Rabies injection overdue | ExpatWoman.com

Rabies injection overdue

Latest post on 13 April 2014 - 14:37

Hi
My friend brought his cat here from UK 18 months ago. All the cats vaccinations were up to date to get the licence to bring it here and now in Dubai it lives indoors. My friend hasn't taken the cat for any boosters so now they will be expired. I have told him it's illegal to have a pets here without the rabies injection so he was going to take his cat to the vet. But now he is worried they will keep the cat in quarantine because it's not up to date.
Does anyone know what will happen if the cat goes to the vet now? Will they just bring the vaccinations up to date or will they report my friend?

Thanks

Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 12:21
Thanks everyone, a great help. The cat is now booked in to have all the injections done.
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 08:05
They will just bring the vaccinations up to date. If he intended to take the cat anywhere else, then breaking the cycle of vaccinations could cause issues if he doesn't keep them up to date. ALL domestic animals must be vaccinated and registered regardless whether they are indoor animals or not.
Latest post on 14 April 2014 - 22:24
The rabbies injection is only an issue if the pet is traveliing back to the UK.Even for an indoor cat, it is worth doing every year. I would not bother with the other vaccinations.
Latest post on 13 April 2014 - 15:21
Nothing will happen. They will not quarantine or take the cat away. I forgot once and ended up vaccinating our dogs and cats after 1 year 9 months and nothing happened.
Latest post on 13 April 2014 - 14:57
Not sure but I think they may have to start from scratch with the rabies. Blood tests and so on. We were advised that it isn't too bad if the regular ones are slightly late, but the rabies can't even be a day late! Never understood this as in most other countries a rabies vac lasts for two years. Best bet ring the local vet and check. <em>edited by Geordie expat on 13/04/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY