Have all the questions on the EW forum been asked / answered? | ExpatWoman.com

Have all the questions on the EW forum been asked / answered?

Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 11:35
Hi Again, If you read the rules you'll see the kind of things that can lead to a banning and how we moderate- we don't want to get into a debate about individual cases. Thanks! EW Admin
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 11:32
Dear Doubting Thomas, We do investigate before any bannings... we don't ban upon request- we delete posts/threads upon request. If a user has broken the rules, then they are banned. So a user can have posts deleted without being banned... it all depends on the scenario. HTH EW Admin edited by admin on 07/11/2013 But I got banned once for advocating that parents encourage their children to stay in school! Sure, lots of people disagreed with me, but I didn't insult anyone! When I wrote to enquire about what precisely I did to get banned (so I wouldn't do it again), no one got back to me at all. At least you knew why you were banned - I know lots who don't and who didn't break any rules either... emails never get answered.. I'm just guessing because it was the only thing I had posted on that day :( No offence but you can be very rude...maybe someone complained...
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 11:29
Dear Doubting Thomas, We do investigate before any bannings... we don't ban upon request- we delete posts/threads upon request. If a user has broken the rules, then they are banned. So a user can have posts deleted without being banned... it all depends on the scenario. HTH EW Admin edited by admin on 07/11/2013 But I got banned once for advocating that parents encourage their children to stay in school! Sure, lots of people disagreed with me, but I didn't insult anyone! When I wrote to enquire about what precisely I did to get banned (so I wouldn't do it again), no one got back to me at all. At least you knew why you were banned - I know lots who don't and who didn't break any rules either... emails never get answered.. I'm just guessing because it was the only thing I had posted on that day :(
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 11:27
Dear Doubting Thomas, We do investigate before any bannings... we don't ban upon request- we delete posts/threads upon request. If a user has broken the rules, then they are banned. So a user can have posts deleted without being banned... it all depends on the scenario. HTH EW Admin edited by admin on 07/11/2013 But I got banned once for advocating that parents encourage their children to stay in school! Sure, lots of people disagreed with me, but I didn't insult anyone! When I wrote to enquire about what precisely I did to get banned (so I wouldn't do it again), no one got back to me at all. At least you knew why you were banned - I know lots who don't and who didn't break any rules either... emails never get answered..
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 11:25
Dear Doubting Thomas, We do investigate before any bannings... we don't ban upon request- we delete posts/threads upon request. If a user has broken the rules, then they are banned. So a user can have posts deleted without being banned... it all depends on the scenario. HTH EW Admin edited by admin on 07/11/2013 But I got banned once for advocating that parents encourage their children to stay in school! Sure, lots of people disagreed with me, but I didn't insult anyone! When I wrote to enquire about what precisely I did to get banned (so I wouldn't do it again), no one got back to me at all.
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 11:14
Dear Doubting Thomas, We do investigate before any bannings... we don't ban upon request- we delete posts/threads upon request. If a user has broken the rules, then they are banned. So a user can have posts deleted without being banned... it all depends on the scenario. HTH EW Admin <em>edited by admin on 07/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 10:29
Thank you for your input Admin - I am encouraged to hear things may be changing soon. Can I ask if you intend to review your policy of banning members when requested to do so without any discussion or investigation ?
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 09:52
Dear All, Thank you so much for the constructive feedback. We do take your opinions seriously and will be reviewing the comments with the whole team. We are looking at rejigging the whole forum next year and will of course take your input into consideration. We strive to keep this a friendly place and need the support of you, the members, to maintain this but if personal attacks etc. happen we do have to delete and in some cases ban users. We don't enjoy this and would prefer everything and everyone to just roll along smoothly! We don't allow advertising on the forum and delete messages that are deemed to be advertising and are constantly on the watch for spam to make sure your user experience is not disturbed. Our policy is we will delete anything, at anytime for anyone and we do get requests for this, as well as having to delete things that contravene local laws. Everything is very clearly explained in the rules of the board which we're sure you've read. We are a community website and over the last 12 years have done as much as we can to support all expats here and in the wider region- through the forum, through our many events, through our job adverts, through our support of local charities and so much more. We thank you for continued loyalty and support! Warm regards, EW Admin
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 08:49
I think there should be an Amnesty and all the banned posters should be invited back !! lol That would be great, who would I choose? So many choices! edited by dolleymadison on 06/11/2013 hmmm... I wonder..... We all come back again and again and again the s u c k e r s we are for EW. Lol. You're back, dolley's back, I'm back. Everyone comes back. so who are you then ? lol
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 23:48
I think there should be an Amnesty and all the banned posters should be invited back !! lol That would be great, who would I choose? So many choices! edited by dolleymadison on 06/11/2013 hmmm... I wonder..... We all come back again and again and again the s u c k e r s we are for EW. Lol. You're back, dolley's back, I'm back. Everyone comes back.
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 23:37
I think there should be an Amnesty and all the banned posters should be invited back !! lol That would be great, who would I choose? So many choices! edited by dolleymadison on 06/11/2013 hmmm... I wonder.....
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 23:36
I think there should be an Amnesty and all the banned posters should be invited back !! lol That would be great, who would I choose? So many choices! <em>edited by dolleymadison on 06/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 23:29
I think there should be an Amnesty and all the banned posters should be invited back !! lol
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 22:42
especially odd when you see the hullabaloo on the other thread currently.......... which other thread ? the wedding one! [img'>http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2mo5pow.gif[/img'> edited by QueenL on 06/11/2013 ohhhhhhhhh welcome back cute little emoticons !! LOL !!
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 22:36
especially odd when you see the hullabaloo on the other thread currently.......... which other thread ? the wedding one! [img'>http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2mo5pow.gif[/img'> <em>edited by QueenL on 06/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 22:35
especially odd when you see the hullabaloo on the other thread currently.......... which other thread ? You know, the Salon Ink one, thats just heaving with singed responses. singed ??? lol Singed/scorched/burnt...was meant to fit with the hairdressing bit, nevermind...
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 22:25
especially odd when you see the hullabaloo on the other thread currently.......... which other thread ? You know, the Salon Ink one, thats just heaving with singed responses. singed ??? lol
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 22:25
especially odd when you see the hullabaloo on the other thread currently.......... which other thread ? You know, the Salon Ink one, thats just heaving with singed responses.
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 22:22
especially odd when you see the hullabaloo on the other thread currently.......... which other thread ?
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 22:07
especially odd when you see the hullabaloo on the other thread currently..........
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 21:27
Why did SM get banned? I think it was because she said certain people treat their maids very badly... oh I missed that one....
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 21:21
I know. I do hate it when I get the know it all rude response of some! It's the same people, just different names.
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 20:31
I still think that it was a mistake to put schools and maids onto their own boards. I loved those threads, but they don't get any traffic now. I had actually forgotten they were there....
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 20:30
Why did SM get banned? I think it was because she said certain people treat their maids very badly...
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 19:02
Mumsnet , living overseas is a nice alternative.
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 17:19
I still think that it was a mistake to put schools and maids onto their own boards. I loved those threads, but they don't get any traffic now. EW created separate forums for those topics due to the demand of EW posters. A few years ago, so many users were getting annoyed by all the maid and school topics so it was suggested that they have their own forum. Personally, the maids forum is not very interesting. It looks more like a classifieds section than a forum... QED
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 17:15
I still think that it was a mistake to put schools and maids onto their own boards. I loved those threads, but they don't get any traffic now. EW created separate forums for those topics due to the demand of EW posters. A few years ago, so many users were getting annoyed by all the maid and school topics so it was suggested that they have their own forum. Personally, the maids forum is not very interesting. It looks more like a classifieds section than a forum...
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 17:09
ANother thing that might be useful, is that granted certain questions come up so many times - why not make them sticky threads? So the information is readily available and easy to find and posters can just add new info as and when it changes. Save the same thing being asked a bazillion times. Because if everything that was ever asked a hundred times became a sticky thread, there would be hardly any new threads on this forum. And many of the questions I've posted lately seem to go unanswered anyways ... Perhaps they could have a whole "sticky" section, like a maids or school one... could may be something like a "Common Questions" section...? what, like this you mean ?? http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs.aspx No. That's lovely, very useful, I knew it was there but if you have a query on a particular piece of information then you have to post on the forum anyway.... creating the problem first raised. If it was on a sticky you could post a question, specifically on that posted information. So any new poster could read the info, then read through the replies and maybe get their questions answered without having to resort to doing a seach and then trawling through loads of posts about the same subject but that still didn't answer their question.
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 17:00
I used to spend hours on EW when I arrived in Dubai some years ago. Now I have a look & usually don't bother to log in. I miss many of the former posters Wikkid, Cyclone T, Hiccup, biscuit mountain , Shellly, Mrs.K to name but a few. I posted when I was very new to expat life & my daughter had some scary problems that only became apparent when I had left. I was totally beside myself with fear & guilt that I wasn't with her. Many wonderful Ladies replied & were so kind. I don't see those type of human interest stories much now. I think it may be because some people feel the need to be critical. My feeling about that is there but for the grace of God, go I....... Have a great day Ladies.
Latest post on 06 November 2013 - 16:54
ANother thing that might be useful, is that granted certain questions come up so many times - why not make them sticky threads? So the information is readily available and easy to find and posters can just add new info as and when it changes. Save the same thing being asked a bazillion times. a lot of things are answered elsewhere on the site but how many people ever look anywhere but the forum ? I know i don't but there is masses of stuff on here... It's normal social interaction to ask someone rather than do an encyclopaedia search. Especially when many forum users are looking for a Chat & Share experience. Personally I don't have an issue with repeat questions. Mainly cos I don't bother opening those threads unless I know I have something to contribute (positive or negative). I hate those cliffhanger thread titles that promise mystery and suspense but turn out to be someone looking for clear nail varnish or something. Me too !!! :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY