Muesli for toddler's breakfast | ExpatWoman.com

Muesli for toddler's breakfast

Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 21:31

I want to introduce my 2,5 y.o. to some healthy wholegrain muesli or flakes. She eats Cerelac, but i want some change for her. But as i don't like them myself i have no idea what a child might find tasty. Any ideas please?

Latest post on 11 January 2014 - 19:44
This is the recipe I used for many years when my daughter was younger, for exactly the same purpose. It was fantastic - healthy and she loved it. They love the coconut flavour. Baby / Toddler Cereal Recipe 6 tablespoons brown rice ½ cup milk (or formula) 1 cup water (for quinoa) or 1.5 cups (for rice) ½ cup coconut milk 6-8 pieces dried apricots Sprinkle of cinnamon Mixed ground seeds Put everything in an ovenproof dish and place in the oven covered with lid. Cook at 160-180 degrees for approx 1.5 hours (or 1 hour only for quinoa). Stir a few times in the first hour. When it is cooked leave it to cool for ½ hour before mixing with a wooden spoon to get the right consistency. You can also make the same recipe with quinoa, millet and bulgur wheat etc. When it was cooked I used to spoon it into ice cube trays and let it cool down, then freeze it. that way, you can just use a few cubes each day and the mixture lasts longer. Hope this helps, Good luck!!
Latest post on 11 January 2014 - 01:37
I don't think that peanut butter is that unhealthy really - I don't eat legumes now so I don't eat it but I used to (on oatcakes, with blackcurrant jam!). I think it's fine if you get the unsweetened kind. My personal concern wouldn't the fat content but more the kind of fats. Now I eat almond butter or hazelnut butter and I actually think that hazelnut butter is much tastier than peanut butter, and it has a better fat profile too - high in mono-unsaturated fat (which is more heat stable and doesn't upset your omega 6/omega3 ratio) Regarding the eggs, I don't know about toddlers but.....well I don't know how many eggs I eat a week but it has to be 15-20 - but then I'm one of these weird people who doesn't hold with the whole 'fat and cholesterol are bad for you' dogma that's been stuffed down our throats for the past 30-40 years. A lot of these so-called diet 'studies' are done on mice - which are primarily herbivorous animals with a totally different physiology and digestive system to humans. However it has to be noted that free-range or organic eggs have a much better nutritional profile (including the kinds of fats) than factory farmed. Lots of german, french, belgian (etc) people (kids and adults) eat cheese and ham at breakfast
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 22:55
My daughter either gets porridge with a tbsp of flaxseed and 2 or 3 dates to sweeten the porridge, very healthy and filling until lunch time. Or you can try avocado, banana, honey and milk smoothie if she likes milkshakes. Or scrambled eggs with spinach and tomatoes
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 22:13
Does she like eggs? Scrambled egg takes literally 30 seconds, you can just break the egg directly into the pan with a splash of milk and stir it. Boiled eggs, you can cook it the night before (or cook 4 at once). A lot better for her teeth and more sustaining than any cereal Does she like cheese, or (turkey) ham? Whole milk and a banana? I think when I was young our breakfast options were -eggs -porridge -shreddies -bran flakes -brown toast and peanut butter -whole milk -unsweetened natural yoghurt We were not allowed anything sugary (or any refined carbs) in the mornings at all except on weekends when we were allowed nutella Yes, celticcavegirl, she likes all these foods, except milk. I even tried choco milk, but not very successfully. I just read recently that kids shouldn't eat more than 4 eggs per week. I never tried peanut butter, always thought it must be unhealthy, am I wrong? And she gets a fresh croissant with nutella on fridays! <em>edited by Alemania on 10/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 22:09
Not all cereals are sweet and unhealthy, e.g. shredded wheat and wheetabix have low levels of sugar. If I started cooking porridge or semolina for breakfast every day we'd never make it to school on time! Exactly! Mornings when we go to the nursery are out of question, she's so lazy to wake up, I grab her from bed into the stroller and off we go, with a banana on the way:)
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 20:04
Does she like eggs? Scrambled egg takes literally 30 seconds, you can just break the egg directly into the pan with a splash of milk and stir it. Boiled eggs, you can cook it the night before (or cook 4 at once). A lot better for her teeth and more sustaining than any cereal Does she like cheese, or (turkey) ham? Whole milk and a banana? I think when I was young our breakfast options were -eggs -porridge -shreddies -bran flakes -brown toast and peanut butter -whole milk -unsweetened natural yoghurt We were not allowed anything sugary (or any refined carbs) in the mornings at all except on weekends when we were allowed nutella
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 19:22
Not all cereals are sweet and unhealthy, e.g. shredded wheat and wheetabix have low levels of sugar. If I started cooking porridge or semolina for breakfast every day we'd never make it to school on time!
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 17:28
I tried to cook semolina (even added jam into it) and oats (added honey) with milk, she just ate 2 spoons and that's it. She's not a morning eater, it's not worth the effort to cook. That's why I was asking to advise me something more or less healthy from a pack.
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 17:05
We're like mrsb. and I agree with her philosophy. When my kids were little, I introduced them to rolled oats (porridge) cooked with milk and for variety, added a little home-made apple puree or diced bananas or blueberries. I mixed it up and now they're very happy to have it with just water and/or milk.. If they have a long stretch before lunch, they'll top the porridge up with bananas and berries, or a little Manuka honey for variety. When they tried commercial cereals, they find them too sweet. We had exactly the same as children and I agree: commercial cereals are terribly sweet. The first time I had breakfast in a hotel, many decades ago, I made a beeline for the muesli because I thought it was probably the 'safest' compared to the coco pops etc, and it was like eating broken bits of sugar cubes. Reeee-volting. ;)
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 13:21
We're like mrsb. and I agree with her philosophy. When my kids were little, I introduced them to rolled oats (porridge) cooked with milk and for variety, added a little home-made apple puree or diced bananas or blueberries. I mixed it up and now they're very happy to have it with just water and/or milk.. If they have a long stretch before lunch, they'll top the porridge up with bananas and berries, or a little Manuka honey for variety. When they tried commercial cereals, they find them too sweet.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 12:16
Why not try cooking rolled oats (porridge) or semolina for her in the mornings. It is quick and nutritious and easy and delicious. My DD and I eat it before work and school. (DH won't eat it - camel food!!! hahaha). Commercial cereals like Kellogs etc are full of sugar, colouring etc. I would try to avoid introducing them at all. My DD has never tasted them. <em>edited by mrsb. on 10/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 January 2014 - 15:53
Kellogs do raisin bran flakes, or you could buy plain kellogs bran flakes and a big box of raisins. Thanks for the idea!
Latest post on 09 January 2014 - 15:21
Kellogs do raisin bran flakes, or you could buy plain kellogs bran flakes and a big box of raisins.
Latest post on 09 January 2014 - 15:11
If porridge is too sticky, try something like ReadyBrek instead.
Latest post on 09 January 2014 - 15:05
Raisin bran flakes are always popular in my house, or bran flakes that have mixed dried fruit in them, or plain bran flakes with fresh fruit added (raspberries, chopped bananas). I keep a bag of frozen raspberries in the freezer and just add a handful. Wheetabix also do a range of minis (I avoid the chocolate ones though!) Something with raisins would be great, my LO loves raisins! What's the brand name of these bran flakes?
Latest post on 09 January 2014 - 15:02
What about porridge, my niece loves porridge. As well as Weetabix Does she eat oat porridge? I'm asking, because I tried wheat and buckwheat and she didn't like them.
Latest post on 09 January 2014 - 10:45
What about porridge, my niece loves porridge. As well as Weetabix
Latest post on 09 January 2014 - 10:40
i give alpen sugar free muesli to my toddler. he likes the taste of it and i normally add a banana or some frozen berries to it.
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 22:55
Raisin bran flakes are always popular in my house, or bran flakes that have mixed dried fruit in them, or plain bran flakes with fresh fruit added (raspberries, chopped bananas). I keep a bag of frozen raspberries in the freezer and just add a handful. Wheetabix also do a range of minis (I avoid the chocolate ones though!)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY