Be warned | ExpatWoman.com

Be warned

Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 18:11

take note the police are setting up road blocks from the 23rd with the express aim of targeting festive drinkers. They are specifically mentioning "British". Remember there is zero tolerance for drink. If you are caught you will spend a few nights in custody, face some hefty fines and be deported!! Quite apart from the safety factor of risking other peoples lives, these penalties are simply not worth the risk. I believe the British Embassy has also issued warnings! Please share and keep our friends out of trouble this Christmas.

Latest post on 27 December 2013 - 11:15
So Cushion, we don't have to worry so it is OK to drink and drive then? It's scaremongering? Let us know where you and your friends will be celebrating this festive season so the rest of us can give you a wide berth. The two people I know personally were both Brits (one had only had 1 beer 3 hours previous to his unrelated accident - a tire blew and his car rolled, he woke up handcuffed to his hospital bed before he Hope our luck holds with idjits who think it is an urban myth they will be arrested jailed and deported. Want to hear my colleague's problems with being arrested for adultery? He was also a Brit. Excuse me but where exactly did I say it was ok to drink and drive? The same post appeared on Facebook why spread it here? And I agree, just because it's the festive season shouldn't make a difference, never drink and drive any time of year.
Latest post on 26 December 2013 - 14:35
Why is nationality so important to this? This is Dubai. Nationality and the colour of your skin matters. Just read the jobs section of any newspaper here. Its a sad fact but very true.
Latest post on 26 December 2013 - 14:32
So Cushion, we don't have to worry so it is OK to drink and drive then? It's scaremongering? Let us know where you and your friends will be celebrating this festive season so the rest of us can give you a wide berth. The two people I know personally were both Brits (one had only had 1 beer 3 hours previous to his unrelated accident - a tire blew and his car rolled, he woke up handcuffed to his hospital bed before he was transferred to jail). Hope our luck holds with idjits who think it is an urban myth they will be arrested jailed and deported. [b'>Want to hear my colleague's problems with being arrested for adultery[/b'>? He was also a Brit. go on - it's a very quiet day here.... Yes, please tell us...
Latest post on 26 December 2013 - 14:00
Why is nationality so important to this?
Latest post on 25 December 2013 - 13:57
So Cushion, we don't have to worry so it is OK to drink and drive then? It's scaremongering? Let us know where you and your friends will be celebrating this festive season so the rest of us can give you a wide berth. The two people I know personally were both Brits (one had only had 1 beer 3 hours previous to his unrelated accident - a tire blew and his car rolled, he woke up handcuffed to his hospital bed before he was transferred to jail). Hope our luck holds with idjits who think it is an urban myth they will be arrested jailed and deported. [b'>Want to hear my colleague's problems with being arrested for adultery[/b'>? He was also a Brit. go on - it's a very quiet day here....
Latest post on 25 December 2013 - 13:55
So Cushion, we don't have to worry so it is OK to drink and drive then? It's scaremongering? Let us know where you and your friends will be celebrating this festive season so the rest of us can give you a wide berth. The two people I know personally were both Brits (one had only had 1 beer 3 hours previous to his unrelated accident - a tire blew and his car rolled, he woke up handcuffed to his hospital bed before he was transferred to jail). Hope our luck holds with idjits who think it is an urban myth they will be arrested jailed and deported. Want to hear my colleague's problems with being arrested for adultery? He was also a Brit.
Latest post on 25 December 2013 - 01:29
One can only hope DT......
Latest post on 25 December 2013 - 01:19
take note the police are setting up road blocks from the 23rd with the express aim of targeting festive drinkers. They are specifically mentioning "British". Remember there is zero tolerance for drink. If you are caught you will spend a few nights in custody, face some hefty fines and be deported!! Quite apart from the safety factor of risking other peoples lives, these penalties are simply not worth the risk. I believe the British Embassy has also issued warnings! Please share and keep our friends out of trouble this Christmas. Yeah yeah yeah exact same post on face book urban myth scaremongering the usual exaggeration please give it a rest and happy safe secure Christmas to everyone But it got us all talking and hopefully has given some [b'>food for thought[/b'>......;) Sadly I doubt the people who need it will be reading this forum...
Latest post on 25 December 2013 - 00:08
take note the police are setting up road blocks from the 23rd with the express aim of targeting festive drinkers. They are specifically mentioning "British". Remember there is zero tolerance for drink. If you are caught you will spend a few nights in custody, face some hefty fines and be deported!! Quite apart from the safety factor of risking other peoples lives, these penalties are simply not worth the risk. I believe the British Embassy has also issued warnings! Please share and keep our friends out of trouble this Christmas. Yeah yeah yeah exact same post on face book urban myth scaremongering the usual exaggeration please give it a rest and happy safe secure Christmas to everyone But it got us all talking and hopefully has given some food for thought......;)
Latest post on 25 December 2013 - 00:06
Nobody should EVER get behind the wheel after drinking. 1 Or 2 or 10 doesn't matter. Not anywhere in any country at any time. As simple as that. Post of the year !!!!!
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 23:57
take note the police are setting up road blocks from the 23rd with the express aim of targeting festive drinkers. They are specifically mentioning "British". Remember there is zero tolerance for drink. If you are caught you will spend a few nights in custody, face some hefty fines and be deported!! Quite apart from the safety factor of risking other peoples lives, these penalties are simply not worth the risk. I believe the British Embassy has also issued warnings! Please share and keep our friends out of trouble this Christmas. Yeah yeah yeah exact same post on face book urban myth scaremongering the usual exaggeration please give it a rest and happy safe secure Christmas to everyone
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 23:55
Nobody should EVER get behind the wheel after drinking. 1 Or 2 or 10 doesn't matter. Not anywhere in any country at any time. As simple as that. **like**
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 23:08
Nobody should EVER get behind the wheel after drinking. 1 Or 2 or 10 doesn't matter. Not anywhere in any country at any time. As simple as that.
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 21:58
No excuse ever but especially in this country where taxis are cheap and abundant along with the availability of safe driver. Happy and Safe Christmas to you all :)
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 21:52
Well, people have been deported for drinking and no accidents, and Brits too. There will always be scaremonger's out there, but in this case I don't think that it is a bad thing. Of course they are increasing their monitoring now as always, but I don't care, to me it is evil.
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 20:59
It may be an urban myth but I've seen it posted many times that it is against the law to warn of police roadblocks or speed traps etc... Drinking and driving is moronic..thankfully none of our friends do it...
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 20:35
Sorry Sakhifa, I know two people directly who have been convicted, jailed and deported. They were actually involved in single car accidents (with only injuries to themselves) so maybe that makes a "difference"?????? Good, they deserve it. Unfortunately, not all who have committed these selfish crimes have had to pay the price. Unfortunately very true......the guy who killed my brother got away with a slap on the wrist......his licence wasn't even endorsed...... He wasn't responsible for his actions ,a smart lawyer dug up the fact that as a child he had a fall on his head and was treated for head trauma.
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 20:18
Sorry Sakhifa, I know two people directly who have been convicted, jailed and deported. They were actually involved in single car accidents (with only injuries to themselves) so maybe that makes a "difference"?????? Good, they deserve it. Unfortunately, not all who have committed these selfish crimes have had to pay the price.
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 20:16
If we are real friends, take their keys. If they refuse to turn them over, tell them you will dob them in and do it. They are a danger to themselves, their passengers and everyone else's loved ones on the road. They deserve no sympathy - I do this with my friends, and have lost a few "friends" as a result. No great loss. But someone else's family or family member is probably unknowingly alive as a result. I do this year round here and in my home country. Before we get all the but but buts. There is no but - it is criminally irresponsible to drive after having even one here especially when everyone knows the consequences. From one such family member......Thank You marycatherine .... not only did a drunk driver take my brother but in effect my Mother gave up on life after his death. In many cases today people are tweeting the check stop locations and enabling these prospective murderers to get away with it. Please don't just warn people , STOP them from getting into the vehicle at all. Wishing all the lovely ladies on EW a safe and Blessed Christmas.
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 19:39
Sorry Sakhifa, I know two people directly who have been convicted, jailed and deported. They were actually involved in single car accidents (with only injuries to themselves) so maybe that makes a "difference"?????? Sorry Take the keys, or report them, otherwise you are just as guilty if you knowingly let them get behind the wheel.
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 19:25
Fair point. Just don't drink and drive. That said, you won't get deported unless you're in an accident. Points, big fine, a few nights in jail, sure, but the rules have relaxed somewhat in the past few years. The chief of police, only recently, said they're not after casual drinkers, only those who endanger lives when in an accident. Unless you actually kill someone drunk driving, then you'll just get a month in jail and a measly fine. (see recent news.) In any case, don't drink and drive, regardless of the circumstances. It's just stupid and selfish.
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 18:40
If we are real friends, take their keys. If they refuse to turn them over, tell them you will dob them in and do it. They are a danger to themselves, their passengers and everyone else's loved ones on the road. They deserve no sympathy - I do this with my friends, and have lost a few "friends" as a result. No great loss. But someone else's family or family member is probably unknowingly alive as a result. I do this year round here and in my home country. Before we get all the but but buts. There is no but - it is criminally irresponsible to drive after having even one here especially when everyone knows the consequences.
Latest post on 24 December 2013 - 18:39
Fair point. Just don't drink and drive. That said, you won't get deported unless you're in an accident. Points, big fine, a few nights in jail, sure, but the rules have relaxed somewhat in the past few years. The chief of police, only recently, said they're not after casual drinkers, only those who endanger lives when in an accident.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY