possible" and another from Emirates NBD just saying 'good luck' - and all the signs right along SZR from small to large companies. SOOO exciting!!! :) :) :) So proud of this city.

Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 22:27
N The balance between company income and salaries will be very off balance. More affordable workers will be hired. . But at what cost? In my previous building, the security men who knew Arabic and English and got 1300 got replaced by men who knew broken english and got 900 dhs. Just before we left, new guards came in who knew no English or Arabic and got 500 dhs. We are talking not of cleaners but front desk men in a 40 storey tower who need to check visitors and did not know either Arabic or more than a dozen English words, and were hired because they were "cheap"
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 19:33
Nomad, if I were a ruler your post would make me really happy. The Bridget Jones, 'just as you are' effect. :) I think Dubai was beautiful 10 years ago. When Hard Rock was in the middle of no where, when you could stand near where the police college is and have nothing but sand between you and the Burj AA..when Deira City Centre was 'the place' to shop. But if they'd stopped then there never would have been a snow slope, the worlds tallest tower, JBR, Dubai Marina, Dubai Mall... Many brands never would have come. Many jobs never would have been created. This expansion opened the gate for the lower income earners as there was now 'affordable' housing, and with this came more brands, more demands for the new demographic. And anything more will change what you define as Dubai. I predict further emphasis on the brand of luxury, elite-ism, superficiality, wonderful sights... And for those missing culture, take a flight, a catamaran, a drive to RAK, to Fujeirah... The balance between company income and salaries will be very off balance. More affordable workers will be hired. Effectively, it will become the dream destination, it will be 'home', to the modern Arabs of, say, Lebanon. With a Bollywood streak. There's talk of permanent residency visas, wage brackets; none of which is sparked by paced growth. Because they are so young, they are trying to catch up with 200 years of historical building overnight. If it were my choice it'd go back. But, it's not. And, it won't. I complained when JBR was erected, saying it'd ruin that area. But, it still went up. Point being, we can't stop progress. It's better to say 'good luck with that', then organise your affairs based on the assumption it will go ahead. I know I'm already thinking of the future, wondering where I fit, and if I see I don't, I'll need to adjust my affairs. Hard and sad to think, but life is full of crossroads. Expo is coming: prepare yourself. (New multi meaning slogan :)). Granted take your points esp the elite-ism, you are right in the sense that I might have the 'Bridget Jones syndrome' ...;) I loved it just the way it was a much friendlier place. Don't get me wrong I am not anti progress but it must be sustainable and not like we saw happen in 2008, what is being put in place to stop this happening again.
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 09:53
Nomad, if I were a ruler your post would make me really happy. The Bridget Jones, 'just as you are' effect. :) I think Dubai was beautiful 10 years ago. When Hard Rock was in the middle of no where, when you could stand near where the police college is and have nothing but sand between you and the Burj AA..when Deira City Centre was 'the place' to shop. But if they'd stopped then there never would have been a snow slope, the worlds tallest tower, JBR, Dubai Marina, Dubai Mall... Many brands never would have come. Many jobs never would have been created. This expansion opened the gate for the lower income earners as there was now 'affordable' housing, and with this came more brands, more demands for the new demographic. And anything more will change what you define as Dubai. I predict further emphasis on the brand of luxury, elite-ism, superficiality, wonderful sights... And for those missing culture, take a flight, a catamaran, a drive to RAK, to Fujeirah... The balance between company income and salaries will be very off balance. More affordable workers will be hired. Effectively, it will become the dream destination, it will be 'home', to the modern Arabs of, say, Lebanon. With a Bollywood streak. There's talk of permanent residency visas, wage brackets; none of which is sparked by paced growth. Because they are so young, they are trying to catch up with 200 years of historical building overnight. If it were my choice it'd go back. But, it's not. And, it won't. I complained when JBR was erected, saying it'd ruin that area. But, it still went up. Point being, we can't stop progress. It's better to say 'good luck with that', then organise your affairs based on the assumption it will go ahead. I know I'm already thinking of the future, wondering where I fit, and if I see I don't, I'll need to adjust my affairs. Hard and sad to think, but life is full of crossroads. Expo is coming: prepare yourself. (New multi meaning slogan :)).
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 21:07
ER don't normally disagree with your posts;) but there are any number of tourist destinations world wide that aren't constantly building bigger and more and more........they still pull the tourists. DXB has so many bragging rights already with many iconic buildings, as some have pointed out,finish the projects that have been started put infrastructure in first and concentrate on a sustainable economy not the constant roller coaster.
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 20:52
Great post MG you sum it up nicely.
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 20:48
I'll sound like a broken record, but tourists make the money, not residents. Not even Nationals. And tourists don't want to see a country with really well thought out residential areas. They want to see done malls/hotels/restaurants/touristy things. And construction means more is coming, so come back soon to see what it is! The Expo will make Dubai a fortune. And, that's what the government, any government (London ?Olympics - seemed impossible, but not) wants to hear. When there aren't 400+ job applications per available job, then the government may think they're on the wrong track, until then... Jump on the right track!
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 20:12
Maybe the people who are overly gung-ho about it all are just excited to be waving their flags without actually understanding (or caring about) the economics and repercussions of it all...
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 19:38
TDB - I do agree with that side of things, I'd love to see the Pearl finished, after driving past this weekend for the first time in years, it's stopped again! Finish all the part done jobs, then look at expansion! And today another 14km coastline being added to jumeriah, to make a corniche!! I dread to know where exactly. But selfishly, us in the construction industry, it will help keep us in jobs etc for the best few years
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 19:34
Here, here DB
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 19:20
Toots tell ur ll about the rent calculator ;-) that should help
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 13:54
What exactly will be exhibited at this exposition?
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 13:52
the foreseen up in real estate (amongst everything else) w. :( except of course salaries and allowances....
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 13:04
"The 2008 crash was the best thing that could have happened to Dubai. It shook the greed out of the system and restored sanity to an economy that was away in fantasyland. It made Dubai a MUCH more liveable city. What's needed now is *sustainable* growth, not another wretched short-term boom. But hey, enjoy the return of clogged roads, skyrocketing cost of living et al. If you have the emotional and financial wherewithal to hold on through the next boom, the next collapse will again see Dubai become much more liveable. edited by Madge_Gustard on 25/10/2013"- I agree Madge, brilliantly put.
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 13:01
Going to be a nightmare.Think traffic and rents are bad now???
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 12:41
My landlady has already had the cheek to warn us that she'll probably be raising the rent at our 1st year renewal next year in light of the almost sure win for Dubai and the foreseen up in real estate (amongst everything else) when Dubai wins. Talk about counting your eggs! How any expat who has personally experienced or struggled to live with skyrocketing costs of housing & schooling these last 2 years in Dubai can find this a reason to celebrate is beyond me. The infamous greedy Dubai landlords are already rubbing their hands in anticipation. :(
Latest post on 25 October 2013 - 18:01
I've seen someone flying 2 Expo2020 flags on the back of his bike today. WHERE can we get them???
Latest post on 24 October 2013 - 23:39
I Re cost of living going up, of course. All major cities are expensive. That's some great logic you are applying there :)
Latest post on 24 October 2013 - 20:12
I'm looking forward to finding out. Given the nations who've supported the bid it'd be highly frustrating not to win it. This is the first time they've really gone out on such a large public bid, it'd near be an insult to not give it to them. Re cost of living going up, of course. All major cities are expensive. I think it's pretty obvious that Dubai has set its sights on being the next London, New York, Sydney... Not to reasonably priced homely town. It's just about asking if you're the target guest anymore. I won't be, but wish them the best for my kids! Go Dubai!
Latest post on 24 October 2013 - 17:55
Thanks, Just about to check out the vid :)
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 19:30
[url=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1431055200455364'>This[/url'> is a lovely Expo bid vid.
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 18:45
yep 27th November!!! Just need to find out what time!! Announced from Paris!!! SOOO exciting. 35 days! :-P
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 18:12
Am I right in thinking that Wed 27th November is going to be the decision date for Expo2020 then?. Just passing on some info and can't seem to find the actual date.
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 16:18
Boooooooooh.......... Out of interest, did you really think all that *wouldn't* happen? And anyone thinking that companies here will just jack up salaries and benefits to compensate needs a serious reality check... Yes, the Expo will be good for some people. It will *not* be good for the many others living here on average packages.
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 15:12
I am hoping that work will be guaranteed, bonuses will be paid out, salaries will go up and we can all live in the success of the Expo2020 - I can live in hope!
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 15:02
Boooooooooh..........
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 16:12
Oops, don't think I had - I have now!!! Thanks
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 16:07
I know, have already registered as a bid supporter, got the screen saver etc. :D have you registered as a bid supporter?
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 15:45
Love the party idea Polly. Do we know what time of day the result is expected at? *now also planning party*
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 15:43
cities in Turkey, Russia or Brazil. GO DUBAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Latest post on 22 October 2013 - 15:35
What other cities are in the running?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY