Why a certain British Airline is better than a certain local one | ExpatWoman.com

Why a certain British Airline is better than a certain local one

Latest post on 29 November 2013 - 14:04

A little while ago there was a thread here about a certain British airline. Well I am going to tell you why this airline is better. No their staff are not all young and attractive, no they don't serve amazing food but they do have some consideration for ill health and elderly people.

1. In September I was due to fly with a British airline. I was sick and my doctor advised me I could not fly. I was concerned and therefore contacted the airline as my flight was a miles reward booking and their website were not showing any more availability for months! Not a problem they said. Send us the doctor letter and once you are fit to fly sent us another letter to that effect and we will put you on the next available flight regardless of the fare type. I actually ended up having to change the flight twice, both times I was assisted by a very helpful person who spoke perfect English.

Will the other local airline do this. Not a chance.

2. My grandmother is 89 years old and flying shortly with this local airline. Now BA will move seats around to ensure you is seated in an accessible seat with access tot he toilet. In fact BA hold two rows of accessible seats until the last 48 hours for such instances.

The local airline just advised us they were seating my 89 year old frail grandmother in row 12 of 21 and told her it was near a toilet. The toilets are at each end of the row. Seats 6 and 21 are near toilets, 12 hmm sounds like almost in the middle? Now they want to seat her separately from my mother, her carer. Again does this sound like a good plan.

3. Almost forgot this one. Dealing with the British UK call centre is a blessing. They don't cut you off, if they say they are going to call you back at a certain time they do, if they say they are going to call you on a certain day, they do and if they can't get through they try again until they can. I tried both the UAE and British numbers for this local airline, got cut off three times before being put through to the most uncooperative and unhelpful person on the planet who I could barely understand (this was the UK number).

So which airline is best? Well as with a great many things, the local airline is perhaps glossy on the outside, but scratch the surface...
<em>edited by RuthM on 29/11/2013</em>

Latest post on 04 December 2013 - 07:23
Flydiver, good point about the number of rows, I didn't notice that part. In the case it's the A380, you would definitely be better to try for a seat in row 22 or after. Closer to the lavs, and of the 4 at the aft, one is specifically larger and with hand rails for the elderly/less mobile. And as mentioned, she can sit on the sofa while she waits or if it gets bumpy. Actually on the newer A380s the business class seats are designed for customers using wheelchairs- a mechanism allows the side of the seat to be removed enabling an easier transfer. Again, this is more for the ones needing a seat-to-seat transfer from a wheelchair and won't make much difference to someone able to walk, even if slowly. Agree, the E/F seats can be difficult to get into for those who find it hard to move very well (though this too seems to have improved with the newer cabin design) Could be any number of reasons to have separated the two, like FD says mums with infants may be prebooked in those seats or it could be an issue of having to choose between separating adults and separating parents and kids. Best thing to do is to be early to check in as many of these issues can be resolved by the staff as the earlier you go the more options they have. Once they;ve allocated the seats it does get a bit harder to change things around (though in cases like this the crew would do all they can to help- it can get chaotic esp on full flights when some people refuse to change or everyone is travelling with kids)
Latest post on 04 December 2013 - 06:05
I like Emirates. I am scared to death by flying but do it every summer...Flew lots of different airlines but cabin crew on Emirates (and on one occasion on Lufthansa) are just the best. Last summer I had to fly alone with my 5 year old and the staff were amazing. I was close to tears at check in and they kept talking to me the whole time...On the plane they kept coming to me and explained every little movement and noise and when we hit mild turbulence they made sure someone was always by my side,talking me through without letting my son notice. It meant the world to me and I know they are more expensive but I will gladly pay that for the service!!!
Latest post on 04 December 2013 - 04:49
Going by the seat numbers, she's on the airbus 380, which actually has 25 rows, not 21. In business class there is only an aisle seat every second row, so this is 4th row from the front with aisle access. There are no specific disabled access seats in business on the 380 aircraft. Therefore there are only 12 out of 76 customers closer to the toilet than her, 4 of those seats are designed for mothers with infants, so perhaps that was the closest they could get her to the front. Keeping in mind that my last UK flight had 23 customers that required wheelchair assistance. The problem for her is that there is only one toilet at the front on the right hand side, so she'll want a G or K seat. There are 4 at the back where she could also sit comfortably in the lounge and enjoy a cup of tea and a chat if she is so inclined, however that would mean an initial long walk when she boards and then again when she disembarks. The reason they would sit her separately from her carer is that the only seats that fall together (E & F every second row) can be a bit difficult to get out if due to the seat design and configuration. All aisle seats are separate single seats. I would like to highlight that whilst I agree that EK staff are young in comparison to the UK carriers, this will happen with all expat airlines. You've probably noticed that Dubai generally has a younger age demographic as a city compared to say London. Due to the maternity laws, busier flying rosters and being away from home and therefore family, expat airlines will consistently find it difficult to maintain experienced staff. That said, I have witnessed birth, deaths and hundreds of medical cases on board, and I am always amazed at how the crew assist complete strangers with compassion and care.
Latest post on 04 December 2013 - 01:56
Ruth M, you do have the option to use the online check in, whether there will be a suitable seat or not I am not sure. Thing is, not all seats are "access friendly" and it can vary wildly from aircraft type to type... You could also try checking back every day, since many business travellers change flights a few days out and at short notice. You might be able to get a new seat if you can jump on it quickly (ditto for checking in early- they can shuffle a latecomer for her usually) In Business class as far as I am aware there are not many 'disabled' seats as such for less mobile people- they are more for those using wheelchairs who need to transfer from chair to plane seat so this may be why they've been given to others. Can I ask if you have booked a meet and assist service for your mother? If she is brought to the plane in a chair and off again, it will be much easier to get the seat sorted as they kind of go hand in hand. In the worst case you can try onboard for the crew to get her to switch seats (much easier in business as many people travel alone and don't mind) I always try to get an able person to move to allow a less mobile elderly person to sit by the bathrooms if they need to be close (not all do) It might help if you know what kind of plane she'll be flying on (it will be on the itinerary) Then check SeatGuru.com which shows where the "accessible" seats are... All the best, let me know if you have any question...
Latest post on 01 December 2013 - 10:53
Ruth, we've found that when we bring problems to the attention of Emirates customer service they will try to rectify them and sometimes offer compensation with Airmiles. It always amazed me when my kids were young that the bassinet row could be given to adults without kids while there were many parents with children on the flight. The airline surely has the bookings which mentions infants so these bassinet rows should be assigned automatically to them.
Latest post on 01 December 2013 - 08:50
BA sat my two accompanied children next to a man (seat of 3) which was apparently against their policy to do so. Complaints resulted in HO advising me that the policy had changed three months prior allowing this and crew had not been informed of said change. Never again will I fly with BA. Qatar are even worse!! I far prefer Virgin or EK - I've never had a problem with either (and at least EK fly to LGW and the only ones) <em>edited by Eleanorah on 01/12/2013</em>
Latest post on 01 December 2013 - 08:01
My husband had a horrendous flight with BA when the aircon packed up - sat on the runway for an age while they tried to fix it - after take off the crew kept assuring him it would cool down shortly but it took the first 4 hours of the flight...We know things like this happen but it was the crew's couldn't care less attitude that was the worst part...We have always only used this airline as an absolute last resort - we love Emirates. We had the same trouble on Emirates this summer. Sat on the runway in the heat, no air. Thought I would die.
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 22:49
Ruth i would go to DNATA visit the EK section and speak with them directly about this, it is well know that anyone who takes a disabled seat can be moved by staff should the seat be required, like bassinate seats. How ironic the call was a problem UK side........... Ha ha yes we called the UK line after being cut off three times in the UAE. That said ironically the UAE office did speak better English just were incapable of pressing call transfer buttons on their phone. I will try the DNATA office. This is turning out to be an enormous ordeal. Never Emirates, ever again sorry.
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 22:47
Ruth i would go to DNATA visit the EK section and speak with them directly about this, it is well know that anyone who takes a disabled seat can be moved by staff should the seat be required, like bassinate seats. How ironic the call was a problem UK side...........
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 22:41
A little while ago there was a thread here about a certain British airline. Well I am going to tell you why this airline is better. No their staff are not all young and attractive, no they don't serve amazing food but they do have some consideration for ill health and elderly people. 1. In September I was due to fly with a British airline. I was sick and my doctor advised me I could not fly. I was concerned and therefore contacted the airline as my flight was a miles reward booking and their website were not showing any more availability for months! Not a problem they said. Send us the doctor letter and once you are fit to fly sent us another letter to that effect and we will put you on the next available flight regardless of the fare type. I actually ended up having to change the flight twice, both times I was assisted by a very helpful person who spoke perfect English. Will the other local airline do this. Not a chance. 2. My grandmother is 89 years old and flying shortly with this local airline. Now BA will move seats around to ensure you is seated in an accessible seat with access tot he toilet. In fact BA hold two rows of accessible seats until the last 48 hours for such instances. The local airline just advised us they were seating my 89 year old frail grandmother in row 12 of 21 and told her it was near a toilet. The toilets are at each end of the row. Seats 6 and 21 are near toilets, 12 hmm sounds like almost in the middle? Now they want to seat her separately from my mother, her carer. Again does this sound like a good plan. 3. Almost forgot this one. Dealing with the British UK call centre is a blessing. They don't cut you off, if they say they are going to call you back at a certain time they do, if they say they are going to call you on a certain day, they do and if they can't get through they try again until they can. I tried both the UAE and British numbers for this local airline, got cut off three times before being put through to the most uncooperative and unhelpful person on the planet who I could barely understand (this was the UK number). So which airline is best? Well as with a great many things, the local airline is perhaps glossy on the outside, but scratch the surface... edited by RuthM on 29/11/2013 You've got to be kidding. With Ek you can pre allocate your seat choice, very very simple process. If you want more room pay for business. Just how close do you need to a toilet? Disabled seats are available, did you book one of these or ask for one of these? A short stroll, ie 10 yards to a toilet is surely not a big problem for anyone fit enough to fly? Sounds as if you were unlucky re the telephone call, but as all calls are recorded all you have to do is write in and site it in your complaint. I would personally never fly with the other airline you think is so wonderful based on far more issues than you mention, give me EK anyday. She is in Business. Because we had to change the flight at the last minute due to her being ill all the disabled seats are booked there are barely any seats left on her new flight. Due to Emirates letting anyone passenger book into them she can't get in a disabled seat. BA are clever enough to block a few rows of disabled seats to ensure they are available if someone needs them. And then Emirates won't bump a perfectly able passenger to a not disabled seat when an ACTUAL disabled person needs one, something BA will also do. She is 89 walking 10 rows of seats on a moving aircraft to use the bathroom is not ideal. Not to mention the difficulty that was changing the flight in the first place. Oh and when my mother asked to speak to the person's manager regarding the seat change the badly spoken call centre assistant HUNG UP ON HER! How is that for service?! Emirates need to deal with their call centre, broken English (in their UK centre) cut off three times then hung up on! BA called me back the one time I got cut off (and it was because my phone went flat). And if they needed to check something they would call me back then too, even at a specified time and day of my choosing.
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 22:10
My husband had a horrendous flight with BA when the aircon packed up - sat on the runway for an age while they tried to fix it - after take off the crew kept assuring him it would cool down shortly but it took the first 4 hours of the flight...We know things like this happen but it was the crew's couldn't care less attitude that was the worst part...We have always only used this airline as an absolute last resort - we love Emirates.
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 15:49
A little while ago there was a thread here about a certain British airline. Well I am going to tell you why this airline is better. No their staff are not all young and attractive, no they don't serve amazing food but they do have some consideration for ill health and elderly people. 1. In September I was due to fly with a British airline. I was sick and my doctor advised me I could not fly. I was concerned and therefore contacted the airline as my flight was a miles reward booking and their website were not showing any more availability for months! Not a problem they said. Send us the doctor letter and once you are fit to fly sent us another letter to that effect and we will put you on the next available flight regardless of the fare type. I actually ended up having to change the flight twice, both times I was assisted by a very helpful person who spoke perfect English. Will the other local airline do this. Not a chance. 2. My grandmother is 89 years old and flying shortly with this local airline. Now BA will move seats around to ensure you is seated in an accessible seat with access tot he toilet. In fact BA hold two rows of accessible seats until the last 48 hours for such instances. The local airline just advised us they were seating my 89 year old frail grandmother in row 12 of 21 and told her it was near a toilet. The toilets are at each end of the row. Seats 6 and 21 are near toilets, 12 hmm sounds like almost in the middle? Now they want to seat her separately from my mother, her carer. Again does this sound like a good plan. 3. Almost forgot this one. Dealing with the British UK call centre is a blessing. They don't cut you off, if they say they are going to call you back at a certain time they do, if they say they are going to call you on a certain day, they do and if they can't get through they try again until they can. I tried both the UAE and British numbers for this local airline, got cut off three times before being put through to the most uncooperative and unhelpful person on the planet who I could barely understand (this was the UK number). So which airline is best? Well as with a great many things, the local airline is perhaps glossy on the outside, but scratch the surface... edited by RuthM on 29/11/2013 You've got to be kidding. With Ek you can pre allocate your seat choice, very very simple process. If you want more room pay for business. Just how close do you need to a toilet? Disabled seats are available, did you book one of these or ask for one of these? A short stroll, ie 10 yards to a toilet is surely not a big problem for anyone fit enough to fly? Sounds as if you were unlucky re the telephone call, but as all calls are recorded all you have to do is write in and site it in your complaint. I would personally never fly with the other airline you think is so wonderful based on far more issues than you mention, give me EK anyday.
Latest post on 30 November 2013 - 12:31
Airline choice here is no better than in major cities anywhere in the world. And as expats, we get badly ripped off here on ticket prices. Why should DXB&gt;UK&gt;DXB be so much more expensive than UK&gt;DXB&gt;UK?
Latest post on 29 November 2013 - 22:40
Regardless of which airline is better than the other, we are all spoilt for choice here in UAE. Just fly any US airline and you will understand what the words 'rip off' and 'terrible service' means. At least we dont have to pay for a pillow or headset. Inflight entertainment is expected,not an extra that you sometimes get. We dont pay to check-in suitcases and get charged per pound in addition to our ticket prices (we only pay for excess luggage). We do not have to pay extra for inflight meals and drinks. We even get nice refreshing towels before take-off and menus. Toys for kids etc. List goes on and I will never ever complain again. Lol!
Latest post on 29 November 2013 - 18:01
While I can't fault the local carrier!I must agree that the UK carrier was fantastic when I last flew home to bury my Mom. I was as sick as a hound outbound and honestly cc constantly checking up on me.When they found out the reason for my trip one lady in particular actually sat down next to me to chat. Inbound I was inconsolable carrying the world on my shoulders and they kindly changed my seat to make sure I had access to the washroom ( when my nerves get the better of me I tend to throw up constantly yuk...) I did write to their customer service dept to commend the service but sadly never got a reply. RuthM hope you can get this sorted,ground staff my be more sympathetic at check on. <em>edited by Nomad on 29/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 29 November 2013 - 17:28
I am happy to read this since I booked my mother to come over here soon on that certain British airline. I felt really bad about not being able to book her on the local one, but now I feel less bad about my decision.
Latest post on 29 November 2013 - 15:59
This sounds exactly like all businesses here in UAE. DS took over 3 months to get money returned from an illegal transaction on his bank A/C. He spoke to so many people whereas in OZ it takes about a week to get it done! In saying that another DS booked a flight to Montreal thru a website but flew part way EK. We'll he wanted to come home early and the phone person was VERY helpful in changing his flight.Cost was very minimal. Read in 7 days last week about a man booking EK to UK so he could take his golf clubs and extra luggage. On return flight was Qantas flight and they wanted to charge him extra 1000dhs for clubs and over 23 kg luggage. He eventually changed to EK got his clubs and luggage for 500 dhs! So yes we do get frustrated with people speaking English as a 2 nd language but hang in there as Iam sure we can't speak their language or as many as they speak! Yes I only speak English !

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY