Another passport renewal question | ExpatWoman.com

Another passport renewal question

Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 13:43

I know this topic has come up lots recently. My situation:

Currently on a 30 day tourist visa (in between jobs)
Need to renew my UK passport

Reading the other posts it seems it will take longer than 30 days to be returned so what do I do if I go over the 30 days + 10 days grace period and I still don't have my passport to do a visa run?

Thanks!

Latest post on 25 April 2014 - 11:05
I really wish you luck , hopefully it shouldn't be too long now. I would also keep an eye out for your old passport by return too. To date all I get told from the British Passport Office is the documents were despatched on the 8 April. I received a call yesterday from the British Embassy in Kuwait. My old passport was sent to a resident there by mistake who very kindly handed it in. I have never been to Kuwait and there was no mention of the place on my application form either. The service just ceases to amaze me.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 23:11
I sent one off almost 6 weeks ago and when I track it it has not been processed yet, so it is definitely taking more than 6 weeks at the moment.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 22:29
It would be a great idea however to be given the OPTION of an express passport service to expats No matter how great an idea it would be, there is no express passport service for expats, just as there is no express service for people within the UK who aren't able to get to a passport office for the same-day service. Everybody just has to deal with the situation that exists now. And of course, most expats *do* deal with the situation, with no problems. Issues generally only arise when people don't think far enough ahead and suddenly realise that they've left renewing their passport to the last minute. The number of people who genuinely end up in that situation through absolutely no fault of their own is going to be *tiny*. Since we don't pay UK income tax, you can't expect the Passport Office to treat expats as any kind of priority or deserving of any special consideration. But that's exactly what you seem to be expecting. Expats however on the other hand really do need their passports not only as a form of ID but also in Dubai for their visas Our passports spend the majority of the year in the drawer, only coming out for holidays, and the once-a-year occasions when we might need to show them, such as when renewing tenancy contracts. The Emirates ID is taking over from the passport as the primary form of identification anyway. I'm sure there will be people reading this who are simmering at my refusal to be deeply sympathetic, and I fully expect plenty of thumbs down for this post, but if people just thought a bit further ahead, they wouldn't have any issues over the length of time it takes to renew a passport. The extremely tiny number of people who are *genuinely* unable, for whatever reason, to renew until the last minute, are regrettable, but no system anywhere is perfect, and some people always fall through the cracks. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 17/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 22:07
I think most people are aware that we don't pay UK income tax at this moment in time but many have done so and will do so again no doubt. It would be a great idea however to be given the OPTION of an express passport service to expats. I am sure many people having a visa issue, for whatever reason, would rather pay a little extra than incur daily fines that start at 700 AED. I think what you seem to not understand is that many residents in the UK probably travel once or twice a year possibly for holidays and the like, the rest of the year they wouldn't need their passports being in their home country. Expats however on the otherhand really do need their passports not only as a form of ID but also in Dubai for their visas. I am sure not everyone can just afford to jump on the next flight out to get a passport renewal and why should they? Having been through it very recently I do understand and empathise with many expats going through it and wish them all good luck.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 21:39
Currently on a 30 day tourist visa (in between jobs) Need to renew my UK passport Since you're between jobs, can't you just find the cheapest possible flight back to the UK, do a long weekend and get a new passport using the same-day service? Remember, we're now into the period when the passport office gets busy, with people renewing their passports before the summer holidays. The two slowest times of year are post-New Year and post-summer, that's when you can get the 10-day turnarounds. Their service for people abroad is unacceptable Why should Britons abroad be treated as special cases? We're not paying UK income tax, after all. Our renewal applications go into the same general pile as everybody else's. Everybody reckons they're a special case, everybody's got a reason for wanting their passport back faster than the next person. The passport office can't listen to every plea for special treatment, especially since they know perfectly well that the vast majority of cases are down to people simply not planning far enough ahead and suddenly realising they need to renew their passport at the last minute. The resources department where I used to work had a big sign above its door - "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part". It's hard to argue with that. edited by Madge_Gustard on 15/04/2014
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 11:01
Then obviously, all you can do is send your passport back and be prepared to pay fines if necessary. The current official estimate for turnaround is "at least 4 weeks".
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 07:04
Thank you for everyone's insight for the process. Madge, unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to have the disposable income to fly home, pay for the same day service, and fly back to Dubai. It will cost too much.
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 23:54
Currently on a 30 day tourist visa (in between jobs) Need to renew my UK passport Since you're between jobs, can't you just find the cheapest possible flight back to the UK, do a long weekend and get a new passport using the same-day service? Remember, we're now into the period when the passport office gets busy, with people renewing their passports before the summer holidays. The two slowest times of year are post-New Year and post-summer, that's when you can get the 10-day turnarounds. Their service for people abroad is unacceptable Why should Britons abroad be treated as special cases? We're not paying UK income tax, after all. Our renewal applications go into the same general pile as everybody else's. Everybody reckons they're a special case, everybody's got a reason for wanting their passport back faster than the next person. The passport office can't listen to every plea for special treatment, especially since they know perfectly well that the vast majority of cases are down to people simply not planning far enough ahead and suddenly realising they need to renew their passport at the last minute. The resources department where I used to work had a big sign above its door - "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part". It's hard to argue with that. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 15/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 14:58
Hi Unfortunately it really does take that long! The new system does not appear to be very efficient. I sent my passport off on the 11th march, it was signed for on the 14th, my passport is still in the processing department. The passport office can give me no idea of how much longer it will take and also bear in mind they will all be off this Friday and Monday. I have made a complaint and tried contacting people higher up but they are all off on their Easter hols! Their service for people abroad is unacceptable. I have told them about the visa situation and the fines but they don't care!
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 14:22
It really doesn't take very long... you just need to chance it really.
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 14:22
Mine was renewed last month and took four weeks to process and then my old passport with current visa was returned 6 days later.
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 14:19
I know this topic has come up lots recently. My situation: Currently on a 30 day tourist visa (in between jobs) Need to renew my UK passport Reading the other posts it seems it will take longer than 30 days to be returned so what do I do if I go over the 30 days + 10 days grace period and I still don't have my passport to do a visa run? Thanks! I think you will be fined for the days you are over My understanding is that it is 100AED per day

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY