Tortoise Care | ExpatWoman.com

Tortoise Care

Latest post on 02 April 2014 - 11:50

Hi,

Calling experienced tortoise owners??

I would like advice on keeping your torts healthy during the ridiculously hot summer over here,. Do you leave them out over night and have rats proved a problem? I have two hatchlings (around 9mths) That currently go into their secure outside pen during the day but I bring them in a night.

Any advice welcome! Thx

Latest post on 10 April 2014 - 21:02
They might still be a bit small? How big? If they truly are a desert tortoise (as mine is), then there is no reason to ever bring them inside... Mine has come into the bathroom once & that was because of really bad rain... She didn't like it! But my girl is big, 7yrs... We are in AR too. She has no food out or anything that would attract rats, she just eats grass, our silent lawn mower! Do you have sprinklers & wet patches they can get in to to cool off? Shade? Shelter?
Latest post on 05 April 2014 - 08:14
Hi champagneblonde, That is the million dollar question!! When we received them we were told Desert tortoise!! I have posted pictures on a few tortoise web groups and the two possibilities are sulcata's or Tunisian GG... Think I got those right! They seem very content outside and go happily into their caves and burrow to keep themselves cool but I feel like I then disturb them to bring them in, however, I live in the ranches and am paranoid about rats :-(
Latest post on 04 April 2014 - 23:26
What breed?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY