The actual cost of living?! | ExpatWoman.com

The actual cost of living?!

Latest post on 25 March 2014 - 15:16

How long is a piece of string is how I would probably sum up my question, but I was hoping for some up to date information about living costs in Dubai.

My hubster has been offered a job and I'm looking for some advice on whether it would be enough to support us. We do have a bit of cash in the bank, but am counting on that for an up-front rent payment and paying some ongoing bills back in the UK for a bit.

We live very modestly, with not much frivolity in our lives as we have a 2 year old son. We would be looking for a 2 bed apartment (accom not provided but a 4000AED is his allowance). We would also have to furnish an apartment (unless we could ship our own furniture - not sure of costs though!) and we'd ideally like to have a car...nothing too fancy to start.

It looks like (initially) I won't be working however I'm still hoping to secure employment in the coming months.

I guess my questions are:
Could we survive comfortably on 22k a month or would it be a stretch?
If I was to get a job, how quick and easy is it to hire a live-out nanny/maid?
Are we silly to consider it if only one of us is employed?

My heart is saying 'just do it!', but my head is holding out judgement!

Any advice appreciated!!

Thanks

Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 08:23
True, but if you don't have to leave the area every morning or can take the metro, which is very close by, then it could work... yes it could work but not a great area.....
Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 08:19
True, but if you don't have to leave the area every morning or can take the metro, which is very close by, then it could work...
Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 08:17
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 Personally, i wouldn't say that was a "great" area..... edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/04/2014 What don't you find great about that area? Think that is obvious to most people and really doesn't need to be said. I apologise, I only know it's roughly in Deira old Dubai area. I have no knowledge how the area is, just for me knowledge can you share what is it anyway? I used to live there. It's not a bad area at all and I did like living there. It is a very busy area with very few Westerners and you have everything so close by, which is very convenient. However, the biggest drawback for me was that the traffic is really bad in that area and there is no way you can escape it. Thousands of people leave their apartments every morning at the same time and you are stuck with them. Which is why it is not a great area to live!!!
Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 08:16
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 Personally, i wouldn't say that was a "great" area..... edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/04/2014 What don't you find great about that area? Think that is obvious to most people and really doesn't need to be said. I apologise, I only know it's roughly in Deira old Dubai area. I have no knowledge how the area is, just for me knowledge can you share what is it anyway? I used to live there. It's not a bad area at all and I did like living there. It is a very busy area with very few Westerners and you have everything so close by, which is very convenient. However, the biggest drawback for me was that the traffic is really bad in that area and there is no way you can escape it. Thousands of people leave their apartments every morning at the same time and you are stuck with them.
Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 07:49
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 Personally, i wouldn't say that was a "great" area..... edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/04/2014 What don't you find great about that area? Think that is obvious to most people and really doesn't need to be said. I apologise, I only know it's roughly in Deira old Dubai area. I have no knowledge how the area is, just for me knowledge can you share what is it anyway?
Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 07:45
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 Personally, i wouldn't say that was a "great" area..... edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/04/2014 What don't you find great about that area? Think that is obvious to most people and really doesn't need to be said.
Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 07:45
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 Personally, i wouldn't say that was a "great" area..... edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/04/2014 What don't you find great about that area? Think that is obvious to most people and really doesn't need to be said.
Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 07:33
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 Personally, i wouldn't say that was a "great" area..... edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/04/2014 What don't you find great about that area?
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 23:42
Congrats trish82 and veela :)
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 23:28
thanks to all, I cant' wait to come as well...
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 23:10
So, just to change the topic ever so slightly...I got offered a job today! Hopefully be out with you lovely ladies in mid August!!!!! Aaaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhh!!!!
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 20:49
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 Personally, i wouldn't say that was a "great" area..... edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/04/2014 you are entitled to your opinion.
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 20:36
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 Personally, i wouldn't say that was a "great" area..... <em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 09/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 19:49
Jemi, you suggested that figure and i suggested this is not a school choice most westerners would be prepared to accept. This poster has to work rent and two sets of school fees out of that salary, if you had kids in secondary here you would understand that school fees eat up salaries.
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 18:16
Thanks for the information Jemi.
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 17:31
Hi Veela - a bit confused. You initially said you were moving to Dubai but thinking of living in Sharjah. Now you are saying you have a job in AD? These are 3 different Emirates/cities and all very different. The commute can be 1- 1.5 hours from Dubai to AD or Dubai to Sharjah (They are in opposite directions - Dubai in middle) Dubai is most westernised and family friendly and has more major facilities. Abu Dhabi is developing fast but is a bit more conservative than Dubai but still some nice neighbourhoods but also expensive. Sharjah is more conservative (dry too) and traditional but less expensive. I wouldnt live there but some people dont mind the commute for the cheaper rent. Personally I wouldnt leave Croatia for Sharjah..... Dubai and AD - depends on your circumstances. Life here is nice but expensive so you need to budget carefully before you decide. School and rent are very costly.... The slary you mentioned wont go far with 3 kids unless school and/or accommodation are provided by company. If you have to pay 3 sets of school fees and accomodation that will probably eat up around 20k of your salary each month before cars/groceries/bills going out etc The best advice I can give you is to come over for a few days and look around before you decide anything. To make things clear: I was offered a job in AD for 37000 and one in Sharjah for 50000/month and considered taking the one in Sharjah and living in Dubai, then I saw the real estate market and thought we could live in Sharjah as well. Since it is close to Dubai on the map I thought that Dubai would be at our disposal on everyday basis. Schools make me nervous since my kids are 13, 10 and the youngest 3. My husband would be staying at home with the little one. Do you think it is doable on 50 000 AED without thinking "can we afford this"? I am not really coming there for the sake of the money, it would be nice to take something home in a couple of years, but I would be satisfied if my kids just learned perfect english and if we had easy life on that way. I think you are getting a great offer. The Sharjah one is even better than the Abu Dhabi offer because cost of living in Sharjah is lower than Abu Dhabi. Rents are higher in Abu Dhabi. However, you'll need to consider the job profiles as well to see which is better. You can find out about school costs by doing a google search. In general, school fees range from below 1000 AED per month to several thousand per month. I don't think school fees will be a problem with your salary. You can contact schools in advance and get information from them directly instead of trying to get information from a forum like this where you don't even know whether the people replying are truthful and sincere or not! Rents are not very high and with your salary you can easily pay the rent of a good apartment or villa in a good area. Sharjah rents are lower. You can learn about rents in gulfnews.com property section. If you need any other information, feel free to contact me. I believe you have gotten an excellent opportunity and should definitely go for it. I myself live in Dubai, pay 4000 AED rent for a fabulous 2BR apartment in a great area (although rents have increased now so the a similar apartment may cost newcomers some 6000 per month ) and my other monthly expenses are under 5000 AED. I do well on a budget of 10,000 AED. Your can expect something similar for rent and household expenses + children's school fees and car rental or installments, etc. You'll do great with the 50,000 salary and will do well with the 37,000 salary. Oh and by the way, there are people living here on salaries under 5000 AED so you should consider the offer you're getting a blessing. Definately go for it. If you like, you can ask for a shorter contract term to test the ground. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 You speak as someone who lives in an apartment without three sets of school fees to pay. The school fees and rent will be the deciding factor. Education for 1000 dhs a month is not exactly what most westerners feel adequate, to be diplomatic about it. I don't see why she has to accept a 1000 AED/month school for her children with a AED 50,000 per month salary.
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 17:29
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks. I live in the Al-Nahda 2 area of Dubai. Rents ranged from AED 48,000 - 55,000 when I was renting this apartment. I've heard rents have gone up since Dubai won EXPO 2020, so you'll need to find out what the current rents are. <em>edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 15:38
Hi Veela - a bit confused. You initially said you were moving to Dubai but thinking of living in Sharjah. Now you are saying you have a job in AD? These are 3 different Emirates/cities and all very different. The commute can be 1- 1.5 hours from Dubai to AD or Dubai to Sharjah (They are in opposite directions - Dubai in middle) Dubai is most westernised and family friendly and has more major facilities. Abu Dhabi is developing fast but is a bit more conservative than Dubai but still some nice neighbourhoods but also expensive. Sharjah is more conservative (dry too) and traditional but less expensive. I wouldnt live there but some people dont mind the commute for the cheaper rent. Personally I wouldnt leave Croatia for Sharjah..... Dubai and AD - depends on your circumstances. Life here is nice but expensive so you need to budget carefully before you decide. School and rent are very costly.... The slary you mentioned wont go far with 3 kids unless school and/or accommodation are provided by company. If you have to pay 3 sets of school fees and accomodation that will probably eat up around 20k of your salary each month before cars/groceries/bills going out etc The best advice I can give you is to come over for a few days and look around before you decide anything. To make things clear: I was offered a job in AD for 37000 and one in Sharjah for 50000/month and considered taking the one in Sharjah and living in Dubai, then I saw the real estate market and thought we could live in Sharjah as well. Since it is close to Dubai on the map I thought that Dubai would be at our disposal on everyday basis. Schools make me nervous since my kids are 13, 10 and the youngest 3. My husband would be staying at home with the little one. Do you think it is doable on 50 000 AED without thinking "can we afford this"? I am not really coming there for the sake of the money, it would be nice to take something home in a couple of years, but I would be satisfied if my kids just learned perfect english and if we had easy life on that way. I think you are getting a great offer. The Sharjah one is even better than the Abu Dhabi offer because cost of living in Sharjah is lower than Abu Dhabi. Rents are higher in Abu Dhabi. However, you'll need to consider the job profiles as well to see which is better. You can find out about school costs by doing a google search. In general, school fees range from below 1000 AED per month to several thousand per month. I don't think school fees will be a problem with your salary. You can contact schools in advance and get information from them directly instead of trying to get information from a forum like this where you don't even know whether the people replying are truthful and sincere or not! Rents are not very high and with your salary you can easily pay the rent of a good apartment or villa in a good area. Sharjah rents are lower. You can learn about rents in gulfnews.com property section. If you need any other information, feel free to contact me. I believe you have gotten an excellent opportunity and should definitely go for it. I myself live in Dubai, pay 4000 AED rent for a fabulous 2BR apartment in a great area (although rents have increased now so the a similar apartment may cost newcomers some 6000 per month ) and my other monthly expenses are under 5000 AED. I do well on a budget of 10,000 AED. Your can expect something similar for rent and household expenses + children's school fees and car rental or installments, etc. You'll do great with the 50,000 salary and will do well with the 37,000 salary. Oh and by the way, there are people living here on salaries under 5000 AED so you should consider the offer you're getting a blessing. Definately go for it. If you like, you can ask for a shorter contract term to test the ground. edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014 You speak as someone who lives in an apartment without three sets of school fees to pay. The school fees and rent will be the deciding factor. Education for 1000 dhs a month is not exactly what most westerners feel adequate, to be diplomatic about it.
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 15:08
I think everyone would like to know where you can get a 2 bed for 4k in a fabulous area of Dubai :-)
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 15:05
@ jemi - would you mind sharing the building/area where you rent your apartment? I am looking for something similarly priced for an employee who will soon be coming over to Dubai. Many thanks.
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 14:50
Veela - I get it now! The Sharjah offer sounds best for sure and there are some good schools up that way Hope all goes well :)
Latest post on 09 April 2014 - 14:43
Hi Veela - a bit confused. You initially said you were moving to Dubai but thinking of living in Sharjah. Now you are saying you have a job in AD? These are 3 different Emirates/cities and all very different. The commute can be 1- 1.5 hours from Dubai to AD or Dubai to Sharjah (They are in opposite directions - Dubai in middle) Dubai is most westernised and family friendly and has more major facilities. Abu Dhabi is developing fast but is a bit more conservative than Dubai but still some nice neighbourhoods but also expensive. Sharjah is more conservative (dry too) and traditional but less expensive. I wouldnt live there but some people dont mind the commute for the cheaper rent. Personally I wouldnt leave Croatia for Sharjah..... Dubai and AD - depends on your circumstances. Life here is nice but expensive so you need to budget carefully before you decide. School and rent are very costly.... The slary you mentioned wont go far with 3 kids unless school and/or accommodation are provided by company. If you have to pay 3 sets of school fees and accomodation that will probably eat up around 20k of your salary each month before cars/groceries/bills going out etc The best advice I can give you is to come over for a few days and look around before you decide anything. To make things clear: I was offered a job in AD for 37000 and one in Sharjah for 50000/month and considered taking the one in Sharjah and living in Dubai, then I saw the real estate market and thought we could live in Sharjah as well. Since it is close to Dubai on the map I thought that Dubai would be at our disposal on everyday basis. Schools make me nervous since my kids are 13, 10 and the youngest 3. My husband would be staying at home with the little one. Do you think it is doable on 50 000 AED without thinking "can we afford this"? I am not really coming there for the sake of the money, it would be nice to take something home in a couple of years, but I would be satisfied if my kids just learned perfect english and if we had easy life on that way. I think you are getting a great offer. The Sharjah one is even better than the Abu Dhabi offer because cost of living in Sharjah is lower than Abu Dhabi. Rents are higher in Abu Dhabi. However, you'll need to consider the job profiles as well to see which is better. You can find out about school costs by doing a google search. In general, school fees range from below 1000 AED per month to several thousand per month. I don't think school fees will be a problem with your salary. You can contact schools in advance and get information from them directly instead of trying to get information from a forum like this where you don't even know whether the people replying are truthful and sincere or not! Rents are not very high and with your salary you can easily pay the rent of a good apartment or villa in a good area. Sharjah rents are lower. You can learn about rents in gulfnews.com property section. If you need any other information, feel free to contact me. I believe you have gotten an excellent opportunity and should definitely go for it. I myself live in Dubai, pay 4000 AED rent for a fabulous 2BR apartment in a great area (although rents have increased now so the a similar apartment may cost newcomers some 6000 per month ) and my other monthly expenses are under 5000 AED. I do well on a budget of 10,000 AED. Your can expect something similar for rent and household expenses + children's school fees and car rental or installments, etc. You'll do great with the 50,000 salary and will do well with the 37,000 salary. Oh and by the way, there are people living here on salaries under 5000 AED so you should consider the offer you're getting a blessing. Definately go for it. If you like, you can ask for a shorter contract term to test the ground. <em>edited by Jemi on 09/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 19:42
As others mentioned, Sharjah, Ajman, even Umm al Q...Sharjah has good international schools(British and Australian) and no housing fee(5% of your rent annually). Don't know if u are living in Zagreb or coast, but one can expect similar if not higher prices for school as the only international school in the capital.Sretno!
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 19:24
tnx to all.
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 19:09
Hi Veela, Since your looking at a job in Sharjah @ AED 50k per month, you could look at properties in Ajman. A 3 bhk apartment would cost between AED 55 to 75k annually. Schools are cheaper in these emirates as I have been told and there are many good schools there. Dubai is an expensive city to live in with no guarantee on rental increases. In Sharjah for the first 3 years there is no rental increase and in ajman for the first 2 years there is no increase. Utilities are cheaper too as there is no additional tax such as housing fees which we pay in dubai and is about 5% of your annual rent. Dubai is not far from these emirates. My MIL lives in Ajman (works there) and she happily comes to dubai on a regular basis, takes her about 1/2 hr and she does not speed. Think you should first look into schools and costs pertaining to them first, as everyone has mentioned, schools fees take quite a bit. Speak to your company to see if they cover school fees, as a few companies do so. Personally speaking, I think you can manage it as long as you do not get caught up with the glamorous side of this place. This could be outdated, not sure, but here is a link to EW school fees in sharjah. http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_sharjah_school_fees_8848.aspx
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 18:54
I live in Buhairah (sharjah lagoon area), I pay AED 120, 000 for rent for a 400 sqm 4 bedrooms apartment , my son goes to Ajman Academy, there are good schools that offer IB curriculum like Victoria international school & the Australian school in sharjah. We go to dubai in the evenings only, life is not bad here, there are nice outdoor areas like al majaz waterfront & qasba for kids to play, there are parks, & sahara mall is ok, 50, 000 is a good salary to live in Sharjah, schools offer after school clubs &activities anyway, so you don't really need clubs. My kid who's 4 goes to swimming classes at school, piano classes & brain obrain abacus classes, when he's bored I take him down stairs with his bike or scooter for a walk around the lagoon.
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 18:37
Hi Veela - a bit confused. You initially said you were moving to Dubai but thinking of living in Sharjah. Now you are saying you have a job in AD? These are 3 different Emirates/cities and all very different. The commute can be 1- 1.5 hours from Dubai to AD or Dubai to Sharjah (They are in opposite directions - Dubai in middle) Dubai is most westernised and family friendly and has more major facilities. Abu Dhabi is developing fast but is a bit more conservative than Dubai but still some nice neighbourhoods but also expensive. Sharjah is more conservative (dry too) and traditional but less expensive. I wouldnt live there but some people dont mind the commute for the cheaper rent. Personally I wouldnt leave Croatia for Sharjah..... Dubai and AD - depends on your circumstances. Life here is nice but expensive so you need to budget carefully before you decide. School and rent are very costly.... The slary you mentioned wont go far with 3 kids unless school and/or accommodation are provided by company. If you have to pay 3 sets of school fees and accomodation that will probably eat up around 20k of your salary each month before cars/groceries/bills going out etc The best advice I can give you is to come over for a few days and look around before you decide anything. To make things clear: I was offered a job in AD for 37000 and one in Sharjah for 50000/month and considered taking the one in Sharjah and living in Dubai, then I saw the real estate market and thought we could live in Sharjah as well. Since it is close to Dubai on the map I thought that Dubai would be at our disposal on everyday basis. Schools make me nervous since my kids are 13, 10 and the youngest 3. My husband would be staying at home with the little one. Do you think it is doable on 50 000 AED without thinking "can we afford this"? I am not really coming there for the sake of the money, it would be nice to take something home in a couple of years, but I would be satisfied if my kids just learned perfect english and if we had easy life on that way.
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 18:28
Layan and Al Waha are great although prices have gone up a bit recently. Look under Dubai properties for Layan and Al Waha is individual landlords. Remraan is Dubai properties as well so I think facilities will go in eventually. Access from Layan and Al Waha to anywhere in Dubai is pretty quick and easy.
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 18:03
@buddha: just a question to Dubailand. I had a look at Remraam. The flats are great and half of the price of greens, old town etc. But no facilities, no gym, no supermarket, no caffee. Are there other areas in Dubailand with this faclities?
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 17:43
Absolutely nothing wrong with living in Dubailand. I do and it's great. A tad more commuting but love it. Some people want to be right in thick of things which probably explains previous comments. As said it depends on age of your children. I suggest you look at the info re cost of different schools which you will find under the education link on this forum. You can then approximate your school g costs. Bear in mind that many schools have no available places at minute and it is often the more expensive schools which still have places. If you are working in Sharjah you cpuld consider renting and schooling in RAK and commuting to Sharjah. Schools and housing are cheaper there. Re buying, lots of reasons why people don't buy but moan reason for me is that if something goes wrong and one defaults on mortgage then you go to jail. As kiten67 said you really need to come and visit and look at the different areas. Like Dubailand, not so sure I would like Sharjah but not really spent any time there so can't really comment.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY