Snails destroying my garden :( | ExpatWoman.com

Snails destroying my garden :(

Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 16:53

Hi ladies,
Can you recommend a treatment for garden snails?
We have literally thousands of them, tiny little brown snails.
We've had a professional garden company out to spray, which seems to kill them for a week and then they return. The spray I poisonous to animals so we need to keep the pets inside for days.
We've used a slug pellet remedy from the Garden Centre in Dubai but at 250dhs per application it's becoming expensive since it seems to work for around 3 weeks, after which we need to re-apply.

If you know of a treatment / remedy that's worked for you please let me know.

Thank you.

Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 18:42
Have an omelette party !!!!
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 18:25
A remedy my granny used that works. Collect eggs shells put them in a bag grind with a rolling pin.This will give you little shards of shell. Spread then in the flower beds on the top of the soil. The snails avoid them as they cut the underbelly and the shells do compost back into the soil.....win win ;) Thank you! I will try this and let you know if it worked. There might be a shortage of eggs in RAK in the coming weeks ?
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 18:21
Do a google search and you will find various methods using beer, cornmeal, sand, coffee grounds, etc. Amelia thanks for your reply. I've googled and seen all of those remedies. The only one I've not tried is the coffee.... Only because the others had no effect. I'll give it a go though but not holding out much hope. I can't believe we have such an infestation and that we're the only ones not able to find a definite treatment. Well I suppose we have but it'll cost 500dhs every 6 weeks grrrr.
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 18:17
A remedy my granny used that works. Collect eggs shells put them in a bag grind with a rolling pin.This will give you little shards of shell. Spread then in the flower beds on the top of the soil. The snails avoid them as they cut the underbelly and the shells do compost back into the soil.....win win ;)
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 18:16
Thanks, sugarbeach but they are in the lawn and the salt will kill the lawn too.
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 18:10
Do a google search and you will find various methods using beer, cornmeal, sand, coffee grounds, etc.
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 18:01
Cooking salt is good for destroying, or more like dissolving, snails and slugs. <em>edited by Sugarbeach on 21/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 17:21
Hi ladies, Can you recommend a treatment for garden snails? We have literally thousands of them, tiny little brown snails. We've had a professional garden company out to spray, which seems to kill them for a week and then they return. The spray I poisonous to animals so we need to keep the pets inside for days. We've used a slug pellet remedy from the Garden Centre in Dubai but at 250dhs per application it's becoming expensive since it seems to work for around 3 weeks, after which we need to re-apply. If you know of a treatment / remedy that's worked for you please let me know. Thank you. It is utterly pointless to spray to eradicate snails, I think the "professional" garden company saw you coming.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY