Has anyone ever trained a dog out of an extreme fear of small children? Please help if you have | ExpatWoman.com

Has anyone ever trained a dog out of an extreme fear of small children? Please help if you have

Latest post on 10 January 2014 - 17:54

Hi, we are fostering this wonderful dog who is terrified of small children. We would actually like to permanently adopt him but he goes into a blind panic at the sight of small kids which would make tk impossible for us to own him. Offering food or toys won't work as he won't let any kid anywhere near him. He saw a child at the end of the street just this morning and that was that - the dog simply froze and there was nothing that would change his mind. I had to carry him home in the end. If you have any experience dealing with this issue please do share your story with me. Thank you.

Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 23:32
You did the correct thing, your children MUST always come first and you MUST never take a dog into the house who is not trustworthy with children when yours are that age, regardless of what some may say or try to persuade you. Sounds like someone should have made a decision for the dog a while back. I hope you find a kind wonderfully tempered family dog, it's worth the wait to get the right one. Now you have been through this stick to your guns and don't be tempted to take a dog because t has a sob story behind it, it must fit into you family first and foremost.
Latest post on 28 January 2014 - 11:18
if I can share experience and I am training right now one female mix saluki who has been abused (I guess) , my friend who foster her drop the dog 3 time week so she can be used to family life. the first 2 weeks the dogs was next to my main entrance door and was scared of everything (noise, maid, children, all new people) . I have my own rescued dog and she help me a lot to get out this dog (mix saluki) of her shell . my strategy for the first few days was to ignore the dog and to keep distance as anyway I could not touch her collar., she was growling.. . now she is my best friend but still lot of work as afraid of everything in the street especially gardeners. she is still afraid of children but I ask them to ignore her and to don't touch her. . but slowly and slowly I see an improvement. my son 9 years can cuddle her. with patience and love... everything is possible.. .. but I know we can not rehome her with some children. the family who will adopt her will need to be patient and to understand her issue.. . I am confident she will improve a lot.. . for your dog , you need to say to the children to ignore her until she get out of her shell.. , with time and love she will improve a lot.. , that s for sure... !!! good luck Thank you for sharing your experience - I've made mental notes for the future. My children are very young 1 and 3 yo - not quite at the age where you can tell them to be quiet and leave the dog alone (not that they bothered him but they did attempt to chase him mistaking his fear for an invitation to play). It was a vicious circle, frankly. I just pray he finds a good home because he is an angel of a dog.
Latest post on 28 January 2014 - 11:15
Sounds like the dog was probably abused by children and hence his fear. Plus many dogs don't like children because of their unpredictability. My last dog HATED children with a passion and it wasn't because anyone had done anything to her, she didn't have the patience to work out what they wanted so would rather run in the opposite direction or growl and warn them to go away. It's really sad when animals have a fear like this. Putting hm to sleep is a bit of an overreaction personally. He just needs a home with no young children. The dog did have a broken tail and a hind legs problem (chronic pain) and it wasn't clear if he suffered abuse or neglect in his previous home. I do find that in dogs a fear of children often points to a health issue. I agree - I think he just needs a home with older children and possibly another dog. And lots of tlc
Latest post on 28 January 2014 - 11:10
Savanna77 is this the same dog that needs to see an ortho? I'm sure some will come on here and tell you this issue can be sorted but personally i very much doubt it and would urge you to strongly consider giving the dog back to the rescue organization or having it put to sleep. There are loads of dogs out there who have no issues and need a home, don't burden yourself with an expensive problem dog. Hi Lolacat. Very sadly, the dog did go to another foster home. We tried everything under the moon but he just kept regressing on the kids front. The shelter decided to find a child free home for this dog. Very sad, but like you said, there are so many others needing a good home. I live in hope.
Latest post on 21 January 2014 - 13:01
if I can share experience and I am training right now one female mix saluki who has been abused (I guess) , my friend who foster her drop the dog 3 time week so she can be used to family life. the first 2 weeks the dogs was next to my main entrance door and was scared of everything (noise, maid, children, all new people) . I have my own rescued dog and she help me a lot to get out this dog (mix saluki) of her shell . my strategy for the first few days was to ignore the dog and to keep distance as anyway I could not touch her collar., she was growling.. . now she is my best friend but still lot of work as afraid of everything in the street especially gardeners. she is still afraid of children but I ask them to ignore her and to don't touch her. . but slowly and slowly I see an improvement. my son 9 years can cuddle her. with patience and love... everything is possible.. .. but I know we can not rehome her with some children. the family who will adopt her will need to be patient and to understand her issue.. . I am confident she will improve a lot.. . for your dog , you need to say to the children to ignore her until she get out of her shell.. , with time and love she will improve a lot.. , that s for sure... !!! good luck
Latest post on 12 January 2014 - 12:28
Sounds like the dog was probably abused by children and hence his fear. Plus many dogs don't like children because of their unpredictability. My last dog HATED children with a passion and it wasn't because anyone had done anything to her, she didn't have the patience to work out what they wanted so would rather run in the opposite direction or growl and warn them to go away. It's really sad when animals have a fear like this. Putting hm to sleep is a bit of an overreaction personally. He just needs a home with no young children.
Latest post on 12 January 2014 - 10:16
Savanna77 is this the same dog that needs to see an ortho? I'm sure some will come on here and tell you this issue can be sorted but personally i very much doubt it and would urge you to strongly consider giving the dog back to the rescue organization or having it put to sleep. There are loads of dogs out there who have no issues and need a home, don't burden yourself with an expensive problem dog.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY