IMPORTANT - Parvovirus in UAE | ExpatWoman.com

IMPORTANT - Parvovirus in UAE

Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 18:11

There have been many cases reported of dogs being affected by parvovirus in UAE. One kennel had to close temporarily and send all the dogs back to their owners as there were a few dogs who got affected. Best way is to keep your dog up to date with all vaccinations, because, if contracted, it could be fatal for a dog. Here is a link to know more about this virus and it's symptoms. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/parvovirus

Here is a youtube video of Dr Andy from the British Veterinary Hospital in Dubai explaining the importance of vaccinations and parvovirus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwycKPcAIs

Please share this info to all dog owners. Keep your dogs safe. Note, cats are not affected by this virus.

Admin please do not delete as this page has the maximum coverage. Thanks.

Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 21:33
Ok, thank you ladies .
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 21:19
As Lolacat has mentioned already, If your dog's vaccinated then not to worry. No vaccine is a 100%. This is true for both humans and animals. It all depends on the immunity of the animal and human. Just make sure everything is cleaned up after she has pooped and I would avoid letting her sniff another dog's leftovers.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 21:15
Thank you so much Lolacat. I have just checked her passport, but it's not easy to understand exactly what she is covered for, but like I say,born at our house, travelled from France to Switzerland ( with 1 week in kennels) and then to Dubai, things were pretty strict! But ,I am not an expert and there is always something new to be careful of, thank you again for confirming.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 20:59
Evening ladies, I have just watched the YouTube link, thank you. Is there a ' special' vaccination we need to give, or as long as our dogs have been vaccinated since birth, they are covered? Just wondering ,if no answer ,I will contact the vet tomorrow. Our dog was born at our house and vaccinated for everything since birth, and always kept up to date, is there something more I should do ? Is it still ' safe ' to walk her? I have never heard of this disease before, it sounds horrendous!!! Then your dog will have been vaccinated with Parvo, it is one of the basics nothing special or extra, so panic not. It's rife as so many puppies/dogs come with passports that state they have been vaccinated, normally taken with a pinch of salt as easily fab/replicated. For new owners who do not recognise a reliable Dubai veterinary practice stamp and signature i would always advise starting all over again. Unfortunate and expensive but gives peace of mind. Parvo is a horrible disease and a killer.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 20:55
Evening ladies, I have just watched the YouTube link, thank you. Is there a ' special' vaccination we need to give, or as long as our dogs have been vaccinated since birth, they are covered? Just wondering ,if no answer ,I will contact the vet tomorrow. Our dog was born at our house and vaccinated for everything since birth, and always kept up to date, is there something more I should do ? Is it still ' safe ' to walk her? I have never heard of this disease before, it sounds horrendous!!!
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 20:27
Very very true. Responsible ownership is required and there are far to many who just don't take it seriously. Unfortunately, most of these irresponsible owners feed the puppy farm markets too.
Latest post on 16 April 2014 - 19:45
Parvo has always been rife, with so many "imports" of unvaccinated puppies and puppy farms. Owners are stupid if they don't get their dogs vaccinated.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY