Keeping someone's ID card. | ExpatWoman.com

Keeping someone's ID card.

Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 17:21

Security at our gatehouse are asking visitors to deposit their ID cards with security while they're in our community.

Are they allowed to do this?

Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 20:38
Security at our gatehouse are asking visitors to deposit their ID cards with security while they're in our community. Are they allowed to do this? pretty normal for uae, etislat or anywhere government require you to swap id for id, ikea do for wheelchairs, all the malls in uae require id for wheelchair loans etc... so i would think that compounds are just following suit, to make sure you leave.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 14:27
The person who would have been perfect for this has just left :( :D
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 14:16
[b'>Probably not, maybe you can wind up a local resident who enjoys such things and belives they can get it sorted to go and deal with this[/b'>. May be next time get your visitor to ask for evidence of the police permission authority notice form before when asked, it won't take much to baffle the average gate guard. lo A newbie...... :\:
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 14:16
Good luck with that...... I haven't quite convinced myself it's worth the elevated blood pressure... It wont be.,.....
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 14:13
In fairness they're probably doing this due to the recent spike in residential crime i.e. the night time robberies. But they could also avoid holding ID's if they thought out a better system e.g. equipping residents and people who work in the community with communal ID cards, and implementing a permissions system for visitors (for example contacting the villa they are visiting, to prove they are genuine). That would flush out the most obvious thieves at least, and wouldn't require depositing the ID. Sadly many people in charge of access control have no idea.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 13:25
Probably not, maybe you can wind up a local resident who enjoys such things and belives they can get it sorted to go and deal with this. May be next time get your visitor to ask for evidence of the police permission authority notice form before when asked, it won't take much to baffle the average gate guard. lo
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 13:12
Good luck with that...... I haven't quite convinced myself it's worth the elevated blood pressure...
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:18
That would make sense but cars aren't stopped at the gatehouse. Anyone entering the community drives past the gatehouse then goes one way for the shops and businesses, and another way to the barriers to the residential areas, so by the time security know you want access to the houses you're already way past the gatehouse. It would make more sense to move the gatehouse to the entrance of the residential area and have the intercom at the access to the overall community and use it only during the night. There you go applying logic and common sense again SD, lol I would go and visit the director of security and point out 101 what needs to happen. I'd need to go to the developer and talk to them. You can imagine how that will go, can't you...? Good luck with that......
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:16
That would make sense but cars aren't stopped at the gatehouse. Anyone entering the community drives past the gatehouse then goes one way for the shops and businesses, and another way to the barriers to the residential areas, so by the time security know you want access to the houses you're already way past the gatehouse. It would make more sense to move the gatehouse to the entrance of the residential area and have the intercom at the access to the overall community and use it only during the night. There you go applying logic and common sense again SD, lol I would go and visit the director of security and point out 101 what needs to happen. I'd need to go to the developer and talk to them. You can imagine how that will go, can't you...?
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:13
That would make sense but cars aren't stopped at the gatehouse. Anyone entering the community drives past the gatehouse then goes one way for the shops and businesses, and another way to the barriers to the residential areas, so by the time security know you want access to the houses you're already way past the gatehouse. It would make more sense to move the gatehouse to the entrance of the residential area and have the intercom at the access to the overall community and use it only during the night. There you go applying logic and common sense again SD, lol I would go and visit the director of security and point out 101 what needs to happen. All well and good if head of security had the capability of thinking......... but here, that would be unlikely
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:12
That would make sense but cars aren't stopped at the gatehouse. Anyone entering the community drives past the gatehouse then goes one way for the shops and businesses, and another way to the barriers to the residential areas, so by the time security know you want access to the houses you're already way past the gatehouse. It would make more sense to move the gatehouse to the entrance of the residential area and have the intercom at the access to the overall community and use it only during the night. There you go applying logic and common sense again SD, lol I would go and visit the director of security and point out 101 what needs to happen.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:10
That would make sense but cars aren't stopped at the gatehouse. Anyone entering the community drives past the gatehouse then goes one way for the shops and businesses, and another way to the barriers to the residential areas, so by the time security know you want access to the houses you're already way past the gatehouse. It would make more sense to move the gatehouse to the entrance of the residential area and have the intercom at the access to the overall community and use it only during the night.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:07
For a gatehouse they can just take the car plate number and name of guest visiting or an ID card number if the really want to. Only in Saudi and Diplomatic compounds would i expect to hand over such ID. Even here in DSO we don't have that but every car is recorded on camera and numbers taken.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 06:10
It's a very ill thought out system. A friend of mine did this yesterday was told to return to the gatehouse and hand in her ID. Unless she reversed back alone the road, around the roundabout and up to the gatehouse, she would have to drive out of the community, onto the E11, take two u-turns and re-enter the community. She managed to argue her way out of doing that.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 00:17
I have come across this a lot. I usually claim I don't have it on me. They rarely turn you away. What can they do? If you do hand it over always check you get the right one back. I have been given the wrong one before and only realised when I was ages away and had to turn back....
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 21:04
Security at our gatehouse are asking visitors to deposit their ID cards with security while they're in our community. Are they allowed to do this? My children's school security insists all visitors, including parents, deposit some type of ID when visiting the school. I don't know if it is legal, but it is a good Ida for a school, I think. It seems a bit extreme for a residential compound, though. <em>edited by Azdhu on 15/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 20:25
I would say no and drive on.
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 20:07
A bit OTT for a compound, i'd tell them where to go.
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 18:16
Good plan :)
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 18:09
Pretty normal in Dubai. For this purpose solely I keep an expired ID card in my wallet. They don't tend to have a look at the expiry date and the ID card is therefore useless, so no crying in case they lose it. They're happy and I'm happy :-)
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 17:26
It's not highly secure where I live :D I'm not sure if they give you a gate pass in exchange though.
Latest post on 15 April 2014 - 17:23
Hmm - an office building I know which is highly secure takes any ID/Driving License cards, swaps them for an access pass and then returns the ID when the access pass is returned - I guess it is similar. They are definitely allowed to do this in this building.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY