Refusing to nap nightmare after losing dummy | ExpatWoman.com

Refusing to nap nightmare after losing dummy

Latest post on 30 March 2014 - 16:04

Need some advice ladies.
Last Wed my almost three year old son gave his dummy to the tooth fairy....we had talked about it for a long time and he decided that day he wanted to do it so we left it out and he got a present etc.
First night was an absolute fluke, he slept all night no problem after a few whinges at bedtime and we thought we'd got off pretty easy considering how much he loved his dummies. Next day was a nightmare basically screamed and refused to nap and night sleep was up constantly crying. The day after the same. Yesterday I thought we had broken through as he actually napped and slept fairly well at night but today again the screaming and refusal to nap or even have quiet time in his room.
Not sure what to do as this was a kid who would happily run to his room until a few days ago and sleep for a good 2-2.5 hours....I always had to wake him up....so I find it hard to believe he's ready to drop his nap. I know I can keep him up and put him to bed earlier but he then gets cranky all afternoon and won't get to see my husband who gets home between 7-730 and leaves super early in the morning. Our old routine was nap from 2-430ish, and then bed about 815 after playing with daddy and bath etc.
Any advice? Feeling exhausted and very disheartened although definitely not tempted to give the dummy back!

Latest post on 31 March 2014 - 07:37
Yeah DS loved his nap too, he'd still nap if I let him but our problem was he would nap for 3 hours and eventually that meant he wouldn't fall asleep at night until nearly 10pm sometimes so it had to go, shorter nap was never an option, if I woke him mid nap he'd go crazy! Good luck!
Latest post on 30 March 2014 - 19:23
Good idea kiwis, can't really force it anyway! Thing is he was such a big sleeper if I'd waited for him to drop his nap first he would have been four and with a dummy, he really was that good a sleeper who just used to run to his room for a nap!
Latest post on 30 March 2014 - 17:27
We deliberately waited until after DS dropped his naps to take the dummy away, which made it a bit easier. What you could try is no nap for a week, so he is super tired at bedtime (yes he will be cranky). You might have to lie in the room with him at night until he passes out and again during the night ;) Once he has become used to sleeping without the dummy (a week or two), you should hopefully be able to bring back the nap?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY