Help! Baby bird found | ExpatWoman.com

Help! Baby bird found

Latest post on 04 February 2014 - 11:00

My kids found a baby bird last night. It appears healthy and maybe half grown. What do I feed it? Is there somewhere I can take him - a rescue place of sorts? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Latest post on 05 February 2014 - 08:17
hi there. sorry to say, but once in contact with humans the baby will be deserted by the parents. u can feed it with bread dipped in water so it is soft. i am afraid that chances are 50/50 for its survival. kittycat71 has done the right thing. the vet will be able to care for it better. :)
Latest post on 04 February 2014 - 21:06
Thanks for the advice. I have surrendered the baby bird to Nad al Sheba vet.
Latest post on 04 February 2014 - 19:36
If you do manage to get it back into its nest just keep an eye out that it doesn't fall out again.As Kaba said handle it with oven gloves if you can. If this isn't an option it is important to keep the bird warm. If you have a hotpad put that into a box and cover with a towel. A hot water bottle will also work.Be carful with feeding it as they choke really quickly.Nad Al Sheba vets may be able to give you some advice re feeding or if there is anyone who could give you more help. Also important to keep it in a quiet dark area away from little prying hands,their little hearts give out really quickly. HTH <em>edited by Nomad on 04/02/2014</em>
Latest post on 04 February 2014 - 17:59
I don't know if this is the right thing to do but when we found a baby bird in our garden we first tried to locate the nest. We were unsuccessful so I took one of my DD's old shoe boxes (without the lid) and put some leaves, long twigs, and a small very shallow bowl of water in it. Trying to have as little physical contact with the bird as possible, I placed it it the shoe box and wedged the shoe box in the branches of a tree. The hope was that the mother would hear it calling, and also to get it off the ground where dogs and cats could easily catch it. Hope that helps. <em>edited by Kaba on 04/02/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY