Getting rid of Cats - Humanely | ExpatWoman.com

Getting rid of Cats - Humanely

Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 15:17

We have suddenly been invaded by a cat and its 4 kittens living behind our water tank, i came out this morning and they were lying all over my sons trampoline and slide. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them, i dont want to hurt them but i dont want them around. I am making the assumption that they are not domesticated. [b][/b]

Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 07:42
If people REALLY want to do something, then they need to take responsibility and DO something themselves. Catch the mother/male cats and take them to be neutered at a vet which offer the Feline Friends discount. All these organisations are voluntary - they don't have money or staff growing on trees.
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 18:16
Not many people would consider taking in, feeding or trying to rehome rats if they dropped a litter in your backyard. Feral cats are vermin and there is nothing wrong in calling pest control to remove. My child contracted toxoplasmosis from feral cat poop in our playground sand-pit and we called the municipality who trapped and removed lots of manky cats. It bothers me most when people feed them like pets but take no other responsibilities and ****** off each summer leaving them to suffer as they have not had to fend for themselves . Just to add to the 'cats are vermin' part of your post.....a bit of a google search into the history of the Plague that afflicted a large part of Europe. Said plague took hold at a time when healers were burned as witches... what did these healers have, cats...they too were burned ,result.....the rats took over carrying the fleas that caused the plague. As BUK said I too have seen rats that are as big as cats in a neighbours BBQ's and around garbage bins, that's why the bin kitties should be recognized for their contribution in keeping the real vermin at bay. Many years back we lived in a recently developed farming area and the mice invaded us.My cats were still en route from overseas and I had a toddler who came in contact with mice faeces.He was in hospital for three weeks as he had contracted shugela dysentery and we very nearly lost the battle but thankfully he pulled through. While he was in hospital we adopted two rescues and in no time the mice were gone. Cats are not vermin ,the problem with the feral/stray cats in this region is caused by humans lack of concern.
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 17:38
That's brilliant that Doha is doing something about it, for once Dubai really seems to be lagging, no matter how hard rescue groups try to push for it. I do wish people could see the big picture more with these things. Thankfully there are so many supportive vets here who are prepared to spend their time and expertise helping, and doing these things basically for free, if it wasn't for them there is no way rescue groups could do half of what they do. To the OP, I would really suggest if someone can help you trap the cat, get her to the vet and sterilised. A kitten of 8 weeks no longer needs it's mother for food. And 8/10 weeks is the normal age to separate them. If none of the groups can help with a foster, you have 2 choices you could try and board it through a rescue group at a reduced rate until the next adoption day with any of these groups, or leave them until they get to approx 5 months and then have them sterilised too. Don't feed them or encourage their presence and if you have to, use the hose, when they are sitting in areas you don't want. I work with several rescue groups in AD and Dubai and I can tell you they are all bursting at the seams, but adoption days seem to be very successful right now so you never know, a place might just pop up. :)
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 16:55
Well we are now in Doha where the municipality do TNR and I am wholeheartingly in support of it . Here cats caught in our compound are returned if heathly but many have the feline immunity virus and are put down. Some people just mix rat posion with food to rid strays from their property but I don't think of this as humane .
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 16:04
P.s. There have been no reported rabies cases here and TNR cats are vaccinated, this gives them at least sufficient antibodies to be able fight such diseases if they unfortunately come into contact with them. Repeated vaccination is not necessary everywhere (only here do they require it every year) depending on the vaccination given.
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 16:00
Most of the cats roaming in these residential areas are not 'feral' they are just unfortunate enough to have had irresponsible owners who don't sterilise and/ or dump them when they are no longer compatible with their family for whatever reason. So it's hardly the same as taking in and feeding a non domesticated animal such as a wild rat! Maybe it wasn't a manky feral cat who's faeces gave your son toxoplasmosis as any outdoor cat is capable of transmitting this if it has an active infection, which pet cats can and do transmit because the source of the infection is the same (infected meat usually from catching birds or being fed uncooked infected meat etc) Do you suppose all cats should be removed? There are also other, and more common ways, for humans to contract toxoplasmosis. Yes It bothers me too when people feed and take no responsibility to sterilise a cat. It is not the responsibility of the person, but every little helps in a community. What would be great is if the Dubai government took a more active role in providing for a proper TNR programme so that the population was kept stable (like Abu Dhabi now does) I can tell you if there were no cats around there would be a huge increase in the number of rats around, and I'd like to see you try and stop them passing urine or faeces in your child's playground. Do you know many many more serious diseases you can pick up from rat urine and faeces? Some of the rats not far from our residential area in Abu Dhabi are so huge they are as big as the cats, they are not afraid of humans in the slightest and when they are not afraid they will quite happily mooch around close to your home area (and potentially pee and poo anywhere) unless you have a nice guard cat to chase them off. Sure there are rat traps but they can only capture so many, and you cannot put poison down in a residential area (which is how they tend to kill rats here and sometimes the poor cats!) Abu Dhabi has caught on that a stable cat population can be beneficlal to residential areas, why can't Dubai do the same? Until it does it's left to volunteers to do it off their own back.
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 15:47
The main concern of my neighbor was to protect her 2 small children (twin one year olds) from the strays. She couldn't even use her grass much of the day. I also have 2 children, albeit older and they could be at risk. Stray cats can carry disease (rabies) and are not vaccinated. This issue has to do with protecting children on our property. It is not about our "distress" seeing them lying around our sun loungers. Scotswhahae and others, I hope you can understand this side of the problem. I appreciate your kindness to animals. I wish the world was a perfect place. Thank you.
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 15:37
OP, you can always keep your place cat free if you regularly sprayed hot chilly peppers in water, strain them, then have this juice in a spray bottle and spray any place the cats are frequenting. As for your situation, you have 2 choices: A) Call the municipality, knowing these cats all will be killed, and you have to live with this idea. B) just be patient, wait at least these cats manage to be able to defend itself and get rid of them, may I suggest you spray the trampoline and your kids play area, so the mum cat do not go there, so the kitties will follow her mum's foot steps, and once you get rid of these cats, the place they were staying in, please spray with that juice like every day for a week. I found this juice thing on the internet, and it did magic for me, it will stop cats from coming around, leaving their business cards (lol) as these animals have a very sensitive nose, and it will hurt them from a distance, so they won't come in your garden. HTH
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 15:36
The mother and kittens are unlikely to be a bother at this stage in life. The kittens will stay put until they can follow their mum and look for food themselves.Do not feed them. As you have children, it is very likely they will move out soon as they like peace and quiet. I do not think the Municipality will deal with them on a private property.
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 15:18
Not many people would consider taking in, feeding or trying to rehome rats if they dropped a litter in your backyard. Feral cats are vermin and there is nothing wrong in calling pest control to remove. My child contracted toxoplasmosis from feral cat poop in our playground sand-pit and we called the municipality who trapped and removed lots of manky cats. It bothers me most when people feed them like pets but take no other responsibilities and ****** off each summer leaving them to suffer as they have not had to fend for themselves .
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 13:44
It's all very well saying don't go to the Municipality but it's very hard to find homes (foster or permanent) for kittens and cats. We've now got 6 cats/kittens living in our garden. I've spend a lot on vet bills and having them neutered and tried to find homes for them but nobody wants them:-( I am feeding them because otherwise they would starve but I worry what will happen to them if we ever move. I feel a huge responsibility for all these little lives and I didn't even set out to have a cat. So please don't be so hard on the OP as she specifically said she intended them no harm and wants to find a humane solution. *like*
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 13:42
It's all very well saying don't go to the Municipality but it's very hard to find homes (foster or permanent) for kittens and cats. We've now got 6 cats/kittens living in our garden. I've spend a lot on vet bills and having them neutered and tried to find homes for them but nobody wants them:-( I am feeding them because otherwise they would starve but I worry what will happen to them if we ever move. I feel a huge responsibility for all these little lives and I didn't even set out to have a cat. So please don't be so hard on the OP as she specifically said she intended them no harm and wants to find a humane solution.
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 13:32
If you are happy with them in your garden for a few days, put them on Dubizzle for adoption with pictures. If not, and nobody else can help you then call the Department of Health and Safety at the Dubai Municipality
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 13:10
Invaded? Infestation? Never heard these words used to describe a cat and kittens. Sitting on your furniture and begging at your windows - gosh that is frightening, how could you survive :) Do not go to the Municipality, they will be killed (sorry no other way to describe putting down healthy animals). We adopted a cat who was about a whisker away from being euthanised as she had been in shelter a long time. We took another stray to a vets for treatment and he was put down as he had FIV, still have a little cry about that one. Do what you can to help these animals, please!
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 09:06
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew that because of me a cat & her kittens were killed. So wrong. I have fostered cats since day 1 in Dubai, I've payed for vet bills (I don't have a job!) & I adopted one that kept coming to my house. Calling the municipality is cruel. Sorry if this offends anyone, it's my opinion. Good day.
Latest post on 29 October 2013 - 06:44
BellaUK, I appreciate the work of volunteers immensely and I also realize the UAE is not set up with other options to help the stray problem. In my situation, I was not one of the "people" you suggest who didn't want to lift a finger, although I am sure they exist. I was just trying to explain to Bluetit that I did spend A LOT of time trying to help the situation in the "right" way, as I know she is also looking to do. I did a great deal of research, time emailing, taking photos, speaking to people, etc and I was willing to make any payments to neuter. It simply did not work to 1) cage and neuter 2) give away the cats (most groups say they are at capacity) and 3) resolve my problem with an abundance of stray kittens around my home. Most people do not have the ability to cage cats without the help of others who know how to handle them. In the case of kittens, if mother cat is around, the volunteers won't help, understandably for the sake of the kittens. But it then gets "too late" and it's hard to locate them, they wander away, logistically coordinating a volunteer with strays is difficult. It is too abundant here so emails and followup often don't take place. Bluetit, I wish you luck and appreciate the input from everyone here.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 21:55
The problem is people expect volunteers from rescue groups here to waltz in remove the cats that are in their way and not have to lift a finger or take an ounce of responsibility. People want something doing 'humanely' so they don't have the guilt at shipping these cats off to certain horrific death at municipality but don't want any involvement. I've heard them all...Oh I'm sorry I've seen a cat with its leg hanging off in the street but can't possibly take it home but I can't just leave it, can you take it instead!...Er well can you perhaps contribute to the medical treatment and or boarding since we have ZERO funds or foster hones available....No I'm sorry I can't but I just couldn't leave it there to suffer....Pfftttt thanks for that! These groups get NO government support here, there are no premises like the RSPCA and other shelters they rely on kind hearted people to take the time and put their hand in their pocket and pay themselves to temporarily home, feed and provide medical treatment for these animals until a permanent home can be found. Perhaps if you're worried about cats multiplying contact a rescue organisation who can help have cat sterilised at reduced rates for you. I appreciate that not all people like cats and you might not want them on your kids toys or garden items but a hose works pretty well to scare them off and they'll keep their distance. If you keep moving them on, new ones will just keep on moving in. It's better to have a healthy sterilised stray that lurks as the 'territory' is then taken. Daisy16, Bin Kitty, JA Cats and FF all let people put cats into adoption days so I don't know how you can say they won't help rehome, people just have to make a bit of effort too. Now where is that darn *LIKE* button !!!!!:) Well said BUK not many know just how much work all those who volunteer do and with so little help and support.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 21:46
Feline Friends, bin Kitty collective and many other animal welfare organizations are VOLUNTEER organizations,they don't have office staff to remind them of the days and dates feral cats are due to be Sterilized. If these feral cats are still a problem these same organizations would offer all the assistance they could to TNR the cats.contacting the municipality won't solve the problem.......they will just be replaced by other stray/feral cats.The TNR programme is the way to go as these cats tend to defend their territory and keep interlopers away. Spring is breeding season so if you catch the offenders and neuter them ASAP there will be a lot less kittens born in your area next season.;)
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 21:46
The problem is people expect volunteers from rescue groups here to waltz in remove the cats that are in their way and not have to lift a finger or take an ounce of responsibility. People want something doing 'humanely' so they don't have the guilt at shipping these cats off to certain horrific death at municipality but don't want any involvement. I've heard them all...Oh I'm sorry I've seen a cat with its leg hanging off in the street but can't possibly take it home but I can't just leave it, can you take it instead!...Er well can you perhaps contribute to the medical treatment and or boarding since we have ZERO funds or foster hones available....No I'm sorry I can't but I just couldn't leave it there to suffer....Pfftttt thanks for that! These groups get NO government support here, there are no premises like the RSPCA and other shelters they rely on kind hearted people to take the time and put their hand in their pocket and pay themselves to temporarily home, feed and provide medical treatment for these animals until a permanent home can be found. Perhaps if you're worried about cats multiplying contact a rescue organisation who can help have cat sterilised at reduced rates for you. I appreciate that not all people like cats and you might not want them on your kids toys or garden items but a hose works pretty well to scare them off and they'll keep their distance. If you keep moving them on, new ones will just keep on moving in. It's better to have a healthy sterilised stray that lurks as the 'territory' is then taken. Daisy16, Bin Kitty, JA Cats and FF all let people put cats into adoption days so I don't know how you can say they won't help rehome, people just have to make a bit of effort too.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 20:56
Bluetit, I was in a similar situation last year. My neighbor's back garden had some new kittens and we would see the kittens and mother cat often. We didn't know if any other homes on the street were feeding the cats. We both had issues with the mother cat sitting on furniture and begging at our windows. I contacted Bin Kitty, Jebel Ali cats (I think?) and Feline Friends. Both groups were responsive and one volunteer came to visit. They will tell you to send photos, etc. They offered to cage and bring the mother cat away for neutering once they kittens were no longer nursing..ie in 5 months time. This never happened. I stopped thinking about it bc I work, etc. They will not remove the kittens nor did they help with finding homes. Now I think the kittens are running around our neighbourhood thus adding to the overall stray cat problem around Dubai. I do not like cats, however I tried to find a solution in a humane way. It just is not easy here. So I am sorry to say, but maybe I should have tried the Municipality.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 16:23
Thank you, I have mailed them.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 16:11
We live in Mirdif and by "getting rid of cats" i mean getting rid of them from my garden and putting them somewhere else, like a home for strays or something. I do not wish them any harm,i just dont want them around my sons play area. The mum runs away and leaves the kitten every time i go out there, i will try and get a sneaky photo and post. unfortunately there are no shelters here and people are volunteering to foster for different non profit organisations. there are some shelters in different Emirates but they are full and then animals will be euthanised after some time to make space for more potential cats for adoption. Please see my post below, it might help to send an e mail.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 16:03
We live in Mirdif and by "getting rid of cats" i mean getting rid of them from my garden and putting them somewhere else, like a home for strays or something. I do not wish them any harm,i just dont want them around my sons play area. The mum runs away and leaves the kitten every time i go out there, i will try and get a sneaky photo and post.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 16:03
Please contact Bin Kitty collective via e-mail [email protected] and explain your concerns and they will try to help. The ladies are all volunteers and have family or full time jobs, it can take time until they reply. You can post also on their Facebook site. Like previous posters mentioned Dubai Municipality will euthanise them, even media reports DM is not and all is very cat pet friendly and humanly the past showed that in most cases it isn't. Do not feed the cats. I understand if people aren't liking cats and are concerned of their children wellbeing but killing is not the right thing ( I know you mentioned humanely - I do not attack you) Cats usual hurt/scratch only when they feel provoked and defend their territory try to teach your children not to approach them or try to pet them until a solution is found and the family moved out of your garden. <em>edited by Tigerente on 28/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 15:59
Please post a picture of the cat mom and her kittens on the Kitty Bin Collective page on facebook, maybe one of the ladies can help. Please do not call the municipality, unless you dont care if they kill the cats. Municipality is the last contact to call in UAE because they will take them all and euthanize them. In which part of Dubai you live?
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 15:48
I'm not sure what you mean by "getting rid of cats". Just so you are aware, if you call the Municipality, the cat and kittens will be picked up and euthanized (killed). Is the momma cat friendly at all? Can you approach her? How old are the kittens? You can try posting on Bin Kitty Collective on facebook and ask for assistance and guidance.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 15:38
sorry to sound stupid but when you say contact the municipality who do you mean and where do i find the number, i have only been here 2 months. Its the government, they can help with this sort of thing I don't know the number however I am sure many other posters will post the number for you
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 15:36
sorry to sound stupid but when you say contact the municipality who do you mean and where do i find the number, i have only been here 2 months.
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 15:20
We have suddenly been invaded by a cat and its 4 kittens living behind our water tank, i came out this morning and they were lying all over my sons trampoline and slide. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them, i dont want to hurt them but i dont want them around. I am making the assumption that they are not domesticated. [b'>[/b'> Contact the Municipality
Latest post on 28 October 2013 - 15:19
We have suddenly been invaded by a cat and its 4 kittens living behind our water tank, i came out this morning and they were lying all over my sons trampoline and slide. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them, i dont want to hurt them but i dont want them around. I am making the assumption that they are not domesticated. [b'>[/b'> We had an infestation of cats and kittens in the past few days, feel exactly the same way. Loving to know the answer to this

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY