May be not today but certainly over the last few weeks!,!! Little rant | ExpatWoman.com

May be not today but certainly over the last few weeks!,!! Little rant

Latest post on 12 March 2014 - 23:01

Some.....Ladies on here, have been very openly critical and judgemental all in a negative sense of the word. It quite worrying to a very new ex pat.
( thought ) This site is for information ,support, guidance and to build friendships, if that's possible??.
But from what I have witnessed,it can at times contain grown ladies, discussing issues that don't realy concern them, their families or have any great impact on their life styles yet choose to comment in a negative way...

Women raise each other up....what ever race, colour or creed.....and if we don't , then we choose to be ladies and just smile, not broadcast it...

Rant over x

Latest post on 15 March 2014 - 13:42
luckily registering again and again is a sinch! :D Not for everybody !!
Latest post on 15 March 2014 - 13:42
luckily registering again and again is a sinch! :D Not for everybody !!
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 21:22
It was intelligent debate without influence. (although i am sure some were under it)! Perish the thought!!!
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 21:21
There were quite a few catfights, but they tended to be upfront, without the passive aggressive vibe which seems to have taken over the forum recently, And it was much more entertaining! Wasn't it ! Quite the 'must read' .. Fond memories, Mrs LL aka Smokey7, Noogs even.......... Good lord Yes! They are names I'd forgotten :) Quite a lot of the others from the ' old crowd' are now personal friends, but really and truly we ' met' on this forum years ago..
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 21:10
If everyone just accepted that with the diversity on the forum, there will be different opinions. We don't have to agree, and maybe somethings don't need to be discussed. It will end up in "cat fights" (Yes I am guilty of getting involved too, guilty as charged), and it often has little to do with life in Dubai. So now let's all worry about Dubai weather as rain is pouring down here in Barsha. The weather? Are women allowed to discuss that? **Goes off to check EW forum rules...** Yep, it's allowed.
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 20:56
If everyone just accepted that with the diversity on the forum, there will be different opinions. We don't have to agree, and maybe somethings don't need to be discussed. It will end up in "cat fights" (Yes I am guilty of getting involved too, guilty as charged), and it often has little to do with life in Dubai. So now let's all worry about Dubai weather as rain is pouring down here in Barsha. The weather? Are women allowed to discuss that?
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 20:55
It was intelligent debate without influence. (although i am sure some were under it)!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 20:54
If everyone just accepted that with the diversity on the forum, there will be different opinions. We don't have to agree, and maybe somethings don't need to be discussed. It will end up in "cat fights" (Yes I am guilty of getting involved too, guilty as charged), and it often has little to do with life in Dubai. So now let's all worry about Dubai weather as rain is pouring down here in Barsha.
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 20:43
There were quite a few catfights, but they tended to be upfront, without the passive aggressive vibe which seems to have taken over the forum recently, And it was much more entertaining! Wasn't it ! Quite the 'must read' .. Fond memories, Mrs LL aka Smokey7, Noogs even..........
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 20:40
There were quite a few catfights, but they tended to be upfront, without the passive aggressive vibe which seems to have taken over the forum recently, And it was much more entertaining! Wasn't it ! Quite the 'must read' ..
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 20:38
There were quite a few catfights, but they tended to be upfront, without the passive aggressive vibe which seems to have taken over the forum recently, And it was much more entertaining!
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 20:33
That certainly wasn't the case back then LOL! I actually quite miss it... ;)
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 12:58
All i can think of is the EW radio advert running presently when i read this,
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 12:47
luckily registering again and again is a sinch! :D Wouldn't know :D
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 12:18
luckily registering again and again is a sinch! :D
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 12:04
I have been following this board for a number of years, got banned a few times in the old days too :-) Did not post much after that and only read every now and then.
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 11:32
Admin, that's all well and good but if you don't give the posters the benefit of the doubt - and just delete posts willy nilly pell mell, how can you expect other posters to do the same? And worse still, banning them with no explanation ... <em>edited by dolleymadison on 13/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 11:31
I can remember the very first post I put on here, asking about furniture stores, so I had an idea of what and where to look when I came out. I have no idea what happened, but it was deleted overnight!!!!!
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 11:26
Hi All, Thank you very much for your feedback. As you know, we do strive to maintain the right tone on here- and it is an information board not a chat board- but it is easy for the written word to be interpreted one, two or ten ways. There is a massive mix of nationalities on the forum so misunderstandings can occur- what one person may think is a completely normal comment- another person may take great offense at. This forum has helped literally hundreds of thousands of women over the years and is an invaluable resource on all topics about expat life in the UAE and beyond. There is also heaps of information in the FAQ section that is massively helpful to newbies and residents alike. There will always unfortunately be "trolls" on the internet, people trying to cause trouble or people simply with differing but strong opinions and it is easy to focus on minority negative posts than all the positive assistance, advice and support that is happening. The best advice to follow is... ignore the "trolls", try and focus on the positive, give a post the benefit of the doubt if it can be interpreted a few different ways, don't enter into arguments, and remember that we will delete anything, at any time for anyone... you can email [email protected] It's all explained in the rules and guidelines of the forum which can be found here http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_forum_rules_8392.aspx Thanks for the feedback once again and have a great day! Warm regards EW Admin
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 11:21
Interestingly my post has been deleted. I used to direct people who were moving to Dubai to this forum. But the last couple of times I have done so they have come back to me with exactly the same points as the OP. One of the ladies I directed here has been an expat in other countries for over eight years and said she has never come across such nastiness on a forum. She was concerned all women in Dubai would be like this and I had to convince her otherwise. Recently DH was headhunted for a job in Asia and I myself posted on a few forums there asking questions and had nothing but positive and helpful responses. I expected the same sort of backlash received here but instead saw nothing but helpful, constructive and kind comments. It is a shame EW cannot be the same. I am not talking about home truths here, I am talking about people asking probing questions and making uncalled for judgements on others or personal attacks. Not so long ago someone posted here asking if there was any help or where to look for help caring for her dog. She was returning to the UK for an extended period for personal reasons and her DH was staying in Dubai but occasionally had to travel for work. The dog was elderly (I mean seriously old) and unable to travel and the return to the UK was expected to only be temporary in any case. The responses she got were frankly quite horrifying. A small number of people started speculating, are you having a trial separation? Sounds like you're getting divorced? All very upsetting for her. This is the kind of thing I think the OP is talking about. This person came on here looking for genuine assistance and advice but instead some people started practically quizzing her on her personal life. What business is it of theirs? She was asking about a dog not for marriage counselling. This is why now I sadly no longer direct any newcomers to Dubai to this forum, girls will be girls is absolute nonsense. People on here are not little teenagers they are grown women. Luckily this forum is not indicative of people in Dubai, in fact of all the women I have met in Dubai only one so far has been as judgemental and unpleasant as some of the comments on this forum. An expat forum is not meant to be a tough fighting ground like a schoolyard, it is meant to be a helpful exchange of information. Perhaps before posting some of these comments posters should reconsider, is this really the impression they want to give of Dubai? Well said !!!
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 11:10
Interestingly my post has been deleted. I used to direct people who were moving to Dubai to this forum. But the last couple of times I have done so they have come back to me with exactly the same points as the OP. One of the ladies I directed here has been an expat in other countries for over eight years and said she has never come across such nastiness on a forum. She was concerned all women in Dubai would be like this and I had to convince her otherwise. Recently DH was headhunted for a job in Asia and I myself posted on a few forums there asking questions and had nothing but positive and helpful responses. I expected the same sort of backlash received here but instead saw nothing but helpful, constructive and kind comments. It is a shame EW cannot be the same. I am not talking about home truths here, I am talking about people asking probing questions and making uncalled for judgements on others or personal attacks. Not so long ago someone posted here asking if there was any help or where to look for help caring for her dog. She was returning to the UK for an extended period for personal reasons and her DH was staying in Dubai but occasionally had to travel for work. The dog was elderly (I mean seriously old) and unable to travel and the return to the UK was expected to only be temporary in any case. The responses she got were frankly quite horrifying. A small number of people started speculating, are you having a trial separation? Sounds like you're getting divorced? All very upsetting for her. This is the kind of thing I think the OP is talking about. This person came on here looking for genuine assistance and advice but instead some people started practically quizzing her on her personal life. What business is it of theirs? She was asking about a dog not for marriage counselling. This is why now I sadly no longer direct any newcomers to Dubai to this forum, girls will be girls is absolute nonsense. People on here are not little teenagers they are grown women. Luckily this forum is not indicative of people in Dubai, in fact of all the women I have met in Dubai only one so far has been as judgemental and unpleasant as some of the comments on this forum. An expat forum is not meant to be a tough fighting ground like a schoolyard, it is meant to be a helpful exchange of information. Perhaps before posting some of these comments posters should reconsider, is this really the impression they want to give of Dubai? Thank you , x restored my belief....x:)
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 11:04
Interestingly my post has been deleted. I used to direct people who were moving to Dubai to this forum. But the last couple of times I have done so they have come back to me with exactly the same points as the OP. One of the ladies I directed here has been an expat in other countries for over eight years and said she has never come across such nastiness on a forum. She was concerned all women in Dubai would be like this and I had to convince her otherwise. Recently DH was headhunted for a job in Asia and I myself posted on a few forums there asking questions and had nothing but positive and helpful responses. I expected the same sort of backlash received here but instead saw nothing but helpful, constructive and kind comments. It is a shame EW cannot be the same. I am not talking about home truths here, I am talking about people asking probing questions and making uncalled for judgements on others or personal attacks. Not so long ago someone posted here asking if there was any help or where to look for help caring for her dog. She was returning to the UK for an extended period for personal reasons and her DH was staying in Dubai but occasionally had to travel for work. The dog was elderly (I mean seriously old) and unable to travel and the return to the UK was expected to only be temporary in any case. The responses she got were frankly quite horrifying. A small number of people started speculating, are you having a trial separation? Sounds like you're getting divorced? All very upsetting for her. This is the kind of thing I think the OP is talking about. This person came on here looking for genuine assistance and advice but instead some people started practically quizzing her on her personal life. What business is it of theirs? She was asking about a dog not for marriage counselling. This is why now I sadly no longer direct any newcomers to Dubai to this forum, girls will be girls is absolute nonsense. People on here are not little teenagers they are grown women. Luckily this forum is not indicative of people in Dubai, in fact of all the women I have met in Dubai only one so far has been as judgemental and unpleasant as some of the comments on this forum. An expat forum is not meant to be a tough fighting ground like a schoolyard, it is meant to be a helpful exchange of information. Perhaps before posting some of these comments posters should reconsider, is this really the impression they want to give of Dubai?
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 10:30
Some people deliberately go on here to cause a stir. They have nothing else to do, so this is their entertainment. They love nothing better than to start a battle on EW. Some people really try and help, and perhaps their honesty may offend, but they mean well. So you have to try and pick the roses from the thorns... Well said!
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 10:21
Some people deliberately go on here to cause a stir. They have nothing else to do, so this is their entertainment. They love nothing better than to start a battle on EW. Some people really try and help, and perhaps their honesty may offend, but they mean well. So you have to try and pick the roses from the thorns... Your username makes me think you are going to pick me lol.. LOL - my username is directed at me - every time I sign in and type it, it makes me ask myself that question!!! <em>edited by YRUFAT on 13/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 10:02
get a grip comes into mind, it is a forum not a marriage. Far too many posters sitting on here all day believing this is the real world. New poster comes on states everyone's not playing nicely on a Thursday..........wow that's new! lol Meow ! X a tad hypercritical for someone coming on here and whinging that people are mean!! I know I know ..... But the irony .... Just could nt help my self ! And well it's not the "real world " is it....?
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 10:00
get a grip comes into mind, it is a forum not a marriage. Far too many posters sitting on here all day believing this is the real world. New poster comes on states everyone's not playing nicely on a Thursday..........wow that's new! lol Meow ! X a tad hypercritical for someone coming on here and whinging that people are mean!!
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 09:57
get a grip comes into mind, it is a forum not a marriage. Far too many posters sitting on here all day believing this is the real world. New poster comes on states everyone's not playing nicely on a Thursday..........wow that's new! lol Meow ! X
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 09:47
get a grip comes into mind, it is a forum not a marriage. Far too many posters sitting on here all day believing this is the real world. New poster comes on states everyone's not playing nicely on a Thursday..........wow that's new! lol
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 09:46
Thank you ALL, for the feed back. Not that I was expecting any! It made a interesting read. I think I was misinterpreted or may be I didn't make my point very clear..... I am and do possess a very thick skin. I also know how to handle those who think writing a few brief sentences about how they are correct in most matters is very humouring ! But options are like rectums, we all have one....I just find when it comes to judging others choices and how people choose to live their lives, then discussing it on here is inappropriate and shouldn't be open to debate.... This is where it makes me a tad uncomfortable.... But thanks to all the kitties and de clawed oldies, as some one put it :)
Latest post on 13 March 2014 - 08:54
This was a proper lioness' den a while ago, posters ripped to shreds, others chased off to lick wounds (and nurse grudges). Oftentimes the OP would have long disappeared while the thread rages on days later. Now only mewing little kitties and a few de-clawed oldies are to be spotted.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY