Question about the famous Taliban store | ExpatWoman.com

Question about the famous Taliban store

Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 08:42

Good morning ladies,
I am fairly new to Doha and not working yet, I keep myself busy with some old fashioned handicrafts (my grandmother would be proud). Running short on wool, I was wondering whether anyone knows whether the Taliban shops which has been named a few times on this forum has wool/yarn good for knitting/ crocheting? Or is this shop for sewing/ embroidery rather?
I'd like to know before I make my husband driving me there on the weekend. :)
Any other ideas where to get wool welcome!
TIA

Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 21:34
To anyone looking for wool and natural fiber yarns in Doha: I have a fairly large selection of wool and natural fiber yarns for sale as well as some knitting needles, crochet hooks and supplies (all brand new). If anyone is interested, let me know and we can make arrangements. I'm actually having an open house November 8, 9 and 10, 2014. Need info? Just reply and I'll check in.
Latest post on 23 April 2014 - 16:03
Thanks Emma, will try to check it out on the weekend. Still no car - will have to convince better half to go with me :)
Latest post on 22 April 2014 - 10:48
Haven't been to check but have been told by friends that Al Raunaq in the souk carries a selection of wool.
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 18:20
Hi kirschtin - are you belonging to a knitting/crocheting group in Qatar? I am a crocheter as well as a crochet blogger and actually like getting together for an hour or two of craft sharing.
Latest post on 03 March 2014 - 09:22
Quick resume of my 2 visits: Taliban shop: amazing variety of sewing material, especially buttons and thin yarns for embroidery, etc. My eyes lit up seeing so many colorful ravels. very nice but not suitable for me. there were a few stacks of wool but these almost felt like plastic. one ball was 25gr but didnt even give the length. costs 2QAR per ball. so not expenive, but also not good quality. for any beginner's trials those might be fine. they only had 1.75 mm crochet hooks, no other sizes. definitely too small for the yarn. Singer: I can second dottymum01. really nice selection of different colors and quality; obviously more expensive (between 12 QAR for thin simple cotton balls to about 25 QAR for nice soft wool type ones in really nice colors (Merino wool, etc.). also sort of "baby friendly" stuff and some with structure. plenty of crochet and knitting needles and hooks available. plenty of sewing machines and material as well, though not as colorful as Taliban. They got some handicraft books as well, some a bit older, some quite new. took some pictures which i cannot post here i guess. So, Singer for me. If I was into sewing/ embroidery then Taliban. Though i might go back there for buttons or other nice decorative items. Hope that was helpful to anyone. have a good day everyone. <em>edited by kirschtin on 03/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 23:46
Thanks a lot to both of you. I'll try to check the stores and give feedback. Maybe somebody else is interested. If anyone else knows where to pick up some wool for knitting/ crocheting, please post. thanks have a nice weekend ahead.
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 23:16
Try the Singer shop in the souk which is next to Al Baddi music shop. I have purchased wool there and there was quite a range available from the cheap nasty nylon to a far more superior quality. Probably not a huge John Lewis range but there was definitely wool worth buying. Good luck
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 13:01
I bought a few balls of basic wool there a couple of years back. They don't have a selection of nice wool. I think you'd be better getting some sent over via Amazon or something as I doubt you will find anything decent for use in knitting here in Doha.