Nursery not letting my son attend because his sister has chicken pox | ExpatWoman.com

Nursery not letting my son attend because his sister has chicken pox

Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 12:00
I felt I had to add my bit to this discussion. Whilst I understand the logic behind a parent's desire to let their children catch chicken pox while they are young, what a lot of people don't know is that there are huge risks to pregnant women if they catch the virus. I know this from personal experience. ....And unfortunately whilst you may think it's desirable for your child to catch or share the virus, you also have to consider the many pregnant mothers who may end up being affected too. I am amazed at how few people realise the risks to the unborn baby if a mum contracts chicken pox. I'm not a Dr, but as I said...personal experience has taught me this and whilst the severity of the risks may depend on the trimester of the pregnancy, it is still something that all parents should be aware of. It's one thing to expose your child to the virus to minimise problems of catching it as an adult, it's a totally different thing to possibly pass it on to the many pregnant mums out there.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 11:41
I'm on the fence about varicella vaccination as I can see very valid arguments to both sides. I personally have/will vaccinate my children though. I wonder what age children does the nursery accept? I can understand this policy if they are taking babies under 18 months. By school age most kids will have had both jabs if the parents are vaccinating and it is more detrimental for kids to miss schoolwork. Assuming the op has chosen not to vaccinate, the odds are very high that her little one will come down with chicken pox and keeping them at nursery would inevitably expose others, personally if I had a young baby at that nursery I would appreciate the policy. I know it would be a pain for a working mum though.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 10:08
They are being asked for a two week stay away, not three months, get this into perspective. Cars and communicable disease are incomparable. The base comparison is one of risk.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 10:04
My son contracted chicken pox a few days before his 1st birthday party. I phoned all the mums in the nursery to let them know that he had it as we were having a little birthday party for him. THEY ALL TURNED UP to the party in the hope that their children would be next. The teachers at the nursery were duly informed and they asked me to only keep him at home if he had fever. They never banned him from nursery. It is a well known fact that it is better to contract chicken pox as a child than as an adult. Most kids in Europe do have it by the age of 8. The vaccine is not required in Europe because it is not full-proof and cases have arisen where people vaccinated against chickenpox have actually caught it later in life. I think it is a bit unfair of the nursery to do this. They should have a record of vaccinations for all the students and the staff. That way they know what they are dealing with. Most parents I know in Europe would be happy to have their children catch it and would probably not mind an infected child attending. It is also the nursery's obligation to inform all parents that their is a case of chicken pox in the school so those at risk can be warned ( pregnant ladies etc...)
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:44
There is a list that schools and nurseries have from the relevant ministries with guidelines as to how long pupils have to be off school. Schools have to adhere to this and certain communicable diseases have to be reported if found in pupils. A Google will find it or your nursery will be able to provide you with a copy of their health policy. Schools are really trying their best to protect their communities their problem is that a percentage of parents seem to know better or fail to report ill health. When my kids are sick and it is a questionable one i often pop in to the school doctor and ask her advice as to whether they want said child at school, because it is the responsible thing to do. The guidelines at dd's school are that once the spots have scabbed she can go back in, so even though she is still covered in them she can return. They have not asked eldest dd to stay off just in case she might get them. Seriously how many schools would refuse siblings because their brother or sister has it and they MIGHT be carrying it?? And where would it end, which other illnesses could the same policy be used for? Then you need to direct your questions with the schools directly and if still unhappy ask the appropriate ministry. The answer to you second part is because it is down to risk and a risk evaluation is done, if the risk is high enough action needs to be taken regardless of whether it might or might not happen. When people are quarantined it is based on risk not necessarily symptoms, it's to do with exposure bla bla. Not schools it's just the 1 nursery that I am aware of who has suddenly made up this policy. He attended yesterday and they phoned me after I picked him up to say they had just made up this new rule. I told them his sister had chicken pox last Monday and now 6 days later they've invented a new policy, that is not common practise in other nurseries or schools.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:39
I had chicken pox twice as a child which is quite unusual and was really sick with it. Have had shingles 3 times as an adult...two of the times brought on by being in contact with kids that had chicken pox... it wipes me out for a month or longer. So maybe the nursery is not just trying to protect the other kids but also the adults who go/work there too... totally understand it must be frustrating for you though but guess it's just one of those things you'll have to get through. Hope your LO feels better soon! You are one in a million. It makes no sense. Nursery workers should also be vaccinated. not really - i had CP three times as a child. Thankfully not had shingles but i know i am not immune to CP.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:38
There is a list that schools and nurseries have from the relevant ministries with guidelines as to how long pupils have to be off school. Schools have to adhere to this and certain communicable diseases have to be reported if found in pupils. A Google will find it or your nursery will be able to provide you with a copy of their health policy. Schools are really trying their best to protect their communities their problem is that a percentage of parents seem to know better or fail to report ill health. When my kids are sick and it is a questionable one i often pop in to the school doctor and ask her advice as to whether they want said child at school, because it is the responsible thing to do. The guidelines at dd's school are that once the spots have scabbed she can go back in, so even though she is still covered in them she can return. They have not asked eldest dd to stay off just in case she might get them. Seriously how many schools would refuse siblings because their brother or sister has it and they MIGHT be carrying it?? And where would it end, which other illnesses could the same policy be used for? Then you need to direct your questions with the schools directly and if still unhappy ask the appropriate ministry. The answer to you second part is because it is down to risk and a risk evaluation is done, if the risk is high enough action needs to be taken regardless of whether it might or might not happen. When people are quarantined it is based on risk not necessarily symptoms, it's to do with exposure bla bla.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:31
I had chicken pox twice as a child which is quite unusual and was really sick with it. Have had shingles 3 times as an adult...two of the times brought on by being in contact with kids that had chicken pox... it wipes me out for a month or longer. So maybe the nursery is not just trying to protect the other kids but also the adults who go/work there too... totally understand it must be frustrating for you though but guess it's just one of those things you'll have to get through. Hope your LO feels better soon! You are one in a million. It makes no sense. Nursery workers should also be vaccinated.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:31
There is a list that schools and nurseries have from the relevant ministries with guidelines as to how long pupils have to be off school. Schools have to adhere to this and certain communicable diseases have to be reported if found in pupils. A Google will find it or your nursery will be able to provide you with a copy of their health policy. Schools are really trying their best to protect their communities their problem is that a percentage of parents seem to know better or fail to report ill health. When my kids are sick and it is a questionable one i often pop in to the school doctor and ask her advice as to whether they want said child at school, because it is the responsible thing to do. The guidelines at dd's school are that once the spots have scabbed she can go back in, so even though she is still covered in them she can return. They have not asked eldest dd to stay off just in case she might get them. Seriously how many schools would refuse siblings because their brother or sister has it and they MIGHT be carrying it?? And where would it end, which other illnesses could the same policy be used for?
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:30
I had chicken pox twice as a child which is quite unusual and was really sick with it. Have had shingles 3 times as an adult...two of the times brought on by being in contact with kids that had chicken pox... it wipes me out for a month or longer. So maybe the nursery is not just trying to protect the other kids but also the adults who go/work there too... totally understand it must be frustrating for you though but guess it's just one of those things you'll have to get through. Hope your LO feels better soon!
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:29
All nurseries should require the chicken pox vaccine. Then there would be nothing to worry about. If one child did happen to contract it, the odds of the other children getting it would still be very low. It's not the children you are always protecting, its pregnant women and adults. Also certain groups can not have many vaccinations and this is why you vaccinate the majority as LT stated the herd in order to protect and reduce the risks to the minority who can not be vaccinated.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:27
I guess no one here went to 'pox' parties when they were kids? Got sent to several as a child and never managed to get it. Can see both sides of this one batgirls i hope the sick little one gets well soon and i hope you can manage with the other off nursery xx Pox parties lol, so many different meanings!
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:27
All nurseries should require the chicken pox vaccine. Then there would be nothing to worry about. If one child did happen to contract it, the odds of the other children getting it would still be very low.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:26
There is a list that schools and nurseries have from the relevant ministries with guidelines as to how long pupils have to be off school. Schools have to adhere to this and certain communicable diseases have to be reported if found in pupils. A Google will find it or your nursery will be able to provide you with a copy of their health policy. Schools are really trying their best to protect their communities their problem is that a percentage of parents seem to know better or fail to report ill health. When my kids are sick and it is a questionable one i often pop in to the school doctor and ask her advice as to whether they want said child at school, because it is the responsible thing to do.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:24
I guess no one here went to 'pox' parties when they were kids? Got sent to several as a child and never managed to get it. Can see both sides of this one batgirls i hope the sick little one gets well soon and i hope you can manage with the other off nursery xx I remember going to one in my street, but that was over 50 years ago :) I also did the same for both my DD's when they were little, but that was over 20 years ago and even at that time the school knew about it and didn't complain. To be honest I think they were quite pleased that majority of the kids in one class were all off at around the same time and they didn't have the odd one or two missing every few weeks. <em>edited by Geordie expat on 27/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:23
I guess no one here went to 'pox' parties when they were kids? Got sent to several as a child and never managed to get it. Can see both sides of this one batgirls i hope the sick little one gets well soon and i hope you can manage with the other off nursery xx Pox parties still happen! And thank you x
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:21
I guess no one here went to 'pox' parties when they were kids? Got sent to several as a child and never managed to get it. Can see both sides of this one batgirls i hope the sick little one gets well soon and i hope you can manage with the other off nursery xx
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:19
Asking siblings to stay home feels like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Given that you can be infectious up to 10 days after onset of symptoms and incubation can be up to 21 days, if you want to be really socially responsible that would mean 31 days isolation. Do you really think people should isolate for 31 days just be on the safe side? In the past couple of years that would have meant 3 months off school for my one child who never contracted chicken pox despite is three siblings doing so. My husband hasn't had chicken pox either. As the majority of fatal cases are adults and he comes in to contact with far more adults during the course of his day than my children do, should he have taken 3 months off work? He'd be told to return or be fired. The serious consequences of road accidents far outweigh the serious consequences of chicken pox per capita. In order to be socially responsible should we then all decide not to use cars? Of course not. We minimise the risk through seat belts, airbags and taking care (some of us) and go about our lives hoping for the best. With chicken pox you can choose to minimise the risk through vaccinating your family and in the event of contracting it, staying home for the duration of the infectious period. They are being asked for a two week stay away, not three months, get this into perspective. Cars and communicable disease are incomparable. What daza is saying is that if you have say 4 children and one never actually gets chicken pox then he could potentially be about to get it for months if his siblings all catch it 21 days apart. Having my kids home is actually no hardship, I am well aware what being a mum is all about! What I take issue with is 1 nursery making up a rule that is unheard of in other schools/nurseries based on assumptions that the other children will become infected, which if they haven't been vaccinated is surely a good thing? I wanted my children to catch it whilst they were young enough for it to be a generally mild illness, surely all parents who have not vaccinated feel the same? Besides, which other illnesses are you suggesting we do the same for, a month ago my dd had a fever, a child in her class had scarlet fever, so we took dd to the docs, whilst waiting for the results should I have kept my other 2 children off school, who had no temperatures, just in case eldest dd had scarlet fever (she didn't) and they were in the incubation period? Every time one of my children has a fever should they all be off because it could turn into something else??
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:12
Many moons ago i had a nice dose of impetigo on my face, i informed my child's school at the time as this comes under a communicable disease, he was not allowed to attend school for two weeks even though he nor his siblings nor any member of the household had it. This was in the UK. I was a full time working mum and just had to cope, I'm afraid when you have children you have to bear with such things and be responsible. On a side note my DH many moons ago also came down with Chicken pox as an adult and he suffered terribly and was off work for 3 weeks. I'm afraid you can argue the point as much as you like but the nursery has told you their policy and LT has spelled it out loud and clear. I had it at aged 19 care of my lovely Nephew who picked it up from nursery I was off for 3 weeks and very poorly also. Thankfully it did not develop into shingles. Speaking of Impetigo I had it so many times as a child.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:09
Asking siblings to stay home feels like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Given that you can be infectious up to 10 days after onset of symptoms and incubation can be up to 21 days, if you want to be really socially responsible that would mean 31 days isolation. Do you really think people should isolate for 31 days just be on the safe side? In the past couple of years that would have meant 3 months off school for my one child who never contracted chicken pox despite is three siblings doing so. My husband hasn't had chicken pox either. As the majority of fatal cases are adults and he comes in to contact with far more adults during the course of his day than my children do, should he have taken 3 months off work? He'd be told to return or be fired. The serious consequences of road accidents far outweigh the serious consequences of chicken pox per capita. In order to be socially responsible should we then all decide not to use cars? Of course not. We minimise the risk through seat belts, airbags and taking care (some of us) and go about our lives hoping for the best. With chicken pox you can choose to minimise the risk through vaccinating your family and in the event of contracting it, staying home for the duration of the infectious period. They are being asked for a two week stay away, not three months, get this into perspective. Cars and communicable disease are incomparable.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:07
Many moons ago i had a nice dose of impetigo on my face, i informed my child's school at the time as this comes under a communicable disease, he was not allowed to attend school for two weeks even though he nor his siblings nor any member of the household had it. This was in the UK. I was a full time working mum and just had to cope, I'm afraid when you have children you have to bear with such things and be responsible. On a side note my DH many moons ago also came down with Chicken pox as an adult and he suffered terribly and was off work for 3 weeks. I'm afraid you can argue the point as much as you like but the nursery has told you their policy and LT has spelled it out loud and clear.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 09:00
Having had adult chickenpox last year along with my three daughters 3,5,9 I would definitely advocate getting it when you are a child. They had no fever just the rash and were bouncing all over the place while I was in a living ****. Chickenpox vaccine is not a mandatory vaccination and therefore it is not actively offered by the doctors. If you want it you need to ask for it (a lot of people dont know or dont bother asking). A lot of Dr.'s also advise against too many vaccines for children as with every bit of chemical you put in their body you are also taking something away from them. When I was younger I used to hear about chickenpox play dates i.e. parents used to send their kids for playdates with kids with chickenpox so they could get it over with....anyway, my two bits. We were advised not to have the vaccine both here and in the uk, most cases in children are mild and we were told unless there are underlying medical conditions a chicken pox vaccine was unneccessary.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 08:55
Having had adult chickenpox last year along with my three daughters 3,5,9 I would definitely advocate getting it when you are a child. They had no fever just the rash and were bouncing all over the place while I was in a living ****. Chickenpox vaccine is not a mandatory vaccination and therefore it is not actively offered by the doctors. If you want it you need to ask for it (a lot of people dont know or dont bother asking). A lot of Dr.'s also advise against too many vaccines for children as with every bit of chemical you put in their body you are also taking something away from them. When I was younger I used to hear about chickenpox play dates i.e. parents used to send their kids for playdates with kids with chickenpox so they could get it over with....anyway, my two bits.
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 08:53
Asking siblings to stay home feels like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Given that you can be infectious up to 10 days after onset of symptoms and incubation can be up to 21 days, if you want to be really socially responsible that would mean 31 days isolation. Do you really think people should isolate for 31 days just be on the safe side? In the past couple of years that would have meant 3 months off school for my one child who never contracted chicken pox despite is three siblings doing so. My husband hasn't had chicken pox either. As the majority of fatal cases are adults and he comes in to contact with far more adults during the course of his day than my children do, should he have taken 3 months off work? He'd be told to return or be fired. The serious consequences of road accidents far outweigh the serious consequences of chicken pox per capita. In order to be socially responsible should we then all decide not to use cars? Of course not. We minimise the risk through seat belts, airbags and taking care (some of us) and go about our lives hoping for the best. With chicken pox you can choose to minimise the risk through vaccinating your family and in the event of contracting it, staying home for the duration of the infectious period.[/quote Exactly! Plus children have either been vaccinated so it doesn't matter if they come into contact with my potentially contagious son or they haven't been vaccinated and (presumably) their parents want them to catch chicken pox whilst they are young. <em>edited by batgirls gal on 27/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 27 January 2014 - 08:44
Asking siblings to stay home feels like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Given that you can be infectious up to 10 days after onset of symptoms and incubation can be up to 21 days, if you want to be really socially responsible that would mean 31 days isolation. Do you really think people should isolate for 31 days just be on the safe side? In the past couple of years that would have meant 3 months off school for my one child who never contracted chicken pox despite is three siblings doing so. My husband hasn't had chicken pox either. As the majority of fatal cases are adults and he comes in to contact with far more adults during the course of his day than my children do, should he have taken 3 months off work? He'd be told to return or be fired. The serious consequences of road accidents far outweigh the serious consequences of chicken pox per capita. In order to be socially responsible should we then all decide not to use cars? Of course not. We minimise the risk through seat belts, airbags and taking care (some of us) and go about our lives hoping for the best. With chicken pox you can choose to minimise the risk through vaccinating your family and in the event of contracting it, staying home for the duration of the infectious period.
Latest post on 26 January 2014 - 20:39
Back to the original point, as asked by the OP.............should apparently unaffected siblings be forced to stay at home in the case of infectious disease ,when that disease has well documented potentially serious implications for others? To me the answer to that is quite clear, a resounding yes, until the incubation period is over. The greater good of the community far outweighs any temporary personal inconvenience. It's called responsible membership of society. As is availing ourselves of inoculation, it creates herd immunity which is our greatest, and perhaps only. defense against infectious disease. The most intelligent well put together post for a long long time, could not agree more!
Latest post on 26 January 2014 - 20:26
Back to the original point, as asked by the OP.............should apparently unaffected siblings be forced to stay at home in the case of infectious disease ,when that disease has well documented potentially serious implications for others? To me the answer to that is quite clear, a resounding yes, until the incubation period is over. The greater good of the community far outweighs any temporary personal inconvenience. It's called responsible membership of society. As is availing ourselves of inoculation, it creates herd immunity which is our greatest, and perhaps only. defense against infectious disease. Well said LT......
Latest post on 26 January 2014 - 20:20
Back to the original point, as asked by the OP.............should apparently unaffected siblings be forced to stay at home in the case of infectious disease ,when that disease has well documented potentially serious implications for others? To me the answer to that is quite clear, a resounding yes, until the incubation period is over. The greater good of the community far outweighs any temporary personal inconvenience. It's called responsible membership of society. As is availing ourselves of inoculation, it creates herd immunity which is our greatest, and perhaps only. defense against infectious disease.
Latest post on 26 January 2014 - 19:56
DS's nursery will not let him go for the next 15 days because his sister has chickenpox. DS doesn't have chickenpox (yet!), is it normal for a nursery to do this? They are behaving in a totally responsible manner. Your outrage shows that you are not. Chicken pox can be extremely serious, and is at its most infectious before the rash appears. And I sincerely hope for your work colleagues and adult friends that you have had it already and are not incubating the virus. It can be fatal in adults. edited by Livelytrish on 26/01/2014 It can be fatal in adults which is why the majority of people would prefer their children to catch chickenpox whilst they are children. There are millions of every day diseases which can occasionally prove fatal do you suggest that every sibling of every child with the common cold should be kept home in case somebody with a weakened immune system comes into contact with them? My elder daughter's school is aware that my younger daughter has chickenpox and they have not suggested that she stay off in case she is carrying the virus dormantly. I spoke to my paediatrician and explained the situation she thought it was ridiculous and was adamant they could not do this. Please don't be ridiculous, I thought we talking about chicken pox, a potentially serious illness, not a cold. And I suggest you change your paediatrician to one who has a better concept of communicable disease. And perhaps it might have been wiser to ensure that your children had been vaccinated. [b'>A cold has potential to kill, in someone with a weakened immune system it can turn into strep, flu, etc so what's the difference? Yes chicken pox can turn into a very nasty disease but so can countless other illnesses. [/b'> . A cold cannot turn into flu as they are caused by different viruses.Neither can it turn into strep throat as that is a bacterial infection. In my experience parents of children with a weak immune system and adults with weak immune systems take great care to avoid coming into contact with infectious diseases as it is often life threatening for them - they don't just go around hoping they wont catch something. It is more likely the unsuspecting, un-vaccinated who are at risk. Not according to [b'>google and NHS online.[/b'> I think we're getting away from the point here, which is should siblings be forced to stay off school and nursery simply because they MIGHT carry a dormant illness? Really? http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Flu/Pages/Introduction.aspx do not rely on Google for medical information - there is a lot of rubbish out there. First one and plenty more www.cardiff.ac.uk/biosi/subsites/cold/commoncold.html by R Eccles - ‎Cited by 2 - ‎Related articles As we get older our immune system learns how to deal with more and more viruses as we generate antibodies each time we get a cold. Can a cold kill you? Yes! Yes it can kill....... BUT there is no vaccine against a cold.............;) <em>edited by Nomad on 26/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 26 January 2014 - 19:50
DS's nursery will not let him go for the next 15 days because his sister has chickenpox. DS doesn't have chickenpox (yet!), is it normal for a nursery to do this? They are behaving in a totally responsible manner. Your outrage shows that you are not. Chicken pox can be extremely serious, and is at its most infectious before the rash appears. And I sincerely hope for your work colleagues and adult friends that you have had it already and are not incubating the virus. It can be fatal in adults. edited by Livelytrish on 26/01/2014 It can be fatal in adults which is why the majority of people would prefer their children to catch chickenpox whilst they are children. There are millions of every day diseases which can occasionally prove fatal do you suggest that every sibling of every child with the common cold should be kept home in case somebody with a weakened immune system comes into contact with them? My elder daughter's school is aware that my younger daughter has chickenpox and they have not suggested that she stay off in case she is carrying the virus dormantly. I spoke to my paediatrician and explained the situation she thought it was ridiculous and was adamant they could not do this. Please don't be ridiculous, I thought we talking about chicken pox, a potentially serious illness, not a cold. And I suggest you change your paediatrician to one who has a better concept of communicable disease. And perhaps it might have been wiser to ensure that your children had been vaccinated. [b'>A cold has potential to kill, in someone with a weakened immune system it can turn into strep, flu, etc so what's the difference? Yes chicken pox can turn into a very nasty disease but so can countless other illnesses. [/b'> . A cold cannot turn into flu as they are caused by different viruses.Neither can it turn into strep throat as that is a bacterial infection. In my experience parents of children with a weak immune system and adults with weak immune systems take great care to avoid coming into contact with infectious diseases as it is often life threatening for them - they don't just go around hoping they wont catch something. It is more likely the unsuspecting, un-vaccinated who are at risk. Not according to [b'>google and NHS online.[/b'> I think we're getting away from the point here, which is should siblings be forced to stay off school and nursery simply because they MIGHT carry a dormant illness? Really? http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Flu/Pages/Introduction.aspx do not rely on Google for medical information - there is a lot of rubbish out there. First one and plenty more www.cardiff.ac.uk/biosi/subsites/cold/commoncold.html by R Eccles - ‎Cited by 2 - ‎Related articles As we get older our immune system learns how to deal with more and more viruses as we generate antibodies each time we get a cold. Can a cold kill you? Yes!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY