completely desperate in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

completely desperate in Dubai

Latest post on 05 December 2013 - 09:41

I have postponing to write this post since a few months but I need some help so here it goes. My husband and me have been living in Dubai for the last 7 years and from those 7 years we had it fine, he was working his own company with ups and downs and so was I. When my son was born, he was quite sick and I became a stay at home mom without help. I stayed home for a little over a year and once he was healthy enough to go to nursery I started looking for a regular job. Running the company I had was a 20 hour a day job (which I loved before) but I just did not have the energy and time to do that now with a small baby. I found a job and was working till the hours starting to get more and more crazy. I left home at 8am and came home 9pm and barely saw my son. After a few months of this and no understanding of my bosses for my situation I quit. My husband was working on a project with a new start-up he had with 4 other guys, so we decided I would join his team and help them out as their budgets for hiring qualified staff were quite low. I agreed to work for a third of the salary I was getting previously because 1) i wanted to help the guys and 2) I thought it would give me flexibility to spend more time with my son. I fell pregnant soon after that, which was a miracle as I was pronounced infertile not that long ago so we were extremely happy. The project my husband (and his partners) was working on didn't do well and lets just say he lost all our money. ALL OF IT! While I was working there I kept warning him, kept telling him not to trust certain individuals (2 of his partners) and he kept telling me I was negative, regretted me being part of the team as now I saw what was really happening. From a professional perspective I tried to steer marketing and PR in a certain way but the 5 partners changed course every single day and couldn't agree on anything. They preferred to fight over things then to outsource a decision to a professional with experience on the matter. They fought so much a lot of the staff actually left. Budgets kept being tight as they didn't succeed in pulling in a sponsor for their project and as a matter of fact I never received one dirham for all the months I was working there. Back to the point of this post. My husband lost ALL of our money, even the money we were saving for a house, he "invested" it all after his biggest sponsor backed out last minute. He took all our money without me knowing it. This happened in april, by then I was 5 months pregnant. When the project stopped I had been working for them for several months for free PLUS my husband lost all our money. I tried and tried to find another job but when I showed up looking pregnant as I did it was impossible to land a job. My husband had made so many debts in his personal name and had bounced checks so this meant the little money I still had I was paying off his suppliers to keep him out of jail. He actually landed in jail on several accounts and by then I was almost 9 months pregnant. I gave birth 3 months ago and our financial situation has not improved. We didn't even have money to register our baby's birth or process a passport for her till last week. Meanwhile, I have been looking for a job again and I get rejected constantly, under or over qualified I have no clue. What I do know is I would do ANYTHING to try and save our situation and make it all better, even if I have to work an admin job. Going back home is barely an option as husband and me come from 2 different countries and we never build up a nest in any of these countries. We were saving to buy a house in my country and he spent everything so that means there is no way of returning now. My parents are very old and my dad is disabled so I can't just go there and try to build up my life with 2 noisy little kids running around while I look for houses and try to get my stuff in order. My relationship wasn't very good to start with but now its completely down the drain, I can't forgive him for putting his family in such danger, for not listening to me when I warned him and for not being able to get himself back on track now. He is pushing me to work while he knows I am looking very hard but I don't seem to find anything right now. Meanwhile trying to put up a smiling face for the kids, having to lend money from my friends to be able to pay the rent, I am about to fall into millions of little pieces.
<em>edited by KenzaB on 05/12/2013</em>

Latest post on 19 December 2013 - 10:01
I just got home from my interview, was a very long one, pretty relaxed in a coffee shop. They have made me an offer, the salary is a long shot of what I was making before but as I told my husband SOMETHING is always better than NOTHING at this point. 1 down and 2 more interviews to go. Thanks for all the positive vibes, I was thinking of you girls while I was waiting today. Desert Rose, sorry must have misunderstood, my brain is not working at full capacity lately with all the sleepless nights and the vino wasn't helping. Dear Kenza, This is my first message in Expatwoman and first thread I started reading! As seeing "Completely desperate in Dubai" made me feel there is someone out there who feels like me! I have been in Dubai for less than a year now, with my husband. we are also from different countries. I have not been able to find a job here (although have not tried much in fact), so i feel desperate and depressed some times. As I read your posts here, I came to know how stupid I am to feel desperate! and how weak I am ... There is someone like you out there, Soooo strong out of my imagination ... I wonder how one can go through all these problems and still keep going on! You are amazing Kenza, my best wishes and prayers are with you. I am desperately waiting here to hear you get a good job and read your updates as you solve all problems one by one
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 20:16
YAY! Good for you KenzaB - thank you for sharing your excellent news :)
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 19:36
So pleased for you. you sound much more 'level headed' now, and have been able to come up with your own plan. I hope that you are able to avoid leaving in a hurry.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 18:30
Yay that's amazing news! I am sure everything is going to work out for you. You and hub might even come out even stronger :)
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 18:00
Congratulations on getting an offer!!!! Way to go girl!!!!
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 17:47
You must be pretty amazing to go into an interview and perform well enough to get a job offer on the spot considering the amount of stress you are under and how much wss riding on the outcome. I hope your luck has changed:-)
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 16:01
I just got home from my interview, was a very long one, pretty relaxed in a coffee shop. They have made me an offer, the salary is a long shot of what I was making before but as I told my husband SOMETHING is always better than NOTHING at this point. 1 down and 2 more interviews to go. Thanks for all the positive vibes, I was thinking of you girls while I was waiting today. Desert Rose, sorry must have misunderstood, my brain is not working at full capacity lately with all the sleepless nights and the vino wasn't helping. Congratulations xxxx
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 15:56
I just got home from my interview, was a very long one, pretty relaxed in a coffee shop. They have made me an offer, the salary is a long shot of what I was making before but as I told my husband SOMETHING is always better than NOTHING at this point. 1 down and 2 more interviews to go. Thanks for all the positive vibes, I was thinking of you girls while I was waiting today. Desert Rose, sorry must have misunderstood, my brain is not working at full capacity lately with all the sleepless nights and the vino wasn't helping.
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 13:46
Hey Kenza I was not watching this thread and so didn't realise it's you who advised me on preg n babies forum. Hats off to you for being so strong. I really hope your interview goes well. Best of luck!
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 13:31
Dolley, I don't have the reference to hand it was just something I read in passing and remembered. There's lots of anecdotal evidence (always something to be wary of, I know) from doctors and nurses who work in ICUs about patients, who had prayers said for them, making recoveries that can't be medically explained.
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 12:55
Think KenzaB must be at the interview. Rooting for you to get through. You have a fighting spirit, I would have been bawling in me mums apron by now. Let's all send her positive thoughts. They've shown that prayers from a distance for patients in critical health can lead to recovery. A Rancher, I'd be curious to read the science about prayers because this article from the NY Times suggests that prayers lead to more post-operative complications, presumably because prayer raised expectations that weren't met by science. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 12:06
Think KenzaB must be at the interview. Rooting for you to get through. You have a fighting spirit, I would have been bawling in me mums apron by now. Let's all send her positive thoughts. They've shown that prayers from a distance for patients in critical health can lead to recovery.
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 11:58
Think KenzaB must be at the interview. Rooting for you to get through. You have a fighting spirit, I would have been bawling in me mums apron by now.
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 11:49
KenzaB, hope your interviews go well today. You deserve it. I have followed this thread and I have nothing but deep respect for you. Great attitude, strength of mind. You will be fine.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 10:08
Excellent work on landing 3 interviews Kenza. I too had 3 interviews but I will update my progress on my own thread.I just logged here to congratulate you. And also really happy for you keeping your family together. xxx Have an interview at 12 today, trying to focus all my positive energy because I don't want to come across as negative or desperate. I have been reading this thread for a bit now and I think you are an amazing and strong woman. I hope both you and your hub find a job so you can start fresh. Wishing you all the best :)
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 09:52
Kenza, good luck with the interviews. But who mentioned a cheating in their replies to you? I certainly didnt and thought I had made it quite clear just what I was referring to - others understood and were able to expand on it even on another thread where one lady got my meaning in a nutshell. But then she has been around the middle east for years and has also seen a lot. I hope this is clear to you now. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 18/12/2013</em>
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 09:50
Well done on getting the interviews and best of luck today. Before I got one of the best jobs I ever had, I had a terrible interview for a job I didn't get. But the questions and experience really helped me prepare and land that next job. I hope it goes well but try to see it as great prep for the next 2,
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 09:20
Excellent work on landing 3 interviews Kenza. I too had 3 interviews but I will update my progress on my own thread.I just logged here to congratulate you. And also really happy for you keeping your family together. xxx Have an interview at 12 today, trying to focus all my positive energy because I don't want to come across as negative or desperate.
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 09:10
Excellent work on landing 3 interviews Kenza. I too had 3 interviews but I will update my progress on my own thread.I just logged here to congratulate you. And also really happy for you keeping your family together. xxx
Latest post on 18 December 2013 - 08:23
Hello ladies, thanks for all the good advice. I have been very busy with sending out CV'S and have secured 3 job interviews this week. I really appreciate all the advice and yes returning back to Belgium is my goal but to do that I need money so I am giving it one last shot to try and work as much and as hard as I can so I don't go back empty handed. If I go out , then at least with all guns blazing I guess. Our car is for sale now. During all this, I have realised more then ever that I want our family to stay together. For the ladies who made little assumption of why my husband likes Dubai, I do know a lot of men who cheat on their wives. I don't think mine has the time or the energy to even look at another woman. In the 7 years we have lived here I can still count the times he went out by himself on 1 hand. Besides, usually that sort of woman would not go for an older broke married man with 2 children. (oh the irony) He has had an interview as well, so depending on how that goes we will know better what to do and how quick to do it. Meanwhile I just want to work as much as I can and hopefully we won't have to leave in such a hurry after all. Thanks TDB and A rancher, Doubting Thomas.. for your concern, Redrec Tangle I read your post as well. It makes a lot of sense and this is exactly what I told my husband we should do. I know it is hard to understand for people with family support back home that we have no place to go or no family to lend us money but that is just the situation we have. I have much better friends here then back home. Feefmick I would love to get in touch and have a chat about this. I have read each single post and it really touches me to feel the support of you ladies. The ladies that are angry at my husband, the ladies that tell me that my husband is feeling bad, the ones that tell me to run and the ones that tell me to stay and fight. I cry reading your posts and I laugh at your naughty remarks. THank you!
Latest post on 17 December 2013 - 22:37
Something I wanted to say but couldn't get my thoughts straight, but even now its still all a bit hazy. Sometimes people can be in a situation and see no way out because they have a prisoner mentality. Its like when people have been kidnapped and they know the kidnapper is no longer around but they are still scared to break out of their predicament and run. I think Im saying people get stuck in a mindset and it dictates how they view a situation, it prevents them from looking at other options. I know what I mean if no one else does. :) Lol! edited by DesertRose1958 on 17/12/2013
Latest post on 17 December 2013 - 10:46
Something I wanted to say but couldn't get my thoughts straight, but even now its still all a bit hazy. Sometimes people can be in a situation and see no way out because they have a prisoner mentality. Its like when people have been kidnapped and they know the kidnapper is no longer around but they are still scared to break out of their predicament and run. I think Im saying people get stuck in a mindset and it dictates how they view a situation, it prevents them from looking at other options. I know what I mean if no one else does. :) <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 17/12/2013</em>
Latest post on 17 December 2013 - 10:42
If they haven't issued a cheque there's not a lot the landlord can do make them sign a new lease and pay for next year if they leave the property. If they stay on and don't pay he can have them evicted. With rents going up, the ll may be glad to get the property back & relet it at a higher rent. Actually, looking at the law, if they stay past their contract end date the contract is automatically renewed at the same terms. So, they will owe one years rent. Even if the LL then gets them evicted, they will still owe him money. I am sure the LL would be very happy to be paid twice for his property. And, if you delay him in getting another tenant by forcing him to go through an eviction process, what are the odds he doesn't demand imprisonment? Reference Dubai Law No. 26 of 2007, Article (6)
Latest post on 17 December 2013 - 06:51
Amy, that's a really good point. There's a lot of literature about the importance of how we frame things and how that can affect our state of mind. It is true (but often hard to accept) that it's not what happens to us that's important, it's how we frame what happens to us. For a great take on this have a look at Rory Sutherland's TED talk "Perspective is Everything"
Latest post on 16 December 2013 - 23:45
Kenza hasn't posted since yesterday afternoon and I don't think there's been anything helpful on this thread since well before then.. By now she must realise what she has to do and I wish her and her family the very best...She is a real person and this situation is actually happening - it's not a novel up for discussion at the book club or the latest plot twist in your favourite soap..sometimes I feel the comments on here just make posters feel even more desolate and throw up new anxieties they hadn't even considered before... I was in bed but felt I had to come back to reply to your post. You're right, and I for one am sorry for the way I said what I felt needed to be said in my second post. I'm not sorry for what I said but for sure I could have said it in a better manner. Its interesting Pink Lily feels people have chosen their words carefully, I know I did, but not in the in the sense required. I stand by my thoughts on the very sad goings on but wish I had replied in a different manner. DR from one of the ' ME Oldies' ;) I found your posts to the point backed by experiences you have seen happen.The tone of your posts are always practical and helpful. I too have seen it over and over again. In the past I don't seem to remember the debt issues being as aggressively pursued as happens today, but times change. As I mentioned before ,the OP has been given sound and relevant advice,hopefully she will weigh it all up and make the right choice for her children,herself and once that is sorted decide what to do about her marriage. QED
Latest post on 16 December 2013 - 23:45
KenzaB I hope you read this because its something that happened to people I know. My DH has two friends whose situations were similar to yours. Friend A (a colleague actually) was just not earning enough to float, and decided to send his family home, while he worked in Dubai and moved to a one bed. Being extremely close to his children, this was hard on him. He found another, well paid job some time later, but DIDN'T call his family back. He saved, bought a house in his country with his savings, had enough left over to rent a family size apartment in a new neighborhood in Dubai and they were then reunited. His wife had by then done up their new home as a base for holidays. It was hard in between but hearing how well they are doing today makes me very happy for them. They take trips around Dubai, the kids are attending a better school than the one they were in before, and are really enjoying their life now. The second person, a friend to DH, just wouldn't see the writing on the wall and due to bad financial decisions, lost everything but refused to move back, as 'what would my family back home say/think' (completely stupid logic). After a few months of bounced rent cheques, he was jailed and had to ask his wife (who had two little children at home to look after with no money) to set about finding bail money from his friends, the same friends who warned him months ago to sell and move back home. I know the task ahead is frightening, but you are stronger than you think, we all are. This doesn't have to be the end of Dubai life for you, just a break in the interim.
Latest post on 16 December 2013 - 23:37
Kenza hasn't posted since yesterday afternoon and I don't think there's been anything helpful on this thread since well before then.. By now she must realise what she has to do and I wish her and her family the very best...She is a real person and this situation is actually happening - it's not a novel up for discussion at the book club or the latest plot twist in your favourite soap..sometimes I feel the comments on here just make posters feel even more desolate and throw up new anxieties they hadn't even considered before... I was in bed but felt I had to come back to reply to your post. You're right, and I for one am sorry for the way I said what I felt needed to be said in my second post. I'm not sorry for what I said but for sure I could have said it in a better manner. Its interesting Pink Lily feels people have chosen their words carefully, I know I did, but not in the in the sense required. I stand by my thoughts on the very sad goings on but wish I had replied in a different manner. DR from one of the ' ME Oldies' ;) I found your posts to the point backed by experiences you have seen happen.The tone of your posts are always practical and helpful. I too have seen it over and over again. In the past I don't seem to remember the debt issues being as aggressively pursued as happens today, but times change. As I mentioned before ,the OP has been given sound and relevant advice,hopefully she will weigh it all up and make the right choice for her children,herself and once that is sorted decide what to do about her marriage.
Latest post on 16 December 2013 - 23:09
Kenza hasn't posted since yesterday afternoon and I don't think there's been anything helpful on this thread since well before then.. By now she must realise what she has to do and I wish her and her family the very best...She is a real person and this situation is actually happening - it's not a novel up for discussion at the book club or the latest plot twist in your favourite soap..sometimes I feel the comments on here just make posters feel even more desolate and throw up new anxieties they hadn't even considered before... I was in bed but felt I had to come back to reply to your post. You're right, and I for one am sorry for the way I said what I felt needed to be said in my second post. I'm not sorry for what I said but for sure I could have said it in a better manner. Its interesting Pink Lily feels people have chosen their words carefully, I know I did, but not in the in the sense required. I stand by my thoughts on the very sad goings on but wish I had replied in a different manner.
Latest post on 16 December 2013 - 23:01
On the contrary Doubting Thomas, I feel that all posters on this thread have chosen their words carefully and considerately. Just because Kenza has not posted recently, doesn't mean that she is not still reading the entries. She has been given the practical advice that she asked for, and any questions asked were asked for clarification. just my opinion, I think some posters enjoy discussing these situations as if they're not happening to real people...
Latest post on 16 December 2013 - 22:52
On the contrary Doubting Thomas, I feel that all posters on this thread have chosen their words carefully and considerately. Just because Kenza has not posted recently, doesn't mean that she is not still reading the entries. She has been given the practical advice that she asked for, and any questions asked were asked for clarification.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY