Dubai proves it's organisation skills again... | ExpatWoman.com

Dubai proves it's organisation skills again...

Latest post on 31 December 2013 - 20:48

Palm Access is restricted to pass holders only tonight. So... Are there any signs? No. Do they create a dedicated queuing lane for pass holders? Nope. Instead they create a two hour traffic queue of cars predominately made up of those without passes who don't realise they need a pass to get on. Then 30mins before the Palm closes altogether they simply give up and just let everyone on anyway...

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 03 January 2014 - 13:47
Don't hold your breath that article is dated Aug 2012 ? ETA: yep here you go, thought I had seen it somewhere http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-18273-ibn-battuta-mall-to-get-link-to-metro-station/ edited by carolsinger on 02/01/2014 I doubt a 2 minute walking distance from a metro station to a mall is a priority. The situation at Ibn Batuta mall was just an example of the lack of integration between existing facilities and the metro. It's only a short walk but you have crowds of people crossing the road each time a carriage stops at the station, really not ideal. I have lived in Discovery Gardens for 2 years and have never seen big crowds crossing the streets and it being unsafe. There are plenty of buses running to DG to get everyone home. There is plenty of space for people to walk to the mall. I think this thread has reached a point where things that are not an issue are being made an issue.
Latest post on 03 January 2014 - 13:39
Oh...the Metro was running all night ! But was it better/smarter to take the Metro? I decided last minute to take the Metro to a friend's party, since my fiance had to work. At Union so many people squeezed into the train that I was very scared ! At every station more people came in, until finally the guys standing closest to the door were yelling "no more" or whatever. I was sooo scared to be squashed to death !!! Nevermind being super grinded by some guy behind me ! LOL People who wanted to exit the Metro couldn't ! LOL I took the first chance to get out, which was Business Bay, one stop after burj Khalifa. Fireworks were ok...BUT HOW TO GET HOME??? At Business Bay there were masses of people surrounding the station-you could not even get in... I love to walk and slowly headed towards Dubai Mall Metro..same "riot-like" situation there....I just kept walking and it was the same at every Metro station. Jaffalia was ok-ish but still crowded and I feared getting squashed again. I mean even though you were able to get into the station-who knows how full the trains were....finally the Karama station was quiet. I walked home 10 kilometers :) Nice NY workout ! BTW a lot of people were walking....I only saw a few drunk people who were really really freaked out. Drunk, in high heels and in need to pee ! hahaha... No Taxis either...LOL
Latest post on 03 January 2014 - 09:26
Don't hold your breath that article is dated Aug 2012 ? ETA: yep here you go, thought I had seen it somewhere http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-18273-ibn-battuta-mall-to-get-link-to-metro-station/ edited by carolsinger on 02/01/2014 I doubt a 2 minute walking distance from a metro station to a mall is a priority. The situation at Ibn Batuta mall was just an example of the lack of integration between existing facilities and the metro. It's only a short walk but you have crowds of people crossing the road each time a carriage stops at the station, really not ideal.
Latest post on 03 January 2014 - 00:39
I heard that they are making bridges from the main Palm road onto the fronds. I assume they will do the same in other places.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 03 January 2014 - 00:35
Don't hold your breath that article is dated Aug 2012 ? The blue line will run to Al Maktoum airport. There's a real need for feeder buses with proper bus/metro interchanges as well as more light rail lines. The situation at Ibn Battuta station shows the need for greater connectivity between the metro and existing facilities. [b'>How much would it cost to build a bridge from the metro station to Ibn Battuta mall?[/b'> I thought this was in the pipeline? ETA: yep here you go, thought I had seen it somewhere http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-18273-ibn-battuta-mall-to-get-link-to-metro-station/ edited by carolsinger on 02/01/2014 I doubt a 2 minute walking distance from a metro station to a mall is a priority.
Latest post on 03 January 2014 - 00:19
Maybe Admin should heed their own rules and delete this thread.
Latest post on 03 January 2014 - 00:10
such a shame this has such fallout on Sandance and that so many people had such a time-wasting, sad and even scary experience amid the traffic/bus issues. I've been involved in Royal visits etc and taskforces are set with multi party agreements (police, security,Govt reps, Govt agencies etc etc) strategies and clearly defined and adhered to rollouts...this was all a classic case of the Dubai left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing; last minute decisions being made and not well communicated/actioned and no clear strategies to combat all potential issues. Yes Dubai has grown from a village to a big city before our eyes (but not without its issues neatly hidden away from international eyes for many years. Just deal with high-level Government here and then tell me how organised they are in strategic thinking and clear lines of communication? Sadly not. Lived here decades so entitled to an opinion perhaps moreso than someone who arrived 6 months back). Expo2020 - eyes rolling at what might come of that but here's hoping they live and learn. How are you more entitled to an opinion ? lol Expo will be fab :D
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 19:25
Haha Dally I won't hold anything, but it's possible this may be on the cards before Expo2020 begins. Ibn Battuta is in Jebel Ali and the nearest mall to the Expo, so one would think that the pedestrian link would be up and running before then :)
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 19:18
Don't hold your breath that article is dated Aug 2012 ? The blue line will run to Al Maktoum airport. There's a real need for feeder buses with proper bus/metro interchanges as well as more light rail lines. The situation at Ibn Battuta station shows the need for greater connectivity between the metro and existing facilities. [b'>How much would it cost to build a bridge from the metro station to Ibn Battuta mall?[/b'> I thought this was in the pipeline? ETA: yep here you go, thought I had seen it somewhere http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-18273-ibn-battuta-mall-to-get-link-to-metro-station/ edited by carolsinger on 02/01/2014
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 18:32
I hope so but things like that should have been incorporated into the original design.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 18:28
The blue line will run to Al Maktoum airport. There's a real need for feeder buses with proper bus/metro interchanges as well as more light rail lines. The situation at Ibn Battuta station shows the need for greater connectivity between the metro and existing facilities. [b'>How much would it cost to build a bridge from the metro station to Ibn Battuta mall?[/b'> I thought this was in the pipeline? ETA: yep here you go, thought I had seen it somewhere http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-18273-ibn-battuta-mall-to-get-link-to-metro-station/ <em>edited by carolsinger on 02/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 18:27
The blue line will run to Al Maktoum airport. There's a real need for feeder buses with proper bus/metro interchanges as well as more light rail lines. The situation at Ibn Battuta station shows the need for greater connectivity between the metro and existing facilities. How much would it cost to build a bridge from the metro station to Ibn Battuta mall?
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 17:49
Can I just ask on top of all this. If Dubai is building all they plan to for Expo and it's not going to impact on the main downtown areas. How are they going to cope with all the extra traffic this will bring? Has anyone heard if the Metro line will be extended to cover some of this? The original metro plans had a purple line coming out to Arabian Ranches !! No idea if it ever will though...
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 17:41
Can I just ask on top of all this. If Dubai is building all they plan to for Expo and it's not going to impact on the main downtown areas. How are they going to cope with all the extra traffic this will bring? Has anyone heard if the Metro line will be extended to cover some of this?
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 17:19
How does it work in countries where people don't live next to the metro stations yet use the tube etc to commute almost everywhere to the point where it's the primary mode of transport, wonder why it's not like that here? Usually those cities have much more extensive public transport networks, with the actual suburban communities having developed *around* things like railway stations when they were built (in some cases) over a hundred years ago. The Dubai Metro, on the other hand, is effectively a straight line along the SZR and it barely intersects with any communities at all. In the specific case of the UK and the obvious example - central London - public transport is a necessity for most employees, because most companies do not provide parking space for anybody but senior management and public parking is prohibitively expensive. Plus, commuters into central London typically live well outside the area where they work, easily up to 40-50 miles away, and it's not unknown for people to commute in from 100 miles away. Fast and reasonably reliable rail links make rail travel a much more attractive option than sitting in a car for hours every day and then paying enormous daily parking rates (as much as 250 AED a day in some areas). And then there's the climate... it's one thing to wrap up against cold or wet weather, it's something else to have to deal with Dubai-style summer temperatures, especially when wearing business clothes. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 02/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 17:08
How does it work in countries where people don't live next to the metro stations yet use the tube etc to commute almost everywhere to the point where it's the primary mode of transport, wonder why it's not like that here? Lack of buses from outlying places, maybe to Metro stations. Also when DH tried using the Metro to go to work, he had similar issues, as there were many more going in the opposite direction (towards Jebel Ali) at peak times. As Madge said it can take such a lot longer to try and commute by Metro, and for most of us the working day is long enough without having to add an hour or so on to each end.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 17:00
DH once tried using the Metro to get to work. Including the bus ride to get to the station and the 15-minute walk from the station to his office, it took an hour and a half... driving takes, at worst, 25 minutes. The wait for the bus in the open air and the walking means that it would be a complete no-no in summer even if the journey time was comparable to driving.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 16:53
Some of it. Not much of it. Look at the Metro; given the actual location of the stations, unless you live right next door to a station and the place you're going to is also right next door to a station, it's still much more convenient to drive, and that goes quadruple in summer. That is one of the issues here. Majority of people drive everywhere, as you say the Metro stations are great if you live right next to them, but for others they are always a drive away and so obviously people feel that once they're in the car they might as well drive the whole way.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 16:48
Some of it. Not much of it. Look at the Metro; given the actual location of the stations, unless you live right next door to a station and the place you're going to is also right next door to a station, it's still much more convenient to drive, and that goes quadruple in summer.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 16:12
I don't think Dubai are bad at organising, I think they are bad at road planning. One road in and out of the Palm was always going to be a problem. Most major cities have great public transport, busses,trams, trains underground and over ground. Dubai does not have enough public transport therefor everyone drives. Roads and congestion are going to be a huge problem in years to come if something is not done about it. I daresay the new tram line will alleviate much of it...
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 15:16
I don't think Dubai are bad at organising, I think they are bad at road planning. One road in and out of the Palm was always going to be a problem. Most major cities have great public transport, busses,trams, trains underground and over ground. Dubai does not have enough public transport therefor everyone drives. Roads and congestion are going to be a huge problem in years to come if something is not done about it.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 13:48
You know I'm still amazed they haven't got water taxis running from the Marina over to the Palm - that would help. Clear the roads and avoid the chaos. Now that is the best thing I have heard! So true, the waterways are there, so is the transport, so why not use what is available!
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 13:43
You know I'm still amazed they haven't got water taxis running from the Marina over to the Palm - that would help. Clear the roads and avoid the chaos.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 13:32
Some of the carers went to Sandance and said it was good. They collected their tickets and boarded a bus at 7 and arrived at the venue 3 hours later, one of them says she felt a bit sick from the bus starting and stopping so much. She also said it was a bit scary when a zombie movie unfolded in front on her eyes and people came at their bus because only people on a bus could enter the venue. She's laughing about it now though. I think she also said she missed the one singer she had really wanted to see but made it for Pete Tong? whoever he is. She maintains that despite the hitches she had a great time. I think anyone who expected it all to go in a smooth and orderly fashion isn't living in the real world, and to be demanding answers, well, have fun with that one. Things happen, its life, so either trust that lessons will be learnt from it all, or don't, and just stay at home the next time there's something big going on. But then what would people have to rant about it if they did that eh? The reality is that these goings on are all very small stuff in the grand scheme of things and not really worth more than the fedupedness caused on the night. I love a good night out and would have been pretty peed off I'd been part of the shenanigans but to be carrying it with me for days - no! It is what it is - a bad night out. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 02/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 12:06
The people who really needed to be there, got there. What do you mean by this? You mean Pete Tong right CW ;) ? I heard he was stuck in traffic.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 11:18
I agree that it would have been a horrible situation to have been caught up in. Sandance has traffic and taxi problems on an ordinary weekend. Combine that with a World Record attempt and New Years Eve celebrations in a residential area which has just one access road was always going to be problematic to say the least. Add to all that, roadworks on the approach to the access road and it's a recipe for disaster no matter how hard you try to prevent it. The traffic is horrendous on Al Sufour road on a normal weeknight as it is. Setting up roadblocks further away would have alleviated some of the problems but it would have created huge pockets of congestion in other parts of the city. It's not a "Dubai" problem, it would have been the same anywhere in the world when you take all the above factors into account.
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 11:14
Just traffic mayhem? Safety and security? Really? Have you read what people actually went through on the Palm that night? It sounded like a zombie riot movie! People blocking the paths of buses and forcing themselves on, making them totally over crowded, fights, pushing shoving, many were injured. People urinating and vomiting everywhere. Reading some accounts, I'm glad I was nowhere near any of that. Yes, it sounds awful, I wouldn't go near there on NYE and I feel sorry for those caught up in it. I've just been reading about a teenage fighting for his life in Sydney after an unprovoked attack in Kings Cross on NYE. The police have been talking about the appalling behaviour of some people, it doesn't just happen here. I've been caught up in awful NYE 'celebrations' in a NZ holiday hotspot with rampaging people and bottles being hurled at police. None of this means those countries aren't capable of holding world class events. I don't mean disrespect to anyone here and I also apply it to myself but what happened is a big talking point in our small lives. It doesn't mean that Dubai can't manage anything and that it can't host a great Expo. edited by Daza on 02/01/2014 I'm sure Dubai will hold a great Expo all I was trying to say is that I hope that a few lessons have been learned from NYE. As they say "from small acorns....."
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 11:11
The people who really needed to be there, got there. What do you mean by this?
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 11:03
Just traffic mayhem? Safety and security? Really? Have you read what people actually went through on the Palm that night? It sounded like a zombie riot movie! People blocking the paths of buses and forcing themselves on, making them totally over crowded, fights, pushing shoving, many were injured. People urinating and vomiting everywhere. Reading some accounts, I'm glad I was nowhere near any of that. Yes, it sounds awful, I wouldn't go near there on NYE and I feel sorry for those caught up in it. I've just been reading about a teenage fighting for his life in Sydney after an unprovoked attack in Kings Cross on NYE. The police have been talking about the appalling behaviour of some people, it doesn't just happen here. I've been caught up in awful NYE 'celebrations' in a NZ holiday hotspot with rampaging people and bottles being hurled at police. None of this means those countries aren't capable of holding world class events. I don't mean disrespect to anyone here and I also apply it to myself but what happened is a big talking point in our small lives. It doesn't mean that Dubai can't manage anything and that it can't host a great Expo. <em>edited by Daza on 02/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 January 2014 - 10:48
Just traffic mayhem? Safety and security? Really? Have you read what people actually went through on the Palm that night? It sounded like a zombie riot movie! People blocking the paths of buses and forcing themselves on, making them totally over crowded, fights, pushing shoving, many were injured. People urinating and vomiting everywhere. Reading some accounts, I'm glad I was nowhere near any of that. The fireworks may have been a great success, but have you read some of the news articles about other places downtown regarding the behaviour of some people and the security not being able to manage them. I agree with FairyDust the Sanddance experience sounded like a really bad movie to me.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY