Does it bother you | ExpatWoman.com

Does it bother you

Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 15:09

When service people chat in their own language in front of you? For example, you are getting your nails done and they chat in Tagalog the whole time?

Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 14:48
they do that all the time, I have staff who come from mauritius who stand near an english disabled client who is verbal and they chat in their language non stop for hours as if she wasnt there!! had to be told off but what do you do to the vietnamese girls doing your nails/feet/hands? they go on and on even in england. Rude rude!!
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 13:24
And it does annoy me when they constantly talk in their own language while doing my hands/feet. It's often 2 girls at the time so they chat away and laugh and I don't know what they're talking about. I often just have a chat with them for a bit, I mean they do need normal human interaction apart from no not this colour and file it round. I think it does happen automatically, when I am with my friends and one of them is from the same country as me, we tend to fall into our language. But we do make sure we keep that to a minimum or explain to anyone who overheard what we are talking about. Recently our villa was for sale and one of the agents was Turkish. One time she turned up to meet a client for a viewing and after a few minutes it came out that the client was also Turkish - the rest of the viewing was conducted by the two of them going through my home, opening cupboards etc jabbering away in Turkish (including giggling) with me following on behind feeling like a spare part ... Most unprofessional I thought since the lady's English had been perfect at the start... Was she your agent or the potential buyer's? That would make a difference to me. If yours, highly unprofessional indeed, if the buyer's, totally understandable. Better Homes, engaged by our Landlord.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 12:20
And it does annoy me when they constantly talk in their own language while doing my hands/feet. It's often 2 girls at the time so they chat away and laugh and I don't know what they're talking about. I often just have a chat with them for a bit, I mean they do need normal human interaction apart from no not this colour and file it round. I think it does happen automatically, when I am with my friends and one of them is from the same country as me, we tend to fall into our language. But we do make sure we keep that to a minimum or explain to anyone who overheard what we are talking about. Recently our villa was for sale and one of the agents was Turkish. One time she turned up to meet a client for a viewing and after a few minutes it came out that the client was also Turkish - the rest of the viewing was conducted by the two of them going through my home, opening cupboards etc jabbering away in Turkish (including giggling) with me following on behind feeling like a spare part ... Most unprofessional I thought since the lady's English had been perfect at the start... I had a similar experience when we were preparing to return home to Scotland and were selling/giving away stuff. An Indian couple came to our apartment to collect bed linen and kitchen stuff. They initially spoke to me in perfect English then started wandering about the apartment pointing to other items that were not for sale or giving away, chattering to each other in their own language. I'm afraid I stopped them and asked them to speak in English while they were in our "home" They left in a strop carrying a couple of bags of stuff. They wanted furnishings which were not on the list!!
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 12:16
And it does annoy me when they constantly talk in their own language while doing my hands/feet. It's often 2 girls at the time so they chat away and laugh and I don't know what they're talking about. I often just have a chat with them for a bit, I mean they do need normal human interaction apart from no not this colour and file it round. I think it does happen automatically, when I am with my friends and one of them is from the same country as me, we tend to fall into our language. But we do make sure we keep that to a minimum or explain to anyone who overheard what we are talking about. Recently our villa was for sale and one of the agents was Turkish. One time she turned up to meet a client for a viewing and after a few minutes it came out that the client was also Turkish - the rest of the viewing was conducted by the two of them going through my home, opening cupboards etc jabbering away in Turkish (including giggling) with me following on behind feeling like a spare part ... Most unprofessional I thought since the lady's English had been perfect at the start... Was she your agent or the potential buyer's? That would make a difference to me. If yours, highly unprofessional indeed, if the buyer's, totally understandable.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 12:09
And it does annoy me when they constantly talk in their own language while doing my hands/feet. It's often 2 girls at the time so they chat away and laugh and I don't know what they're talking about. I often just have a chat with them for a bit, I mean they do need normal human interaction apart from no not this colour and file it round. I think it does happen automatically, when I am with my friends and one of them is from the same country as me, we tend to fall into our language. But we do make sure we keep that to a minimum or explain to anyone who overheard what we are talking about. Recently our villa was for sale and one of the agents was Turkish. One time she turned up to meet a client for a viewing and after a few minutes it came out that the client was also Turkish - the rest of the viewing was conducted by the two of them going through my home, opening cupboards etc jabbering away in Turkish (including giggling) with me following on behind feeling like a spare part ... Most unprofessional I thought since the lady's English had been perfect at the start...
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 11:55
And it does annoy me when they constantly talk in their own language while doing my hands/feet. It's often 2 girls at the time so they chat away and laugh and I don't know what they're talking about. I often just have a chat with them for a bit, I mean they do need normal human interaction apart from no not this colour and file it round. I think it does happen automatically, when I am with my friends and one of them is from the same country as me, we tend to fall into our language. But we do make sure we keep that to a minimum or explain to anyone who overheard what we are talking about.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 11:52
Most salon girls have no filter whatsoever. I don't appreciate them pointing out my flaws, I am aware of them thank you. The other thing that gets to me is their nosiness! "From where you are madaaaaaam?" Holland. "Your husband Emiratiiiiii?" No. "Oooooh why you dress like thaaaaat?" (points at abaya and shayla) I am Muslim. "Oooooooooh" Ugh.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 11:37
Recently I tried a new place for waxing. The girl looks at my legs in bewilderment and says "Mam - why you have all the dot dot dot all over your body?!" She was referring to my freckles. Then she acted a bit offended that I declined her request to see them on the rest of my body. Im not sensitive about having freckles in the least, but I think it would be a good idea if training for jobs in spas included a bit about it being impolite to comment on clients bodies....
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 11:19
I always like (not) the comment...Madame, you have such a beautiful face followed by shame you are so fat...And at a hairdressers once (one of those very cheap salon type ones) I explained how I wanted my hair cut, she cuts it totally different and says she couldn't cut it how I wanted as my face is too fat and it would make me look even fatter...Nothing like a trip to a salon to make you feel better...lol
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 01:54
I was in a Salon in Thailand where a girl said "Madam, you so fat now". Like I needed to be told I'd put on weight. Thanks.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 01:00
As a complete aside, years ago I had a similar experience on holiday in North Wales where the shop assistants would be happily chatting in English until you entered the shop and then they would switch to talking in Welsh ... so I guess it's not just a Dubai thing ... lol
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 21:57
Its not the chit-chat I mind, its how it distracts them from their work, I see this especially at a cash register. I have been through countless rounds of waiting at a till, being served very deliberately, and then nine times out of ten, a pal will sidle up to ask for some help, or to giggle over something, or the till person himself/herself needs some help with some inane procedure,(you would think working in a large store they'd have been through every type of transaction at least a dozen times but no, a tiny new twist like a new barcode, will completely throw them off), and then before you know it you have lost so much time, its like watching muddy rivers and waiting for the sand to settle, it takes forever, it seems like a slo-mo movie. Nine times out of ten, I kid you not. The only place where they seem on the ball is places like Spinneys, anywhere else like mall stores, Carrefour, and oh my god Centerpoint, cant forget that store.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 21:57
Agree with most posters. It is rude; no matter which language. Agree Tips n Toes particularly culpable in this regard.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 21:51
It absolutely infuriates me beyond belief. It is incredibly rude and unprofessional. I have, on occasions, asked salon staff to stop chatting and concentrate on what they are doing. I can't relax when they are chatting with each other.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:36
I find it rude whatever language to be honest .....
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:20
It doesn't bother me and I prefer it to being asked did I see Eastenders last night and where are you going on holiday?
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:05
You ladies are just jealous that you don't speak a language hardly anybody else knows. I bet you would do the same if you could. ? And no, it doesn't bother me. These girls work extremely long hours in an awkward position so I'm always happy to see them enjoy themselves. If you're kind to them it will not be on your expense and anyway, if it was I wouldn't care.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 18:41
Was it the salon thread that reminded you to get your nails done this morning ? Ha! No ... this particular incident happened at a restaurant and then again at Spinneys. But the most common is at Tips and Toes! Yes it does and that is why I have always used the Nail Spa - the most professional ladies out there!
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 18:06
Yes, this would bother me in any language and not just in salons. Idle chitchat in front of customers is very unprofessional. I used to work as a bagger and as a cashier in a supermarket and we were never allowed to chitchat with each other in front of customers and I hated the bosses for that... Years later and older and wiser, I can see why they don't allow this. When I go to the USA and see the teenage cashier flirting with the bagger while ringing up my groceries, I get really annoyed... Totally agree Anon. I had quite a few jobs in the service industry when I was a student and there is no way chatting with a colleague when I was attending to a customer would have been tolerated in any of them.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 17:22
Yes, this would bother me in any language and not just in salons. Idle chitchat in front of customers is very unprofessional. I used to work as a bagger and as a cashier in a supermarket and we were never allowed to chitchat with each other in front of customers and I hated the bosses for that... Years later and older and wiser, I can see why they don't allow this. When I go to the USA and see the teenage cashier flirting with the bagger while ringing up my groceries, I get really annoyed...
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 17:12
Yes it bothers me at a spa or salon. <em>edited by Phoenix77 on 18/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 16:23
Yes, at N. Bar in Palm Strip Mall.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 16:15
No. I am only annoyed when they are candid about my feet. My feet are big and I have a hereditary foot disfigurement, and I dont return to salons where the employee exclaims, "Madam, your feet are so big and ugly!" They didn't say that to you? Really?
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 16:03
No. I am only annoyed when they are candid about my feet. My feet are big and I have a hereditary foot disfigurement, and I dont return to salons where the employee exclaims, "Madam, your feet are so big and ugly!"
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 15:43
If I'm paying to be pampered then chatting to colleagues is not part of the package, so yes I would be bothered. I mean you never know what they could be saying ;) "Here's that big fat beached whale again" "Wonder if the ugly beach is gonna tip me" "Wonder what her husband sees in her, hmmm wonder what his address is?" "Look at the wrinkles on that, she needs more than just a facial" "Here's that hairy monster again, I could fill a wig with the hairs from her legs" "I hope she's not going to ask me for a full Brazilian next" <em>edited by Alismum on 18/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 15:24
No
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 15:21
Was it the salon thread that reminded you to get your nails done this morning ? Ha! No ... this particular incident happened at a restaurant and then again at Spinneys. But the most common is at Tips and Toes!
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 15:18
Was it the salon thread that reminded you to get your nails done this morning ?
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 15:17
It annoys me regardless of language! I find it just plain rude.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 15:15
No... as long as they are being pleasant towards me.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY