Nail Technician Salaries | ExpatWoman.com

Nail Technician Salaries

Latest post on 15 March 2014 - 01:15

Hi all,

I'm new here so just want to say hello to you all before I ask my question.

My partner is currently living and working in Oman and we're looking at the options of me moving out there to be with him (I'm currently in the UK).

I've just been to Muscat and had an interview for a salon nail technician's job. They've told me they are set up to arrange work visas and I've got to go back to them with my salary expectation. However, I don't have any idea what British nail technicians are paid in Muscat and I'm struggling to find anything on Google.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this (perhaps you're working as a nail technician) and also what I should expect in the package, e.g. allowance, health insurance, etc.

I'd be very grateful for some help with this as I need to get back to them soon.

Thanks,

willows84 :)
<em>edited by willows84 on 15/03/2014</em>

Latest post on 10 May 2014 - 23:09
Hi there, its ok :) One thing though re the visa - is it partner as in husband because if its not then you really will have to find employment here that provides you with a visa. There is no other way. Re Marketing - I think it would be very difficult. Im sorry if I sound like a Grinch. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 10/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 06 May 2014 - 22:37
Ok. Figures are approx 400 salary, 250 housing, 50 for travel, 30 for utilities. Then there is a sliding scale of commision. Hi DesertRose1958, Thank you very much for your reply to my question and I'm sorry I've taken so long to reply but I was visiting Oman over Easter and just recently got back to the UK. Having enquired about salaries at another salon and doing some research, I've decided it may be best to look at my other options as I'm only just starting out in nails and my actual career is in marketing. I'm a bit concerned, however, having read about female visas taking months to sort out!! <em>edited by willows84 on 06/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 March 2014 - 10:01
Ok. Figures are approx 400 salary, 250 housing, 50 for travel, 30 for utilities. Then there is a sliding scale of commision.
Latest post on 21 March 2014 - 12:23
I think you are being spun a yarn by the people you spoke to due to current visa restrictions in all but vital services such as nursing/teaching. I suspect they want to lure you in and have you hanging around waiting for the many months its now taking to process female visa applications. During the waiting period they would more than likely expect you to work illegally and just keep you hanging on and on in a difficult situation. You need to ask the Salon owner from now if the already have a Female Madoonyia (labour clearance) ready and waiting to be utilized, and it just needs your name on it, or if its a process thay are going to have to start undertaking from now. If its the latter - good luck to them because it is currently taking months. You would also have to ask if you were going to be employed on a local contract or expat one. It will matter when it comes to your package. But that aside I doubt they would pay you any more than peanuts either way due to the nature of the beauty game in Muscat. Its why there are next to no British nail techs etc in town even though Muscat abounds with Salons, and the few who are here very rarely stay in the same salon for any length of time due to it being such a cut throat and nasty industry. As an employer of a few European young women in 2 different professions I think you should be saying to the Salon owner - you tell me what you are willing to offer and what my contract would be on the basis of and expat employee, or local employee - as in you were hired here in Muscat as the trailing wife? of someone and you should be grateful that you have a job and visa let alone anything else. I will ask a salon owner friend whats what and get back to you later today if possible. And don't worry its not my friend who interviewed you. :)