Any suggestions to help 3yr with v.bad throat | ExpatWoman.com

Any suggestions to help 3yr with v.bad throat

Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 15:34

Hi Ladies,

My 3year old daughter has a very bad throat...her voice is very hoarse and she is coughing a little
I went to the pharmacist and he gave me a spray, but after I got home and read the back its a spray to leave on the throat for 15secs and spit out. I think she is swallowing it all the time...so not sure how effective this is.

Has anyone any other little suggestions on what else I could give her.... really dont want to be giving her anti-biotics all the time and I think if I bring to doc this is what will happen.

I myself has taken honey and cinnamon but i dont know if this is recommended for a 3year old...

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 21:42
Reiterating what Nomad has said, please do get your child to a qualified doctor and checked out properly. Antibiotics are not bad and can save lives, this obsession for avoiding them in the modern privileged world risks lives totally unnecessarily; ironic when you think of all the children in the world who die each and every day because they can not access something as simple as an antibiotic! In your own words you state your child has a [u'>very bad throat[/u'>, imagine just how painful that is for your child? Take your child to a doctor who will make the decision as to what treatment should be given.
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 19:56
corinnad please take your LO to the doctor. Last week in Calgary a little boy died from what was considered a sore throat but in fact was a very serious case of strep throat.......his mom was treating him with alternative medication. I am all for a natural approach but with the super bugs that prevail today it is not always wise. Better to be safe than sorry.
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 18:58
It does sound as though she needs to be seen by your GP. In the meantime, to sooth her throat, honey taken off a spoon is very effective, but should be the thick sort, not 'runny'.
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 16:29
It is suggested not to swallow but I have to say that my last time I gave some to my DS he swallowed it. I do not think it is harmful : it doesn't make sense to come up with a medicine that you have to spray in your kid's throat and ask them to spit it when you know that most younger kids are bound to swallow (a bit like when you first teach your kids to brush their teeth). The only other option would be the old remedy: warm milk and honey ? I am sorry I do not know any other option: I have to say it is very difficult to find over-the-counter medicine for children here.
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 16:19
I was told that different strains of throat infections require the right type of meds that work in specific ways. Not sure a pharmacist is the best person to decide. Why don't you see a doctor who can inspect her throat/take a throat swab and then ask him to just medicate without antibiotics for now? If he feels it really needs a course, then ask for a prescription, but don't fill it at the pharmacy, wait and see if the throat improves with just the cough meds/syrup/spray. You can always give it to her later if there is no improvement. If she can hold a gargle (sorry I cant remember when mine was old enough to do this) they feel instantly better with mildly warm water-salt gargles.
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 15:56
Hi Corinnad, I use Chloraseptic Spray for sore throat: it is for children aged 3 and up. It comes in 3 flavors: Cherry, Orange and Grapes. You can find it in most pharmacies. It is quite effective, but if the sore throat last maybe you will need to take her to the doc. Hope she will feel better very soon! Hi Flowerhead....is this one that you spray onto throat and the child is supposed to leave it there for 15secs then spit out? Thanks
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 15:53
Hi Corinnad, I use Chloraseptic Spray for sore throat: it is for children aged 3 and up. It comes in 3 flavors: Cherry, Orange and Grapes. You can find it in most pharmacies. It is quite effective, but if the sore throat last maybe you will need to take her to the doc. Hope she will feel better very soon!
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 15:52
maybe go see a Paediatrician Yes I will take her if it gets any worse but I was hoping to not have to do this as I am sure they will just write me a prescription for an anti-biotic.. Any natural remedies that may help??
Latest post on 08 December 2013 - 15:36
maybe go see a Paediatrician

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY