Anyone flown with Gulf Air? | ExpatWoman.com

Anyone flown with Gulf Air?

Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 18:14
Thank you...we are going to give it a go after reading some reviews. While the stopover will add an extra get off and on scenario my son enjoys take off and different planes so hopefully it will go well. The late night flight shall hopefully avoid the distractions of IFE and he will snooze. Also looked at KLM but don't fancy 7 hours in Amsterdam in transit.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 15:02
I flew with them once, it's fine as an airline. I was like you - I found the price attractive and there was a one hour stopover in Bahrain. However, since that trip I only fly direct now (so no more Gulf Air) as the stopover is a nuisance and elongates the trip. But with 5 tickets White Orchid not a bad choice.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 14:50
Yes I did book it! Paid under 10k for a family of 5 to fly to Paris, stopping off in Bahrain. Risk is that we might miss our connection but never mind... we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed lol!! I read a few reviews of Gulf Air and to be fair they sound fine. Not EK but we'll just load up on distractions for the kids and hope for the best :-) <em>edited by WhiteOrchid on 18/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 07:07
Bringing up this post again to inquire if the OP booked or if anyone else could inform of flying to LHR with a 5 year old. With a 4000Dhs saving tempted to book but looking at the time in transit in Bahrain which varies but a late night flight would be quicker.
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 05:09
DR and Nomad, with all due respect, the GF of olden days (40 yrs ago) was superb. Today those foundations have crumbled and everything is about cost for them, they have cut so many corners now, it is a shell. I would never put myself through the torture just to cut costs. EK cabin crew are rude, but my flights are always on time. I flew with GA until very recently and it had nothing to do with cost. It was all about the experience. As for EK - you must be really lucky because I frequently experience delays when flying with them and I only do if there is no other choice. Not because of anything bad, just because Oman Air is my national carrier, it goes where I want to travel to, and the support keeps our people in jobs. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 08/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 April 2014 - 22:06
EK cabin crew are rude, but my flights are always on time. We've suffered plenty of delays with EK. But the main reason we don't usually fly with them any more is their ridiculous pricing. Their service simply is not good enough to justify their crazy prices, but while there are enough people daft enough to pay them, they'll keep charging like rhinos.
Latest post on 07 April 2014 - 18:09
DR and Nomad, with all due respect, the GF of olden days (40 yrs ago) was superb. Today those foundations have crumbled and everything is about cost for them, they have cut so many corners now, it is a shell. I would never put myself through the torture just to cut costs. EK cabin crew are rude, but my flights are always on time. Absolutely agree it is a mere shell of what it used to be. As I said in my post the fancy frills may have been cut back ;) , I was referring to the issue of safety that had been brought up. As OP commented she can save 10 k, this may not be a big deal for some but for others living on a tight budget it can make all the difference. Just to add ,on time arrivals are no guarantee with a any airline, there are so many things that can cause delays.......;) <em>edited by Nomad on 07/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 April 2014 - 12:43
My brother traveled by Gulf Air recently and he was saying that it wasn't a great experience. Flights are on time and all, but the cabin crew were rude and the food was terribly bad.
Latest post on 07 April 2014 - 10:22
DR and Nomad, with all due respect, the GF of olden days (40 yrs ago) was superb. Today those foundations have crumbled and everything is about cost for them, they have cut so many corners now, it is a shell. I would never put myself through the torture just to cut costs. EK cabin crew are rude, but my flights are always on time.
Latest post on 07 April 2014 - 07:42
I've had good experiences on their newer aircrafts, with manageable delays (45 - 60 minutes). It's a good carrier, and cannot be compared with EK who are the leading global carrier for years. [url=http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/162095/'>Here's a good review [/url'>of the entire flight experience for a long range flight in Economy with photos. Bite the GA bullet and save yourself AED 10K. It's worth it.
Latest post on 07 April 2014 - 03:22
I yearn for the days when Gulf Air took me and my special boy on his jaunts. The crews we flew with were absolutely second to none with him and they will forever have my respect and admiration, as well as a place in my heart. We only stopped flying with them because of a timetable change and the stopover became too long and ss it is he will probably never fly again due to ill health. Safety wise - Gulf Air was the pilot training ground of the Middle East and the place from where the likes of Emirates/ Etihad/Oman Air got their pilots. Gulf Air pilots are way up there with the best. There engineers arent bad either :) and it was men of my husbands generation and aquantance who went off years ago to train in Scotland. The engineering foundation in GA is sound and was laid down years ago. Many of the original lot are retired now but equally many have moved to Emirates/itihad/Oman Air into very senior positions. GA brought me to this region almost 40 years ago. My son and son in law flew with them before coming home due to the unrest in Bahrain, never have I been afraid to board a Gulf Air aircraft and I certainly would never have got on one with my boy if I had concerns. Hth edited by DesertRose1958 on 06/04/2014 edited by DesertRose1958 on 06/04/2014 You said it all DR.......some of the happiest times of my and my family's life we owe to Gulf Air. DH flew for them many years back and with the training and experience he got from them, was able to operate all over the world at an extremely high standard. As you say most of the ME airlines today can thank Gulf Air as many of their original management and pilots originated there.The fancy frills may not be as plentiful but from a safety point of view DH and I would fly with them any day......
Latest post on 07 April 2014 - 00:29
Bad experience with my older daughter took Gulf air last wed to Paris. 2 hours delayed, she missed the connection, was sent to Qatar and it took in total 21 hours to reach Paris Here is the news - every single airline in the world is subject to unfortunate and inconvenient delays at times. Doesn't matter how much you pay for your seat, if the plane is delayed, you're delayed with it. Want to fly with an airline that has never suffered delays or missed connections? You're out of luck, no such airline exists.
Latest post on 06 April 2014 - 17:31
I yearn for the days when Gulf Air took me and my special boy on his jaunts. The crews we flew with were absolutely second to none with him and they will forever have my respect and admiration, as well as a place in my heart. We only stopped flying with them because of a timetable change and the stopover became too long and ss it is he will probably never fly again due to ill health. Safety wise - Gulf Air was the pilot training ground of the Middle East and the place from where the likes of Emirates/ Etihad/Oman Air got their pilots. Gulf Air pilots are way up there with the best. There engineers arent bad either :) and it was men of my husbands generation and aquantance who went off years ago to train in Scotland. The engineering foundation in GA is sound and was laid down years ago. Many of the original lot are retired now but equally many have moved to Emirates/itihad/Oman Air into very senior positions. GA brought me to this region almost 40 years ago. My son and son in law flew with them before coming home due to the unrest in Bahrain, never have I been afraid to board a Gulf Air aircraft and I certainly would never have got on one with my boy if I had concerns. Hth edited by DesertRose1958 on 06/04/2014 <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 06/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 06 April 2014 - 15:30
Bad experience with my older daughter took Gulf air last wed to Paris. 2 hours delayed, she missed the connection, was sent to Qatar and it took in total 21 hours to reach Paris . , she insisted to have another option in Qatar otherwise she would had stayed one night and half day to get the plane......
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 20:14
For me safety was a big factor, and I felt more comfortable with EK on this Why? Given that you're opining that GA is less safe than EK, you really need to back that up. edited by Madge_Gustard on 02/04/2014 Good call MG.
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 20:00
For me safety was a big factor, and I felt more comfortable with EK on this Why? Given that you're opining that GA is less safe than EK, you really need to back that up. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 02/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 10:59
I had a friend fly business class to London and said it was just about bearable! LOL, talk about 'First World Problems'
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 10:37
I've just been through this same decision process, and in the end I stuck with EK. For me safety was a big factor, and I felt more comfortable with EK on this. Also Emirates schedule and direct flights make travelling on your own with kids just a bit more bearable.
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 10:17
GA is fine, not sure what the fuss is about.
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 10:14
I used to fly with them quite often and it was ok for the price. We had a Get Used to Late Flights experience and missed the connection to LHR. They booked us into an awful place in the city, (rooms rented by the hour.) Lots of people complained and we were generously compensated, I'd use them again if the price was OK
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 08:22
We've flown Gulf Air to and from the UK many times. For our money it's on a par with EK, Brunei, Virgin etc. We stopped flying EK because of their insane price hikes, their in-flight service doesn't come close to justifying them. The sole downside is the need to transit through Bahrain.
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 01:25
I flown few times with them in the last 2 years, the trip from DXB to BAH was in old airplanes most of the time, but it didn't bother me as it was for 45 minutes, while the trip to Europe was fair enough, honestly if you do not mind the transit in BAH, you can take it. Good Luck
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 00:02
I have flown Gulf air several times and as has been stated - you get what you pay for service wise, however, on one trip, Bahrain to Amman, there was a security problem, a young man panicked and decided he wanted to get off the plane mid flight and tried to open the rear door. The cabin staff handled the situation quickly and efficiently with minimum noise and comotion, the plane continued to its destination where federal police met the aircraft and took over. The cabin crew were to be congratulated for their response - obviously well trained for emergency procedures. Sometimes people just go mental, I had a similar story while cruising a couple of years ago a lady said she wanted to "go out for a walk" in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, she was disembarked on the next port. Glad the cabin crew was able to control the situation.
Latest post on 01 April 2014 - 17:57
I have flown Gulf air several times and as has been stated - you get what you pay for service wise, however, on one trip, Bahrain to Amman, there was a security problem, a young man panicked and decided he wanted to get off the plane mid flight and tried to open the rear door. The cabin staff handled the situation quickly and efficiently with minimum noise and comotion, the plane continued to its destination where federal police met the aircraft and took over. The cabin crew were to be congratulated for their response - obviously well trained for emergency procedures.
Latest post on 01 April 2014 - 17:01
Hi, Well I used to fly for GA (4years of torture I say) and I can say that it is BAD.. In my 4 years of flying, I never flew with them (for any of my vacations). its still ok if you are business class. but economy is a nightmare. We used to call it Get Used To Late Flights (GULF - get it!! ;P) Air. and with 3 kids - it is not gonna be easy - just saying.
Latest post on 01 April 2014 - 16:22
HI thanks for all your comments. I have to say I am tempted to fly with them as it saves us 10k! Just checked and they retired the Embraer last year so all remaining aircraft are Airbuses. Also spoke to my bro who works in the industry (supplies Boeing and Airbus) and he says all airlines need to comply with the same safety standards, so as long as the planes are not too old then the difference mainly come down to in-flight service etc which I can live with. Touch wood. Lol! Just need to check there is enough time to change flights in BAH...
Latest post on 01 April 2014 - 14:43
I flew with them once from Frankfurt to DXB, you get what you pay for and there are worst airlines than that... you'll be fine!
Latest post on 01 April 2014 - 14:16
Oh dear... we're actually flying with 3 kids in tow! CrashingWaves... could you pls expand on how they 'differ' from other airlines? Like another user said Business was bearable. DH flew with them a few weeks ago to Thailand. He went first class and complained, and came back Business (no 1st on that flight) and he was pissy to say the least, just all over carp. The Embraer (sp) that they use to fly between DXB and BAH is scary. I have flown that plane a few times in the last year.
Latest post on 01 April 2014 - 13:15
use to fly with Gulf air in the early 2000 Heathrow - Dubai. Im not bothered about service in all honesty as I just sleep or read a book. I cant watch anything ! at that time my son was a baby and to be honest I dont think the service was that bad. was 10 years ago though. stopped flying when our flight was delayed and was stuck in Bahrain during ramadan for 9 hours. started flying royal Brunai after that.
Latest post on 01 April 2014 - 12:59
Ok thanks AshKash. Have you flown with them? Also, does anyone know whether we are likely to get bulkhead seats? Thanks x

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY