Is Thailand safe? | ExpatWoman.com

Is Thailand safe?

Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 19:51

For a group of teenagers on their own? Phuket? Son wants to go on holiday I have serious doubts but I have never been there myself. Advice please?

Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:43
A group of my daughter's friends went there after they graduated last summer. I gather it was pretty much how you would imagine it. They were 17 and 18 years old at the time. For most of them it was a pre-uni present from their parents. My daughter already had other plans so we didn't have to have any discussion about it.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:36
I was in Koh Samui and to be honest I wouldnt send teenagers on their own. The S$x scene etc, not good for youngsters.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:33
if you put a group of teenagers in a situation where drugs and alcohol are readily available you are asking for trouble, no matter how mature you think they are.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:30
Drugs, Alcohol and teenagers.... in a country where the former has the death penalty.... Malaysia also has a death penalty, doesn't stop the country from being a tourist destination.. Yes but i dont think its' quite the paaaaarty paradise as Phuket for a gaggle of teenagers. Hmm, thats true.. however teenagers can create mischief anywhere. to be frank, it depends on how mature the group is rather than the destination they are heading for.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:25
Drugs, Alcohol and teenagers.... in a country where the former has the death penalty.... Malaysia also has a death penalty, doesn't stop the country from being a tourist destination.. Yes but i dont think its' quite the paaaaarty paradise as Phuket for a gaggle of teenagers.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:24
Drugs, Alcohol and teenagers.... in a country where the former has the death penalty.... Malaysia also has a death penalty, doesn't stop the country from being a tourist destination..
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:19
Drugs, Alcohol and teenagers.... in a country where the former has the death penalty....
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:18
I recently came from a trip from Phuket. It is an amazing place to relax and experience the Thai culture. It is a very safe place, as I spent 10 days there without experiencing or hearing about any incidents. The only thing to worry about is having too much fun!!
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 23:20
That said, I spent months in south east Asia (plenty of full moon parties) and always felt safe, and then got mugged after only 6 hours in Spain, walked past a blood stain and a chalk outline after a murder my first week in Dublin, (and rang 999 three times in the 8 months I spent there) had a guy try to drug me in Rome and had a gun pulled on me in Prague, so anywhere can be dangerous. I think if you are sensible then south east Asia is actually comparatively safe. edited by kiwispiers on 19/04/2014 Edited to apologise if I have now freaked you out, luckily my mum doesn't read EW! edited by kiwispiers on 19/04/2014 Why did I get a thumbs down for this??? <em>edited by kiwispiers on 19/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 23:08
Thailand is safe, in that I would feel quite comfortable taking my two small children there on a holiday, it is very tourist friendly, English is commonly spoken and the Thai people are lovely. Whether or not it is safe for a teenager depends on how sensible the teen. I went to Thailand with friends several times in my late teens and early twenties. It's fair to say there is an established party scene. Things your son will have to contend with are motor bikes, strip bars, prostitutes, lady men, gem scams (so many get sucked in by these!) dance parties and drugs. It's worth mentioning that Thailand has the death penalty for drug smuggling. Speed can be bought over the counter in some pharmacies. I don't think a group of 16 year olds would have the maturity/life experience to deal with these things, but then 16 year olds shouldn't really be going anywhere without supervision. Older teens (18+) it honestly depends on the kids, how sensible they are and how well travelled.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 19:10
For a group of teenagers on their own? Phuket? Son wants to go on holiday I have serious doubts but I have never been there myself. Advice please? How 'teen' is your son that he can travel on his own? I personally wouldnt send a teenage child overseas without a proper adult to supervise...
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 16:42
We were in Bangkok last week and travelled from north to south. We saw no trouble or protests and did not feel at all unsafe. I would also question whether Thailand is an appropriate destination for a group of teenagers. Have you seen sun, s*x and suspicious parents on the BBC? Are the going to full moon parties? I know you have to let the apron strings go but I wouldn't let my kids go. <em>edited by weebles on 19/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 15:42
We have just come back from Thailand. We were in Phuket for 3 days and Ko Samui for 5. We flew into Phuket as we wanted to avoid Bangkok for safety reasons. I have to say we didn't see a single thing related to the political uprising. So in terms of that I don't think you have anything to worry about. Safe in terms of sending teenagers on their own to Thailand...well that's another thing all together ;)
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:56
I'd say Phuket is as "safe" as anywhere would be for teenagers let loose on holiday. The troubles in Bangkok are a side issue. it's a judgement call really, all you can do is assess your own child's capability to make wise decisions even when under peer pressure, and hope for the best. They can get into danger anywhere when they are off the leash.
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:49
I don't know wht u mean exactly by safe..but I've been to Phuket and I Wudnt send my teenager on unsupervised trip ...it's too much. Have u seen the hangover? It's pretty much like Tht..
Latest post on 18 April 2014 - 20:38
Normally would be fine however we was looking to go and travel agent send a email with regards to the probs in Bangkok so maybe somewhere else for the time being ...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY