Singapore vs Dubai? | ExpatWoman.com

Singapore vs Dubai?

Latest post on 26 May 2015 - 19:53
Hi have lived in both the countries both have their pros and cons Houses in Dubai are bigger with the equivalent rent though Singapore has amazing condo living concept Public transport is very well established in Singapore but at the same time buying a car and maintaining is cheaper in Dubai Singapore is very green naturally but again its a tropical region so have to take care of mosquitos and insects specially if you have kids Private good schools are on expensive side in Singapore as compared to Dubai , though Local schools are less expensive but very difficult to get admission if you are not PR or Citizen Eating Out for us being vegetarian was expensive in Singapore as compared to Dubai same with the Groceries Every Services in Singapore is very well connected through Apps Cost of manpower is very high in Singapore as compared to Dubai Weather is basically Summers and Rains in Singapore Dubai though is very hot for 3-4 month but otherwise has very pleasant weather for 6-7 months If you are looking for any further specific queries feel free to ask would be glad to help
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 08:46
Been to Singapore a couple of times. Something about that city keeps me going back. Love the place! I must say, I do love their way of living too and IT RAINS IN SINGAPORE! Lucky you! Good luck on your move. Just curious, is the cost of living the same as in Dubai? I have a Korean friend who married a local there and by what she has told me, it's pretty much the same rent and all. Except for cars, the government encourages public transport, which is why it is expensive get a car there.
Latest post on 20 May 2015 - 21:03
I am reading this thread with interest as our family ( 2 kids aged 10 and 5 years) are moving to Singapore this July. We have been in Dubai for 2 years and inspite of all the obvious challenges really enjoyed our time here. We lived in KL for 3 years so familiar with and like the South East Asia way of life. Looking forward to Singapore :)
Latest post on 05 February 2014 - 10:29
and I was extremely irritated when I came to know morning pills are illegal in Dubai. I felt my freedom was taken away.
Latest post on 05 February 2014 - 10:04
I lived in Dubai and traveled few times to S'pore. What I hate most about Dubai is lack of rain, lack of 'natural' green (not man-made), being confined to indoors almost 4-5 mos of the year due to unbearable heat. For me, Dubai is a city of 'steel and glass' structures. If I love shopping in gigantic malls instead of roadside shops, and prefer personal car instead of public transport, Dubai is the place for you.
Latest post on 04 November 2013 - 15:26
Dear Coriander, I've had the good fortune to experience a few years in both (currently in Dubai). Please tell me a bit more about you and why you will go. Relocating for hubbies work? Are you British? What in particular do you want to know about and I will gladly tell you. They are both amazing cities and have their merits along with negative points.
Latest post on 04 November 2013 - 14:03
wow, TY Genkigirl. That is good to know on the new law. Interesting! I will check those links online in the forum as you suggested. I am not sure if I just look for the word to find prior posts? Thanks
Latest post on 04 November 2013 - 12:19
Singapore is a great place to live ( check previous posts there is lots of info on here about it). FYI for those looking at moving to Singapore ( this may not affect everyone) - Location Updates from Linkedin Singapore Beginning in August 2014, companies with more than 25 employees must try to find a local hire for vacancies before recruiting staff abroad. The law is limited to professional and managerial positions paying less than S$12,000 per month, which must be posted in a jobs bank administered by the Singapore Workforce Development Agency for at least 14 days before opening the search to foreigners. This move is seen as a response to public upset over the rise in foreign workers over the last decade. ___________________________________________________________
Latest post on 04 November 2013 - 11:51
Do any of you have experience living in both places? Can you please share? Our family has been in the UAE for years but we might have an opportunity in Singapore. I would love to hear a comparison on the two areas. Thanks. :) <em>edited by Coriander on 04/11/2013</em>