California wedding.... Dress code | ExpatWoman.com

California wedding.... Dress code

Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:18

Hi ladies,
Need some fashion advice!
I'm going to a wedding in May and I don't know what to wear.... According to the bride, it is a smart casual affair and she suggests cocktail dresses for ladies. The wedding venue is a vineyard with the ceremony being help at 4pm.
I usually prefer maxi dresses but I don't think it will be very practical for walking and dancing as I don't want to be tripping all over it and holding it up.... So I was thinking a midi dress or knee length?
I am not a keen shopper so I would really appreciate some suggestions/links/stores to have a look at.
My husband quite liked this dress
http://www.zara.com/ae/en/woman/dresses/printed-dress-c358003p1894002.html
But I think it is not wedding-y enough, even with some accessories....

Please help me!

Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 23:36
Depends where in California the vineyard is. If it's in Sonoma, Napa, Carmel, Saratoga/ Los Gatos area, or an upmarket area of Southern California, then you need to wear something a bit smarter, people are quite fashion-savvy there. For other areas, the Zara dress and accessories is a great choice, and you may even out-dress other guests ;) You could smarten up the dress by pairing it with a white or coral blazer instead of a pashmina.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 23:06
Thanks mrsb. See, I thought the same thing with the "smart casual and cocktail dress" explanation... :) I think I will accessorise it a bit, find a matching pashmina, some nice jewellery, etc. I have cute orange and gold strappy sandals, so I will build on that. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 20:21
Smart casual and cocktail dress do not go together. The Zara dress in the photo is smart casual and very pretty. It is definitely not a cocktail dress, I don't think. The Zara dress, with a some nice accessories, a pashmina, and strappy shoes would be ideal, I think for a 4pm wedding. It is a 4pm wedding, so not a formal or even a cocktail event, traditionally. Perhaps the protocols in the USA are different - I don't know about that.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 19:08
Thanks GE. Any advice on accessories? ( I am useless at co-ordinating anything...) Chunky jewellery? Hat? Scarf? Personally I don't like chunky jewellery, but that's just me. With a dress like that you could choose a contrasting hat and shoes etc. Do you have an idea of what the weather should be like as that will dictate what else you would need? DH checked online and according to the website it says high of 22 degrees and lows of 14 degrees.... But at the moment it's 26 degrees, so go figure...?! :)
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 19:03
I'd say head straight to this store called LIPSY... at most of the malls... they have a FAB collection of both daytime and evening cocktail dresses... check out their online uk store for specific items you may be interested in http://www.lipsy.co.uk/store/dress-shop I did have a looksie online and I'm afraid my knees are too chunky for their hemlines. But I'll go to MOE, you never know.... Thanks for the tip!
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:54
Thanks GE. Any advice on accessories? ( I am useless at co-ordinating anything...) Chunky jewellery? Hat? Scarf? Personally I don't like chunky jewellery, but that's just me. With a dress like that you could choose a contrasting hat and shoes etc. Do you have an idea of what the weather should be like as that will dictate what else you would need?
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:42
I'd say head straight to this store called LIPSY... at most of the malls... they have a FAB collection of both daytime and evening cocktail dresses... check out their online uk store for specific items you may be interested in http://www.lipsy.co.uk/store/dress-shop
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:40
Thanks GE. Any advice on accessories? ( I am useless at co-ordinating anything...) Chunky jewellery? Hat? Scarf?
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:30
Personally I like the dress and my stance on weddings is, as long as you feel comfortable and don't outdo the bride, you're fine. Once you've added some accessories you'll feel more like a wedding.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY