What does it mean to you if Dubai won Expo 2020? | ExpatWoman.com

What does it mean to you if Dubai won Expo 2020?

Latest post on 27 November 2013 - 19:57

Yes, you.

Latest post on 01 December 2013 - 16:58
WHy don't these LL's understand that the Expo is SEVEN years away? There's no excuse to bump up costs NOW. It's pure greed and nothing more. Now you are talking about logic in Dubai. I just want to know what the rent might be in 2020. Ha ha. I don't know what the rent might be in 2020. But definitely it isn't going to be any lower than what it is now.
Latest post on 01 December 2013 - 09:42
http://www.thenational.ae/business/industry-insights/finance/dubai-expo-2020-after-euphoria-comes-the-question-how-to-pay-for-it [b'>Dubai Expo 2020: After euphoria comes the question ‘how to pay for it?’[/b'>
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 20:39
WHy don't these LL's understand that the Expo is SEVEN years away? There's no excuse to bump up costs NOW. It's pure greed and nothing more. Now you are talking about logic in Dubai. I just want to know what the rent might be in 2020.
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 12:48
WHy don't these LL's understand that the Expo is SEVEN years away? There's no excuse to bump up costs NOW. It's pure greed and nothing more. Unfortunately, it's something called "expectations," a very real economic concept. The sad fact is that unless you are already invested in the property market here, it's going to get harder for you financially. Having said that, there is likely to be more demand in the job market - as employers expectations rise - so it might be good for your career to stay. For me, I'm looking homeward ...
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 11:46
WHy don't these LL's understand that the Expo is SEVEN years away? There's no excuse to bump up costs NOW. It's pure greed and nothing more.
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 11:39
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy! We will hear many more stories like this in the near future. its a great news we got expo 2020, lot of vacancies but the fact is business class people are more benefited to this result as they have many more opportunity than the working class in terms of income unlimited possiblities
Latest post on 29 November 2013 - 18:41
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy! We will hear many more stories like this in the near future.
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 22:34
277k is a bit of a weird number why not round it down to 250.
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 22:32
Yeah I get it but even those low paid workers will be living here somewhere and spending some of their wages within the economy, and after all isn't that more like a normal place where all strata of society live together and contribute something?
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 21:50
"Dubai predicts 277,000 jobs will be created as a result of the Expo; a big number given it equates to 20% of the current workforce of 1.3 million And most of those jobs will be low-paid ones in the hotel, restaurant and retail sectors. The people who get those jobs won't be able to afford to rent or buy property. The emirate also forecasts visitors of 25 million, an optimistic figure Optimistic? Yeah, I suppose that's one way of putting it.
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 21:03
Speaking of international coverage, the WSJ did have this little blurb on its ME blog: http://blogs.wsj.com/middleeast/2013/11/28/what-does-hosting-world-expo-2020-mean-for-dubai/ To summarize: "The news might be lost on many people outside the United Arab Emirates, as expos aren’t quite as high profile as holding the Olympics or the soccer World Cup." "Dubai predicts 277,000 jobs will be created as a result of the Expo; a big number given it equates to 20% of the current workforce of 1.3 million, according to Capital Economics. The emirate also forecasts visitors of 25 million, an optimistic figure compared with the 10 million visitors last year, and the 16 million expected in London this year, the leading city worldwide for visitors."
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 19:20
Haven't found anything on CNN or BBC but did read about 'Popcorn and Caramel' the Thanksgiving turkey's being pardoned.;) edited by Nomad on 28/11/2013 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25132810 Point being the turkeys on the home page news.....the expo is tucked away under ME section.....
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 15:34
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy! Why not refer the poor guy to one of our Rera/Rent committee experts? This would be a cause worth supporting. Because he is probably sharing with too many....so he has no leg to stand on, yeah 6 to a room in this particular building - i'm pretty sure there are no contracts and definitely no laws protecting them!
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 15:33
Oh and FYI - I have been on every major news website today and not even a mention of Dubai winning the Expo?????? Then you haven't been on WSJ, Bloomberg, Reuters, LA Times, CNBC, BusinessWeek, Guardian, BBC, HeraldSun (Australia), Al Jazeera or FT to name but a few. ;)
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 14:42
I agree to both sides - there will definitely be positives and negatives What were the positives again? Sanddy_Dogg being able to break free from being chained to her mortgage and holidays? :D Oh, yes. The 20dhs increase in salary! There:- positiveS, plural. It's all good.
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 14:23
Oh and FYI - I have been on every major news website today and not even a mention of Dubai winning the Expo?????? But wont it be talked about more than the Summer Olympics ;-)[/quote LOL. But of course it still justifies increasing rents by 50%, no? After all, it is the Expo!!!
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 14:18
Oh and FYI - I have been on every major news website today and not even a mention of Dubai winning the Expo?????? But wont it be talked about more than the Summer Olympics ;-)
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 14:09
Oh and FYI - I have been on every major news website today and not even a mention of Dubai winning the Expo??????
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 14:04
Hopefully it will mean that Dubai has 7 years to stamp out the illicit activities and large foreign deposits that feed it's "overly buoyant" real estate market and put proper legislation in place to regulate markets edited by derien on 28/11/2013 <em>edited by derien on 28/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 13:54
I agree to both sides - there will definitely be positives and negatives What were the positives again? Sanddy_Dogg being able to break free from being chained to her mortgage and holidays? :D Oh, yes. The 20dhs increase in salary!
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 13:40
It means packing up my things & prepare to leave UAE. I am an entrepreneur & already told by local sponsor that his fee is going to be double. Am sure rents are gonna go higher as well & when it comes to clients they would have less spending power so less income means I would be able to make survival only. and its NOT worth it. I see Dubai in 2020 as a city for corporate companies and not the small businesses. DEWA prices are already entitled to increase in 2014. I dont know what is to celebrate in winning expo for people like us and I am NOT AT ALL whining. Its just the calculations which are obvious when everybody can foresee it. and YEA, BTW grocery prices are anyway up already. I dont mind people celebrating it but Ladies we have right to moan as well. To each his own. This place is anyway not a place for middle class/ Not any more. Welcome to expo 2020 BYE BYE to UAE.
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 13:10
Hopefully it will mean that things like this will happen less and more common sense will prevail. http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-2514765/American-arrested-Dubai-mocking-youth-culture-video-Arab-gangstas.html
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 12:29
My DH's wrote this on his FB last night which made me giggle " #Expo2020 : 20% increase in rents, 20 extra minutes stuck in traffic per trip, 20 new Salik gates, 20 Dhs increase in your salary What I really don't get is why were schools given the day off yet I see labourers out working? Surely they should have been given the day off instead, as they are part of building this Dubai. I also hope they see a wage increase, especially if landlords are increasing their rents already ( which is disgraceful). I also hope there will be more part-time jobs available for people like me who want to stay at home with kids but help contribute financially to help with the future hikes in rents!!!
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 12:07
I lived in Brisbane when they had the Expo 1988. The area was transformed into a great parkland next to the river. My family purchased a season ticket so we went about once a week and looked thru all the pavilions. the atmosphere was fantastic as it had a street parade and fireworks each night .
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 12:05
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy! whether we are labourers or white collar workers - we will all need to relocate based on the initial rush of rents... so he might need to consider moving to sharjah and I might need to move out to Remraam or something further! hopefully once rents stabilize we will be able to move back to where we initially were... all a matter of time... just bear with the country and it's crazy landlords for a year or two... Problem is - everyone relocating to further out means the roads become even more congested. Those who commute from Sports City / JVC / JVT will already know that Hessa St is now unbearable in the mornings due to all those communities gradually filling up. It is gridlocked all the way til Al Khail and further. sadly when they were building all these outer communities, they did not bear in mind the additional traffic which all funnels into 2 lanes for a long stretch! The arteries leading into Dubai from MBZ road - ie Hessa St, Umm Suqeim (awful), Al Ain road, are all just horribly congested each morning, far more so than 6 months ago. The Marina / JBR is a write off due to the tramway. I'm not denying they aren't building new roads (Umm Suqeim, JLT) but we should all bear in mind the impact of moving out of the city for cheaper rents if you need to add an extra 30 mins commuting when Hessa St was finished it was fantastic for a couple of days! Off peak it's still a great run to Sufouh. The RTA might dig out the old metro proposals. There were plans for a blue and purple line but they were shelved after 2008- think the Blue line was to run along the then Emirates Rd. Just read that the purple line will be up and running for Expo as it will take people to the site
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 12:00
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy! whether we are labourers or white collar workers - we will all need to relocate based on the initial rush of rents... so he might need to consider moving to sharjah and I might need to move out to Remraam or something further! hopefully once rents stabilize we will be able to move back to where we initially were... all a matter of time... just bear with the country and it's crazy landlords for a year or two... Problem is - everyone relocating to further out means the roads become even more congested. Those who commute from Sports City / JVC / JVT will already know that Hessa St is now unbearable in the mornings due to all those communities gradually filling up. It is gridlocked all the way til Al Khail and further. sadly when they were building all these outer communities, they did not bear in mind the additional traffic which all funnels into 2 lanes for a long stretch! The arteries leading into Dubai from MBZ road - ie Hessa St, Umm Suqeim (awful), Al Ain road, are all just horribly congested each morning, far more so than 6 months ago. The Marina / JBR is a write off due to the tramway. I'm not denying they aren't building new roads (Umm Suqeim, JLT) but we should all bear in mind the impact of moving out of the city for cheaper rents if you need to add an extra 30 mins commuting when Hessa St was finished it was fantastic for a couple of days! Off peak it's still a great run to Sufouh. The RTA might dig out the old metro proposals. There were plans for a blue and purple line but they were shelved after 2008- think the Blue line was to run along the then Emirates Rd.
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 11:59
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy! Why not refer the poor guy to one of our Rera/Rent committee experts? This would be a cause worth supporting. Because he is probably sharing with too many....so he has no leg to stand on,
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 11:57
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy! Why not refer the poor guy to one of our Rera/Rent committee experts? This would be a cause worth supporting.
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 11:20
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy! whether we are labourers or white collar workers - we will all need to relocate based on the initial rush of rents... so he might need to consider moving to sharjah and I might need to move out to Remraam or something further! hopefully once rents stabilize we will be able to move back to where we initially were... all a matter of time... just bear with the country and it's crazy landlords for a year or two...
Latest post on 28 November 2013 - 11:11
I was really happy about Dubai winning the Expo until just now - i just spoke to a guy on my way to work who lives in a labour camp in Al Quoz. His landlord came in this morning and said room rent has gone up (as of next month) from AED2,100 per month to AED 3,000. Crazy!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY