Saheel 1 Security Issues | ExpatWoman.com

Saheel 1 Security Issues

Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 19:41

Has anyone heard about attempted burglaries in Saheel 1? Had a letter through my door today saying some Park Road East residents (backing onto the park/free space) have experienced break ins. Getting nervous....

Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 11:22
This isn’t a post regarding the rights and wrongs of terminology … Regardless of whether you call it a break-in, home invasion, …what does it matter? The point I wanted to make to those living in my community is: lock up because there ARE people trying doors and hoping one will be open (like mine was), If we can make people aware that we aren’t quite as safe as we think then people will stop trying to (break-in) … invade your private space & steal your belongings).
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 17:10
Gosh, I never knew it was illegal to leave your home or car unlocked in the U A E ( don't know if it is same in other countries around the world ) C W where can we find these rules so as to be better informed, have tried looking but maybe you can point me to the correct website link for these rules. Thanks ...................... According to Dubai Police rules, it is illegal to leave your home or car unlocked, so you do leave yourself open to prosecution if they so wished. Of course they will still apprehend the 'Indian' but it is a totally different case to a forced entry.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 08:58
Sorry, don't get your point - if you forget to lock your door it's not a break in , is all .... Touch wood I have no first hand knowledge of any break-ins here .... yet .... lol Splitting hairs a bit isn't it DT? I've been victim of both an intruder through an open window and forcing a door. They both very much felt like break ins and equally rubbish. Perhaps the term 'home invasion' would suit better? I am sure that you would feel violated whichever way it happens, but it is still not technically a break-in, more of illegal entry, but not forced entry. According to Dubai Police rules, it is illegal to leave your home or car unlocked, so you do leave yourself open to prosecution if they so wished. Of course they will still apprehend the 'Indian' but it is a totally different case to a forced entry.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 08:11
Sorry, don't get your point - if you forget to lock your door it's not a break in , is all .... Touch wood I have no first hand knowledge of any break-ins here .... yet .... lol Splitting hairs a bit isn't it DT? I've been victim of both an intruder through an open window and forcing a door. They both very much felt like break ins and equally rubbish. Perhaps the term 'home invasion' would suit better?
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 22:40
Sorry to learn this break in has happened and awful someone can enter ones house/ break in without permission.It is easy to leave a door open in error although I am amazed at some people who leave doors open all the time but maybe they do not have belongings that bother them if broken into and are taken. Not sure if bringing in registration cards for maid and house boys, drivers would be successful ( and would more than likely have to be paid for by residents ). It will be another money making machine rather than addressing security. See the latest venture charging for registration of moving vans in Arabian Ranches . Increasing costs of living again. On a serious note though....even if a side door was mistakenly left unlocked, the illegal entering suggests someone was 'watching' or going house to house checking to see if he could find unlocked doors. I don't really see how this can be addressed. Even with increased security in the form of residents' passes etc., non residents still need access for various reasons, be they gardening, maintenance, deliveries.....there is no way of guaranteeing that everyone who should not be in the community has left once their job is finished. I think vigilance is the only precaution we can take. I am looking into having motion detector lights and an alarm installed. Hoping that would be a major detractor. I have an Arabian Ranches sticker on my windscreen - they've been available for ages, you just fill a form in at Security. If you leave a door unlocked it's not a break-in, just bad luck !! Only a Brit would say that! Getting quite used to crime, are you? Sorry, don't get your point - if you forget to lock your door it's not a break in , is all .... Touch wood I have no first hand knowledge of any break-ins here .... yet .... lol
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 22:54
On a serious note though....even if a side door was mistakenly left unlocked, the illegal entering suggests someone was 'watching' or going house to house checking to see if he could find unlocked doors. I don't really see how this can be addressed. Even with increased security in the form of residents' passes etc., non residents still need access for various reasons, be they gardening, maintenance, deliveries.....there is no way of guaranteeing that everyone who should not be in the community has left once their job is finished. I think vigilance is the only precaution we can take. I am looking into having motion detector lights and an alarm installed. Hoping that would be a major detractor. I have an Arabian Ranches sticker on my windscreen - they've been available for ages, you just fill a form in at Security. If you leave a door unlocked it's not a break-in, just bad luck !! Only a Brit would say that! Getting quite used to crime, are you?
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 22:45
On a serious note though....even if a side door was mistakenly left unlocked, the illegal entering suggests someone was 'watching' or going house to house checking to see if he could find unlocked doors. I don't really see how this can be addressed. Even with increased security in the form of residents' passes etc., non residents still need access for various reasons, be they gardening, maintenance, deliveries.....there is no way of guaranteeing that everyone who should not be in the community has left once their job is finished. I think vigilance is the only precaution we can take. I am looking into having motion detector lights and an alarm installed. Hoping that would be a major detractor. I have an Arabian Ranches sticker on my windscreen - they've been available for ages, you just fill a form in at Security. If you leave a door unlocked it's not a break-in, just bad luck !!
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 22:33
On a serious note though....even if a side door was mistakenly left unlocked, the illegal entering suggests someone was 'watching' or going house to house checking to see if he could find unlocked doors. I don't really see how this can be addressed. Even with increased security in the form of residents' passes etc., non residents still need access for various reasons, be they gardening, maintenance, deliveries.....there is no way of guaranteeing that everyone who should not be in the community has left once their job is finished. I think vigilance is the only precaution we can take. I am looking into having motion detector lights and an alarm installed. Hoping that would be a major detractor.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 21:01
my husband got a good description of the indian guy - police have not caught him and i do feel they are rather useless. Wow, they might be useless if they are looking for an Indian, who might in fact be a Bangladeshi , Sri Lankan or even a British Asian......just curious, did he say that his name is Rahul and that he is from Mumbai.....or did he just look the part? ****Just fallen off my chair!"""""""""""" too funny CW. Maybe his run away speed will help lol
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 20:31
my husband got a good description of the indian guy - police have not caught him and i do feel they are rather useless. Wow, they might be useless if they are looking for an Indian, who might in fact be a Bangladeshi , Sri Lankan or even a British Asian......just curious, did he say that his name is Rahul and that he is from Mumbai.....or did he just look the part?
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 17:36
well to be honest the police said they were very surprised & that not much of this happened around the ranches … i don't know how much of that i believe. since January the break-ins are on the up so its certainly not uncommon anymore. my husband got a good description of the indian guy - no he didn't tackle him because he ran very fast and had left the outside door open to run straight out. he left his shoes at the door - he had taken them off to walk quietly around our house. police have not caught him and i do feel they are rather useless.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 09:55
Rook did your DH not tackle the intruder? He must have done or communicated, they said that he was Indian.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 09:54
Rook did your DH not tackle the intruder?
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:50
Rook, just out of interest, what did the police say? What was their reaction? I.e. did they find it unusual?
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:46
Hi guys, a friend told me about this post so I thought i would send a quick note. I was the person who posted letters through my neighbours doors in Saheel 1. I was broken into (actually we forgot to lock a side door), in January, and he came up our very noisy & creaky staircase at 2.30am, luckily the house woke me & my husband opened the door to see an indian guy standing almost at the top of the staircase with a torch. He only took money from my wallet & left a lot of other bits which were all within reach downstairs.... perhaps he was planning on collecting them on his way out & didn't think (stupidly) that we would wake up! Im amazed at the nerve he had to come up ... obviously very desperate which is sad in itself but no excuse to come into peoples homes. We are partly to blame as forgetting to lock your door isn't great. Dubai has changed a lot and it just isn't as safe anymore. Since Jan, there have been a number of unsettling incidents - as far as I know no breaking - more doors being left open. Security haven't been great but a few days ago I spoke to Emrill who are talking about CCTV cameras, ID badges on residents Cars & registration cards for all maids, house boys & drivers in the area. It's a positive step in the right direction but essentially if we all lock our doors and keep our property safe - then i suspect these chancers will move on.
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 09:17
Hi, yes police and emaar have both been involved. Emaar keep saying they are increasing security, yet this keeps happening!
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 08:31
In response to highlighting concerns in the press, would it be worth contacting 7Days?
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 07:19
Did anyone call the police? I would've guessed that's the natural first step... and would certainly also get more attention from Emaar management...?
Latest post on 07 April 2014 - 20:25
Unfortunately another house was broken into last night in saheel 1, backing on to the same small park i mentioned in my previous post (nr st 1). Again, family was upstairs sleeping and intruders forced open the family room door. I cannot believe that this is still happening. Emaar said they had stepped up patrols. Clearly not in the night when its needed! I have written again to emaar with some suggestions. I would like to see cctv, some sort of proper monitoring of who goes in and out, proper residents ids (this would also help the problem of non AR residents using our facilities as well). Does anyone know amyone in the press that could do a feature on this? I'm sure some negative press might get them moving!
Latest post on 04 April 2014 - 10:19
When I lived in the Ranches almost 5 years ago we also had security issues. I'm SAHM so I was pottering outside quite a lot. Every day I would see people just wandering about, and I knew they were not my neighbours. Must have been house boys, gardeners or people just walking in from outside. I would always lock myself inside, but few times I heard someone trying to open my door, my dogs would start barking and spook the person away, so never got a chance to catch anyone. Worst one was when someone managed to get to my neighbours garden and then use their ladder and try to jump over into my garden. Fortunately my DH and his friend acted quickly .I reported it to security then Emaar but never got any response. The were bike thefts and other items from the car ports, garage thefts. With high cost landlords have to fork out for the maintenance plus tenants are paying their rents to live in a compound, something has to be done to improve this situation.
Latest post on 04 April 2014 - 07:43
We are on saheel st near st 1 and the house opposite us that backs on to a small park was broken into at noght. I spoke with emaar security who said they think it was an inside job ie maid or gardener related. I'm not convinced. I think we all need to make a bit of noise on this, write to [email protected]. Personally i think the security is pretty poor, anyone can drive in. I wonder if when they finish fixing the fence properly that will help, but i think we are sufffering as we are the most accessible community. It makes me very nervous to be honest. We are fixing additional locks, and DH plans on installing security lights as well.
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 22:08
Are you referring to the park near Saheel Gate 4 or near Saheel Gate 1 ? Doors best kept locked and install garage door if villa does not have one and keep it closed. Has anyone heard about attempted burglaries in Saheel 1? Had a letter through my door today saying some Park Road East residents (backing onto the park/free space) have experienced break ins. Getting nervous....
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 21:20
The letter was from a neighbour (whom I don't know) informing me of an attempted burglary in her house (to the extent the burglar made it upstairs) and then her next door neighbour's maid's room into which on the same night there were 2 attempts to intrude.
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 21:01
We are in Saheel 1 and haven't heard anything about it. Who did the letter come from?
Latest post on 03 April 2014 - 20:08
Who was the letter from, Emaar? I'm in the Ranches but not in Saheel and haven't heard anything.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY