IELTS or TOEFL .......which one would be preferable? | ExpatWoman.com

IELTS or TOEFL .......which one would be preferable?

Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:01

Dearest ladies
I have to write one of these to apply for my PGCE course. As English is not my first language ,which one should I choose to sit for so that I can get through fairly easily. Or are they the same? As a first timer,it would also help if someone could suggest where I can do these in Dubai?
All help highly appreciated.

MB

Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 13:41
I believe IELTS is more convenient than TOEFL. For example if you spell colour/color IELTS will accept both but if you use colour in TOEFL they will not accept. Same goes for many other words. And most of the Unis here accept both IELTS and TOEFL.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 10:59
sorry for over looking... BC conducts IELTS and IGCSE.....
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 10:46
British Council do not conduct TOEFL as it's American. I think Scoreplus offer TOEFL
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 09:29
British Council conducts these exams IELTS and TOEFL on a regular basis, try contacting them for further details.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 09:22
Both of these tests are designed to test you knowledge of English. They are quite different in format. The TOEFL has three main sections 1. Listening comprehension: 50 questions: multiple choice 2. Grammar: usually 40 questions, you have to know your grammar rules very well for this section. 3. Reading: usually 5 passages with about 10 questions per passage. The topics vary but usually have to do with science, business, natural history. You don't have to know about the topic as the information is provided and then you have multiple choice answers. There is also a test of written English with this exam. You have 30 minutes to write an essay on a topic that is provided. The grade for this written essay is separate from the TOEFL exam. The IELTS test has four sections, including a speaking component. The writing section is based on two essays, one that is 150 words and one that is 250 words. The IELTS does not focus on grammar the way that the TOEFL test does. You will have to decide what your strengths are with regards to the English language as the tests are fundamentally quite different. Also, be sure to check what the minimum score required is for the university that you wish to attend. I hope that information helps.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:14
A Bachelors degree and pass (i am note sure of the marks)in any one of the mentioned tests .
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 08:02
What are your course requirements?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY