Bikram yoga for pregnancy | ExpatWoman.com

Bikram yoga for pregnancy

Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 09:00

I'm currently 15weeks pregnant, any idea if this yoga ok to keep going on or better to get prenatal yoga. I've been asked the instruction and seems they don't know the solution and they referred to my doctor if the doctor ok than go ahead but I want to know further info that can get me peace in mind.

Thank you very much

Latest post on 09 May 2014 - 04:45
From Babycentre's excellent guide to antenatal yoga: "Bikram yoga: also called hot yoga, is generally practised in rooms where the temperature is set at up to 40 degrees C. It's not considered safe in pregnancy, as it can make you overheat." http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1033241/yoga-styles-in-pregnancy?scid=iOS_MPT_Referral&ModPagespeed=noscript
Latest post on 24 April 2014 - 17:52
I had checked online the do's and don'ts bikram yoga for pregnancy, many said if you regular bikram practice before pregnant its not recommended during first trimester but you can go ahead on 2 and 3 trimester since your teacher will help you with modification poses. But Unlike me I was first timer for bikram but I was regular practitioner in Pilates, when I first joined bikram a couple weeks later I realised I'm pregnant, surprisingly I was allowed to do it on first trimester, well I felt better during that time and i enjoyed it so much, i felt much relax, maybe that's why i kept doing it until i passed my first trimester. Basically you have to know your body and you have to be honest and consult with dr and your instructor for what you doing. Unlike Sauna or jacuzzi the heat for bikram yoga is different, in the hot room you sweat so well that the body cools itself down and you don't overheat. So better know your body first and consult with your doctor and instructor before you make decision, what suites for one person doesn't always good for others.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 05:37
You shouldn't have been practising any yoga in first trimester. I'm really surprised your instructor still agreed to have you in the class, assuming you were upfront with them. Bikram is not for pregnancy at all because core temperature is raised too high for baby. The fact they don't know this and also allowed you to practise through early pregnancy speaks poorly for them.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 15:21
Hi, Bikram is not recommended during pregnancy due to overheating and many motions/positions to be avoided. I used to attend regular yoga classes for few years, but teacher ''kicked me out'' immediately once she knew I was pregnant (she is an ayurveda doctor herself). Stick to prenatal classes- in the beginning you might feel weird doing comparably primitive exercises, but safety is first! :-) Good luck!
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 09:33
I believe it's not advised for the same reason as avoiding saunas/steam room - it raises the body core temperature too much. I'll be sticking with the prenatal yoga for now

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY