Left feeling angry, stupid, and humiliated. | ExpatWoman.com

Left feeling angry, stupid, and humiliated.

Latest post on 12 January 2014 - 22:12

I went to the cinema with one of my girls today. We went to see Frozen. The place was empty and we were two of no more than 25 to 30 people. We were in the centre seats of the back row with 2 lots of two people at each end. A family arrived late and sat right beside us, mum, dad, granny, and young child, and almost as soon as they'd sat down the questions from the wee one started and the loud running commentary from the mum about what was going on on the screen began. We thought things would settle down but it didn't and after about 10 mins of it we decided to move seats. We did it without any hullabaloo and when the mother showed her displeasure at being disturbed I said we are only moving hecause you keep on talking.

We took the first available empty seats beside another family and thought no more about moving. This family also had a wee one with them and he was asking questions that the parents answered but it was done very differently and wasn't a problem.

At the end of the movie I was looking at the credits and heard a voice say to me are you the woman who moved, I turned and there was the mum standing in the row behind me in full battle mode. I told her I was and she said what did you say on the way past. ...so I repeated it and thats when all **** broke loose. She just started on us verbally and even if we had been able to think of replies to her we could never have got a word in edge wise during this tirade. We were told we were creeps for being at a children's movie without kids, that if we wanted silence during a movie we should turn a room at home into a private cinema room. That her son was 4 and she had every right to explain a movie to him and that she pitied any children related to me. It was a classic example of I don't give a monkies about others as my ( more than likely perfect first born) child comes first. My daughter was dumbstruck and just stood there because some of her pupils were standing 2 more rows behind with their parents watching the goings on, snd I wad helplesd because this flu virus has left me a bit of a wreck and quite tearful.

Anyway I tried to say pls calm down or something and thats when she said you are racists. You picked on us because you're racists. By this time however the cinema was empty and I was quite afraid and I said to my girl lets go, and the woman them said, yes go, you old hag. By this time we were o the way out and 3 cinema blokes were listening.

Anyway we got to the foyer and my daughter was fuming do I said to her ho to the car, her pupils were standing near by, and I said in a very loud voice - im calling the police, you are a disgrace and out of order. She tried to face me up and I told her you wont come out of this well, Im warning you. People were looking by this time and her husband appeared from the loo and was told you had better get your wife out of here, we heard the goings on. Her husband was looking as if to say oh god what has she done now. Anyway the woman kind of sashied away with this really arrogant walk and I was left shaking with rage, humiliation, hurt - you name it and I was feeling it.

The husband told her to leave and I said to him you really have to teach your wife to behave, and you should also tell her to thank god I was ill and not up to confrontation and that I had an appt to make - otherwise right now things would be very different and she'd be on the way to the police. I also said that my daughters pupils had heard everything as had their parents and they knew who was the better role model. While this was going on the woman stood at the bottom of a walk way smirking. Her husband was apologising for her behaviour and she was smirking. It was a bit much for me and that's when I said and when your teaching your wife how to behave in public you might also want to teach her how to bath and use a deo cos she has the most awful BO. It wasn't a lie and the only thing I could think of to hit back with.

Im stunned at what went on, just stunned, and Im wondering just when did people start to behave this way. As an expat Ive always had to live with the highest of standards behaviour wise, and no, its nothing to do with my husband, its just that there are ways to bbehave and behave you do. This woman had no qualms today about anything, she was a prize !#$& and her front has dismayed me.

Ive had my grandchildren to the cinema twice these holidays, the youngest is just 3, she managed to watch the very same movie and not need a running commentary. A few whispered comments yes, and a whispered reply or sshhhhh back from us. But a running commentary in a normal voice -no.

But that aside I feel I really let let myself down today, that I should have been more on the ball with this complete cow of a woman - but I wasn't. She must be killing herself laughing. My daughter is saying the right things but she is trying to console me. I don't want to rise above it ....I want her in a police station but that boat sailed at 4pm today. My daughter even got s colleague to talk to me, she's the same nationality as the woman, but even that hasn't helped. I feel ****** awful and that really is the b all and end all of it.
edited by DesertRose1958 on 12/01/2014
<em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 12/01/2014</em>

Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 13:43
The best way to deal with rude people is to ignore them and walk away. But then they never learn! How would having a slagging match in public make a rude person learn ? You never know how someone like that will react its better to keep your dignity and walk away IMO
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 13:41
I've had that "do you know who I am" thing from former patients and their relatives. I would simply smile and say. "I treat all my patients and families exactly the same, no matter who they are" My SIL is a bit of a livewire and has stamped and yelled her way through life. My DH (her brother) can't be bothered with her frequent tantrums and just sits and looks at her with a bored expression then says "better now?" which infuriates her, LOL! Hope you are feeling a bit better today DR. x
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 13:34
Sorry you had to encounter this woman DR, I would have been dumbfounded as well, she showed herself up big time, maybe she's a poster here. She'll get her just deserts in good time, karma is a b*tch. Pity you didn't cough her way. <em>edited by Alismum on 13/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 13:20
It must be something in the air as Ive had a lot of women and blokes square up to me as of late ! however, I just hold up my hand and walk off and dont let them speak. my nan always said it takes a stronger person to stay silent and thats exactly what I do. DR - good on you flower for not getting into an argument with this idiotic woman. no point. would have made matters worse
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 11:14
DR, you are always so wise and sensible and you behaved like a lady during that encounter. There's no shame in that. Some people are so rude you could never match them and that's something to be pleased about. I read a quote from President Eisenhower where he said he refused to get into the gutter with another politician. This is exactly what you did. Hope you are better soon.
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 11:13
The best way to deal with rude people is to ignore them and walk away. But then they never learn! hhmm.. don't think it's your call to teach them? When they turn violent, just whisk out your mobile phone, record it and send it to the coppers.. I think. ...
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 11:10
The best way to deal with rude people is to ignore them and walk away. But then they never learn!
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 10:42
Oh DR, I can feel your rage when I read your first post. I would be as angry as you. I hope you're feeling so much better now. Some people are simply not worth your time. xx
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 10:38
The best way to deal with rude people is to ignore them and walk away.
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 10:34
"That made me laugh. I recently heard someone say " Do you not know who I am" and the person shouted down the queue "does anyone know who this person is as they don't know who they are". The entire queue laughed and needless to say the person went very red and shuffled off " I love this!!! I will have to remember that one. Be comforted. I LIVE with a constant commentator. My dear, dear husband. Every single time we watch something together he commentates every scene. And of course a lot of the time you, as a normal intelligent human being can see what's coming. He can't help it, he tells me what's about to happen just in case I cant' figure it out for myself. I like to watch movies in silence, and let the MOVIE itself set the mood. but no, I have a running commentary. It's so, so annoying. Or if we're watching something non-fiction he'll tell me what he supposes is going to happen next all the while I'm straining my ears to hear the tv to find out what is actually going on. I tell him, "I'd rather hear it from them, if you don't mind". He's slowly learning, but he's a motor mouth :D
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 10:27
I recently heard someone say " Do you not know who I am" and the person shouted down the queue "does anyone know who this person is as they don't know who they are". The entire queue laughed and needless to say the person went very red and shuffled off Brilliant! I shall have to remember that :)
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 10:17
Wow what a hideous human being! Some people just really don't know how to behave. Explaining things to a child is fine, but there are ways and means of doing it, without being a nuisance to others. I hate sitting next to the 'commentators' and I can't count how many times I've had to say 'excuse me, but I've paid to watch the film, nt to listen to you explain every single scene'. One woman I said this to, got the right hump, go up and as she went to leave with her boyfriend who she'd been yapping away to the whole time, said to me 'you better know who you're speaking to before you say anything' - oh really? I simply replied 'who? clearly someone with bad manners, who doesn't know how to behave in public!!!''. Soon shut her up and she left. I have no tolerance for poor manners, no matter WHO they are or think they are. That made me laugh. I recently heard someone say " Do you not know who I am" and the person shouted down the queue "does anyone know who this person is as they don't know who they are". The entire queue laughed and needless to say the person went very red and shuffled off
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 09:58
Thank you ladies. Even now I cant come up with - I should have said x y or z to her because the reality is that she was expert at what she did. She was a totally relaxed harridan. A disgrace of a woman and its obviously how she goes through life. Im hardly ever at the cinema and had gone back to see it with my daughter because she said the kids will be talking about it when we go back to school this week and I want to keep up with them. We laughed when we saw half a dozen of her pupils there but thank god they won't have much to say about the rest of the goings on and certainly not that Miss got in a fight in the cinema. :D Im back in bed today and will stay here for a few more days. Im just not shaking this bug off and hope im not going to be the same as my eldest daughter who's been left with some kind of post viral fatigue and 7 weeks in is still not 100 % better. To the ladies who've also been unwell -I hope you feel better soon. It's bliddy awful isnt it? edited by DesertRose1958 on 13/01/2014 <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 13/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 09:51
I can totally relate to this. I've had a few situations lately where i have been left slack jawed by comments by colleagues and kicked myself for not being able to say anything. At the time i wholeheartedly regretted it and wished i could go back and open my mouth to respond. I am glad i didn't say what i came up with after, i know what its like to wish i had something and moved on to higher ground. I know its horrible now but it will fade. This woman sounds nasty and deserved nothing more than you walking away saying i don't have to listen to this. Hope you feel better soon and forget this mad woman. Edited to say i went to this with my hubby one morning over the hols with no kids. the only kids there were so enchanted there was no noise. Love disney!! <em>edited by mannikat on 13/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 09:51
Just take it as silly season!
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 09:36
Sorry but i am not sure why you are giving this woman so much of your time - she was a stupiud rude witch - move on. LIfe is too short to give someone like this so much power. Go get a latte and some chocolate cake and menatlly tell her to go to h3ll (why ew why??).... cos you know that if she carries on like this she is going to get toasty toes. edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 13/01/2014 Oozing empathy there Izzy lol!
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 09:12
I'm sorry this has upset you so badly DR. From your posts on here it's obvious you conduct yourself very well. This situation has everything to do with the other woman's behaviour and nothing to do with yours, you should not be feeling angry, stupid or humiliated at all. The smirk was probably do with the fact she was happy she had upset you so much. It's probably easier for her to think you are a racist than for her to realise that she is the one in the wrong. Forget about the silly cow, she's not worth your energy for one second longer.
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 09:11
Sorry but i am not sure why you are giving this woman so much of your time - she was a stupiud rude witch - move on. LIfe is too short to give someone like this so much power. Go get a latte and some chocolate cake and menatlly tell her to go to h3ll (why ew why??).... cos you know that if she carries on like this she is going to get toasty toes. <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 13/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 08:51
Desert Rose, I am sure when you are feeling better, you would not give this woman a second thought........
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 08:49
Its extremely irritating how some people pull out the racist sympathy card at any given opportunity... even if to justify their own bad conduct... heartily wish you had taken her to the police, but dont worry if she goes on this way someone soon will... ;)
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 08:14
Wow what a hideous human being! Some people just really don't know how to behave. Explaining things to a child is fine, but there are ways and means of doing it, without being a nuisance to others. I hate sitting next to the 'commentators' and I can't count how many times I've had to say 'excuse me, but I've paid to watch the film, nt to listen to you explain every single scene'. One woman I said this to, got the right hump, go up and as she went to leave with her boyfriend who she'd been yapping away to the whole time, said to me 'you better know who you're speaking to before you say anything' - oh really? I simply replied 'who? clearly someone with bad manners, who doesn't know how to behave in public!!!''. Soon shut her up and she left. I have no tolerance for poor manners, no matter WHO they are or think they are.
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 07:51
What a crazy woman ! can you just imagine the quality of life in their home, someone like that will find a fight with everyone and anyone on a daily basis. Can you imagine stewing through a whole movie about the people beside you who moved seats, she has some serious issues that woman ! nothing you could have said or done in the situation would have made any difference, so don't even think about that side of it. And there is absolutely no reason for you to feel humiliated or stupid, you just had the misfortune to come across a very insecure woman, a disgusting smelly bully ! Pulling the racist card is so lame, it's the new weapon now, frequently used by people who are utterly insecure about themselves. I think your response to the husband was spot on, hopefully he told her that you think she needs a bath, that should keep her on the boil for a while yet !
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 03:50
You poor thing! Hindsight is a wonderful thing and when you are feeling unwell and vulnerable, your reactions are dulled. It may have been better to have simply turned around and walked away but I would also understood if you had lamped her one!! That wouldn't have helped of course. She clearly has anger issues and is to be pitied along with her family who are seemingly used to her tantrums. Don't feel that you have let yourself down although I understand that feeling only too well after my stupid behaviour last week. You will feel a lot better in a few days and I for one, don't blame you one bit for saying what you did to her husband. And another thing, you didn't discredit her in front of her child, she did that all by herself. Hopefully, the silly woman is getting an ear bashing from her DH and as you said, she may do that again to someone else who just may not be as controlled as you were! xx
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 00:54
I can sympathize DR. Can't tell you how many times we went to the cinema in DXB and had to leave because of the worst behaviour imaginable.Smoking,kicking my seat talking at the top their voices on the phone, harassing us. Most times if there were other seats we would move but with the smoking I put my foot down and demanded my money back. However I have never had someone seek me out AFTER moving away from their noise. This woman was just looking for trouble ,obviously has an inflated opinion of her or her husbands importance and was throwing her weight around trying to make a meal of it throwing the racist card. Having just got over a dreadful dose of flu myself I am also so weepy and real 'mousy' at the minute. If you were your old self I am sure it would be so much easier to just shrug it off,putting it down to some having been dragged up and not raised to consider others. Don't beat yourself up, it is perfectly reasonable to expect a bit of common courtesy when you are paying to enjoy a movie. You didn't make a scene when you moved away from the noise......she chose to take things further. As others have said she will meet her match and by the way she is going it won't take too long. Hope you feel better soon.....maybe a few more days in bed will do the trick, (says she who refuses to give to go back to bed......! :) :) <em>edited by Nomad on 13/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 00:32
She was a row behind us and it made her taller and just seem bigger and scarier even tho I'm 5 foot 8. The cinema blokes were at the back. We were about 6 rows down. She couldn't see them. Her back was to them. I was looking at them standing there with their mouths hanging open. I knew they would be no help if she lamped me or my daughter one. Even when we were leaving the auditorium they did nothing except press their backs to the wall to let us past. I just feel really stupid for being struck dumb during it and for having a wobbling adams apple and chin when telling her husband what had gone on. In hindsight I can now see it as her thinking we were being racist. A bullying White british person picking on an Indian so she decided to have a go. I stood there saying racist? Racist? I was so puzzled and truly didn't get it at the time and it just added to our bewilderment. I knew we hadn't said anything except answer her question which was what did you say when you were moving. I told her, I explained to you we were moving because of the talking. She didn't mind talking but was peed off because they had to stand up and let us passed. It was dreadful. Really ugly. The whole thing. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 13/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 00:31
I'm sorry too...only the first paragraph was showing.....
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 00:28
Sorry, I assumed the family were still there. Why did you feel in safe if there were 3 cinema blokes there listening? Could you not have perhaps asked them to get the security if you felt threatened? I agree... karma will find her. So again I'd say... put it behind you. Life is too short to stress yourself over other peoples ignorance.
Latest post on 13 January 2014 - 00:15
Her husband, son, and mum had left the auditorium. I think she made some excuse to come back so she could have a go. When the husband came out of the loo into the Foyer the granny and son were already outside. There was no sign of them in the Foyer. As soon as I could get into the foyer I did because I was scared for our safety. I also wanted to get away from her because I was dumbstruck and about to start bubbling. I had been hoping the ushers would do something but they just stood there open mouthed so I took my daughters arm and said lets get to Security,but there were none and its why I said I would call the police. She was still ranting in the Foyer. My daughter who's almost 25 by the way and is the teacher had gone to the car. It wasn't for her pupils or their parents to see. She has said we just have to rise above it mama. It was awful, she was horrible, loud, common, a fishwife, and one day she will pick on the wrong person somewhere in the world. edited by DesertRose1958 on 13/01/2014 <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 13/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 12 January 2014 - 23:58
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I know its sometimes hard to think of a reply or how to deal with a situation at the time. I would like to think that personally would've highlighted quite loudly that it is appalling how some people behave in front of their children, and promptly walked out of the cinema. If she pursued me, I would've said again it was not the way to behave in front of children, and headed for the security. I mean bless the poor 4year old that witnessed this. Telling someone that they need to teach their wife to behave was probably not the best way to go. Especially in front of their daughter. After all you said he was apologizing. To be honest, she is an adult and her behavior is not his responsibility, neither is her hygiene. Put it behind you. What is done is done.
Latest post on 12 January 2014 - 23:42
She was abusive and threatening, looming down at me from her elevated position in the row behind. I thought at any minute she would lamp me one. It was the kind of behaviour you don't respond to, you get the police to respond to it on your behalf. You cannot say the things she said and expect to get away with it and she really is very lucky she said it to someone getting over a bad dose of flu and still feeling quite yucky, and a young teacher looking at the woman and seeing 5 of her pupils and their parents standing two rows behind. Im British, my daughter is Omani but looks Mediterranean, the woman is Indian. She meant that I was a British racist picking on an Indian. She would not have had a clue about my daughters background. My daughter was a really good role model to her students, she didn't put a foot wrong. I did when I mentioned the womans BO to her husband, it was childish. As for telling her husband he needed to teach his wife to behave - he does because the next person she treats the way she treated us today might just be the person who quite rightly does phone the police and say Im not accepting this behaviour and i want to make a case. It will be the husband who has to deal with it. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 12/01/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY