Chemo | ExpatWoman.com

Chemo

Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 20:17

I'd be grateful for all those who pray to say a little one for my sister.
She's been diagnosed with cancer, and having been prodded and poked for a few weeks/biopsies etc, she had her first chemo session last week.
Now she's had terrible nose bleeds and lost a lot of blood due to the side effects of the chemo, yesterday she had to have a blood transfusion. She's already as thin as a rake and not eating/sleeping, constantly worrying and tired. I am very worried about her and the terrible side effects she is having..
Anyone who has had chemo have any tips as well. She is due another chemo session in 2 weeks (in total 6 sessions).
<em>edited by Alismum on 26/10/2013</em>

Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 22:55
Google Gerson therapy/ gerson institute. I've met someone that cured skin cancer by following their protocol. The web is full of success stories. Also check Gerson miracle , the beautiful truth and other related documentaries on youtube. The person i know was in their clinic in Hungary.
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 14:54
Best of luck. Also had a recent cancer diagnosis in our family (cervical) and know about all the prodding and poking. Its just terrible. [b'>MIL went the holistic route (vitamin cocktail iv drips daily for a month and acupunture regularly) instead of doing chemo [/b'>and her cancer seems to be gone now. I will send a prayer for your sister. You all must be mentally and emotionally exhausted. Steve Jobs also went with the 'natural way' and used supplements etc. and didn't go for chemo. It is a dangerous road to take. As a cancer survivor myself, I would not recommend it. You can use the supplements etc. to ease the side effects of chemo (although my one oncologist was totally against it), but it is not a good idea to not do the chemo if that is what the oncologist recommends. My oncologist gave me the option for the chemo as it was not strictly necessary, but it was an 'insurance policy' and I decided to fight the cancer with everything available to be on the safe side. I am not sorry for doing it this way. At least I know if the cancer comes back it was not because I was not doing everything in my power to get rid of it. The chemo was not easy, but it also was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Rather safe than sorry. Alismum, I am sorry to hear about your sister. I will be thinking about her. edited by Lettie on 27/10/2013 I understand your concern however MIL chose this path for recovery and we support her journey. She knows of the risks involved. Even her oncologist is amazed at her recovery. Also keep in mind Steve Jobs does not represent every person who died because of holistic therapy. Many people have done the holistic route and are still alive and well years later. It varies from person to person, just like the results with chemo....
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 14:13
Will be thinking good thoughts. When my mother was going through chemo, she liked ice chips. I also know it is important for her to get enough nutrition since chemo can take a toll on the body, as you have noticed. Talk to a doctor, but my mother liked drinking those pre-made milkshakes that elderly people use to get a whole meal's worth of nutrition. In the US, they are called Ensure, but I'm not sure what would be available for your sister.
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 12:04
Thanks for your kind words ladies. I think they may be looking into stopping the chemo, taking our her uterus and giving her radiation therapy if her platelet count doesn't improve before the next session. She's only had one session so far as well. I just worry that she doesn't look after herself anyway (eats very little) and the chemo has knocked her for six. She even ignored the nosebleeds thinking they were nothing to worry about, until she had to have an emergency blood transfusion. Have just had a look on the MacMillan website Beany and will pass on the information to my other sisters who are helping her (yes she's in the UK). Thanks for that. This will be a great help to her. <em>edited by Alismum on 27/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 11:25
Sorry to read this. Is your sister in the UK? If so, the Macmillan cancer nurses were a big help when my mum was having chemo, as someone to talk to as much as anything else, they also helped with accessing financial support. They come out to visit you at home, maybe there are similar nurses in other countries. Mum also saw an aromatherapist which helped her to relax and feel calmer between treatments (probably best to try it in the days just before the next dose if she's nauseous after the chemo).
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 11:00
Best of luck. Also had a recent cancer diagnosis in our family (cervical) and know about all the prodding and poking. Its just terrible. [b'>MIL went the holistic route (vitamin cocktail iv drips daily for a month and acupunture regularly) instead of doing chemo [/b'>and her cancer seems to be gone now. I will send a prayer for your sister. You all must be mentally and emotionally exhausted. Steve Jobs also went with the 'natural way' and used supplements etc. and didn't go for chemo. It is a dangerous road to take. As a cancer survivor myself, I would not recommend it. You can use the supplements etc. to ease the side effects of chemo (although my one oncologist was totally against it), but it is not a good idea to not do the chemo if that is what the oncologist recommends. My oncologist gave me the option for the chemo as it was not strictly necessary, but it was an 'insurance policy' and I decided to fight the cancer with everything available to be on the safe side. I am not sorry for doing it this way. At least I know if the cancer comes back it was not because I was not doing everything in my power to get rid of it. The chemo was not easy, but it also was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Rather safe than sorry. Alismum, I am sorry to hear about your sister. I will be thinking about her. <em>edited by Lettie on 27/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 10:30
Thanks ladies. The vitamin cocktail sounds interesting Asti. It sounds amazing.
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 10:30
Sorry to hear about this Alismum, will keep her, and you, in my prayers.xx
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 09:03
I don't have any tips about chemo, but inshallah will keep her in my prayers. May Allah cure her and give her strength ya rab. x
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 21:04
Thanks ladies. The vitamin cocktail sounds interesting Asti.
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 20:49
Best of luck. Also had a recent cancer diagnosis in our family (cervical) and know about all the prodding and poking. Its just terrible. MIL went the holistic route (vitamin cocktail iv drips daily for a month and acupunture regularly) instead of doing chemo and her cancer seems to be gone now. I will send a prayer for your sister. You all must be mentally and emotionally exhausted.
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 20:48
To Alismum, Sending prayers and positive thoughts to your sister and your family. I will light a candle for her recovery. Truth is chemo is sometimes worse than the diagnosis ,some find chewing/sucking on small bits of crushed ice does help a bit. We will continue to pray for you all Hugs xxx <em>edited by Nomad on 26/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 20:47
Thank you Daza that's lovely :)
Latest post on 26 October 2013 - 20:30
Hi Alismum I don't pray but I do believe in the power of positive thinking and I've just sat for a minute and sent out positive thoughts for your sister (and you). I wish her all the best.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY