Need help with schooling in USA after being in British system for 10 years | ExpatWoman.com

Need help with schooling in USA after being in British system for 10 years

Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 15:03

Hi

My husband has been asked to open an office in the states. He can decide where it is but for various reasons we think New Jersey or Washington DC are the best places to be based (most of his clients are based in these areas). We've discussed the move with our 16 year old who is quite keen for a new adventure but I will only go if we can sort schooling. In the British system she will finish her IGCSE's in June here in Dubai. She then planned on taking A levels rather than the IB diploma. Having checked out International schools in USA they all follow the IB system which she has categorically told me she will not do! Could she enter the US schooling system in year 12 and complete just one year before Uni? Should she go into the US system and redo year 11, then year 12? Is there anything in the US system like A levels? I really could do with some advice. It's not helped by the fact that each state has it's own curriculum. Do you know of any british schools in those areas that do A levels?

I have done several searches on here and used Google but having never been in the US schooling system I need some quick answers so that my husband can make some decisions.

If it's felt she could enter the US system I then need to find good schools, either private or public, in a decent area close to an airport! But one thing at a time.

Thanks

Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 01:48
Hi YOLO, AP courses aren't really a "program" in the same way that IB is. The U.S. high school (secondary school) system generally works this way: all students take some core classes (e.g., English, Math, science of some type, etc, etc) combined with elective classes (e.g., foreign language). So, over the course of your high school education, you'll progress (using math as an example), based on your academic capability through algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and whatever mindbending options there are above calculus :) AP classes are the most advanced option for your subject class. You can choose an AP option for your English, math, history, science, foreign language, etc. [In the old (very old) days, we only took 1 or 2 AP classes. These days, students often take multiple AP level courses because competition is so high.'> Depending on the score you get on the AP exam towards the end of the year, you then earn a prorated number of points/credit toward your undergraduate college/university course requirements in that subject area. Rather than the GCSE/A-levels, high school seniors take the ACT or SAT exams (this is a choice; if you don't intend to go on to college/university, you can simply graduate with your final subject grades and grade point average). The score they obtain on the ACT or SAT exam is counted heavily (along with their high school GPA, extracurricular activities, college application essay, and possibly community service) towards each university's acceptance decision. This is a pretty simplified explanation, and it's based on my experience in high school and college yonks ago. Though I worked with high schoolers for years and years after that, so it should still be mostly accurate. <em>edited by Jamuseire on 31/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 September 2014 - 12:57
Hi YOLO, interesting points you raise! I am in the education field if you ever want to ask any more questions about the AP process (I have a US-academic background). Of course, this is if you have decided to settle in the US. Cheers and good luck!
Latest post on 09 December 2013 - 20:51
I've not had much time today to surf the net looking for more answers to my questions. I have no doubt that she'll get a good education in the US, I'm just concerned about converting her final 2 years of schooling into something a UK university will accept. I'm emailing her current school careers/uni admissions person tomorrow to see what advise/comments she has. DH has told his employers that he needs to be there for 2 years (for DD education) but beyond that we don't know if we'd still be there for her to attend university. It's an exciting time for us but could be made easier if DD was interested in IB, unfortunately she will not even consider it (her older sister has just completed the IB diploma so we know all about it), so we either need to find a British School which still does A levels or place her in a US school and she completes the AP program. Having checked the ucas site I think she'll need to take 4 or 5 courses. Is that possible? Are AP exams at the end of the 2 years or tested throughout the 2 years. Will all the kids on the AP program start in grade 11? So many questions but thanks to all the replies.! Dolley, you can come in my suitcase and help me navigate another relocation. And yes if we do make a decision SoCali I'll let you know because we are looking around that area. Good Luck with your move.
Latest post on 09 December 2013 - 09:49
We are moving to the DC area next month. We are moving to the city of Falls Church in Virginia. We picked this area as it has small schools (compared to the others in the area) and the high school was just named as one of the top 100 high schools in the United States. Sorry I can't help with the differences between schools even though my husband is British but our boys ages 9 and 13 have always been in the IB curriculum and will continue with it so it makes an easy transition. Let me know if you do decide to move to the area, it would be great to know someone else new :-)
Latest post on 09 December 2013 - 09:45
You can take as many AP courses as you want/can manage. I had friends that almost exclusively took AP classes (this was many years ago!) AP courses, I believe, count both for high school credit and university. I wouldn't consider boarding school as the US has lots of great educational options. In Virginia/DC area, there are many diplomats' children and it's a lot like Dubai in that respect. (Which is why I like both places!) Your daughter will settle in just fine as a junior particularly if she does outside activities, joins clubs, etc. Super jealous, I'd go with you in a minute!
Latest post on 09 December 2013 - 09:19
You can take AP classes in many different subject areas. And many colleges and universities accept them as credit for the college course so when students get to college, they don't have to take that class again but still get the credit for taking it. Works out really well for students to finish a little earlier and saves on tuition. Many high schools offer partnerships with local community colleges and 4 year colleges that help students interested in certain careers. My girlfriend's son wants to be in the medical field and as a junior he applied and was accepted into the local community college medical program. So for his Junior and Senior year in the morning he went to his high school for class and then in the afternoon a bus took all the students in this program to the college and they attended medical classes there in the afternoon. It was a lot of work but it was a fantastic opportunity for him to earn college courses in the area he wanted to be in AND it was all paid for by the local school district so my girlfriend had to spend less money on his university tuition. There are so many programs like that in the states for the students that really want to succeed and are good students.
Latest post on 09 December 2013 - 08:19
Hi Thanks for the replies. Lots to think about. I had a look at the link you sent me MD, really interesting and a definite possibility. I'm getting DH to check out taxes, but otherwise schools and housing both look good. D77, I've checked the UCAS website and from 2008 they will now convert AP exams to ucas points. We want her to go to High School rather than college as it's important for her to be with kids her own age. Unfortunately Boarding School is not really an option for our family, DH would rather give up the opportunity than send her home to boarding school (although once I have all the information he may change his mind). I still have a few questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with. If a school offers AP courses and exams, is this in addition to a High School Diploma or instead of a High School Diploma? How many AP subjects can be taken? I've not found the answers on the school websites. Perhaps someone can suggest some other links? Does anyone have an opinion on how much of a struggle it will be for her to jump into the US schooling system? It's easy to make friends here and fit in because its so transient, I'm concerned that she'll struggle with friendship groups if they have all been at the school since year 9, and probably well before that, any comments? I've tried to find an 'expat woman' forum in DC but theres nothing as informative as this (that I can find). Thanks
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 20:30
Hi My parents moved to America when I was 16, I had just finished my GCSE's (I got 11, 9 were A-B grades, I was at a boarding school so could have stayed). My parents didn't know much about schools! I went to our local high school in Florida, got good grades (2years), however when i started i was classesd as behind as i hadn't done subjects like pe for each year (i played on the hockey team it just never went on my report), american history and several other subjects. Then went to community college and got an Associate Degree (2 years). I then applied to a university to do the last two years of university to get a full bachelors. The guidance counselor explained I could of applied to community college or university with my gcse results. Things then took a different turn and my parents moved back to the UK. I applied to united to do a 3 year degree and was told I had to go back and do a levels as my time in the USA had left me with nothing that was good eough-equivalent to A levels! I am now 36 but just look at all options for your child. community college is much like a local college, were you could go to do A levels in England, so its not moving away to university but it could get your child to finish their university deree earlier! If she's planning on university in England then boarding school (I wish I had stayed there and not gone to America) <em>edited by Danielle77 on 08/12/2013</em>
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 19:47
There is the British School of Washington but when I looked at their website it seems they only offer IBs for the last two years of high school (following the IGCSE). You may want to talk directly with the school about the IB versus A-levels and if they give students the option to sit A-level exams. It's interesting that the British School offers the IB following the IGCSE. No American high school will offer A-levels. I have read that many British universities now favor the IB exams over the A-levels as they're seen as more rigorous. You may also want to explore this option. There are American students who go on to study in the UK and they generally take the IB exams which are recognized by the British universities.
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 15:58
First of all, the US system is much, much more flexible than the British system. There are no such things as A-levels. You enter the grade which is appropriate for her age. The US system counts a year back from the British, so my 9 year old is in year 4 (UK) but would be in grade 3 (US). If she is 16, she'd likely enter as a junior in high school, have two years in high school and then graduate. Or enter as a senior and do one year before university. Your best bet for good - free - schools is Virginia, near Washington DC. Vienna, Herndon and Alexandria all have top rated high schools within an easy commute to DC. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/virginia In the US, it generally works that the high school is attached to the neighborhood, so when finding a house, make sure you are in a good district. Alternatively, there are brilliant private international schools within easy reach of DC. The only trouble with DC/Virginia or New Jersey is that the taxes are higher.