Getting the Guilt Trip | ExpatWoman.com

Getting the Guilt Trip

Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 10:07

Hiya Ladies,

A while ago I posted a thread asking you ladies what the procedure and your experiences were having a baby here. At the time i was still deciding if i should stay or not. I have now decided that it makes sense for us to stay her for a number of reasons.

We have told our families and surprisingly my in laws were okay with it and have decided to fly out here on Saturday for a week (not sure if they plan to give me the third degree when they arrive, but for now they have accepted it) I was feeling more relaxed about my own family as I thought i would get the support from them but for the past two days I have had a non stop row with my older brother.

He has told me that he misses us and wants to see his niece...which i totally understand, but the pressure has been unreal and deep down i have felt there was an alternative reason for this. In the end I found out he wants me to meet his girlfriend. Cutting a long story short, hes been with this girl for 6 months, he is intending of marrying her and will live with the rest of our family. Everyone at home was taken back as this decision was made so quickly. one minute hes getting to know her the next minute hes talking about marriage. He has made everyone uncomfortable with the situation at home by forcing everyone to meet her, its come to the point that our younger sister doesn't even like to come home after work and shops around oxford street to kill time (shes not the shopper type) all this because of the non stop bickering that is happening at home. This was one of many reasons why i didn't want to head back whilst i'm pregnant and with a 15 month old toddler.

In the end i have been told that i am being selfish, live in my own bubble and show no interest in the family. Which is totally not the case. My first child was born there and it was the worst experience of my life. Everyone has told me so many good things about the birth here and as I feel more prepared and we have a routine here it seems like the best decision is to stay. Not to mention my hubs may miss the birth if I do go back. Its like no one is ready to accept that this is my home now.

No one understands where i am coming from and the two day bickering over whatapp has given me an insight of what it probably will be like when i'm there for god knows how long...no wonder my sister doesn't enjoy coming home straight away.

I really don't know what to say to them any more...its so stressful and it feels like i'm going to be just as stressed no matter where i decide to stay. Am i really wrong for not wanting to go back!!!

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 22:17
Never feel guilty for doing what is right for your family, for the family YOU are responsible for. Nomad, I know how it feels. I just buried my mom a few weeks ago, very suddenly. Makes you ask yourself, should I have done this, or that.. But I realised it doesn't matter now'. It's not family that made me feel that way though, and I have found peace knowing nothing happens without reason or wisdom, as much as we can't always see it. I would be hurt if my family would try to make me feel guilty for not being there as they expected of you. Thanks for the kind words Maroosh I am still dealing with the cruel words but my faith is VERY strong and this carries me. It was my father who said it ..... We have never spoken since. As you say do right by those you are responsible for it is not possible to divide yourself in two....this not only applies to expat life but life in general. By they way how are the wedding plans going ?;) So painful to see how in a time of grief when people are supposed to come closer to each other, they only drift apart and start blaming others for whatnot. I am seeing this now from close by. With regards to wedding plans, my head is not there right now. Still coming to terms with losing my mom, and the idea of her never knowing my husband or seeing my children really makes me sad. And makes me not feel very festive. Hopefully that will change once I get to the future hubby! I really wished we were already married, in this past 2 weeks. I really could have used his shoulder... He felt the same, he wished he was in Holland with me.
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 22:05
Never feel guilty for doing what is right for your family, for the family YOU are responsible for. Nomad, I know how it feels. I just buried my mom a few weeks ago, very suddenly. Makes you ask yourself, should I have done this, or that.. But I realised it doesn't matter now'. It's not family that made me feel that way though, and I have found peace knowing nothing happens without reason or wisdom, as much as we can't always see it. I would be hurt if my family would try to make me feel guilty for not being there as they expected of you. Thanks for the kind words Maroosh I am still dealing with the cruel words but my faith is VERY strong and this carries me. It was my father who said it ..... We have never spoken since. As you say do right by those you are responsible for it is not possible to divide yourself in two....this not only applies to expat life but life in general. By they way how are the wedding plans going ?;)
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 21:52
Never feel guilty for doing what is right for your family, for the family YOU are responsible for. Nomad, I know how it feels. I just buried my mom a few weeks ago, very suddenly. Makes you ask yourself, should I have done this, or that.. But I realised it doesn't matter now'. It's not family that made me feel that way though, and I have found peace knowing nothing happens without reason or wisdom, as much as we can't always see it. I would be hurt if my family would try to make me feel guilty for not being there as they expected of you.
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 19:20
What is important right now is your family nucleus in DXB. They come first ,what you have left over can be shared with the rest of your family. I spent 30+ years as an expat and tried desperately to divide myself equally ..........it doesn't work !!! I worried constantly,run myself ragged trying to ' be there ' for everyone and all I got for my trouble was blame. Right up until the day I buried my mother I was told ' you weren't even here when she died '.Broke my heart:'( Please don't do what I did ,no matter what I did no one was happy .At least by looking after your bubs and DH ,putting them first, your family will be happy and you will be a lot healthier and I am sure have a better delivery and pregnancy. Love hoots idea about getting them to come and see you, a good comeback to the ' I want to get to know my niece ', but be prepared for the ' well we can't really travel right now ' which is the standard reply I got ALL the time despite offering business class tickets and paying for EVERYTHING while family visited. This is a battle many never win and unless you decide what is important to you it will just go on and on. Hope it all works out.XXX
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 16:41
Why are you bothering yourself about this? You have your own family and new baby to care about, look after and look forward to. Tell big brother that you too value your relationships and his with his niece but you and your DH have a family to nurture and grow. Such is the cycle of life. Your brother needs to grow up as he sounds very immature. I have found it to be a good strategy to say my piece and then stop. I have no need to explain or justify my decisions concerning myself or my family. I have 5 brothers and sisters and in way would I allow them to manipulate me or MY family into doing something we did not care to do. I wouldn't invite him either - you and your family need to take it easy before new baby arrives. <em>edited by marycatherine on 07/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 12:54
Sell it to your brother that by him and his girlfriend coming to visit you in your new home, they get to see how well your new life in Dubai is for your immediate family. I am sure any girlfriend would be delighted to visit Dubai where she gets to meet a future sister-in-law and niece. Why would you want to go back when the weather is so nice here for you daughter to be out and about, whereas in UK its wet and miserable now. :-( Sounds as though there is a lot of tension there and you can do without that.
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 12:27
Thanks Hoots, it is nice that they all care so much for us but they do need to respect my decision. Izzy, we are very close. He pressurized my sister into meeting his girlfriend on two occasions, its fair to say they both went t*ts up and she doesn't have any impression on his girlfriend atall. He probably does need my help, and i know theres only so much i can do from here...but i did talk to him and my mum and tried to sort things. He then went back and twisted everything I had said or it may have been misinterpreted but i'm not there to defend myself so I've decided to back off now. Maybe me being there will help but right now I need to put my family first. It seems like a big mess :(
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 11:45
Are you close to your brother? Maybe he needs you there to back him up? Perhaps he needs your help in getting teh family to agree to the marriage? Perhaps he needs your help?
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 11:28
Hoots, he has come up a few times to meet us all, and i know hes mad about his niece. He suggested I go back home with my inlaws and then he can fly out here to drop me off...but I know as soon as I get there I will get the pressure to stay again. I think I'll take your advice and ask him to come out here with his girlfriend instead, but we have a guest staying for a whole month...feels like i'm hitting a brick wall everywhere. I told him i'd like to see how much he travels when he has a 15 month old baby and a pregnant wife. Carla, I'm defo sticking to my guns with this one but deleting whatapp will create more problems for me as they will then feel I am totally cutting ties with everyone...wish it was as simple as that. Hang in there hun, families are not easy and it does make it harder when we move abroad but sometimes its a choice we have to make and families need to be supportive of this. Its so nice that your brother actually wants to spend time with you and your family so that is a positive thing, I think you just need to overcome this little hurdle. Maybe say to him to come out for a holiday then agree that once the baby is born and in a routine you will come back to the UK for a holiday so he can spend time with BOTH your children. Put the emphasis on that. i hope you work things out. hugs
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 10:48
Hoots, he has come up a few times to meet us all, and i know hes mad about his niece. He suggested I go back home with my inlaws and then he can fly out here to drop me off...but I know as soon as I get there I will get the pressure to stay again. I think I'll take your advice and ask him to come out here with his girlfriend instead, but we have a guest staying for a whole month...feels like i'm hitting a brick wall everywhere. I told him i'd like to see how much he travels when he has a 15 month old baby and a pregnant wife. Carla, I'm defo sticking to my guns with this one but deleting whatapp will create more problems for me as they will then feel I am totally cutting ties with everyone...wish it was as simple as that.
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 10:28
Just do what feels right for you and your lil one who is about to arrive. Stress is not good at this time, so just forget and relax. Delete whatsapp for a while! :-)
Latest post on 07 November 2013 - 10:25
Why not put the ball in his court and offer for him and his girlfriend to come and stay with you here in Dubai so that you can get to meet her? That way you are showing interest and coming up with a solution to the problem. If he doesnt take you up on the offer then what more can you do. Has your brother come out here in the past to spend time with his niece?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY