Severe pain.... Disc protrusion | ExpatWoman.com

Severe pain.... Disc protrusion

Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 10:20

I have Severe pain in my right leg (right side of lower waist area and right calf). I didn't find any help through physiotherapy & medicines. pain killers and muscle relaxers are useless for me.
In Sitting position, I dont feel any pain but I can not stand / walk and I have to sit after few steps. I am unable to work in the kitchen . its very painful to stand. pls ladies help me what to do. :(

MRI report says:

1- Slight obliteration of the lumbar curvature probably reflecting mild back muscular spasm.
2- Diminished bright T2 signal intensity of most of the L4-5 and L5-S1 intervertebral lumbar disc, secondary to degeneration & dehydration of its discogenic substance. Also slightly reduced height of L4-5 disc as well.
3- L4-5 mild posterior circumferential disc protrusion more inclined to the right side, with minimal caudal right paracentral buckling of small discogenic substance effacing the ventralepidural space & indenting the opposing thecal sac. Associated bilateral neuro-foraminal compromise more on the right side with entrapping of the exiting nerve roots of L5 mainly on the right. The disc lesion is relatively augmented by mild buckling of the opposing flaval ligaments.
4- L5-S1 mild posterior degenerative disc bulge, relatively more inclined to the left side, with minimal caudal buckling through the anterior epidural fat, just touching the anterior aspect of the theca & partially effacing the epidural fat panes surrounding the exiting nerve roots of the S1 more on the left side.
<em>edited by sunlight on 30/10/2013</em>

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 02 November 2013 - 11:33
Not sure if it is the same one mrsb but I have just found an old invoice I went to Osteopathic Health Centre in Uptown Mirdiff , I seem to recall they had another office in or near Jumeira.They honestly were amazing ,I wish I could find the same care in Canada ..... edited by Nomad on 02/11/2013 edited by Nomad on 02/11/2013 They have a centre next to Choithram's on Al Wasl Road. DD saw Russell Hill there for lower back pain and he was brilliant. I too saw him as I had a lot of pain in my hips that my GP had diagnosed as 'wear and tear' but he diagnosed a lumbar canal stenosis. I had six sessions with Russell and all is well. Would recommend him to anyone. Yes, I remember her saying they had a clinic on the Al Wasl Rd too. I do recommend them.
Latest post on 02 November 2013 - 10:30
Not sure if it is the same one mrsb but I have just found an old invoice I went to Osteopathic Health Centre in Uptown Mirdiff , I seem to recall they had another office in or near Jumeira.They honestly were amazing ,I wish I could find the same care in Canada ..... edited by Nomad on 02/11/2013 edited by Nomad on 02/11/2013 They have a centre next to Choithram's on Al Wasl Road. DD saw Russell Hill there for lower back pain and he was brilliant. I too saw him as I had a lot of pain in my hips that my GP had diagnosed as 'wear and tear' but he diagnosed a lumbar canal stenosis. I had six sessions with Russell and all is well. Would recommend him to anyone.
Latest post on 02 November 2013 - 00:18
Not sure if it is the same one mrsb but I have just found an old invoice I went to Osteopathic Health Centre in Uptown Mirdiff , I seem to recall they had another office in or near Jumeira.They honestly were amazing ,I wish I could find the same care in Canada ..... edited by Nomad on 02/11/2013 <em>edited by Nomad on 02/11/2013</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 18:36
I went to an osteopath at Uptown Mirdiff a few years ago for my back pain and the young girl there! can't remember her name but she was Australian, from western suburbs of Sydney, did a marvellous job of managing my pain for quite a while. She was very gentle, not pull, clicking etc, just very slow and gentle manipulation. I can't remember the name of the clinic but I assume there is only one there - it was just near Caribou coffee. I haven't been to that centre for a few years now so don't know how much has changed but certainly worth a try if she is still there.
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 18:00
I so understand where you are right now and my heart goes out to you, I have suffered since age17 and don't wish it on anybody. Be careful of home remedy massages ,they can sometimes do more harm than good.A lot of them actually bruise the injury as they can't 'feel' the injury and know just how much pressure to apply. My son is a therapist and he always insists that I use both heat and cold therapy and won't let me near massage machines as I have a boney protruding spine,used one once and was in chronic pain after. The main issue is to control the pain and aid the healing process,so that you can get on with life. You are wise to get another opinion. Personally I swear by Physio/osteopaths as they can help with healing an injury and help you minimize future injuries, by strengthening the relevant muscles and giving prevention tips. Hopefully you will get relief soon.
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 16:41
Perhaps your degeneration is further gone than mine. Ahamdulillah, the Lyrica rally has given me a new life! I also have tried inversion, where you hang upside side for a a minute or so at a time - this relieves all the pressure on your spine and allows it to stretch back out again. Of course, this is not a cure, but is good pain relief. Pain management is essential. Perhaps an increased dose and some physio will help. I am so reluctant to see throw as they always want to cut into you. This scres me too much. It will be my last resort to get disc replacement surgery. I certainly will never get the replacement surgery done here in the UAE. Please let us know what the dr at the Spinal Hospital suggest. I am always interested as I have been told they my condition will continue to worsen. I want to know what is next and how to deal with it. the Spine Hospital at Health city was also recommended to me. I would be interested in knowing which dr you see and what he recommends. Good luck! sure, will let you know. In shaa Allah
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 15:15
Perhaps your degeneration is further gone than mine. Ahamdulillah, the Lyrica rally has given me a new life! I also have tried inversion, where you hang upside side for a a minute or so at a time - this relieves all the pressure on your spine and allows it to stretch back out again. Of course, this is not a cure, but is good pain relief. Pain management is essential. Perhaps an increased dose and some physio will help. I am so reluctant to see throw as they always want to cut into you. This scres me too much. It will be my last resort to get disc replacement surgery. I certainly will never get the replacement surgery done here in the UAE. Please let us know what the dr at the Spinal Hospital suggest. I am always interested as I have been told they my condition will continue to worsen. I want to know what is next and how to deal with it. the Spine Hospital at Health city was also recommended to me. I would be interested in knowing which dr you see and what he recommends. Good luck!
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 13:49
P.S if the pain is going down to your leg it's not a good sign. Your nerves are getting pressed. You need to consult a good doc or physio soon. Take care. Yes, the nerve pain in the back and down the leg can be unbearable. That is here the Lyrica comes in. It blocks the nerve pain, and along with a gentle anti inflammatory, allows you function as normal. I have been taking it now for nearly a year and I can say I am a completely news woman, pain free and, at the moment without need of surgery. Back muscle strengthening exercises are essential if you wish to try to manage without surgery in the long run. There are surgery free alternatives - you just need to find the right doctor. I recommend Dr Hakim at Al Noor hospital in Al Ain. He is one of the rare Ortho surgeons who does not push for surgeries, but rather exercise, physio and pain relief regime instead. Good luck sunlight. mrsb. I am using lyrica as well but my leg pain is not allowing me to stand. I am using massage bed also at my friend's house. It gives heat with infra red rays and rollers giving massage on my back. now i started to sleep on the floor. May be it will work ( my mother's opinion). Al Ain is far away for me. now i will change my doctor and have an appointment in spine hospital at dubai health city. Pls pray for me.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 08:52
P.S if the pain is going down to your leg it's not a good sign. Your nerves are getting pressed. You need to consult a good doc or physio soon. Take care. Yes, the nerve pain in the back and down the leg can be unbearable. That is here the Lyrica comes in. It blocks the nerve pain, and along with a gentle anti inflammatory, allows you function as normal. I have been taking it now for nearly a year and I can say I am a completely news woman, pain free and, at the moment without need of surgery. Back muscle strengthening exercises are essential if you wish to try to manage without surgery in the long run. There are surgery free alternatives - you just need to find the right doctor. I recommend Dr Hakim at Al Noor hospital in Al Ain. He is one of the rare Ortho surgeons who does not push for surgeries, but rather exercise, physio and pain relief regime instead. Good luck sunlight.
Latest post on 31 October 2013 - 20:12
P.S if the pain is going down to your leg it's not a good sign. Your nerves are getting pressed. You need to consult a good doc or physio soon. Take care.
Latest post on 31 October 2013 - 20:10
I read your MIR report, this is exactly what I am suffering. Pain in the lower back which goes down my left leg. I saw a doc here in Dubai and he immediately suggested surgery. I would never go for spinal surgery without 2nd or 3rd consultancy. I visited another doc in my country and he said surgery is absolutely not necessary. Exercise and physiotherapy is the only way. My pain is now bearable. It's not gone completely but that's coz I am irregular with my lower back exercise. Exercise will help you strengthen your back muscles. It will take time but you have to do it regularly (unlike me). Also when you sit, cushion your back. It has to be supported. Wear comfortable shoes. I have stopped wearing heels completely. Sorry for all these instruction.... But I suffer from it and I know how bad it can get. There were days n night when I used to move around with hot water bag tied to my waist. Please visit a good physio n ask them to show u the exercises.
Latest post on 31 October 2013 - 15:19
thanks a ton ladies, for moral support. I also don't want to go for surgery. RuthM, waist pain started in August and since September it is in my right leg. now I don't have pain in my back. just problem is in my leg. As I am working woman and it is very difficult to move around. I can not concentrate on my work with this pain.
Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 18:50
I too sympathize ,there is nothing more painful. I suffer from spinal stenosis, bulging discs and sciatica. While in DXB I used the osteopaths in Mirdiff Center,sorry forget the name, they were amazing and honestly kept me going. Once I returned to Canada I have been having corticosteroids injected every 6 months and they have changed my life. Not saying that it would be appropriate for your condition but as others have said avoid surgery at all costs esp in DXB where they are quite happy to cut first and then work from there. Just to add when my injections starts to wear off after 6 mths I pop 2 Aleve a day and they do really take the edge off until I get my next round of shots. The other stronger stuff does a number on my tummy. Hope you get some relief soon.
Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 18:30
You poor thing, I feel so sorry for you. Did you have a recent injury, or has this come on gradually?
Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 17:52
I would be careful seeing surgeons about it - surgery seems to be, on the most part, their only option. I have had a horrible back problem for more than 20 years and have seen various doctors with varying degrees of success. I now see Dr hakim at Noor Hospital in Al Ain. He has suggested no surgery until the pain is completely unbearable, daily exercise, and a good pain relief regime. I take lyrica and arcoxia daily for pain relief. The Lyrica has given me a totally new lease on life - it renders me nearly pain free. Before I started on this drug, I could often not stand up straight because of the muscles seizing around the damaged discs and also Severe nerve pain down my left leg. This never happens now. I am running around like a young thing now! I suggest you try every alternative before you agree to surgery. Agreed, avoid surgery at all costs. Back issues take time and patience but conservative care is a much better option in the long run. Rheumatologists are not surgeons therefore a better place to start (as long as they are not getting kick backs from their surgical pals). Just bear in mind many doctors in Dubai will push for surgery whether or not it is the only option.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 16:35
I would be careful seeing surgeons about it - surgery seems to be, on the most part, their only option. I have had a horrible back problem for more than 20 years and have seen various doctors with varying degrees of success. I now see Dr hakim at Noor Hospital in Al Ain. He has suggested no surgery until the pain is completely unbearable, daily exercise, and a good pain relief regime. I take lyrica and arcoxia daily for pain relief. The Lyrica has given me a totally new lease on life - it renders me nearly pain free. Before I started on this drug, I could often not stand up straight because of the muscles seizing around the damaged discs and also Severe nerve pain down my left leg. This never happens now. I am running around like a young thing now! I suggest you try every alternative before you agree to surgery.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 16:35
I would be careful seeing surgeons about it - surgery seems to be, on the most part, their only option. I have had a horrible back problem for more than 20 years and have seen various doctors with varying degrees of success. I now see Dr hakim at Noor Hospital in Al Ain. He has suggested no surgery until the pain is completely unbearable, daily exercise, and a good pain relief regime. I take lyrica and arcoxia daily for pain relief. The Lyrica has given me a totally new lease on life - it renders me nearly pain free. Before I started on this drug, I could often not stand up straight because of the muscles seizing around the damaged discs and also Severe nerve pain down my left leg. This never happens now. I am running around like a young thing now! I suggest you try every alternative before you agree to surgery.
Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 13:50
How long has it been like this? As spinal discs have little blood supply they can take a very long time to heal. I was advised by a rheumatologist six months is optimum. This does not meant he pain will be acute for six months but it does mean you will need to take care not to irritate the area for six months 6-8 weeks should be long enough to recover from the acute phase. If you see a surgeon in Dubai I can almost guarantee they will want to do spinal surgery. With perhaps the exception of gynaecologists almost all consultants in Dubai seem to be pushing non stop for work. Even in the UK there is a saying only see a surgeon if you want surgery. My advice would be to see a rheumatologist and go from there, they may refer you to a neurosurgeon or refer you for physical therapy. Any exercises a physio or osteo give you are likely to make it worse before it gets better, but if this is the treatment recommended persevere it will pay off in the end. Even if you choose surgery you should still follow up with physio afterwards to rehabilitate the muscles in the region. Personally I would not have spinal surgery in Dubai, if I were to choose it would be Germany first then UK second. As I am British most likely I would go to the UK but I know a few people (skiers) with back injuries and they all go to Germany.
Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 10:38
Sunlight, did you see a professional who explained what this means in plain English? I am not professional, but this looks to me like you might have sciatica (bulging disc with acute pain down one leg is a symptom). I would make an appointment with an ostheopath and go from there. Good luck.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY