Advice for a 20 something? | ExpatWoman.com

Advice for a 20 something?

Latest post on 15 March 2014 - 10:42

Good morning,

I'm a 27 year old freelancer in the media field and I'm finding it really hard to make friends because of my wacky and unpredictable work schedule. It's inconsistent and not really conductive to creating any friendships. I'm not sure if this forum is mostly directed at mothers but I thought I would try my luck anyway.
I read somewhere about the coffee mornings that are organized through the site but am afraid to feel out of place in terms of age range/interests etc.

Also, I live in the JLT area and was wondering if anyone could suggest any nice activities such as yoga or some kind of class I could join since I don't drive here and it would be more convenient if it were around.

Thanks for reading!

Latest post on 16 March 2014 - 13:58
Thanks so much for your replies. I'll check out meetup.com and real pilates. I've gotten a couple of replies as well which is nice because it helps to feel less alone in this place where everyone is either busy or leaving the country! Be careful with some of the Meetup groups as they can be a little sleazy and lots of men on the lookout for a good time ( if you know what I mean)
Latest post on 16 March 2014 - 13:01
Thanks so much for your replies. I'll check out meetup.com and real pilates. I've gotten a couple of replies as well which is nice because it helps to feel less alone in this place where everyone is either busy or leaving the country!
Latest post on 15 March 2014 - 12:20
Have you tried meetup.com? Im a foodie, so I went for a food related meetup group event, it was interesting to note that most of the people who came were relatively new in Dubai who were probably looking to make friends & I could already see some people hit it off! Put in a search for your interests or even JLT, and you will find groups relevant to what you are looking for. <em>edited by ajfa on 15/03/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 15 March 2014 - 12:15
Real Pilates I think is located in JLT. Also, there might be a JLT Facebook page with events and discussions. Would have a look there. Hope you meet some like minded people soon:)
Latest post on 15 March 2014 - 12:00
There's a few gyms and stuff in JLT, one that has recently opened up called OP integrated lifestyle centre or something equally long winded! There'll be fitness enthusiasts there a plenty. Yoga I'm not sure about... But what other interests do you have? We have a friend who has moved out literally this weekend, he's a Personal trainer so his hours are crazy (actually, a few of our recent movers here have that same issue). Cliched though it sounds I have made friends just through the gym and going out places... This is easier for me though I guess cuz I'm married. We're all getting together this afternoon, (ha, by all, I mean about 5 of us) but our ages are 24-37, I'm the only one who works 9-5 sun- Thursday... If you wanna join (sounds a bit odd I guess) but you're more than welcome.... Thanks so much for your reply and invite! i would love to join but not sure i can make it this afternoon. we can exchange emails/numbers if you're interested? i'm at me.n.my.friend @ gmail dot com <em>edited by doralange on 15/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 15 March 2014 - 11:37
There's a few gyms and stuff in JLT, one that has recently opened up called OP integrated lifestyle centre or something equally long winded! There'll be fitness enthusiasts there a plenty. Yoga I'm not sure about... But what other interests do you have? We have a friend who has moved out literally this weekend, he's a Personal trainer so his hours are crazy (actually, a few of our recent movers here have that same issue). Cliched though it sounds I have made friends just through the gym and going out places... This is easier for me though I guess cuz I'm married. We're all getting together this afternoon, (ha, by all, I mean about 5 of us) but our ages are 24-37, I'm the only one who works 9-5 sun- Thursday... If you wanna join (sounds a bit odd I guess) but you're more than welcome....

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY