Random Acts of Kindness | ExpatWoman.com

Random Acts of Kindness

Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 15:28

Aside from opening doors for strangers, giving up your seat on the metro or bus, letting someone else go ahead of you in a queue, and giving a parking ticket that has lots of time left to another person, what other random acts of kindness have you done in Dubai?

Latest post on 30 January 2014 - 11:51
I was sat in Tips and Toes once and the lady next to me was having her threading done Her child was being a little grizzly so I was pulling funny faces and jangling my keys at him to try and distract him whilst Mum was busy Mum finished, said thank you. When I left to pay the Receptionist said this is from the lady who was sat next to you. She had gifted me a head and shoulder massage and left me a lovely note saying thank you. Needless to say I walked home with a huge lump in my throat close to tears
Latest post on 30 January 2014 - 11:18
Not a random act of kindness I have done but worth reporting. BH has just gone to work in Riyadh and transferred all his work from the past 8 years onto a huge USB which he managed to lose while on a conference in Dubai this weekend. Needless to say none of it had yet been saved on his new work computer.Some lovely gentleman emailed him that he had found it on the roadside in Dubai, looked though it and found his email and will return it to him. BH is hugely relieved and will finally back up everything. So thankful as BH was stressed to the max to say the least.
Latest post on 30 January 2014 - 10:41
I was in DIFC waiting to order lunch and the guy in front asked if I could hold his space whilst he popped across to a different shop - I said sure... he came back with a big bunch of flowers that I assumed were for his wife. He gave them to me. I told him there was no need, I only held the space for 5 minutes and he told me that he left the line just to go and get me flowers as he has seen me helping someone the previous day and thought it would be nice if someone did something for me i thought it was sweet - he was a bit creepy but the gesture was sweet Pay it forward :-)
Latest post on 30 January 2014 - 10:32
I was in DIFC waiting to order lunch and the guy in front asked if I could hold his space whilst he popped across to a different shop - I said sure... he came back with a big bunch of flowers that I assumed were for his wife. He gave them to me. I told him there was no need, I only held the space for 5 minutes and he told me that he left the line just to go and get me flowers as he has seen me helping someone the previous day and thought it would be nice if someone did something for me i thought it was sweet - he was a bit creepy but the gesture was sweet
Latest post on 30 January 2014 - 09:51
You are so right Sakhifa, I always remember my dad's saying " what the left hand does, the right hand should not know about it,( which means when you do something good you don't go around talking about it) Exactly. Those words are from the New Testament, Gospel of Matthew 6:3.
Latest post on 30 January 2014 - 09:26
You are so right Sakhifa, I always remember my dad's saying " what the left hand does, the right hand should not know about it,( which means when you do something good you don't go around talking about it)
Latest post on 30 January 2014 - 08:42
It's funny I was thinking about this earlier this week, how it's good to share the love. Someone gave me their ticket stub this week which was nice. Today I brought in homemade caramel shortbread for my colleagues, tipped the Aramex shop and ship man and bought my colleagues lunch and coffee. This weekend my friend and I are cooking for labourers. I think it really makes a difference to add a bit of kindness to the world :) Hello, just wanted to ask where will you be cooking? Is this a private affair or can anyone volunteer. I am not a great cook but would love to help.
Latest post on 30 January 2014 - 00:11
Helped a lady and her family go back to her country when they were stuck in Dubai. Usually when I shop in Chiotrams on al wasl road I usally buy some water and a snack for the car washer thats always there. Pick up rubbish with a bunch of volunteers on the beach This wasn't here in Dubai, in the UK a lady was hit by a bus in front of me and no one cared to help, instead they stood there watching. She got up, staggering all over the place with a head that was bleeding badly. Since no one helped I took her to a near cafe, tried to stop her bleeding and gave her lots of water so she's hydrated and waited with her until the ambulance and police showed up. I can't believe no one else helped, I was a very pregnant woman at the time (was about to give birth any day) and was in shock too but alhamdulilah she was fine. You gave water to a head wound victim? Now one was around when a bus hit someone in the UK????? yes I gave her water because she was drunk and seemed like she was going to faint. There were lots of people, they just didn't help. People on the bus stayed on the bus and pedestrians just watched
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 23:24
This would be a much nicer thread if it were about acts of kindness others have shown you. Agree.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 23:23
Helped a lady and her family go back to her country when they were stuck in Dubai. Usually when I shop in Chiotrams on al wasl road I usally buy some water and a snack for the car washer thats always there. Pick up rubbish with a bunch of volunteers on the beach This wasn't here in Dubai, in the UK a lady was hit by a bus in front of me and no one cared to help, instead they stood there watching. She got up, staggering all over the place with a head that was bleeding badly. Since no one helped I took her to a near cafe, tried to stop her bleeding and gave her lots of water so she's hydrated and waited with her until the ambulance and police showed up. I can't believe no one else helped, I was a very pregnant woman at the time (was about to give birth any day) and was in shock too but alhamdulilah she was fine. You gave water to a head wound victim? Now one was around when a bus hit someone in the UK?????
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 23:02
Helped a lady and her family go back to her country when they were stuck in Dubai. Usually when I shop in Chiotrams on al wasl road I usally buy some water and a snack for the car washer thats always there. Pick up rubbish with a bunch of volunteers on the beach This wasn't here in Dubai, in the UK a lady was hit by a bus in front of me and no one cared to help, instead they stood there watching. She got up, staggering all over the place with a head that was bleeding badly. Since no one helped I took her to a near cafe, tried to stop her bleeding and gave her lots of water so she's hydrated and waited with her until the ambulance and police showed up. I can't believe no one else helped, I was a very pregnant woman at the time (was about to give birth any day) and was in shock too but alhamdulilah she was fine.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 21:07
Not a DXB story but....over Christmas DS and DIL were shopping and at the check out behind an elderly lady who was hurrying to catch the bus back to the the group home ( bus driver was pacing up and down trying to move everyone along ). When her bill was rung up the poor dear couldn't find her purse and was in a terrible state bursting into tears,she had left her purse at home. Apparently DIL says DS put his arm around her said ' you remind me so much of my Nan she was always forgetting things ,can I pay for your groceries '. Poor dear cried even more , DS paid the bill the bus driver came over and thanked him asking for his address so they could send him the money. DIL said they should pay it forward and pop something in Sally Anne's kettle. <em>edited by Nomad on 29/01/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 21:00
The best act of kindness is to SMILE (it's a Sunnah) ! Just smile at people, kids etc. It goes a long way :) **Smiles at all the ladies here**
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 20:46
This would be a much nicer thread if it were about acts of kindness others have shown you. I find there are many really kind people out there. It is surprising how often, when it think the traffic can't get worse, someone in a big Landcruiser or something else equally a huge will stop and let me in or in the supermarket someone will invite me to go ahead of them if I only have one or two items and they have a trolley full. The other day I had to park on one of the slip roads off S.Zayed, where the car dealerships are. Unfortunately I couldn't get over so had to park on the opposite side of the road from the shops, so had to cross the road. I had my one year old with me. We stood for ten minutes just waiting for a break in the extremely busy and fast traffic. I was about to get back in the car, stick the kid back in his car seat, and make my way around the block to somehow get back to park on the right side. A lovely man in a massive Land Cruiser came up and was suddenly driving down the middle of the road and then stopped, turning his car diagonally to stop all of the traffic behind him. It was such a kind gesture and so unexpected. I waved. And ran! And waved again. Not only did I think how kind that was but was equally impressed how quick someone could think to do a fancy move like that!!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 20:29
This would be a much nicer thread if it were about acts of kindness others have shown you. I find there are many really kind people out there. It is surprising how often, when it think the traffic can't get worse, someone in a big Landcruiser or something else equally a huge will stop and let me in or in the supermarket someone will invite me to go ahead of them if I only have one or two items and they have a trolley full.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 20:25
I anonymously sent some candy bars and fun notepads to about a dozen women at work using interoffice mail.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 19:55
In summer it is always nice to buy some cold fruit juices or other cold drinks to give to labourers or cleaners on the streets or in parks. They always so grateful for the thought. I always think each act of random kindness in a very unkind environment will come back to you many times over when you least expect it. Or when it gets cold, get some of the cardamon tea they sell for peanuts at the gas station, with glucose biscuits. Or pay for the stuff a labour worker behind you in the queue has in his hands. When you have food left after a meal pass it onto the cleaners in the mall. Will save them buying a meal. When you see the cleaner in your building is having a cold/flu, buy them some meds and vitamins. Order lunch for someone. So many things!
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 19:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeph_eX_pVw This is a lovely video of random acts of kindness caught by dash cams.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 19:45
wouldnt it just but I honestly can;t thik of any ....I wish I could think of something nice someone has done
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 19:38
This would be a much nicer thread if it were about acts of kindness others have shown you.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 19:09
always give my old clothes to the girls in the salons
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 18:47
Letting the person with only one or two items go through the checkout ahead of me. Bringing out a bottle of drink for the car-washer in the hot weather, even though he hasn't washed my car. Paying for the groceries of labourers behind me in the checkout queue during Ramadan.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 18:23
Often buy box of ice lollies for car washers in Spinneys when its hot.. With parking tickets, just check if it says not transferable on it. If it does look around before you hand over/take one! I know in UK this is what they say. Also make tea for street cleaners on occasion. They often ask for multiple sugars! My old gardener took 5!
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 18:20
One done by someone else to my DD - she bought a handbag a few days ago and someone had put five dirhams in it with a note to say they hoped it would bring the finder good luck. I always tip the guy who fills my car with petrol. I know they don't all get to keep it but it shows I appreciate what they have done. Also a thank you to the girl on the till and to the person who packs my bag in the supermarket. It doesn't cost anything to be polite.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 18:19
If there is a gardener or labourer behind me in the supermarket I'll buy his lunch. I give my security guards a box of biscuits or chocolates for Xmas each year. Per pollydxb1 I also give away my parking ticket stubs after someone did that to me when I first arrived here. It really made my day!
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 18:15
giving a parking ticket that has lots of time left to another person, I give my ticket to people ALL the time, yesterday was the first time anyone ever offered it back, however I declined at it only had 20 minutes left on it! But the thought was there and made me smile :) Apparently it is illegal to share parking tickets. Be careful. Perhaps it is not anymore, but it used to be when it was under municipality control.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 17:37
In summer it is always nice to buy some cold fruit juices or other cold drinks to give to labourers or cleaners on the streets or in parks. They always so grateful for the thought. I always think each act of random kindness in a very unkind environment will come back to you many times over when you least expect it.
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 17:13
Just a small thing but when I'm queing to get fruirt and veg weighed,if I see someone only has a couple of things I let them go first.I don't do it for thanks but I can't believe how many people don't say thanks or even make eye contact.Even if someone doesn't speak English they can still respond in a friendly way. It's always good to behave in a kind and courteous way whatever the responce. (Oh dear, hark at me don't I sound smug! :) )
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 17:07
Helping people out with coins at the counter when they don't have change. Love the completely amazed face i get for a dirham!
Latest post on 29 January 2014 - 17:02
giving a parking ticket that has lots of time left to another person, I give my ticket to people ALL the time, yesterday was the first time anyone ever offered it back, however I declined at it only had 20 minutes left on it! But the thought was there and made me smile :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY