Apple Mac tuition | ExpatWoman.com

Apple Mac tuition

Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 19:04

Started new job and required new laptop so after having iPhone and iPad thought it would be logical to get a Mac Pro. My friends all said once you become familiar you'll never look back. We'll I've had it for a month and I'm struggling with so many things that I would have been able to do with trusty old laptop and windows xp. Apart from online tutorials I want advice on local training in Dubai where I can get some help as I'm stressing....it's taking me so much longer to do everything :)

Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 20:57
please dont give up on Mac yet! It honestly is so easy to use, and you will really be able to become more efficient than ever! just keep this thread alive, if you have any questions etc. if you are REALLY desperate, i'm sure that SAE institute in knowledge village used to do MAC intro lessons...
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 20:13
I can rename the file whilst using iPhoto but when you attach it to email it doesn't retain the changed name file instead reverts back to image number given by camera at download No it doesn't :) You've misunderstood what's happening. What you are doing is changing the [i'>title[/i'> of the photo in the iPhoto database, you are *not* changing its filename. Title and filename are two different things. You might have the title of "All the family on the beach, April 2014" for an image with the filename IMG12345.jpg. I did a quick Google of this "problem" (it's not really a problem at all), and the people who are complaining about it have had the situation explained to them. Doing it that way allows maximum flexibility. You can give photos long, descriptive titles, much longer than would be appropriate or even useful for a filename. If you really need to change the filename, you either have to export the image and rename it before dragging it into an email (if you export it [File> Export'> there are several options for naming the file - including using the Title as a Filename), or go into the iPhoto pictures folder (Pictures>iPhoto Library>Originals), find it, and rename it directly in there. edited by Madge_Gustard on 19/04/2014 Ok I've misunderstood I accept I have lots to yet understand about my Mac so back to original request does anyone know where I can get some training for Mac as my brain still wants to work with windows xp
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 15:34
I can rename the file whilst using iPhoto but when you attach it to email it doesn't retain the changed name file instead reverts back to image number given by camera at download No it doesn't :) You've misunderstood what's happening. What you are doing is changing the [i'>title[/i'> of the photo in the iPhoto database, you are *not* changing its filename. Title and filename are two different things. You might have the title of "All the family on the beach, April 2014" for an image with the filename IMG12345.jpg. I did a quick Google of this "problem" (it's not really a problem at all), and the people who are complaining about it have had the situation explained to them. Doing it that way allows maximum flexibility. You can give photos long, descriptive titles, much longer than would be appropriate or even useful for a filename. If you really need to change the filename, you either have to export the image and rename it before dragging it into an email (if you export it [File&gt; Export'> there are several options for naming the file - including using the Title as a Filename), or go into the iPhoto pictures folder (Pictures&gt;iPhoto Library&gt;Originals), find it, and rename it directly in there. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 19/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 07:13
Audrey - I'm your woman if you find a course :)
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 00:51
I am so sorry to hear you are not happy with your MacBook. I am a recent covert to Mac and just love it - I have my iPad, iPhone and MacBook all connect through iCloud. Currently, I am having loads of fun exploring iBooks and throwing together a few small books for work. Once you get used to it, you will never look back. You just need someone to show you.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 22:49
I feel your pain Audrey. I went over to an Iphone and Macbook Pro last week and apart from doing things with the first few icons on the Macbook Ive done nothing else. Unlike you however I never really found my way round my old computer either. I could do letters and things but excel or the likes would have me sitting crying in frustration. I would joke that I'm a technical dinosaur but it began to fall flat on my ears and I started to feel really stupid. I decided a new start was called for so I did the change over though my kids just went along with it because it was my birthday - they think its a mistake. My husband knows when to keep quiet. Anyway I'm taking it very slowly, a few minutes per day. I really only use the phone for calls and messages and its just today my daughter told me if I want to reject a call I didn't have to answer the phone then hang up on the person. Its what I'd been doing. I really don't get this 'google it thing' for the simple reason of you dont know what you're supposed to be doing - how the blazes can you google it? If you dont know what the phone and macbook can do - how do you know what to look for. One really neat thing I have discovered though is that I can prop my phone up against the computer screen and multi-task. If you find a course to do I'll sign up to do it later in the summer. Oh dr thank goodness I'm not alone! My dh unlike yours happily tells me "I told you not to buy it". I'm more than ok with word and excel and have downloaded it to my Mac but having problems with scanning and renaming pictures and then attaching them to an email is causing me problems! Setting up favourites and wanting it to do same and more than my xp is frustrating! If I find a course (in Australia & UK apple stores offer tuition) maybe we can go together as I just need the basics. Good luck Desert Rose :) to rename a file click on its label, then press the enter key, this will change the colour of the label and you can just retype the new name then enter to save it. To add a picture to an email just drag and drop. I can rename the file whilst using iPhoto but when you attach it to email it doesn't retain the changed name file instead reverts back to image number given by camera at download......looking at apple forums this is proving to he problem for lots of users. I'm a gems parent so aware of their courses but they don't have a Mac course in near future :( thats a pain, if you drag and drop from iPhoto to another folder or desktop, the rename and drag and drop into email, is there still a problem (other than the time factor)? I think reading through apple forum there's no solution using iPhoto. I did resolve it by using pictures in my download but it's these small things that you would assume should work in a logical way (based on my windows experience) that are causing me issues. This is why I think a training course would be what I need as maybe I'd class myself as a intermediate user of windows but definitely a beginner with Mac. Maybe I'll use training excuse to fly home to brisbane and catch up with my daughter and friends!
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 22:36
I feel your pain Audrey. I went over to an Iphone and Macbook Pro last week and apart from doing things with the first few icons on the Macbook Ive done nothing else. Unlike you however I never really found my way round my old computer either. I could do letters and things but excel or the likes would have me sitting crying in frustration. I would joke that I'm a technical dinosaur but it began to fall flat on my ears and I started to feel really stupid. I decided a new start was called for so I did the change over though my kids just went along with it because it was my birthday - they think its a mistake. My husband knows when to keep quiet. Anyway I'm taking it very slowly, a few minutes per day. I really only use the phone for calls and messages and its just today my daughter told me if I want to reject a call I didn't have to answer the phone then hang up on the person. Its what I'd been doing. I really don't get this 'google it thing' for the simple reason of you dont know what you're supposed to be doing - how the blazes can you google it? If you dont know what the phone and macbook can do - how do you know what to look for. One really neat thing I have discovered though is that I can prop my phone up against the computer screen and multi-task. If you find a course to do I'll sign up to do it later in the summer. Oh dr thank goodness I'm not alone! My dh unlike yours happily tells me "I told you not to buy it". I'm more than ok with word and excel and have downloaded it to my Mac but having problems with scanning and renaming pictures and then attaching them to an email is causing me problems! Setting up favourites and wanting it to do same and more than my xp is frustrating! If I find a course (in Australia & UK apple stores offer tuition) maybe we can go together as I just need the basics. Good luck Desert Rose :) to rename a file click on its label, then press the enter key, this will change the colour of the label and you can just retype the new name then enter to save it. To add a picture to an email just drag and drop. I can rename the file whilst using iPhoto but when you attach it to email it doesn't retain the changed name file instead reverts back to image number given by camera at download......looking at apple forums this is proving to he problem for lots of users. I'm a gems parent so aware of their courses but they don't have a Mac course in near future :( thats a pain, if you drag and drop from iPhoto to another folder or desktop, the rename and drag and drop into email, is there still a problem (other than the time factor)?
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 22:22
I feel your pain Audrey. I went over to an Iphone and Macbook Pro last week and apart from doing things with the first few icons on the Macbook Ive done nothing else. Unlike you however I never really found my way round my old computer either. I could do letters and things but excel or the likes would have me sitting crying in frustration. I would joke that I'm a technical dinosaur but it began to fall flat on my ears and I started to feel really stupid. I decided a new start was called for so I did the change over though my kids just went along with it because it was my birthday - they think its a mistake. My husband knows when to keep quiet. Anyway I'm taking it very slowly, a few minutes per day. I really only use the phone for calls and messages and its just today my daughter told me if I want to reject a call I didn't have to answer the phone then hang up on the person. Its what I'd been doing. I really don't get this 'google it thing' for the simple reason of you dont know what you're supposed to be doing - how the blazes can you google it? If you dont know what the phone and macbook can do - how do you know what to look for. One really neat thing I have discovered though is that I can prop my phone up against the computer screen and multi-task. If you find a course to do I'll sign up to do it later in the summer. Oh dr thank goodness I'm not alone! My dh unlike yours happily tells me "I told you not to buy it". I'm more than ok with word and excel and have downloaded it to my Mac but having problems with scanning and renaming pictures and then attaching them to an email is causing me problems! Setting up favourites and wanting it to do same and more than my xp is frustrating! If I find a course (in Australia & UK apple stores offer tuition) maybe we can go together as I just need the basics. Good luck Desert Rose :) to rename a file click on its label, then press the enter key, this will change the colour of the label and you can just retype the new name then enter to save it. To add a picture to an email just drag and drop. I can rename the file whilst using iPhoto but when you attach it to email it doesn't retain the changed name file instead reverts back to image number given by camera at download......looking at apple forums this is proving to he problem for lots of users. I'm a gems parent so aware of their courses but they don't have a Mac course in near future :(
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 22:06
I feel your pain Audrey. I went over to an Iphone and Macbook Pro last week and apart from doing things with the first few icons on the Macbook Ive done nothing else. Unlike you however I never really found my way round my old computer either. I could do letters and things but excel or the likes would have me sitting crying in frustration. I would joke that I'm a technical dinosaur but it began to fall flat on my ears and I started to feel really stupid. I decided a new start was called for so I did the change over though my kids just went along with it because it was my birthday - they think its a mistake. My husband knows when to keep quiet. Anyway I'm taking it very slowly, a few minutes per day. I really only use the phone for calls and messages and its just today my daughter told me if I want to reject a call I didn't have to answer the phone then hang up on the person. Its what I'd been doing. I really don't get this 'google it thing' for the simple reason of you dont know what you're supposed to be doing - how the blazes can you google it? If you dont know what the phone and macbook can do - how do you know what to look for. One really neat thing I have discovered though is that I can prop my phone up against the computer screen and multi-task. If you find a course to do I'll sign up to do it later in the summer. Oh dr thank goodness I'm not alone! My dh unlike yours happily tells me "I told you not to buy it". I'm more than ok with word and excel and have downloaded it to my Mac but having problems with scanning and renaming pictures and then attaching them to an email is causing me problems! Setting up favourites and wanting it to do same and more than my xp is frustrating! If I find a course (in Australia & UK apple stores offer tuition) maybe we can go together as I just need the basics. Good luck Desert Rose :) to rename a file click on its label, then press the enter key, this will change the colour of the label and you can just retype the new name then enter to save it. To add a picture to an email just drag and drop.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 21:12
I love my macbook - I would offer to give you basic tuition but I am off to the Uk for a couple of weeks. However you could try www.gemsictacademy.com It runs at JPS - I haven't been but they do list a basic apple course.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:39
I feel your pain Audrey. I went over to an Iphone and Macbook Pro last week and apart from doing things with the first few icons on the Macbook Ive done nothing else. Unlike you however I never really found my way round my old computer either. I could do letters and things but excel or the likes would have me sitting crying in frustration. I would joke that I'm a technical dinosaur but it began to fall flat on my ears and I started to feel really stupid. I decided a new start was called for so I did the change over though my kids just went along with it because it was my birthday - they think its a mistake. My husband knows when to keep quiet. Anyway I'm taking it very slowly, a few minutes per day. I really only use the phone for calls and messages and its just today my daughter told me if I want to reject a call I didn't have to answer the phone then hang up on the person. Its what I'd been doing. I really don't get this 'google it thing' for the simple reason of you dont know what you're supposed to be doing - how the blazes can you google it? If you dont know what the phone and macbook can do - how do you know what to look for. One really neat thing I have discovered though is that I can prop my phone up against the computer screen and multi-task. If you find a course to do I'll sign up to do it later in the summer. Oh dr thank goodness I'm not alone! My dh unlike yours happily tells me "I told you not to buy it". I'm more than ok with word and excel and have downloaded it to my Mac but having problems with scanning and renaming pictures and then attaching them to an email is causing me problems! Setting up favourites and wanting it to do same and more than my xp is frustrating! If I find a course (in Australia & UK apple stores offer tuition) maybe we can go together as I just need the basics. Good luck Desert Rose :)
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:33
I use my Mac in PC mode.... I defected to Windows at age 15 and have never returned to Mac OS. Maybe I need to join you ladies for a computer literacy update! Anyone else play "where in the world is Carmen Sandiago?" or "Oregon Trail" on Apple Mac II? <em>edited by Apricot on 18/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:17
I feel your pain Audrey. I went over to an Iphone and Macbook Pro last week and apart from doing things with the first few icons on the Macbook Ive done nothing else. Unlike you however I never really found my way round my old computer either. I could do letters and things but excel or the likes would have me sitting crying in frustration. I would joke that I'm a technical dinosaur but it began to fall flat on my ears and I started to feel really stupid. I decided a new start was called for so I did the change over though my kids just went along with it because it was my birthday - they think its a mistake. My husband knows when to keep quiet. Anyway I'm taking it very slowly, a few minutes per day. I really only use the phone for calls and messages and its just today my daughter told me if I want to reject a call I didn't have to answer the phone then hang up on the person. Its what I'd been doing. I really don't get this 'google it thing' for the simple reason of you dont know what you're supposed to be doing - how the blazes can you google it? If you dont know what the phone and macbook can do - how do you know what to look for. One really neat thing I have discovered though is that I can prop my phone up against the computer screen and multi-task. If you find a course to do I'll sign up to do it later in the summer.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY