Addicted to Xbox !!! | ExpatWoman.com

Addicted to Xbox !!!

Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 09:37

Does anyone else have a 12 year old who is addicted to Xbox ? After coming in from school (having done homework) its straight upstairs to play - and thats where he stays.
i've imposed time limits - but its all he seems to want to do at the minute - and causes awful rows with his dad (when i'm not around)

i guess this is a ''teenage thing' - anyone in similar position?

Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 18:56
It is all about balance.If the kids have done their chores and homework ( def not rushed ) then yes kids should have down time and if it is Xbox then that's fine. However it is important to limit the time they play as it can very easily become addictive.My DIL had to put her foot down with my GD as she was getting too involved with her games to the exclusion of all else and she is only 6. Now she works towards the goal of getting a half hour a day and if there is any glitch along the way poof no game until mom says OK.It has worked out well as this is now a bargaining tool.
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 14:56
I agree with ChuckyDucky in that homework must be completely done (not hurried through), chores finished, and room picked up with bed made. I never liked video games myself but maybe because atari and pac man weren't that interesting (I feel old now). I have 4 kids age 6-12 and they love their xbox. We limit use of it during the week to no more than an hour after school. This is not easy and we have actually gotten into some major blowouts because they wanted to keep playing. If they want to do 'extra credit' to get more time they can. We offer sit-ups/push-ups and jumping jacks. Sounds mean but it works for us and the kids get some exercise on hot days. I also use it as a carrot to keep behavior in line and this works most of the time. I do have to say that mine discovered Minecraft and the 4 of them play together making the most amazing creations. I don't like violent games but ones like Minecraft where they create and build together are really amazing. Thanks ToutSweetParis, i'll try the extra credit bit, and yes, he's discovered Minecraft,and generally plays nicer with his younger 10yr old brother. Although im sure they'd both play all night if i let them ! Thanks very much for your advice <em>edited by AugGirl on 19/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 14:56
As long as he does his homework, keeps getting good grades, does any chores you give him and is semi-decent company at dinner etc. (as much as a 12 year old can be...) then I would let it go. Kids play with each other on Xbox live all the time so he is not as isolated as you may think. I'm sure most other moms on here will disagree with me, but I used to do nothing but play video games during certain phases as a teenager and I got great grades, have plenty of friends, am not socially awkward, married a lovely man and I'm now a mom myself and can't wait till my son can game with me :) Video games are not evil. Thanks very much for your input ChuckyDucky - its good to hear others are going through similar experiences
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 13:11
I agree with ChuckyDucky in that homework must be completely done (not hurried through), chores finished, and room picked up with bed made. I never liked video games myself but maybe because atari and pac man weren't that interesting (I feel old now). I have 4 kids age 6-12 and they love their xbox. We limit use of it during the week to no more than an hour after school. This is not easy and we have actually gotten into some major blowouts because they wanted to keep playing. If they want to do 'extra credit' to get more time they can. We offer sit-ups/push-ups and jumping jacks. Sounds mean but it works for us and the kids get some exercise on hot days. I also use it as a carrot to keep behavior in line and this works most of the time. I do have to say that mine discovered Minecraft and the 4 of them play together making the most amazing creations. I don't like violent games but ones like Minecraft where they create and build together are really amazing.
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 11:48
As long as he does his homework, keeps getting good grades, does any chores you give him and is semi-decent company at dinner etc. (as much as a 12 year old can be...) then I would let it go. Kids play with each other on Xbox live all the time so he is not as isolated as you may think. I'm sure most other moms on here will disagree with me, but I used to do nothing but play video games during certain phases as a teenager and I got great grades, have plenty of friends, am not socially awkward, married a lovely man and I'm now a mom myself and can't wait till my son can game with me :) Video games are not evil.
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 10:00
Does anyone else have a 12 year old who is addicted to Xbox ? After coming in from school (having done homework) its straight upstairs to play - and thats where he stays. i've imposed time limits - but its all he seems to want to do at the minute - and causes awful rows with his dad (when i'm not around) i guess this is a ''teenage thing' - anyone in similar position? Take it off him, that is what my Sister did with her Son when he wouldn't stay off the thing

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY