Where to buy a GPS? | ExpatWoman.com

Where to buy a GPS?

Latest post on 11 November 2013 - 16:06

Hi,

My husband has just arrived in Dubai ( me and my daughter follow next month) . I need some advice please on where he can buy a GPS and which is the cheapest place please?

Thanks

Deb

Latest post on 23 August 2015 - 05:03
Great advice all.... after checking GPS reviews and prices in stores and Dubizzle I'm convinced about navigating with a smartphone! (Never mind that I've been committed to never having one... :p) Besides Google Maps, the RTA's SmartDrive and the Sygic app (on sale now till Aug 31) seem worth checking out since they can be used offline (no data) but are supposed to update frequently. Anyone used Sygic before? It's had good reviews on a lot of forums. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura&hl=en As an aside... what's a good entry-level, less-expensive Android phone to get? I want something good enough so that it doesn't annoy me but priced so that it won't make me cry if it breaks... mom of 3 here with an extensive phone-breaking history! My husband is thinking an old model of a good phone like a Samsung Nexus 3, and we've heard we could find old models like that in Satwa - does that sound like a good idea?
Latest post on 20 August 2015 - 09:45
Hi, I moved here a year ago and we used a Garmin for a while but tbh the Dubai government RTA app is fabulous, it works on gps so doesn't use any data and has not let me down. Good luck
Latest post on 19 August 2015 - 16:37
Totally agree with Fairfield. Google maps on phone is perfect, just make sure you have an in car charger for your phone. Does drain battery but oh so precise!! Love it!!! ;):cool:
Latest post on 18 August 2015 - 12:05
I find Google maps a lot more accurate that many of the gps(s?). As long as you have a holder and a charger for your phone (it eats battery) it's really useful. Also people can send you Whatsapp pins of where they are and you can be get directions to the pin by Google maps. FFx
Latest post on 18 August 2015 - 11:50
if you have an iphone i would just download google maps app. Just the same as a GPS
Latest post on 17 August 2015 - 22:58
Any new advice about this? Especially the closest place to look near JLT (cluster C)? Nearest for you would be shops in ibn battuta mall (accessible via metro). You can check prices of GPS online at sharafdg.com. Shop is in China court in ibn battuta mall.
Latest post on 17 August 2015 - 22:14
I use apps on my phone..
Latest post on 17 August 2015 - 19:48
Any new advice about this? Especially the closest place to look near JLT (cluster C)?
Latest post on 12 November 2013 - 17:52
We got our Garmin at Sharaf DG for a few hundred dirhams.
Latest post on 11 November 2013 - 18:48
200 AED @ Dragonmart
Latest post on 11 November 2013 - 18:09
Carrefour. Good luck with your move!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 11 November 2013 - 16:45
I bought a small Garmin from Lulu - around 700/- a couple of years ago. It is easy to use and never fails. I do have a GPS built into my new car which I do use sometimes, but find the Garmin easier to use than the one provided by Toyota. A GPS certainly makes life a lot easier!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY