Where to report shocking driving | ExpatWoman.com

Where to report shocking driving

Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 13:13
To the OP: I would not report him, just get over. Today is a new day, do not waste your efforts. Drivers like him make you a better, more cautious driver, who is more prepared to the unexpected, and reacts better in such situations. I became a much better and safer driver since living here. I also became a driver who follows the rules less, like all of us... We slowly lose the routine of indicating if no cars are close etc... Do not be judgmental, one day you may need to create your own lane. This is one of the most irresponsible pieces of claptrap I've ever seen on EW. ditto
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 12:05
To the OP: I would not report him, just get over. Today is a new day, do not waste your efforts. Drivers like him make you a better, more cautious driver, who is more prepared to the unexpected, and reacts better in such situations. I became a much better and safer driver since living here. I also became a driver who follows the rules less, like all of us... We slowly lose the routine of indicating if no cars are close etc... Do not be judgmental, one day you may need to create your own lane. This is one of the most irresponsible pieces of claptrap I've ever seen on EW.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 11:11
1) Many reckless drivers consider themselves "brave", and that is the prevailing attitude in their circles, i.e. someone driving safely is "scared", and someone being reckless is "brave' 2) There is a disproportionate amount of blame placed on people going slow in the fast lane. Some consider the fast lane a license to drive at whatever speed they want, regardless of road conditions. It is this arrogance that causes accidents and not just slow drivers. Yes, one should not cruise at 100 on the left lane, but if you are doing 160 there in a 120 zone, you should slow down and not use the hard shoulder or swerve across lanes.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 11:06
Having lost a family member recently to a dangerous driver I encourage OP to report, report, report. He was neither timid nor inexperienced as a driver. There is no "handling" the situation in many accidents, they happen before you even realise. To follow a popular train of thought on EW; if you can't respect the laws of this country, decreed by the rulers for very good reasons, perhaps it's not the place for you.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 11:06
if you can't handle the driving circumstances, stay in the quiet areas. This is horrible to say but somewhat true. Being scared will increase the risk of not acting reasonably in an unexpected situation. :( Erm I said the statistics were scary not that I drive around with my eyes shut.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 10:58
if you can't handle the driving circumstances, stay in the quiet areas. This is horrible to say but somewhat true. Being scared will increase the risk of not acting reasonably in an unexpected situation. :(
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 10:55
Well some people wanted to turn this into a nationality issue. Shall we continue with that? It's good to see that the Dubai police recognise fatalities are clearly caused by Australian, US and British drivers and because of them sticking to the rules of the road and not being 'good' enough drivers as shown in this article... Oh wait... http://www.7daysindubai.com/Dubai-traffic-cop-hits-shocking-death-toll-roads/story-19803055-detail/story.html And just as I said earlier, "The number had been decreasing since 2008.” Hence using 2005 figures will not do justice.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 10:48
Well some people wanted to turn this into a nationality issue. Shall we continue with that? It's good to see that the Dubai police recognise fatalities are clearly caused by Australian, US and British drivers and because of them sticking to the rules of the road and not being 'good' enough drivers as shown in this article... Oh wait... http://www.7daysindubai.com/Dubai-traffic-cop-hits-shocking-death-toll-roads/story-19803055-detail/story.html
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 09:29
I would just love to see all you excellent and safe drivers on SZR. Most problems there are caused by inexperienced and insecure drivers. Lots of them are only used to the empty roads in Australia or US. Agree with BubblingCreek. If you refuse to adapt, stick to the ranches or beach road. Clearly you've never driven in AUS or the US! It's actually usually the drivers sat pootling along in the 4th lane, refusing to move over when they're doing less than the speed limit and forcing people to overtake/undertake them that cause many of the issues. The problems come when there are so many different standards of driving - Jordan/Lebanon/India/SriLanka (to name a few) - all far far worse than here. I've lived in the US as well as in Jordan, so I know what I'm talking about. Many Americans are lousy drivers! And I know plenty Aussie's and Americans here who are afraid to drive, so as mentioned before, if you can't handle the driving circumstances, stay in the quiet areas.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 09:14
I would just love to see all you excellent and safe drivers on SZR. Most problems there are caused by inexperienced and insecure drivers. Lots of them are only used to the empty roads in Australia or US. Agree with BubblingCreek. If you refuse to adapt, stick to the ranches or beach road. I agree that there are timid and over cautious drivers on the roads too who can be unpredictable and cause issues but honestly can you blame them? If by "adapting" you mean driving like an inconsiderate, aggressive, arrogant and erratic person that is never going to happen! Nice dig at the Australian and US drivers ha ha ha it's laughable! It is this mindset that makes for the exact drivers this post is referring to.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 08:42
I would just love to see all you excellent and safe drivers on SZR. Most problems there are caused by inexperienced and insecure drivers. Lots of them are only used to the empty roads in Australia or US. Agree with BubblingCreek. If you refuse to adapt, stick to the ranches or beach road. Clearly you've never driven in AUS or the US! It's actually usually the drivers sat pootling along in the 4th lane, refusing to move over when they're doing less than the speed limit and forcing people to overtake/undertake them that cause many of the issues. The problems come when there are so many different standards of driving - Jordan/Lebanon/India/SriLanka (to name a few) - all far far worse than here.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 08:38
I would just love to see all you excellent and safe drivers on SZR. Most problems there are caused by inexperienced and insecure drivers. Lots of them are only used to the empty roads in Australia or US. Agree with BubblingCreek. If you refuse to adapt, stick to the ranches or beach road.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 08:18
RuthM, how can you compare the uAE to the UK? Yes, we want to be safe, but really you should stick to driving around the Ranches. You are expecting 95% of the population to adopt your mindset. That is a bit steep.
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 08:08
Yes I do drive, no I was not driving at the time. Creating your own lane is one thing, although there is absolutely no reason why I or anyone for that matter would ever 'need' to create an extra lane to go straight on. But I cannot believe some people think cutting across oncoming traffic then purposely driving down the wrong side of the road weaving in and out of oncoming traffic before cutting back and blocking the road at a main junction corner until someone let him into the front of the queue is acceptable driving practice. With attitudes like this I wonder is there any point to road signs, traffic lights, lanes or frankly having separate sides of the road. Perhaps we should just abolish it all and just have a big piece of tarmac and destruction derby? And with some of the responses here I am not surprised the UAE has some of the highest road deaths in the world. Some 118.5 fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles, as a comparison the UK is a mere 5.1. To put this into perspective that statistic is one death per 844 vehicles against the UK which is one death per 19,608 vehicles. So in Arabian Ranches for example if you average two vehicles per property and approximately 4000 properties you can anticipate almost 10 deaths per year. That's ten mothers or fathers or sons or daughters, ten lives wasted, ten families destroyed. The UAE has 310 deaths per billion km travelled against 3.6 in the UK that is 100 times more than the UK statistic, frankly quite terrifying. So for those of you that think bad driving is no big deal and who want to live in a country where the driving is shocking and wish to continue to put your children's lives at risk on the roads every day then I can only say you are fools. I will continue to do all I can to try and improve the conditions on roads here to create a safer environment for everyone. Which means driving as safely as possible myself and reporting bad drivers to the police to try and get them off the roads. I totally agree with you and some of the statements which have been made in response to your post make my blood boil. I can only come to the conclusion that some of the comments which have been made are from the type of drivers you are referring to. People keep telling me that I will get used to the driving here, but there is just no way I will. I feel like I risk my life every day whilst commuting. I cannot believe how arrogant, dangerous and down right stupid some people are. Thank goodness there are many courteous and safe drivers like yourself on the roads trying to make things better. edited by Thunderbird on 23/11/2013 LIKE! :)
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 07:21
Yes I do drive, no I was not driving at the time. Creating your own lane is one thing, although there is absolutely no reason why I or anyone for that matter would ever 'need' to create an extra lane to go straight on. But I cannot believe some people think cutting across oncoming traffic then purposely driving down the wrong side of the road weaving in and out of oncoming traffic before cutting back and blocking the road at a main junction corner until someone let him into the front of the queue is acceptable driving practice. With attitudes like this I wonder is there any point to road signs, traffic lights, lanes or frankly having separate sides of the road. Perhaps we should just abolish it all and just have a big piece of tarmac and destruction derby? And with some of the responses here I am not surprised the UAE has some of the highest road deaths in the world. Some 118.5 fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles, as a comparison the UK is a mere 5.1. To put this into perspective that statistic is one death per 844 vehicles against the UK which is one death per 19,608 vehicles. So in Arabian Ranches for example if you average two vehicles per property and approximately 4000 properties you can anticipate almost 10 deaths per year. That's ten mothers or fathers or sons or daughters, ten lives wasted, ten families destroyed. The UAE has 310 deaths per billion km travelled against 3.6 in the UK that is 100 times more than the UK statistic, frankly quite terrifying. So for those of you that think bad driving is no big deal and who want to live in a country where the driving is shocking and wish to continue to put your children's lives at risk on the roads every day then I can only say you are fools. I will continue to do all I can to try and improve the conditions on roads here to create a safer environment for everyone. Which means driving as safely as possible myself and reporting bad drivers to the police to try and get them off the roads. I totally agree with you and some of the statements which have been made in response to your post make my blood boil. I can only come to the conclusion that some of the comments which have been made are from the type of drivers you are referring to. People keep telling me that I will get used to the driving here, but there is just no way I will. I feel like I risk my life every day whilst commuting. I cannot believe how arrogant, dangerous and down right stupid some people are. Thank goodness there are many courteous and safe drivers like yourself on the roads trying to make things better. <em>edited by Thunderbird on 23/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 23 November 2013 - 01:48
Yes I do drive, no I was not driving at the time. Creating your own lane is one thing, although there is absolutely no reason why I or anyone for that matter would ever 'need' to create an extra lane to go straight on. But I cannot believe some people think cutting across oncoming traffic then purposely driving down the wrong side of the road weaving in and out of oncoming traffic before cutting back and blocking the road at a main junction corner until someone let him into the front of the queue is acceptable driving practice. With attitudes like this I wonder is there any point to road signs, traffic lights, lanes or frankly having separate sides of the road. Perhaps we should just abolish it all and just have a big piece of tarmac and destruction derby? And with some of the responses here I am not surprised the UAE has some of the highest road deaths in the world. Some 118.5 fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles, as a comparison the UK is a mere 5.1. To put this into perspective that statistic is one death per 844 vehicles against the UK which is one death per 19,608 vehicles. So in Arabian Ranches for example if you average two vehicles per property and approximately 4000 properties you can anticipate almost 10 deaths per year. That's ten mothers or fathers or sons or daughters, ten lives wasted, ten families destroyed. The UAE has 310 deaths per billion km travelled against 3.6 in the UK that is 100 times more than the UK statistic, frankly quite terrifying. So for those of you that think bad driving is no big deal and who want to live in a country where the driving is shocking and wish to continue to put your children's lives at risk on the roads every day then I can only say you are fools. I will continue to do all I can to try and improve the conditions on roads here to create a safer environment for everyone. Which means driving as safely as possible myself and reporting bad drivers to the police to try and get them off the roads. The Wikipedia data you have quoted is from 2005, there was serious improvement on this since. The data by itself also misleading, for example in saudi it is only 86, does it mean that they drive safer than residents of the UAE? Or does it mean women should not drive!?!?
Latest post on 22 November 2013 - 22:07
Yes I do drive, no I was not driving at the time. Creating your own lane is one thing, although there is absolutely no reason why I or anyone for that matter would ever 'need' to create an extra lane to go straight on. But I cannot believe some people think cutting across oncoming traffic then purposely driving down the wrong side of the road weaving in and out of oncoming traffic before cutting back and blocking the road at a main junction corner until someone let him into the front of the queue is acceptable driving practice. With attitudes like this I wonder is there any point to road signs, traffic lights, lanes or frankly having separate sides of the road. Perhaps we should just abolish it all and just have a big piece of tarmac and destruction derby? And with some of the responses here I am not surprised the UAE has some of the highest road deaths in the world. Some 118.5 fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles, as a comparison the UK is a mere 5.1. To put this into perspective that statistic is one death per 844 vehicles against the UK which is one death per 19,608 vehicles. So in Arabian Ranches for example if you average two vehicles per property and approximately 4000 properties you can anticipate almost 10 deaths per year. That's ten mothers or fathers or sons or daughters, ten lives wasted, ten families destroyed. The UAE has 310 deaths per billion km travelled against 3.6 in the UK that is 100 times more than the UK statistic, frankly quite terrifying. So for those of you that think bad driving is no big deal and who want to live in a country where the driving is shocking and wish to continue to put your children's lives at risk on the roads every day then I can only say you are fools. I will continue to do all I can to try and improve the conditions on roads here to create a safer environment for everyone. Which means driving as safely as possible myself and reporting bad drivers to the police to try and get them off the roads.
Latest post on 22 November 2013 - 19:51
I'd report him. It's silly drivers like these that cause accidents,which could cost lives, not to mention traffic jams. The number is 800 4353 I have them on speed dial ;) ( I have only had cause to use them twice in 3 yrs ) They take details of car number plate along with the letter, colour, make and where the offence was committed. They then send a message to the owner of the vehicle that a report of dangerous driving was lodged against them. I see at least 3/4 accidents (sometimes more) weekly on my commute to/from Sharjah, which so easily could be avoided if drivers indicated and left a good breaking distance from the car in front!
Latest post on 22 November 2013 - 13:27
RuthM, were you driving yourself or a passenger, and do you drive? And yes this changes my opinion.
Latest post on 22 November 2013 - 13:27
RuthM, were you driving yourself or a passenger, and do you drive? And yes this changes my opinion.
Latest post on 22 November 2013 - 10:58
First off, why would you NOT report dangerous drivers? The more people who report these idiots and get them fined the better - otherwise they keep doing it. Second - you are absolutely fine to take a photo of the vehicle and number plate and send it to the police! What IS against the law, is sharing it on socila networking sites. But the police actively encourage you to send them photos/videos of dangerous drivers - evidence helps the case.
Latest post on 22 November 2013 - 10:52
To the OP: I would not report him, just get over. Today is a new day, do not waste your efforts. Drivers like him make you a better, more cautious driver, who is more prepared to the unexpected, and reacts better in such situations. I became a much better and safer driver since living here. I also became a driver who follows the rules less, like all of us... We slowly lose the routine of indicating if no cars are close etc... Do not be judgmental, one day you may need to create your own lane.
Latest post on 22 November 2013 - 10:43
This is definitely the worst I have seen in four years. You need to live on my street then. Nobody drives on the correct side of the road. It is a free for all. I really would not worry if I was you.
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 20:59
Did you get the number plate? I got a photo of the back of he car. Did you gain the drivers permission first? lol I didn't take a picture of the occupants of the car, only the street and the car itself sitting on lines in its very own newly created third lane ;-) Shame though as he was also on his mobile phone. edited by RuthM on 21/11/2013 Really interested to hear how this plays out RuthM in view of the 'other incident' where the guy was filmed beating on the fellow he was upset with over the traffic issue. Wasn't the person shooting the video arrested ? yes, and he got a longer jail term than the man committing the assault !! His offence was posting the video to You Tube - it's ok to hand to the police as evidence but you can't publish it...
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 20:44
Did you get the number plate? I got a photo of the back of he car. Did you gain the drivers permission first? lol I didn't take a picture of the occupants of the car, only the street and the car itself sitting on lines in its very own newly created third lane ;-) Shame though as he was also on his mobile phone. edited by RuthM on 21/11/2013 Really interested to hear how this plays out RuthM in view of the 'other incident' where the guy was filmed beating on the fellow he was upset with over the traffic issue. Wasn't the person shooting the video arrested ?
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 20:43
Did you get the number plate? I got a photo of the back of he car. Did you gain the drivers permission first? lol I didn't take a picture of the occupants of the car, only the street and the car itself sitting on lines in its very own newly created third lane ;-) Shame though as he was also on his mobile phone. edited by RuthM on 21/11/2013 Hope you weren't driving !! lol
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 20:39
Did you get the number plate? I got a photo of the back of he car. Did you gain the drivers permission first? lol I didn't take a picture of the occupants of the car, only the street and the car itself sitting on lines in its very own newly created third lane ;-) Shame though as he was also on his mobile phone. <em>edited by RuthM on 21/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 20:30
Did you get the number plate? I got a photo of the back of he car. Did you gain the drivers permission first? lol
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 20:30
Did you get the number plate? I got a photo of the back of he car.
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 19:19
Did you get the number plate?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY