Is it cruel.... | ExpatWoman.com

Is it cruel....

Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 07:42

I have three cats - 2 male arabian maus and one female british blue - both boys can take care of themselves and like to wander but always return home; both are agile and are good jumpers / climbers.

The girl is tiny (less than 3 kg) and thinks she is atila the hun but is quite pathetic really. She is also 8 years old, so getting on abit.

Is it cruel to get a cat flap and only give the boys access to it?
<em>edited by IzzyOnTheSeat on 20/04/2014</em>

Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 16:09
Cats just got to love em.... heres me last night up and down my compound, can hear a baby kitty crying. Today I go out again and go to neighbours at the back of me, have a 4 week old. Now im off to the vet to pick up baby milk and kitten food, the family dont have a clue.... they were trying to fed it spam.... poor thing is so hungry.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:57
i think my cat of little brain would do the same... Pedigrees eh???? Look pretty :D Yes, love him to bits, but our 2 mogs have much more sense :)
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:56
Well cat flap has been ordered.... and will be installed on Saturday. She will just have to suck it up that only the boys can go outside. :) Have you thought bout getting her a harness!!! could be an idea. Then you can gradually see if she will be ok to venture out on her own. We did that with our cat of little brain and he nearly hung himself ! I didnt mean that the cat be left alone with the harness on. He wasn't left alone. It's worse than having kids ;)
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:55
Well cat flap has been ordered.... and will be installed on Saturday. She will just have to suck it up that only the boys can go outside. :) Have you thought bout getting her a harness!!! could be an idea. Then you can gradually see if she will be ok to venture out on her own. We did that with our cat of little brain and he nearly hung himself ! I didnt mean that the cat be left alone with the harness on.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:47
i think my cat of little brain would do the same... Pedigrees eh???? Look pretty :D
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:18
Well cat flap has been ordered.... and will be installed on Saturday. She will just have to suck it up that only the boys can go outside. :) Have you thought bout getting her a harness!!! could be an idea. Then you can gradually see if she will be ok to venture out on her own. We did that with our cat of little brain and he nearly hung himself !
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:16
Well cat flap has been ordered.... and will be installed on Saturday. She will just have to suck it up that only the boys can go outside. :) Have you thought bout getting her a harness!!! could be an idea. Then you can gradually see if she will be ok to venture out on her own.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:15
Well cat flap has been ordered.... and will be installed on Saturday. She will just have to suck it up that only the boys can go outside. :) She'll be fine, just find her some treats she likes and spoil her a little. Now I remember why we always had male cats ;)
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:12
Well cat flap has been ordered.... and will be installed on Saturday. She will just have to suck it up that only the boys can go outside. :)
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:09
Izzy she'll adjust, they always do. Our three always had access to a cat flap where ever we lived back in the UK, but when we first moved here they were kept in for over six months. Now they seem to know that they only go out when we're at home and are always back in the garden by half nine to ten at night. Go with what you feel is right for her, you know her best, but I'm sure she won't suffer.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:04
my boys been house cats for 5 years.. now we have a garden with very high walls, they love going out. So no its not cruel to keep you kitty indoors, if thats what its used too. But is it cruel to let two go out and not one? No its not..... if the cat will be harmed then the owner is only protecting the kitty. Cats dont think like us.... whereas human kids would ask why cant I go out. Cats are different.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 15:00
my boys been house cats for 5 years.. now we have a garden with very high walls, they love going out. So no its not cruel to keep you kitty indoors, if thats what its used too. But is it cruel to let two go out and not one?
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 14:59
my boys been house cats for 5 years.. now we have a garden with very high walls, they love going out. So no its not cruel to keep you kitty indoors, if thats what its used too.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 14:57
That's what i kinda do - she is allowed in the yard when i am there.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 14:53
To be honest I'd be keeping her in permanently. At least our Bengal of very little brain has the sense to only hiss at our two and next doors cats. He keeps well away from strange cats. And I don't think he actually goes much further than the neighbour's gardens.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 14:36
well all kitties went out this morning at 6 am after their brakfast, the girl stayed near while the boys were up and over the wall.... They were out for about half an hour before howling to come back in.... The girl is quite aggressive.... she hisses and snarls at one of the boys everytime he passes her, he then turns round and looks at her.... she then proceeds to poo herself - and this is with a cat she knows; i dread to think of one who is aggressive back .
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 14:11
Izzy, just as an aside on this subject and being at home playing 'Norman the Doorman' to our three. This time of year may be best to allow her to go out with the 'big boys'. Ours have all been out and back in within a few minutes. She may be ok as long as you ensure she's locked down overnight.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 13:13
ooh - next time.....
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 13:10
The magnets are not necessary to get through. We found that one out. I just ordered one.... do not tell me that now. Wish I'd known as I would have suggested the ones which work with their microchips
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:49
The magnets are not necessary to get through. We found that one out. I just ordered one.... do not tell me that now.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:46
The magnets are not necessary to get through. We found that one out.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:44
We have a tiny but feisty female cat who can certainly hold her own with the local moggies, toms included!! I've seen her squaring up to our neighbour's "panther" who is a huge neutered tom. He just looks at her in complete disdain and walks away, leaving her hissing and spitting! It's hilarious! All kidding aside, if you are worried about her safety, especially with feral cats, then I can understand you wishing to keep her indoors with limited access to the outdoors. I just know that trying that with mine would be like trying to pin jelly to a tree! :D
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 10:10
to be really honest, i think she would like the peace and quiet of not having to "play" with two adolescent boys...
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 10:07
Need to dash right now. But how stressed would she get seeing the others out, or could she be left in another room, with all her toys :) while they have the freedom to roam?
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 10:02
I do that - well when i am outside she is allowed out but the boys are speedy and are up and over the wall before i can grab them and i dont' want them to be locked out all day in summer...... the girl is not so agile so i can usually grab her and i can usually "see" what she is thinking (back to beign smart)
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 10:00
anyway - is it cruel to keep one in and let the boys go out and play? Is there any way you can do what we do with our Bengal and just let her out while you're in the house?
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 09:49
anyway - is it cruel to keep one in and let the boys go out and play?
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 09:44
She's not particularly blessed in the brains department.... so am not sure she would work it out... That is indeed a very cruel thing to say ? Not really - i have watched her stand on both sides of a closed box and still try and open it..... Some may call that inquisitive, not necessarily "not particularly blessed in the brain department". Soooo Cruel........ she had two paws on each lid - and trying to open it..... i would call that stoopid :D Oke, you win. ?
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 09:41
She's not particularly blessed in the brains department.... so am not sure she would work it out... That is indeed a very cruel thing to say ? Not really - i have watched her stand on both sides of a closed box and still try and open it..... Some may call that inquisitive, not necessarily "not particularly blessed in the brain department". Soooo Cruel........ she had two paws on each lid - and trying to open it..... i would call that stoopid :D
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 09:39
She's not particularly blessed in the brains department.... so am not sure she would work it out... That is indeed a very cruel thing to say ? Not really - i have watched her stand on both sides of a closed box and still try and open it..... Some may call that inquisitive, not necessarily "not particularly blessed in the brain department". Soooo Cruel........

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY