Very disappointed with the education we get here... | ExpatWoman.com

Very disappointed with the education we get here...

Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 15:26

My DD goes to a known British Curriculum school in Dubai. It's almost end of Year 2 and she does not know how to read simple words like Would, could, tough, awful… not only that she is not able to process what she is reading and tell say the take out.
She is a very smart one, her numeracy skills are excellent, but you would expect a minimum level of reading and writing at her age, given the huge amount that we pay for education.
I spoke to her teacher, n his tip was to get her a tutor! which i ended up doing but what could the poor lady do with her in 3 hrs a week to reach an acceptable level of reading n writing.

is there anyone out there in the same situation/ could share thoughts n tips...

Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 19:21
You could also look at the UK curriculum spelling resource for teachers. If you miss out the teaching parts it has words to show you the progress from Year 2-6. Although the teaching focus is helpful if you want to further support at home. http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/687/1/01109-2009PDF-EN_01.pdf Also look at Babcock pathway for the new 2014 curriculum. http://www.babcock-education.co.uk/ldp/v.asp?rootid=17&level2=391&depth=3&level3=872&folderid=872 It would also be worth revisiting your child's phonics knowledge to ensure she has this in place to support spelling. Ask the teacher about thus. No teacher should be recommending a tutor so openly and you do need to talk with the Head of Year regarding this.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 17:48
My DD goes to a known British Curriculum school in Dubai. It's almost end of Year 2 and she does not know how to read simple words like Would, could, tough, awful… not only that she is not able to process what she is reading and tell say the take out. She is a very smart one, her numeracy skills are excellent, but you would expect a minimum level of reading and writing at her age, given the huge amount that we pay for education. I spoke to her teacher, n his tip was to get her a tutor! which i ended up doing but what could the poor lady do with her in 3 hrs a week to reach an acceptable level of reading n writing. is there anyone out there in the same situation/ could share thoughts n tips... You can not leave education to any school, reading especially should have been done since a baby in the home. Go to your head of year and discuss your daughter and what the school are going to do to help her. If that gets nowhere go to the Head of school and ask why his staff are suggesting tutors for a year 2 child. What a joke that is. If you get nothing back, get KHDA involved.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 17:07
http://www.highfrequencywords.org/
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 17:03
Thanks Olene n Skiingfreak @ Skiingfreak, is there a website that has these words, her school only sent the very basic red words. If you just type in high frequency words year 2 in a search engine it will come up with them, have a look at the year 1 words also to work on these x
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 16:53
Thanks Olene n Skiingfreak @ Skiingfreak, is there a website that has these words, her school only sent the very basic red words.
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 16:22
I had problems with my daughter in the UK when she couldn't learn her 100 HFW's, we were constantly badgered by the teacher about it but it was a struggle as she didn't want to sit and study (she was in Year 1 then), so I printed off all the 100 words and another 100 on A4 sheets and stuck them all over my house, it didn't look great but it meant that whatever we were doing, brushing hair, washing etc., walking up the stairs, she could see some words everywhere and it became a fun game to read them. Within 4 days of doing this the transformation was incredible, not only had she learnt the initial 100 but half of the next 100 too. I put stars and stickers on the papers each time she got the word. I do this now with my 4 year old and it has made a massive difference to him too, he loves the game and now proactively starts reading the words without any persuasion. I was cross initially in the UK that I was being harassed by the teacher about this, I have 3 kids and its hard giving them all help sometimes, but it really showed me that even just small efforts at home to support the teachers by finding different methods your child will respond to can make a massive difference to their learning, and thus their confidence and appetite to learn. Good luck with it xxx
Latest post on 19 April 2014 - 15:33
Sitting and reading with your daughter on a daily/bedtime basis will help. As will writing with her. Education comes in many forms. A school and a tutor are only a part of her education. You are a major influence and contributor so take some time and help her. It's clear that school is not enough from what you have written. If that makes no difference maybe she has dyslexic problems?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY