Begging scam... also back | ExpatWoman.com

Begging scam... also back

Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 12:43
Hi there! We've got a list of all the common scams here for you... http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_Common_Scams_In_Dubai_8745.aspx Warm regards, EW Admin
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 12:33
I was stopped a few months ago by an Arabic lady, also in an abaya, niqab and gloves in front of Al Razi Building in Health Care City. She told me a story of her sick child in hospital and vaguely pointed at Al Razi. She told me she needed AED 200 for taxi money to get to AD. I told her I did not have that much cash with me and she promptly asked AED 70 for bus money. I feel uncomfortable taking out my purse in public after being threatened at knife point in my old life and my alarm bells were ringing anyway. I told her I had no cash and started walking away. She started talking to my son asking questions about me which I felt uncomfortable about. I am quite certain this was a scam. She appeared to be *expecting* me to give her money and she did not seem the least concerned about her sick child. Nonetheless, I do regret that I did not give her a recharge card or a metro pass with some money on it. I should have, at least, suggested she talks to the clinic her child is at and ask them for assistance, in .e.g calling her family or friends in AD. She could have very well been in a difficult situation and maybe I read the signs wrong. I would hate to walk a way from a person who truly needs help. It was a good reminder for me to keep some cash in the side pocket of my handbag that I can easily hand over. This is an old scam - I have been approached with the same story at least 4 times. It is always a female dressed in an Abaya. Doing the scam inside health care city just gives it more credibility. I used to work there and we even had one come into the office with the same story. It is similar to the "not enough money for petrol to get back to Oman" scam - always done with children in the car to pull on the heart strings. You should not feel guilty - you were being scammed.
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 11:31
The burnt arm fella was in Knoweldge Village and Internet city last week lol! now we can track these s*ums where ever they do their tricks.....like following celebrities on tweeter!
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 11:23
The burnt arm fella was in Knoweldge Village and Internet city last week
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 10:31
If you google you will see Dubai police ask the public to report beggars as so many scams are going on and even some gangs who bring over beggars to make thousands! This was a number printed from a 2013 newspaper article, not sure if still the number. Residents are urged to report beggars on the 800243 hotline. thanks lolacat..
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 10:23
If you google you will see Dubai police ask the public to report beggars as so many scams are going on and even some gangs who bring over beggars to make thousands! This was a number printed from a 2013 newspaper article, not sure if still the number. Residents are urged to report beggars on the 800243 hotline.
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 10:04
i posted back about a lady who keeps coming to our apartment and aiting for like 10 mins infront of our house to get money.. i'm really thinking of reporting her this time. i seriously had enough.. i keep saying i will report her i will report her but then i back out.. i am done this time.. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH..
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 09:40
I was stopped a few months ago by an Arabic lady, also in an abaya, niqab and gloves in front of Al Razi Building in Health Care City. She told me a story of her sick child in hospital and vaguely pointed at Al Razi. She told me she needed AED 200 for taxi money to get to AD. I told her I did not have that much cash with me and she promptly asked AED 70 for bus money. I feel uncomfortable taking out my purse in public after being threatened at knife point in my old life and my alarm bells were ringing anyway. I told her I had no cash and started walking away. She started talking to my son asking questions about me which I felt uncomfortable about. I am quite certain this was a scam. She appeared to be *expecting* me to give her money and she did not seem the least concerned about her sick child. Nonetheless, I do regret that I did not give her a recharge card or a metro pass with some money on it. I should have, at least, suggested she talks to the clinic her child is at and ask them for assistance, in .e.g calling her family or friends in AD. She could have very well been in a difficult situation and maybe I read the signs wrong. I would hate to walk a way from a person who truly needs help. It was a good reminder for me to keep some cash in the side pocket of my handbag that I can easily hand over.
Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 08:59
I wish these people would just go away. I also had the beggar showing me his fake disgusting wound asking for money while I had a baby in my arms! Fortunately I'm an EW golden oldie and knew all about them already ;) . Just disgusting what people will do these days for money and some good people who do not know its a dubai scam give these people cash. I hope a newspaper would run an article about these scams and inform the public.
Latest post on 01 April 2014 - 22:09
Yesterday I was walking behind the Lime Tree Cafe in Jumeira 1 and a man caught my attention. He was of south Asian appearance, tall and slightly overweight. He addressed me as 'sister', in a slightly distressed tone, then proceeded to say something about medicine at the pharmacy. He then pulled up his shirt sleeve to show me a very unsightly open wound on his arm. Had I not heard about this scam I think I would have been quite shocked. As it happened, I even noticed that it was a 'fake' wound made of plastic and stuck onto his arm. So I just replied 'sorry' and walked off. Around an hour later, I was walking out of Magrudy's mall nearby. An arabic lady wearing an abaya, niqab and gloves attracted my attention. She was standing outside the new 'Hermione' boutique opposite Spinneys. She spoke in a thick arabic accent and seemed very earnest and religious. She shook my hand and then showed me an empty blister pack of tablets and said something about a pharmacy. I responded "no, sorry, there was a man over there asking the same thing earlier" and walked off. Please note that these are *not* genuine beggars but people involved in some sort of professional ring. Like the Armani suits trick, this scam has been going on for years.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY